The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
He would be instant starter imo. Already better or as good as anything you have now. Would not sign to sit on bench.
I'd hate to see Coquelin benched from the start. After stupid loans, he came and had instant impact on the team and hopefully opened Wenger's eyes re defensive midfielders. He's been superb and anyone who comes should get his place by performances, not because of a name or price tag.

To be honest I do think the Cech signing is getting a bit overhyped by Arsenal fans (moreso on other places), he's a good signing no doubt but in my view you already have good keepers, Ospina for example just look at his recent performance against Colombia.

In my view if you are serious about challenging title you can't go into a season relying on Coquelin, if he gets injured you're back with Flamini most likely.

You definitely need to still strengthen in a few key areas, striker, CM (guessing you've just been outmatched in fee/wages for Schneiderlin because he is exactly what you needed ). Still not entirely convinced with your CB situation either if I'm honest.
How is the Cech signing overhyped? Ospina has NEVER made a save as good as that for Arsenal. Firstly, we would have knocked Monaco out of the Champions League with Cech. He would put have conceded those 2 soft goals. Ospina flapped at a ball in the North London Derby and missed a corner, for Kane to score a tap in. He was terrible in that game and always parries the ball back into the danger area. He let Nathaniel Clyne score straight down the middle from 30 odd yards out in the capital one cup and did the same against Kondogbia. He was too slow to a simple save against Swansea at home, which Gomis scored and he was out jumped by a striker against West Brom despite keepers being able to use their hands.

Ospina has cost us 6 goals in half a season with this situation.

Szczesny gave away a simple penalty at home to Galatasaraay while 4-0 up and got sent off for a professional foul and made 2 huge errors to gift Southampton a win at Saint Mary's. Those errors and soft goals conceded cost us 5 points in the season. The gap between us and Chelsea was 12 last season. We'd have arguably gone further in the champions league and COC with a better keeper.

Ospin concedes soft goals, while Szczesny is much more talented, but makes more errors. Don't let Ospina's best game ever fool you. There's a reason he cost only £3 million at 25 years of age. He conceded many soft goals at Nice, including being chipped from long range on his goal line by Ibrahimovic! If it were down to me, I'd keep Szczesny. He could learn a thing or two from Cech and hopefully cut out the errors.

Cech is huge improvement on GK department and a really good signing. Ospina while good goalkeeper is just a good goalkeeper while Cech is excellent.

I agree Coquelin alone isn't enough and I'm quietly hoping we will see news about Flamini being sold soon.

According to reports Schneiderlin is getting 150k with Utd and hefty signing bonus and he just isn't worth that for us. I really think we are still in for midfielder and a striker and hopefully those will be top shelf purchases. CB signing isn't needed at all. Koscielny as an individual is perhaps currently the best CB in the league and I think Gabriel will take his place alongside him next season and they will prove to be a tough unit.
We've just signed a cb. Mertesacker has zero to prove as a CB. Koscielny/Mertesacker went 2 years without losing, playing with each other. The BBC and The Telegraph have reported that Wenger was targeting a CB and defensive midfielder, while striker is a bonus and only will be signed if he's world class.

What's everyone's opinion on William Carvalho? We were strongly linked with him last summer though it died away eventually. He's been magnificent at the U-21 championships.

I don't think theres a chance with Vidal. Not with Pirlo gone and Pogba going. If you sign he should be starter, he is lightyears ahead of Coq!

Don't exactly know about lightyears as if you look at Coq simply as what he was supposed to do (shield b4) he was best in his role in Prem last season.

The Sun: Wenger planning on offloading six players (Podolski, Flamini, Ospina, Jenkinson, Campbell and Sanogo).

Who in God's name would be interested in Flamini seriously. On a brighter note, at least Podolski's imminent offloading (to Galatasaray I'm assuming) covers Cech's wages.

The Sun: Wenger planning on offloading six players (Podolski, Flamini, Ospina, Jenkinson, Campbell and Sanogo).

Podolski and Ospina sales are probably done or almost there. Offloading Flamini will be bit harder, but I think we might get couple mil out from him.

Sanogo will probably go on loan to France or if Premier League club is interested there. Jenko as mentioned in rumour thread either on loan or permanently to WHU. I'd hope for loan deal as he might be ready to take Debuchy's spot if he can manage season like last.

Campbell will probably get a chance in pre-season, but he's behind both Ox and even Gnabry so permanent deal away could be best for both sides.

Out goings might not end there as Wenger might want to loan players like Martinez, Hayden, Zelalem, Gnabry and Akpom after pre-season.

Who in God's name would be interested in Flamini seriously. On a brighter note, at least Podolski's imminent offloading (to Galatasaray I'm assuming) covers Cech's wages.

He could still be useful for some Prem sides. I doubt we could get much of a fee for him. Also move back to France might be and option, but again probably on a free.

gKEvCXwg_normal.png
Sky Sports News HQ
@SkySportsNewsHQ BREAKING: @Podolski10 to complete move from @Arsenal to @GalatasaraySK this afternoon. #SSNHQ

Sky Italia have reported that Napoli have rejected a £42.5 million bid because they want the full £67.5 million release clause! That's crazy! The player wants to leave and they reject that much?

WTF hes not worth either of those prices!
No Napoli player is worth that much. Imo, he's worth the £42.5 million, because you can't get a striker as good in the transfer market atm. He definitely isn't worth nearly £70 million though. Napoli are madmen for rejecting that much for an unhappy player.

No Napoli player is worth that much. Imo, he's worth the £42.5 million, because you can't get a striker as good in the transfer market atm. He definitely isn't worth nearly £70 million though. Napoli are madmen for rejecting that much for an unhappy player.
I would never pay that much in a million years for Higuian 32-35m pounds max.

Back