The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Jogging 6 miles and covering distance in football at top level is entirely different ;)

It's not just moving your legs to propel forward, it's high intensity sprints, physical battle, think and concentrate for 90 mins on you next move, slide, tackle, win the ball, look for pass and make appropriate off the ball movement.

You know I was messing around though?

Obviously it's tiring lol.

Both teams will be tired though ;)

And Sacchi demanded a ridiculous amount of pressing, it was abnormal and got results but as Maldini said, you can't keep doing that forever. Didn't do him any harm in the long run haha

Last edited:

And Sacchi demanded a ridiculous amount of pressing, it was abnormal and got results but as Maldini said, you can't keep doing that forever. Didn't do him any harm in the long run haha

You listen to any Milan player who played under him (and Maldini if you care to not just cut quotes); and they all say he worked them exceptionally hard and it took some real getting used to initially. But he turned them into the fittest players in Italy and they were still going the end of games when others weren't.

The point being you NEVER heard Milan players under him complaining about being tired and letting performances dip down to it. They may of been, but they just got on with it without all the benefits afforded to the players of today.

Yeah, them old timers Kloppites and Koppites..

Also few insights on to why football players are tired.

But Klopp said players shouldn't be tired.

I think my percentage of sprint falls to about 10% after running around for 10 minutes haha

It's not about getting results, it's about players not getting tired just because they play football. It's obvious Milan team of 90s were exhausted and Capello's time was welcome change for them. Point is players were tired but as per few tiring is just modern trend and they have manager who doesn't give tiring excuse.

SAF used to rotate a lot and give few players break in Dec/Jan to recover.

Also Sacchi's Milan was not all about results. They just won 1 league title and multiple European cups. It was Capello who won multiple league titles but it was Saccchi's team and he was the one who laid foundation.

All these tiring is just excuses **** is just nonsense.

You listen to any Milan player who played under him (and Maldini if you care to not just cut quotes); and they all say he worked them exceptionally hard and it took some real getting used to initially. But he turned them into the fittest players in Italy and they were still going the end of games when others weren't.

The point being you NEVER heard Milan players under him complaining about being tired and letting performances dip down to it. They may of been, but they just got on with it without all the benefits afforded to the players of today.

If you see Maldini's interview (video) he says they were exhausted mentally and team performance dipped, it was time for change and Capello addition was much welcome for them.

Sacchi used to make them practice without ball and make runs based on imaginary scenarios.

..... Sacchi used to make them practice without ball and make runs based on imaginary scenarios.

Getting off topic but that's always been something that's blown my mind. As it initially did the Milan players.

He'd literally walk though whole games, as well as have them run scenarios, without the ball as an aid to get them mentally ready so everything was second nature. I really can't imagine doing that at all, and as the likes of Gullet say, the players initially laughed and thought 'WTF has Berlusconi gone and done here? This fella's a clown' But the more and more they did it, the more it paid off on the park and they understood the logic behind it.

One of the most bizarre and innovative training moves I've ever heard of. But it worked.

The shoe salesman certainly was ahead of his time in completely revolutionised not only Milan but Serie A in general.

Haha just ??

Why would you make the team work that way if you didn't think it would get results??

I mean Just 1 league title. They won multiple european cups.

It got results? Yes. Not as good as like say Barca who won everything. End of his reign all the players were exhausted and it was right for Sacchi to go.

Here it is.
[video]https://youtu.be/TIwj2sxPtQE?t=573[/video]

This isn't about whether the Milan team won or not, whether football players get tired and exhausted which they do and it's not even modern trend as said by few here.

This isn't about whether the Milan team won or not, whether football players get tired and exhausted which they do and it's not even modern trend as said by few here.

I thought this whole thing was about using tiredness as an excuse?

Haha just ??

Why would you make the team work that way if you didn't think it would get results??

First title in 9 years. 3rd and 2nd place finishes the other 2. One to the Maradona inspired Napoli. And back to wins in the biggest prize in the game. Not too shabby.

Always amuses me when people try knock Ancelotti through his lack of titles he's perceived to 'should of won'; when the man has won the biggest prize of all a joint record three times.

Getting off topic but that's always been something that's blown my mind. As it initially did the Milan players.

He'd literally walk though whole games, as well as have them run scenarios, without the ball as an aid to get them mentally ready so everything was second nature. I really can't imagine doing that at all, and as the likes of Gullet say, the players initially laughed and thought 'WTF has Berlusconi gone and done here? This fella's a clown' But the more and more they did it, the more it paid off on the park and they understood the logic behind it.

One of the most bizarre and innovative training moves I've ever heard of. But it worked.

The shoe salesman certainly was ahead of his time in completely revolutionised not only Milan but Serie A in general.

But that was short term and those methods won't work long term. Like many said by the end of his term players were just exhausted. There is no way anyone can stay focused for years like Sacchi demanded.

Brilliant? Yes. It was something Milan needed at that time and they took Europe by storm and were fantastic side. Sacchi doesn't rate any team that doesn't play as a team, meaning players should stay close and move as single person. That's why he rates Barca as the best. To achieve that the methods he used was incredible but it was short term.

First title in 9 years. 3rd and 2nd place finishes the other 2. One to the Maradona inspired Napoli. And back to wins in the biggest prize in the game. Not too shabby.

Always amuses me when people try knock Ancelotti through his lack of titles he's perceived to 'should of won'; when the man has won the biggest prize of all a joint record three times.

That doesn't mean his league record is poor. For the manager who has always managed one of the biggest clubs in the world his league record is poor.

Football is a contact sport, bro. Jogging isn't.

You could put olympic-level runner on the pitch, and chances are he wouldn't be able to keep up after first collision with a defender. If he was even able to continue the game.

Its the same weird comparision as comparing football with tennis. "Football players are lazy, Roger Federer can play for 5 hours everyday and doesn't look tired". Well sure, kick Roger with the studs once, lets see how long he'll be able to keep up after that.

Last edited:
Football is a contact sport, bro. Jogging isn't.

You could put olympic-level runner on the pitch, and chances are he wouldn't be able to keep up after first collision with a defender. If he was even able to continue the game.

Its the same weird comparision as comparing football with tennis. "Football players are lazy, Roger Federer can play for 5 hours everyday and doesn't look tired". Well sure, kick Roger with the studs once, lets see how long he'll be able to keep up after that.

I've repeatedly said I was joking haha.

Army men have it tougher, give army men footballers wages!!! ;)

Barely. And becoming less and less of one with each passing year and each passing rule change in the attacking players favour.

Man, even in the pub league where I play, there's enough pushing, pulling and kicking that any "jogger" who's not used to it run would run for his life. Just because you can't openly attempt to break people's legs and get away with it anymore, doesn't stop it being a contact sport. Even slight push on a person at full sprint can launch them in the air if you hit them right.

And you don't even need contact to catch an injury. Ramos hurt his arm the other day when doing overhead kick, ****, diving can cause injuries if you land wrong. As a general rule, not one person on the pitch is fully fit in middle of a season. They all play with something.

When the ground gives way....cant do much about it.

Campbell cant keep missing chances or he will be sold

Back