The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
I was actually negating Damola or anyone else potentially rolling with Munich tiredness as an excuse after the post, but there's no excuses either way.

You play the games if you want to be in these competitions and be successful. English clubs are too quick to trot out the midweek European travelling bunkum.
We have 10 players injured. We literally had no opportunity to rest anyone. Kieran Gibbs had to come on as a winger and Flamini had to play left back when Debuchy got injured. Let me know how easy it is playing 3 games a week with 10 injuries.

Probably wasn't a good derby for the neutral fan, if thats what you mean.

Before I say anything else, I want to point out that I'm an Arsenal fan and I'm not just bashing on them for the sake of it.

I've never really understood this whole concept of being "tired" as an excuse for a poor performance. I go to work every day, I work 12 hour shifts, including night shifts for 6 days in a row with 3 off afterwards. I travel quite a bit as a result of my job (not in first class on private airlines...I have to drive myself everywhere) and what I do is physically demanding (although, I obviously don't run around for 90+ minutes a day) and I get paid a relative pittance to do it.

If I performed badly at my job, I couldn't go to my boss and say "I'm tired" without expecting to get disciplined or reprimanded for it.

Some of these guys get paid in one week about as much as I earn in one whole year of work. The majority of them are paid a lot more than that. For the money they get paid and the job they do, they should be spending more time devoting themselves to maintaining their fitness and energy levels so that they can give 100% every single match. I have to do the same thing for my job, if I go to work tired and not able to do my job, it's nobody's fault but my own and I'd have to face the consequences.

Being "tired" should not be an excuse for not being able to give 100%, instead we should be asking why they didn't take responsibility for their own fitness and energy levels and make sure they were ready to play and give their all.

On top of that, Spurs played on Thursday 5th November and had one day less to prepare than we did. So if the issue with the poor performance was being "tired" because of a busy schedule, why did Spurs so badly out-perform us for the first 75-80 minutes of the game? What are they doing with their players (that makes them fitter and gives them more energy in between matches) that we're not doing? And why are we not doing it?

I'm getting fed up with all these rubbish excuses for playing badly. It looked to me like nobody in our starting line up (apart from Campbell) even wanted to win. In my opinion, Spurs wanted it more and as a result they outplayed us for the majority of the match.

I kinda agree with you, however, there's a thing called performance. I'm pretty sure most of the players would be able to play 2 times a week if they played, lets say, in the 3rd gear. Somewhere in the middle od their physical capabilities. And that would be perfectly tine if there wasnt absurd amount of money in football. Clubs cannot afford that. They need players to their maximum. I for once, am working somewhat physical job, needing to just be around for most of the time. But in some cases, i need to work really hard. If i would work at that intensity for a couple of weeks, I would be exhausted and even my average performance would look bad.

All part and parcel of football. You get on with it and deal.

You seen what Klopp's been reduced to the past 3 weeks and 7 games? On top of a mammoth trek to a place 500 miles East of Moscow.

And we have seen how good Klopp team has done, losing to might Crystal Palace and drawing most games.

Also comparing Europa league to CL game against Bayern is just wrong. Europa, Liverpool made Rubin Kazan to work, in CL Bayern makes everyone to work their socks off and make them exhaust physically and mentally.

Before I say anything else, I want to point out that I'm an Arsenal fan and I'm not just bashing on them for the sake of it.

I've never really understood this whole concept of being "tired" as an excuse for a poor performance. I go to work every day, I work 12 hour shifts, including night shifts for 6 days in a row with 3 off afterwards. I travel quite a bit as a result of my job (not in first class on private airlines...I have to drive myself everywhere) and what I do is physically demanding (although, I obviously don't run around for 90+ minutes a day) and I get paid a relative pittance to do it.

If I performed badly at my job, I couldn't go to my boss and say "I'm tired" without expecting to get disciplined or reprimanded for it.

Some of these guys get paid in one week about as much as I earn in one whole year of work. The majority of them are paid a lot more than that. For the money they get paid and the job they do, they should be spending more time devoting themselves to maintaining their fitness and energy levels so that they can give 100% every single match. I have to do the same thing for my job, if I go to work tired and not able to do my job, it's nobody's fault but my own and I'd have to face the consequences.

Being "tired" should not be an excuse for not being able to give 100%, instead we should be asking why they didn't take responsibility for their own fitness and energy levels and make sure they were ready to play and give their all.

On top of that, Spurs played on Thursday 5th November and had one day less to prepare than we did. So if the issue with the poor performance was being "tired" because of a busy schedule, why did Spurs so badly out-perform us for the first 75-80 minutes of the game? What are they doing with their players (that makes them fitter and gives them more energy in between matches) that we're not doing? And why are we not doing it?

I'm getting fed up with all these rubbish excuses for playing badly. It looked to me like nobody in our starting line up (apart from Campbell) even wanted to win. In my opinion, Spurs wanted it more and as a result they outplayed us for the majority of the match.

Comparing your regular job with Football always ends up in 1 conclusion. It's wrong. The intensity of the work is nowhere near comparable and playing infront of huge crowd is very demanding than say playing in the park with your mates.

Mental exhaustion is always untouched topic in football till the business end of the season or touched only in the Euros and World cups.

And we have seen how good Klopp team has done, losing to might Crystal Palace and drawing most games.

Also comparing Europa league to CL game against Bayern is just wrong. Europa, Liverpool made Rubin Kazan to work, in CL Bayern makes everyone to work their socks off and make them exhaust physically and mentally.

Naturally. It's you. It's Liverpool. It wouldn't be anything else.

Comparing your regular job with Football always ends up in 1 conclusion. It's wrong

Football is like any other job, and that's the whole point. It doesn't matter if you're a Premier League millionaire, or if you're working entry-level warehouse job. Sometimes we all just wanna throw all this **** away and become potato farmers in Guatemala. The mistake people make is assuming things are different when you're rich and famous. They're not. So maybe you have a private pool and can afford hoookers without scars, but you'll still wake up one day and hate your job.

Football is like any other job, and that's the whole point. It doesn't matter if you're a Premier League millionaire, or if you're working entry-level warehouse job. Sometimes we all just wanna throw all this **** away and become potato farmers in Guatemala. The mistake people make is assuming things are different when you're rich and famous. They're not. So maybe you have a private pool and can afford hoookers without scars, but you'll still wake up one day and hate your job.

It's very very different from your regular 9-5 job. I'm not even talking about the money they earn. Once they sign contract they are asset to the club. Your company won't sell you for millions when other big company are interested in you, no paper write **** about you and you are not under public scrutiny 24*7.

They have incredibly short career and at max good 10-12 years at top but for us till we hit 50s it's the same old boring job. So they aren't bored, if anything they are very much interested so they try to get back in to the game either by coaching or through media (maybe they don't have choice as they know **** all apart from football).

Most players live their dream by playing football, something they loved since they were kids. Us mortals are doing job as we aren't good enough to play any sport.

It's completely different and tbf I can't explain as well as I want to.

Yes maybe they did love football when they were kids but even when you do something you love every single day, it starts to wear you out and then you start to look at it just like any other job. Plus, they love football on the street but probably not the way it is played at the highest level where you have a gazillion different tactical instructions to follow and you are completely restricted on the pitch

Also I hate this money argument. That somehow because footballers earn more $$$ then more should be expected of them. Firstly that really isn't true. We have to remember that for 99% of footballers, they will be lucky if they last at the highest level till they are 30. Then they are pretty much done. So they only have 10 years to make any decent money. Within which, they don't even have a stable job as they can be dropped, transferred or let go by their club any point. They are under constant media scrutiny

Add the fact that most probably sacrificed their education to make it professional. Most don't have a big enough stature to continue attracting sponsorship deals or get to play retirement football in Qatar. You can imagine the difficulty

Some get into coaching or media work where the money is obviously much much less. Most others have to go and rebuild their entire lives again

Back