The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Ever since he stormed out of the stadium last April, I've watched closely. The articles all referenced his indiscipline and disregard of instructions. He pulled this **** under Guardiola who found him hard to manage.

Whether he's frustrated is irrelevant. Doesn't excuse poor professionalism and such a poor attitude/team ethic. He's partially responsible for this.

There's no excuse for ignoring the gameplan. You either put up or go. You don't storm out of the stadium when suits substituted or storm out of training when you like. He shows a complete disregard for teammates and doesn't listen to tactical instructions.

While I agree that Wenger is tactically ambiguous, it's a disgrace that you praise Alexis for being such a poor professional. This isn't to do with Wenger's future. Alexis isn't the football manager. Alexis is a partial reason that the tactical approach doesn't always work.

I agree that Alexis is a poor professional. However, I do feel you are ignoring the larger problem which really comes down to the lack of respect Wenger has among the players that some of them are openly defying his instructions. Also if he really wanted to punish Sanchez then the way he went about it was a disgrace and would only exacerbate the problem.

I hesitate to bring up this example because it might seem like I am banging my own drums but look at the way Conte dealed with Costa when he showed attitude. Straight out of the squad and he only was included once he apologized. Now maybe Conte might not have continued with that approach if we started losing games but it sure as **** was a better way to start things as compared to Wenger.

I'd have him at Chelsea too. To be fair, there isn't a team that would say no to Sanchez.

@damola3 Don't think he will go for a very large sum given the fact that he will be in his last year starting the transfer window.

No team in the world will say no to him. When you have big talents then manging their ego's is part and parcel of the game. Not every elite athlete is like N'Golo Kante. Managers need to command respect from the dressing room and not let anyone undermine their credibility. The easiest way to do that is to win games and make the players buy into your approach.

Its clear as daylight that Wenger has not been able to do that and won't be able to either which I feel is the real issue.

I'd have him at Chelsea too. To be fair, there isn't a team that would say no to Sanchez.

@damola3 Don't think he will go for a very large sum given the fact that he will be in his last year starting the transfer window.
There will be a bidding war. Heard that there's confidence in Paris that he will be signed. Juve have admitted on multiple occasions that he's a target.
I agree that Alexis is a poor professional. However, I do feel you are ignoring the larger problem which really comes down to the lack of respect Wenger has among the players that some of them are openly defying his instructions. Also if he really wanted to punish Sanchez then the way he went about it was a disgrace and would only exacerbate the problem.

I hesitate to bring up this example because it might seem like I am banging my own drums but look at the way Conte dealed with Costa when he showed attitude. Straight out of the squad and he only was included once he apologized. Now maybe Conte might not have continued with that approach if we started losing games but it sure as **** was a better way to start things as compared to Wenger.
I agree that Wenger has been too soft on him. See what he did today? Wenger denied the incident and will now take flak for Alexis' poor professionalism. I'm annoyed even more that Wenger's protected him.
No team in the world will say no to him. When you have big talents then manging their ego's is part and parcel of the game. Not every elite athlete is like N'Golo Kante. Managers need to command respect from the dressing room and not let anyone undermine their credibility. The easiest way to do that is to win games and make the players buy into your approach.

Its clear as daylight that Wenger has not been able to do that and won't be able to either which I feel is the real issue.

I agree with this. He's by no means irreplaceable. I don't want him near my club anymore. To all the other fans dreaming, there's no way that we're selling to a PL rival.

There will be a bidding war. Heard that there's confidence in Paris that he will be signed. Juve have admitted on multiple occasions that he's a target.

I agree that Wenger has been too soft on him. See what he did today? Wenger denied the incident and will now take flak for Alexis' poor professionalism. I'm annoyed even more that Wenger's protected him.

I agree with this. He's by no means irreplaceable. I don't want him near my club anymore. To all the other fans dreaming, there's no way that we're selling to a PL rival.

You mean like RVP, Toure, Clichy, Adebayor wasn't sold to PL rivals.....if the price is right he will go wherever he wants. The player will have far more say in this than the club due to them being stupid amd letting him get into the last year of his deal. You can protest all you like but Arsenal are not the type of club to throw away a 40m+ payday to not sell to a rival.

Ribery and Robben both 33 (ish??) at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised to see Bayern take a look at Sanchez

I have to agree that Alexis's actions are unprofessional. However, I understand them. He has been giving his max on pitch for almost 3 years now, I don't recall him ever having a really bad string of performances. He's the best and most passionate player in the club. I'm pretty sure, when he signed, he was promised an exciting project - like pretty much every club does. Well, that promise was not fulfilled, in fact Alexis was the last "star" transfer.

He wasn't following tactical instructions (allegedly) - again, there is no excuse for this. However, he has been following tactical instruction for 2 seasons (if that happened last April like damola said). Where did that lead him/club? Nowhere, same old story of 4th place and first knockout stage of CL.

What I'm trying to say is, while his actions are not justified, I understand him. He's frustrated. He's been doing his best, he's been listening to instructions, and neither he nor the club progressed. It's best for him to move on I guess. Is that also the best for the club? I'm pretty lot of people would say yes. In my opinion, maybe yes, probably not. It might start the whole circle of selling the best players again - I can see Alexis, Ozil, Bellerín all leaving. Although some swear that's not gonna happen, with Wenger showing no control over players whatsoever, and club's inability to sign targets, I can see it happening really easily.

You mean like RVP, Toure, Clichy, Adebayor wasn't sold to PL rivals.....if the price is right he will go wherever he wants. The player will have far more say in this than the club due to them being stupid amd letting him get into the last year of his deal. You can protest all you like but Arsenal are not the type of club to throw away a 40m+ payday to not sell to a rival.
This isn't 2012 anymore. Ivan Gazidis is a top football man. Going to another PL team is impossible. We wouldn't even loan United Mathieu Debuchy. Anyone who believes that he'd be allowed to move to another BPL team is deluded.

I have to agree that Alexis's actions are unprofessional. However, I understand them. He has been giving his max on pitch for almost 3 years now, I don't recall him ever having a really bad string of performances. He's the best and most passionate player in the club. I'm pretty sure, when he signed, he was promised an exciting project - like pretty much every club does. Well, that promise was not fulfilled, in fact Alexis was the last "star" transfer.

He wasn't following tactical instructions (allegedly) - again, there is no excuse for this. However, he has been following tactical instruction for 2 seasons (if that happened last April like damola said). Where did that lead him/club? Nowhere, same old story of 4th place and first knockout stage of CL.

What I'm trying to say is, while his actions are not justified, I understand him. He's frustrated. He's been doing his best, he's been listening to instructions, and neither he nor the club progressed. It's best for him to move on I guess. Is that also the best for the club? I'm pretty lot of people would say yes. In my opinion, maybe yes, probably not. It might start the whole circle of selling the best players again - I can see Alexis, Ozil, Bellerín all leaving. Although some swear that's not gonna happen, with Wenger showing no control over players whatsoever, and club's inability to sign targets, I can see it happening really easily.
He's definitely not the best player in the club. An in form Oezil carried us to 2 title challenges. Alexis took us to top 4. Where was Alexis last season? He was inconsistent last year and it's ridiculous to repeat the 'he's more passionate' narrative. He isn't the same player than left Barca 3 years ago. He's a much superior player to the one that left.

I have no clue about what's happening with Oezil. Bellerin doesn't even want to leave and has 6.5 years left on his contract.

I can't believe the amount of defence he's getting. This isn't about him leaving. This is his unprofessional behaviour. Look at Mesut Oezil. Loyal to the manager and top professional.

This isn't 2012 anymore. Ivan Gazidis is a top football man. Going to another PL team is impossible. We wouldn't even loan United Mathieu Debuchy. Anyone who believes that he'd be allowed to move to another BPL team is deluded.

No you're deluded the player will go where he wants to go because he has the power here not Arsenal, you're deluded if you think anything else. If he wants to stay in the prem he will because ultimately he can just sit out the last year of his deal and then move where he wants for a mega payday. If you can't see that then this conversation is done

No you're deluded the player will go where he wants to go because he has the power here not Arsenal, you're deluded if you think anything else. If he wants to stay in the prem he will because ultimately he can just sit out the last year of his deal and then move where he wants for a mega payday. If you can't see that then this conversation is done
He isn't going to force a move to another PL club. What makes you think that? Virtually all PL sides are behind the rest of Europe. We already know that Juve and PSG want him. Bayern will likely want replacements for Ribery and Robben.

He isn't going to force a move to another PL club. What makes you think that? Virtually all PL sides are behind the rest of Europe. We already know that Juve and PSG want him. Bayern will likely want replacements for Ribery and Robben.

They're not that far behind and the gap will only get smaller next season and that really is irrelevant it will be what HE HIMSELF wants. This isn't FM where the team with the highest rep gets the player. Maybe he likes the EPL maybe he likes living in London who knows. But you really are clutching here. No point even debating with you really see where he goes in the summer. Oh and for the record I'm not he will move to another EPL side im just saying if he wants to then he ultimately will

They're not that far behind and the gap will only get smaller next season and that really is irrelevant it will be what HE HIMSELF wants. This isn't FM where the team with the highest rep gets the player. Maybe he likes the EPL maybe he likes living in London who knows. But you really are clutching here. No point even debating with you really see where he goes in the summer. Oh and for the record I'm not he will move to another EPL side im just saying if he wants to then he ultimately will
The gap between Chelsea and Juve, Bayern, Madrid, Barca and even Atletico/PSG is huge. These teams could produce a better 11 than our entire league.

The gap between Chelsea and Juve, Bayern, Madrid, Barca and even Atletico/PSG is huge. These teams could produce a better 11 than our entire league.

Thats got nothing to do with who Alexis will sign for, money will be a massive factor and one thing that the EPL is, os cash rich.

You can rule Barca and Madrid because there front 3 are taken care of unless they sell which barca probably not, Madrid may cash in on Benzema but he would also drum up interest from Juve/PSG you would imagine. There is also the turnover rules which are also going to limit barceloan and Madrid and they have more pressing concerns in their teams than signing Alexis. Not saying he wont go but unlikely unless they sell.

Atleri not gunna happen

Leaves PSG, Bayern and Juve as the teams that could realistically afford him. Now he may well want to go to one of those teams but the EPL teams can easily match those in terms of wages especially United, City and Chelsea.

Stop being so obtuse, you say Gazidis is a great football man well realistically he must take the blame for letting your two best players and also highest valued playing assets getting to the last year of their contract. He could easily sign for one of those because at the end of the day money talks. This is the last ill say on it because you are obviously not getting the point given you are trotting out that previous quote

That wasn't even a foul let alone a red. ****** sideline official blind as a bat.

Defo peno and red for me. Second one looked harsh! What the **** Arsene is thinking I will never know. Surely after it goes to 1-2 **** up shop a bit. Not carry on going gun hoe forward, it's just turned out an embarrassment now. For club, fans, Wenger.

Back