The Asian Football Thread.

Lippo255

Reaction score
Decided to start a thread about all things football in Asia, as the sport is rapidly gaining popularity in the region. If you have an opinion, thought, question or just want to talk about football in Asia post here.

Would like to start off by congratulating Wanderers FC on their recent asian champions league victory. As a Sydney fc fan they are my natural enemy but this win is evidence of the fantastic progress the A League & football in general is making in Australia. Well done boys!

How long before fifa abolishes the ociania federation? Its completely redundant!

Would personally love to see New Zealand playing in Asia alongside the Aussies. Revive old rivalries! Think it would be best for the game in the region too!

I was looking at doing it with the editor, but if it can be done?, it would take a more expierenced hand then mine.

Last edited:
Anyone been watching the FFA Cup? What do you reckon?

Watched the bentliegh greens, Perth glory match & thought Bentliegh gave a good account of themselves despite the 3-0 scoreline.
Personally don't see it being a success, long term, without an improvement in lower league structure in OZ. Would still love to see relegation/promotion!

Know I called this the Asian thread but im an aussie so will prob just talk about Oz till someone else joins in lol

Asian Cup kicks off in 54 days, who do you think will win?

Watched Japan demolish Honduras the other night 6-0, they will be tough :S

Japan beat the Aussies in a friendly overnight 2-1, anyone see the game?

By the sounds Australia were well beaten & only scored late on?

Asian cup kicks off in just over an hour! Australia vs Kuwait. COME ON AUSSIE!!!

Jordan vs Iraq

My first real look at FM wonderkid Hamam Tariq. In a word unimpressive. Subbed after just 55 minutes. I know he is only 18 but i honestly cant think of a positive thing to say about his performance. Disappointing as i was excited to see what all the hype was about. :(

To be fair though the entire game was rather uninspiring. Swindon man Yaser Kasim the best of a pretty young Iraqi side. Wouldnt surprise me if they have a very strong team in a few years, a lot of potential despite not playing especially well here.

Final score Iraq 1 - Jordan 0. Yaser Kasim scoring the only goal from a deflected shot.

Quite a tournament for Swindon players so far with Massimo Luongo getting the POM in the Aus v Kuwait game as well.

Continues to be rumours over here that Liverpool are interested in Australia & Club Brugge keeper Mat Ryan. For anyone who has not seen him play check out the Aus v Sth Korea game if you can. His speed off the line & distribution was impeccable!

Btw we lost 1-0 :'(

Timmy Cahill does it again! This time its a bicycle kick, is there anything he cant do?

Bit of a relief as we looked 2nd best to China for most of the first half.

Timmy Cahill does it again! This time its a bicycle kick, is there anything he cant do?

Bit of a relief as we looked 2nd best to China for most of the first half.

How has the Asian cup been received in Australia?

Pretty quietly so far tbh. Getting to the business end now though so things will pick up.

Very tense penalty shoot out between Iran & Iraq to book a spot in the semi's.

Good crowd, great atmosphere & Iraq have won it!!! 7-6

First semi-final will be Sth Korea v Iraq.

Now to see who the Aussies will play. Japan v UAE.

Japan will be favourites but the UAE have been great to watch. They have a young guy, Omar Abdulrahman, who has been very impressive!

UAE in front after just 7 minutes! First time Japan have conceded in the tournament!

2nd penalty shootout of the night! Took Japan 82 minutes to equalise. UAE have defended magnificently!

UAE have done it, they've knocked out the favorites! Honda & Kagawa miss the penalties!!!

What a night of football!!!

Righto, not much conversation here Lippo, so that sucks.

Anyhoo, I didn't follow much of the Asian Championship thus far. Wanted to see more, but Freeview TV in the UK isn't helping!

Iraq and the UAE have obviously come very far, but how do they compare to the likes of Australia and South Korea? I mean on paper the final is very obvious, but how is this perceived at your end?

Righto, not much conversation here Lippo, so that sucks.

Anyhoo, I didn't follow much of the Asian Championship thus far. Wanted to see more, but Freeview TV in the UK isn't helping!

Iraq and the UAE have obviously come very far, but how do they compare to the likes of Australia and South Korea? I mean on paper the final is very obvious, but how is this perceived at your end?

Both Iraq & UAE have pretty young sides, on paper you are right Australia & Sth Korea are definitely favorites but Japan & Iran were 2 of the pre tournament favorites so you never know.

Tbh, i cant see Iraq beating Sth Korea but the UAE could cause the Aussies some probs. They have some real pace upfront & thevery crafty Omar Abdulrahman in the hole behind. Ifthey get an early goal like they did last night, they will be very tough.

Really disappointed with the coverage the Asian Cup gets (at least in Holland). Have watched the games I've seen so far on a Iranian stream.
Shame Uzbekistan is out, have a soft spot for Uzbek football ever since Rivaldo joined Bunyodkor.
Omar Abdulrahman was once again impressive in the matches I've seen of him. Amazing talent. Expecting to see him in Europe soon.

Really disappointed with the coverage the Asian Cup gets (at least in Holland). Have watched the games I've seen so far on a Iranian stream.
Shame Uzbekistan is out, have a soft spot for Uzbek football ever since Rivaldo joined Bunyodkor.
Omar Abdulrahman was once again impressive in the matches I've seen of him. Amazing talent. Expecting to see him in Europe soon.

Shame about the coverage over there mate, has been an enjoyable tournament.

Heard in commentary the other night that Abdulrahman has already turned down a move to Benfica. Will be interested to see who can tempt him away from the middle east.

Funny you mention the Uzbeks, they had a young guy that was pretty impressive as well but for the life of me i cant think of his name!!! Have been wanting to give him a plug!

First semi tonight. South Korea v Iraq. Interested to see if Iraq take a chance & start with Tariq.

Omg, Aussie defender Trent Sainsbury has called Omar Abdulrahman "lazy" ahead of their semi final clash.

I thought he actually worked his *** off against Japan in the Quarters! Was one of the more impressive parts of his performance, that & his cool as a cucumber penalty ;)