The Australian Open Thread

timmsy123

Reaction score
View attachment 125045

The first major tennis grand slam of 2011 is upon us with all players looking to make a winning start to the new year.

Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal are joint 7/4 favourites to win the tournament with the bookmakers, will those two be this years finalists? Or will Murray or another of the top seeds land the title or will there be a major upset?

View attachment 125048v View attachment 125047

Also of note is return of to a grand slam for 2009 US Open champion Juan Martin Del Potro. Will the big Argentinian be able to re find his old form and fitness? He's a 100/1 shot with the bookmakers but if he plays anything close to his old form could spring an upset.

View attachment 125046

Matches are currently live on Eurosport/Eurosport HD

http://www.australianopen.com/en_AU/index.html

What matches are you looking forward to?
Who do you think is going to win?

Last edited:
I put a tenner of Murray at 6/1 this morning, don't think he will win it, and there is a chance he could meet Del Potro on his way to the final, if he gets that far, and a Murray v Del Potro match is always pretty feisty after the arguments they had in the games against each other earlier in their careers.

Would like to see Rafa complete the 'Rafa' Slam as well though, so if he won, I wouldn't be too upset.

I put a tenner of Murray at 6/1 this morning, don't think he will win it, and there is a chance he could meet Del Potro on his way to the final, if he gets that far, and a Murray v Del Potro match is always pretty feisty after the arguments they had in the games against each other earlier in their careers.

Would like to see Rafa complete the 'Rafa' Slam as well though, so if he won, I wouldn't be too upset.

Del Potro is a massive price to win the whole thing to be honest, wouldn't be surprised if he went a fair way in the tournament. Murray isn't a bad shout to be honest, he's won it before but recently when I've watched him he's looked out of form. I don't really have a preference who wins it as long as there's some quality tennis.

Edit - Edited OP

Looks like Gael Monfils could go out in the first round, potentially a minor upset already.

Del Potro is a massive price to win the whole thing to be honest, wouldn't be surprised if he went a fair way in the tournament. Murray isn't a bad shout to be honest, he's won it before but recently when I've watched him he's looked out of form. I don't really have a preference who wins it as long as there's some quality tennis.

Edit - Edited OP
Murray hasn't won any of the Slams

Looks like Gael Monfils could go out in the first round, potentially a minor upset already.
He pulled it back from 2 sets down and a break down, plus the other guy has an injury.

Momentum is with him so he should get through.

Was gonna make an Aussie open thread but fair enough your OP looks better than if I had made one. This and the US open is Murray's best chance to win a slam so hopefully he does it sooner rather than later. Though he's got a tough string of potential matches with Del Potro, Soderling and Rafa in the semis. Oh well to win it he's gotta beat the best ;)

Soderling, Nadal or Del Potro will win.

Lump on.

The Open continues today with a whole host of Round 1 matches...

Went to this 1 or 2 years ago. Saw an amazing match between Del Potro and someone. Just amazingly exciting. Then got tickets to main court and saw Federer showing off :p Want to go again :S

good that Murray managed to get through fairly comfortably :) Hopefully he beats Illya Marchenko as well :)

I love the Australian Open, woke up this morning to find out I'd won a 9 match tennis accumulator that returned £100 :D

Love the Aussie Open. Having free periods in the morning means I can just stay off school and watch the evening matches while I have a relaxed breakfast!

I'd like to see Murray win it, but his second serve looked weak against Beck and top players will exploit that easily. I also like Federer and wouldn't mind him winning again as he looks in good form. Soderling and Djokovic look to be peaking at the right time. As for betting, I put £2 on Djokovic considering the tennis he's playing at the moment. I watch all the Murray matches regardless of times (tennis is my favourite sport...) and I watch any others that are on when I'm up.

I'm going to say with Nadal out Murray is favourite to win it. Please don't let me saying that jinx him

Ferrer will be tough opposition for Murray, unbeaten all this year, but surely a better choice than Nadal! Also, first minor ***** in hi armour with a set lost to Doglopobov or whatever he's called XD