The Battle of the Toon - A Joint Story

bbc20sports.png

Toon sign Argentinian veteran playmaker

Only days into the winter transfer window, the first move has been made by John Beresford and Newcastle. Having made 356 appearances in his career so far, and still only 31, it is fair to say he is quite a superstar. From Boca, to Villarreal and Barcelona, this man has scored 87 goals in his career, quite a bit for an attacking midfielder. He has made 51 appearances for Argentina scoring 17 goals. His current contract at Boca Juniors is running out, and with 6 months left on it, it allows other clubs to bid for him with no fee. This man is none other than Juan Roman Riquelme.

59679riquelme.jpg

Beresford has come out and said that, "Signing Ben Arfa would cost us £5,000,000 and £35,000 a week, whereas Juan Roman only costs us £40,000 a week, with no transfer fee. Ben Arfa will not be signed on a permanent basis, as Riquelme can do a job for 2 or 3 years, and by then young star Haris Vuckic will be ready to replace him."

Many Newcastle fans agree, and although Ben Arfa has been brilliant, they believe that Riquelme can do just as well, and the financial package is a lot better. Some Newcastle fans have said, however, that a younger player would be preferred, the likes of Wilshere mentioned, but the only option would be to loan.

Juan Roman Riquelme, Flop or Fantastic from Beresford? If you are a Newcastle fan, why not tell us what you think. Email us a [email protected] or text us 'YOUR NAME' followed by 'NEWCASTLE' and then your message. Gary will read several out on Saturday's MOTD.

Just for this signing I will follow ;) keep up the good work, both of you !

cracking stuff, that was good luck on the cash injection, think you can do better than henry though, at 33..

He's an option mate, along with several others, who are significantly younger.

Nice updates guys. Keep it up. :)

bbc20sports.png

A new year - A new Newcastle?

John Beresford went into 2010 with low spirit, after copping much abuse from the supporters during the month of December. January gave yet another tough schedule with a further 6 games, 2 of them against Liverpool and one against Man Utd. A tough schedule for any side, but for a struggling Newcastle it could mean that they fall further down the table, and maybe spell the end of Beresford's return to football.

With December ending with a match against Liverpool, Newcastle played them for the second game running, this time in the FA Cup, a tough 3rd Round draw. With Newcastle being beaten by Liverpool in their past two meetings, things weren't looking good for the Toon, but a hard fought 0-0 draw earned a replay at Anfield, but that would just make it tougher for Newcastle. Beresford said that, "A draw with Liverpool is a decent result, but now we have to go away to Anfield, and this year Liverpool have turned it into a fortress, only losing two or three games I think." A replay was to be played in 11 days.

A small matter of a match against Man Utd was squashed in between FA Cup ties, and an away trip to the "Theatre of Dreams", crushed Newcastle's dreams. 3 first half goals from Valencia, Vidic and Rooney respectively put Man Utd in a very good position going into the break. As the teams came back on, their was an air about Newcastle, they looked like they wanted the match badly. Beresford must have gone off at them at half time. The next 45 minutes was the most surprising 45 minutes of football ever as Newcastle absolutely dominated Man Utd. They pounded Edwin van der Sar in the goals for Man Utd, but he was up to the challenge and only let in one, a goal for Sol Campbell in the 74th minute. But this match showed that Newcastle could compete with the best, and the fans could start looking up.

Full of confidence, Newcastle travelled to Merseyside in search of a shock win, and they came so close aswell. Joe Cole and Daniel Agger seemed to have crushed the Toon with two goals in the first 20 minutes. But Newcastle are starting to look like the "Comeback Kings", and a goal from Ranger in the 26th minute gave Newcastle some confidence. With 5 minutes left before halftime, Danny Simpson scored an absolute cracker, 30 yards from goal, he hit it on his second touch, flying past Pepe Reina into the top right corner. The second half was the same as Liverpool dominated early, with Newcastle dominating the late stages, but no team could find a way through. Both teams looked very tired, and in Extra Time, a goal never looked like coming and it went to penalties. Only one miss, and it was Andy Carroll who had to suffer the agony, and Pepe Reina was a hero, his penalty save gave Liverpool the win, and progression through to the next round.

pepe-reina-1.jpg

Pepe Reina - Liverpool Hero

The team got down after three great matches, and a home draw with Fulham gave them the spark into action they needed. An early penalty miss from Bobby Zamora was ironic for the Toon, and Pires made Fulham pay with a goal in the 34th minute. Joey Barton got sent off in only his 5th game of the season in the 57th minute, and two minutes later, Zamora made up for his penalty miss and gave Fulham a valuable draw as they fight for relegation.

Another tough home game, opponents Stoke, who got the win over Newcastle last time in a 4-3 thriller. This time Newcastle dominated, and an Andy Carroll brace, goals in the 32nd and 60th minutes, gave Newcastle the 2-1 they needed to give the supporters hope. A late goal from Fuller gave Stoke late hope, but they never looked in it, and Newcastle grabbed the 3 points they needed.

andy-carroll_1992162.jpg

2 goals for Carroll, 3 points for Newcastle

A tough away game, the Tyne-Wear Derby, to end the month, and a 2-0 win saw Newcastle fans dancing in the street as they did the double over their biggest rivals. Luisma gave Newcastle the lead only seconds after half time with his first goal of the season. Fernando Gago went off injured only 10 minutes later, a big blow to a key player at Newcastle. Lovenkrands sealed the win with only seconds remaining, and the month ended with a bang for the Toon.

Well a very good month for Newcastle considering the strength of the opposition in some matches. The first 3 matches gave Newcastle some confidence, with good performances vs Liverpool, and a good second half performance vs Man Utd, showing Newcastle are up there with the best.

View attachment 107995

Beresford's Man of the Month award goes to Guillermo Ochoa for the second month running, again he kept his side in numerous matches, and probably won them the match at Stoke, so congratulations.

View attachment 107994

January Transfers

View attachment 107996

Are Newcastle regaining form, or is it only luck? If you are a Newcastle fan, why not tell us what you think. Email us a [email protected] or text us 'YOUR NAME' followed by 'NEWCASTLE' and then your message. Gary will read several out on Saturday's MOTD.​

Good update mate, some interesting results. Shame Carroll missed, would have been nice to see you go through. I'm going for a mega update tonight when I get home like.

Yeah well, I have really struggled with penalties this year, I've probably dropped 5 points cos of it, and now were out of FA Cup so :S But Riquelme should be good at them ;) Ooo yay, looking forward to your update, very exciting... I only have 6 games left in the season... haha!

Well at the end of the season I'm gonna slow down, I'm really gonna take my time at looking at new transfers, so it'll probably take me a week to get through the first two months, so you'll easily catch up :)

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

bbc20sports.png

Newcastle announce Hlousek singing

21yr old left winger Adam Hlousek has apparently agreed terms with Newcastle United after their £2,800,000 bid was accepted. The transfer will be completed on the 1st July 2010 as the transfer was agreed after the window shut. Hlousek has said, "It is a great opportunity for me, only 21, and a chance to play in the Premier League. I am sad to leave Slavia Prague after only a year, but they taught me a lot, and I feel I need a better competition." Many Newcastle fans see this as a weird signing, they believe that this means that Jonas will be leaving, or Hlousek will not be playing his favoured left wing role. All this will be revealed next season, and until then Newcastle fans will be left wondering about Beresford's bemusing transfer.

398068_sport-fotbal-slavia-hlousek-crop.jpg

New Toon boy Adam Hlousek

Has Beresford gone crazy, or will Hlousek be useful at the Toon? If you are a Newcastle fan, why not tell us what you think. Email us a [email protected] or text us 'YOUR NAME' followed by 'NEWCASTLE' and then your message. Gary will read several out on Saturday's MOTD.

good stuff, that kids a genius. keep it up. where do you want to be in the table at the end of the season, like what was your objective?

I just wanted a position above 15th, so I'm sitting pretty at the moment :) Next season I think I can push top 8, then after that Europe :)

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Loving this. :D

BBCsport review Newcastle's October!

Newcastle players celebrate Ben Arfa's goal against Stoke

As we do every month, we are reviewed what has happened in the past month for Newcastle. After a poor September, Todd was hoping that his side would be able to pick up some form.

It wasn't to be as in their 1st game of the month they travelled to the Emirates for a tough away game against Arsene Wenger's young Arsenal side. Arsenal were sitting top by 6 points at this stage before the game and they didn't look like they were going to allow this gap to narrow. They picked up a 3-0 win against a poor Newcastle side. Maroaune Chamakh, Andrey Arshavin and Emmanuel Eboue were the scorers. Todd came out after the game and publically apologised for his side's poor showing of late. He went on to say he hoped the October International break would give them a time to think on how to improve.

And it appeared this worked. With Tony Pulis' Stoke visiting St.James' Park Newcastle knew they would have a tough game on their hands. But it wasn't to be. They ran riot over Stoke and picked up a vital 4-1 victory. Htaem Ben Arfa netted a brace whilst Andy Carroll and vice-captain Alan Smith hit the net. Ben Arfa (above) ran over to the Newcastle fans he was closest too at the time and made a heart shape and pointed in their direction. MOTD 2 also managed to spot in the picture Kevin Nolan, slightly confused on how many goals his team-mate had now scored.

The next game was a 0-0 draw for Newcastle away to Fulham. With no action, there is nothing to comment on. Sadly this has now happened twice for Newcastle.

But the final game of the month game against Arsenal again. This time though the Magpies were at home and it was in the League Cup. Todd had stated he felt that Newcastlethis season had the potencial to win the competition. But the Scotsman was made to eat his words as Arsenal scored in the 88th minute via Marouane Chamakh to seal a place in the Quarter Finals. Todd said after the game he was 'devastated' about the result.

On the transfer front, Newcastle have accepted two £4million bids for Peter Lovenkrands. One comes from Birmingham whilst the other, the ever attractive Valencia C.F. As for the transfer of Thierry Henry, Todd has mentioned things have slowed down as the clubs are stil unable to reach a reasonable fee for the Frenchman. Todd has also however been looking at Yann M'Vila. He has been told to fork out £14.75million for the young French central midfielder, which he barked was ridiculas.

And with that we conclude the review for October. If you are a Newcastle fan, why not tell us what you think. Email us a [email protected] or text us 'YOUR NAME' followed by 'NEWCASTLE' and then your message. Gary will read several out on Saturday's MOTD.

- - -

EDIT : 1000th post this was. :wub:

Last edited:
Once again Toddzy. Brilliant.

this is some sweet stuff mate, really enjoyin it. hope you can keep it up

Appreciate the kind words guys. :wub: I must admit, I'm actually loving writing this story and playing the game. November and hopefully december should be up tonight for those interested. As for strikerv9dutch I'm not to sure on his plans in the way of an update tonight though I'm aware he has nearly finished a season and looking for new kits. Keep looking here guys for an update :)

I will be looking out Toddzy and you are a great sig maker so I have you to thank for that.

This update will likely only benefit strikerv9dutch!

Mate here's the facepack I said I'd do today. Let me know what you think. I can't get luisma on as I don't have spain leagues loaded so can't get his unique ID. PM me and I'll be able to tell you how to edit players into the config when you sign new ones.

Feedback is welcome, but this only has our story players on it so it may not benefit others. Hope this doesn't confuse people.

Screenshots of them in action. Your players of course;

View attachment 108187 View attachment 108188 View attachment 108189

Download here - View attachment 108186

Just the usual extract etc mate, put it into your graphics folder etc.

Hope you like. :wub:

They look fantastic! Great work man :D and great update earlier, I really do love your writing :wub:

Took a lot less time than I thought. Just around 2-3 hoursish. So I hope you enjoy and let me know if they work mate :) and thank you kindly for that, I love your writing also! Probably won't have any updates till tomorrow, early night for me as I've been falling asleep at college :( haha! I'll try and update at college tomorrow though, should be able to do another Henry one which hopefully hasn't become boring :S