The Battle of the Toon - A Joint Story

Haha that's good then and they work perfectly, love em mate :) No problem :) Oh haha, well maybe they should make college exciting so u can stay awake ;) Awwk yeah, I like your transfer ones aswell:) And just saw my possible home kit in Rate My Kit thread, please don't use the hearts haha! Apart from that, class :)

Fancy letting me see a few screens to see what some look like, I only went to your players :| haha! Yeh I saved it as a .PSD file so it'll bs easy to edit tomorrow. It was just an experiment mate, also tried stars on a Bolton and Bayern kit on the request thread if you'd consider that. I really liked the sponsor though, it looked nice. Found it on google images so I'm assuming that's where wulf got his! Any updates from you soon kid :)?

Umm sure, I'm in the middle of a match (2nd Last), so I will edit this post after :) Haha ok thanks, twas a good idea, just not with pinstripes :S I think maybe some stars on the 2nd kit? Yeah the sponsor is great, it's gonna come in with the story at one stage :) Umm yeah I should have a Feb update in 30 mins to an hour :)

bbc20sports.png

The Toon fight in February

After a good January where the Magpies showed they could compete with the best, February was another chance to show that, with 4 games to play, including a game against Arsenal, the Toon were out to impress the fans, and manager John Beresford.

The month started with a big game, Newcastle went away to the Emirates, and after their 0-0 draw at home and their recent form, Newcastle were confident they could win. A Cesc Fabregas wonder free kick dampened Newcastle hopes, but they did not give up. The fans pushed the Newcastle boys, but Arsenal were just too good. Arsenal really dominated, and they made Newcastle look like Barnet or Oxford. The match ended 1-0, only some Guillermo Ochoa heroics denied Arsenal a rout.

Cesc_Fabregas_389501a.jpg

Fabregas celebrates his wonderful free-kick

Next up was a home game against Birmingham, and no one could have predicted the way this match went. Beresford's boys cam out firing, and Coloccini got the scoring underway in the 5th minute, yes Coloccini! Lovenkrands doubled that only 2 minute later, and Newcastle were cruising. Lovenkrands added his 2nd in the 20th minute, and Birmingham looked like they were falling apart. Newcastle went into halftime full of confidence, would that hurt them in the second half? No, Nile Ranger made it 4 only seconds into the half. Lovenkrands completed his hattrick with a penalty in the 68th minute, and it was 5 for Newcastle. But they were not done, and in the last minute of Injury Time, they won another penalty, and Lovenkrands scored his 4th, and Newcastle's 6th. A 6-0 win to comeback from the disappointment against Arsenal, great show of character from Newcastle.

Then Newcastle traveled to Blackburn, and a 2-0 loss sent them crashing back to earth. Two second half goals, one from Benjani and one from N'Zonzi, gave Blackburn the deserved win. A terrible match for the Toon, and one that Beresford would like to forget soon. After the match you could here the shouting coming out of the Newcastle dressing room, Beresford was not impressed! Would next match be an improvement?

image-3-for-gallery-newcastle-united-fans-devastated-after-relegation-gallery-688450426.jpg

Disappointed Newcastle fans

A home game against West Brom gave Beresford's boys the perfect chance to prove themselves. Three first half goals, one from Ben Arfa, first for Newcastle, and two from Lovenkrands saw Newcastle go into the break 3-0 up. Was another Birmingham game coming along, nope, two West Brom goals within 15 minutes of the restart, and Newcastle were looking terrible. It took a yelling from Beresford on the sideline to kick them into action. West Brom dominated the rest of the game, but Guillermo Ochoa saved Newcastle, and Beresford.

An up and down month for Newcastle, great wins, yet terrible losses, they now sit in 9th, and with 3 months left it's all to play for, can they maintain their form, or will they crash, and possibly be relegated?

View attachment 108195

Beresford's Man of the Month went to Peter Lovenkrands, 6 goals in 4 matches is an amazing achievement, and his second 4 goal haul of the year gave him his second match ball of the year.

View attachment 108194

Will Newcastle stay up, or will Beresford send them down to the Championship? If you are a Newcastle fan, why not tell us what you think. Email us a [email protected] or text us 'YOUR NAME' followed by 'NEWCASTLE' and then your message. Gary will read several out on Saturday's MOTD.

bbc20sports.png

Magpies March on in March

A small month for Beresford and his players, but three very tough games would mean that they could very well drop this month. Games against Man City, Everton and Chelsea would provide Newcastle with on of the toughest months they have had.

An away trip to Goodison Park was first, and a very hostile crowd met Newcastle and Beresford, even some Newcastle fans were jeering and booing their own team. Newcastle were out to prove everyone wrong, and in the first half, they absolutely dominated, they pushed every man forward, every man back, but they couldn't find a goal. It was almost as if Total Football had been reinvented at St.James' Park and brought to Merseyside. The lack of a goal did not dishearten the Toon, and in the second half they came out even stronger, and eventually they did get their goal, although no one on the Newcastle side scored it. Marouane Fellaini sent the ball past Tim Howard after a Ben Arfa free kick, and the Toon had their goal. The rest of the match was played out differently as Everton pushed forward, and they tried to get a goal, but Ochoa saved Newcastle, again, and Newcastle held on for the win.

A home game against Man City was next, and it looked as though Newcastle were a complete different side from last week. Man City dominated and they pushed, but Ochoa Heroics saved Newcastle, for the first 10 minutes. In the 15th minute, Carlos Tevez broke the deadlock, but that didn't change anything, Man City still pushed on forward. A rare counter attack from Newcastle brought a chance for Andy Carroll, and you wouldn't believe it, it was 1-1. It took Man City 5 shots to get past Ochoa, only one for Newcastle to get past Joe Hart. The rest of the game was the same, as Man City kept pushing forward, but still never finding a way past Ochoa, who was putting in a Man of the Match performance, and not for the first time this year. The match ended 1-1, and the Toon walked away with a valuable point.

stonew_06_280x420_34659a.jpg

Another tough away trip, this time to the fortress known as Stamford Bridge, only two home losses all year for Chelsea. A Landon Donovan goal in the 7th minute gave Newcastle a taste of what they were in for, beautiful through balls, exquisite off the ball running, and finishing to die for. Another Landon Donovan goal the other side of the break looked to have sunk Newcastle, but an Andy Carroll goal with only 5 minutes left gave Newcastle a little hope. A Didier Drogba injury time goal gave Chelsea the sure three points, but a solid match for Newcastle, they just can't measure up to the table toppers.

Even after a good month, Newcastle still sit in 11th position, dropping two places from last month. They can not be relegated now, with 6 matches left they can only finish in 5th through to 17th. Newcastle have avoided relegation this year, and their fans must be happy, but now they fight for a mid-table position, can they do it?

View attachment 108197

Hatem Ben Arfa gets his first Man of the Month award, and with only 3 months left on his loan contract, surely Beresford can't not buy him. Even though Riquelme is on his way, Ben Arfa's contribution in assists can not be overlooked, and if he keeps performing like he did this month, Beresford will have some thinking to do.

View attachment 108196

Should Beresford sign Ben Arfa, or just let him return to Marseille? If you are a Newcastle fan, why not tell us what you think. Email us a [email protected] or text us 'YOUR NAME' followed by 'NEWCASTLE' and then your message. Gary will read several out on Saturday's MOTD.​

I don't know if he's worth it. Riquelme's coming, and Vuckic is coming through the ranks, I just don't know if I need to shell out 5 mil for him if he's only gonna be on the bench most of the time, id rather save up money for others.

Juan Roman Riquelme :wub: I thought that he was already playing mate .. with that said, cash in, you will need the money :)

Nah I signed Riquelme on a pre-contract, so he comes in July, and Ben Arfa is only on loan...

bbc20sports.png

The Toon's Final Run – March & April

With two months to go in the Premier League, Newcastle were safe, now they were just fighting for a higher table position, and with 6 games to go, and a possible 18 points up for grabs, it was definitely possible to get into Europe, but not probable.

A home game against West Ham to get the final run... running? A tough match, especially since West Ham beat Newcastle last time. An early Andy Carroll gave Newcastle a lead, and it lasted till half time. A very balanced game, a lot of chances, but both keepers were playing well, and Newcastle held on until the final whistle, and a single Andy Carroll goal gave Newcastle the three points they wanted.

Another home game, this time against, still win less, Blackpool, who are not having a good year, no wins, what does that tell you. A very even match was played out, and Blackpool showed that they really do have what it takes to be a Premier League side, and they proved that by getting their first win of the season against a bad Newcastle side. A 52nd minute Marlon Harewood goal gave Blackpool 3 points.

Ian_Holloway_1.jpg

Ian Holloway – Happy with his team's first win

Another tough match, an away game against Wigan, and a second loss in a row. Goals from N'Zogbia and de Ridder gave Wigan a valuable three points, and John Beresford's Newcastle is starting to get complacent now that their safe, but that can't be good for their end of season position.

A home game against Tottenham, not a good time for Newcastle to try and get back on their feet. An early Jermaine Defoe goal made it look like Newcastle were headed for another loss. But a Nile Ranger goal only 2 minutes later changed the complexion of the game. Newcastle started to dominate, and impress their home fans. Newcastle made it 2-1 right before halftime through a Gomes own goal. After halftime Defoe made it 2 for him, and Tottenham, and the game was back on. Nothing much happened after that goal, and both teams went home with a point.

article-0-02E8F0A200000578-643_306x423.jpg

Gomes after his own goal

Now Newcastle moved into May, sitting in 11th on the table, they could push up to 10th, or go down the 13th, so no matter what happened, it should be considered a good year, and a success for Newcastle's first year back in the Premier League.

Yet again, another tough game, a trip to Birmingham to face Villa. An early goal from Chris Smalling gave Newcastle the shock lead, and from then it was Villa's game. They had so many shots, but they couldn't beat Ochoa. Eventually, with only 10 minutes left, Stephen Ireland evened the game up with a 30 yard screamer, and then with 3 minutes left, Delfouneso finished the game of and gave Villa the 2-1 win. A disaster for Newcastle, two goals in 10 minutes killed them, and now they fight for 11th or 12th place.

The final game of the year, Bolton traveled to St.James' Park, and a very dominating performance from Newcastle was in store. It took a while, but eventually Danny Simpson put Newcastle in the lead, with his second goal of the season. Newcastle kept up the pressure, and they looked like they would finish the year with a win, but it was not to be, as another screamer from the opposition tied up the game, 2 screamers in 2 games prevented Newcastle from 3 points, and they ended the year with a point.

An exciting year for Newcastle, back in the Premier League, and finding themselves finishing 12th. Beresford should be proud of his achievement, his first year back in football and he has kept Newcastle up. Sunderland, Fulham and Blackpool go down to the Championship, and Chelsea won the Premiership. A season review for Newcastle will come soon.

View attachment 108198

Andy Carroll won the last Man of the Month award for the year, and he is in the running for the Young Player of the Year. Beresford said he is proud of the youngster, and he hopes he will improve in his time with Newcastle.

View attachment 108199

How did you think Newcastle went? If you are a Newcastle fan, why not tell us what you think. Email us a [email protected] or text us 'YOUR NAME' followed by 'NEWCASTLE' and then your message. Gary will read several out on Saturday's MOTD.

bbc20sports.png

Newcastle United – Season Review

The Stats

Average Rating

Jonas (7.29)
Andy Carroll (7.28)
Hatem Ben Arfa (7.27)
Guillermo Ochoa (7.15)
Jose Enrique (7.08)

Goals

Andy Carroll (19)
Peter Lovenkrands (15)
Nile Ranger ( 6 )

Appearances

Guillermo Ochoa (43)
Fabricio Coloccini (42/1)
Jose Enrique (41)

Assists

Hatem Ben Arfa (15)
Jose Enrique (9)
Andy Carroll/Jonas (5)

MOM Awards

Guillermo Ochoa/Jonas (5)
Peter Lovenkrands/Andy Carrol (4)
Jose Enrique/Hatem Ben Arfa (2)

Yellow Cards

Fernando Gago (12)
Cheik Tiote (7)
Jose Enrique ( 6 )

Red Cards

Ryan Taylor (1)
Fernando Gago (1)
Joey Barton (1)

The Awards

Best Player - Guillermo Ochoa
View attachment 108201
The 24yr old has been a rock in goals for Newcastle, he has single handedly got them into 12th position, without him they might have been relegated.

Rising Star - Andy Carroll
View attachment 108200
Who else, he is Newcastle's top scorer, and at only 21, he can become a star player, not only for Newcastle, but for England in the coming years.

Signing of the Season - Guillermo Ochoa
View attachment 108201
For only £4,800,00 he was a bargain, and the fact that he also won the Newcastle Best Player tells you something.

Team of the Year
View attachment 108204
Not much to say, just Newcastle's best team

The Competitions

Premier League
View attachment 108205

Awards
Footballer of the Year - Didier Drogba
Manager of the Year - Carlo Ancelotti
Players' Player of the Year - Steven Gerrard
Players' Young Player - Andy Carroll
Top Goalscorer - Wayne Rooney
Team of the Year
View attachment 108203

FA Cup
View attachment 108206
Newcastle Result - 3rd Round

League Cup
View attachment 108202
Newcastle Result - 5th Round

595px-Newcastle_United_Logo.svg.png

Newcastle will be back next year for more.

Last edited:
bbc20sports.png

St.James' Park to be Expanded

Newcastle United have today announced that St.James' Park is going to be expanded by 7613 seats. Manager John Beresford is said to have been against this, as he thinks that money should be spent on improving the squad, not the stadium. Beresford hasn't made an official statement, but apparently he has been warned by Mike Ashley for what he has "said", and if he does it again he will take a pay cut. Us here at BBCSports agree with Beresford, if Newcastle want a better league position, they don't need more seats, they need better quality players, and although this might be better in the long run, Ashley needs to look at the short term problems before anything else happens.

19-0.jpg

To be expanded - St.James' Park

Do you agree with Ashley or Beresford? If you are a Newcastle fan, why not tell us what you think. Email us a [email protected] or text us 'YOUR NAME' followed by 'NEWCASTLE' and then your message. Gary will read several out on Saturday's MOTD.

Fantastic work mate. An excellent achievement. :D

the bbc are meant to be non-biased, ie they're neutral..
but nevertheless, greaet end to the season, and I think you have to bring hatem ben arfa in. even if you have him on the bench, he's a spark, and riquelme's stats are awesome but he's pushin on as well.. it's your call, but I'm definitely for bringing hatem in.

Great work mate. IMO thats a great first season in charge. I to also think you should sign Ben Arfa, after a season like that it would be a shame not to. But I'm really enjoying this story with you mate. :wub: I hope we can maybe create one together for FM2011 too. Good luck with the new transfers etc :) oh and samillyroy, its just a story mate, BBC can be anything they want :S I have what I think is a differant update next, I hope you enjoy it. 8-|

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Newcastle look to offer escape route for troubled couple!

Globaly recognised - David Beckham may return to England.

In a BBCsport exclusive, Newcastle united are set to offer troubled couple David and Victoria Beckham a return to England. With the media all over Davids personal life due to recent claims he's cheated on his wife of 11 years, Victoria, he has now stated that maybe America isn't the place for him or his family.

The claims came when a Bosnian girl of 26 claims that David Beckham had paid her to have *** with him twice, once in NY whilst LA Galaxy were playing away to NY Red Bulls and once whilst David had returned home to visit his ill father in London.David, 35, has now decided to seek legal action against the claims as he states they have caused him and his family 'great emotional distress'. He sent a writ to the company who published the story and the call girl of $25million (£16million).

The couple attended a recent football match for their son Brooklyn. Beckham gave a quick interview in which he stated he had seeked legal action. But he also mentioned his he didnt want his sons (Brooklyn 11, Romeo 8 and Cruz 5) growing up with an American accent and wanted them to truely understand their roots of England.

Beckham is currently the highest paid player in the MLS, earning $6.5million a year. But with his contract expiring in 2011, he has became available at a cut price. LA Galaxy appear keen to sell up as they see Beckham, now 35, slightly pricey to keep on there wage list.

As of yet, no official bid has been made. More on the story of Beckhams supposed affair can be found 'HERE'.

If you are a Newcastle fan, why not tell us what you think. Email us a [email protected] or text us 'YOUR NAME' followed by 'NEWCASTLE' and then your message. Gary will read several out on Saturday's MOTD.

Last edited:
Yeah i'm pretty happy with that season :), after some thought, I wnt sign Ben arfa, just don't want him :S But I've made 4 signings I think...? Takin a break for a bit now :) I love this story aswell, we will def do another for FM11! Looking forward to ur update, how long shall it be? And how long will my kits be? :)

Have a look above mate :), as for your kits they should be up tonight!