The Better Half - Plug & Play tactics

TheBetterHalf

Patient Moderator
Reaction score

Plug & Play Tactics, patch 9.3

By

The Better Half

[email protected]

Here I will present some plug & play tactics.Along with each tactic, there will be 2 variations of it, one more attacking and one more defensive. I will present them in the folloing 4 posts post, making it a total of 16 different standard tactics all together. The 2nd and 3rd post will contain tactics suitable for Underdogs/middleteams and the 4th and 5th will contain tactics for Topteams. The tactics will work regardless level playing at. The only tweaks needed are those regarding long shots, creative freedom and set pieces as these have to be tweaked accordingly to the squad at hand or level played at.

Currently the following formations have been uploaded:

4321, 442, 4141, 4132 for underdogs, post 2
4321, 442, 4141, 4312, 4222Box, assymetrical 4122 for Topteams, post 3

Last edited:

Tactics for Underdogs & Middleteams

4321 for Underdogs and middle teams Download Link

This standard tactic is suitable for middle-teams and underdogs, regardless if playing in EPL or BSS. The tactic play on the break and focus the play through the middle with a higher than average mentality and d-line. The tactic also comes with a more defensive version where the wingers and the central MC drops back into a defensive 4141 in a slower possession based counter attack game. There is also a more attacking version included a using more width, playing down the flanks and has the counter box unticked but in the end, if playing as a underdog, the Standard version is the default starting version. No target man or playmaker have been used in testing.

nyabajs.png

The players

The Defenders

Basically, use common sense here. As the tactic is for underdogs, defensive security comes first so its rather risky to have fullbacks with the ppms of a wingforward and/or someone that lack in tackling and marking. Most of the time though, playing with lesser teams, your defenders are what they are and for the first season, there is not much one can do without the founds or raise in club status

The Central midfielders

As always, I like my squad balanced and if playing at the highest level, its fairly easy to get competent midfielders but even in the CC1 or CC2 most MCs will suit this formation and tactical approach. The MCright should be the better attacking wise, the MCleft the best to break up attacks and the Central the more complete creative one.

The Wingers

Its important that the wingers know how to score and in the Standard version, they cut inside more often than in the other 2 version, acting like forwards rather than normal wingers.

The FC

When using a formation with a lone FC, I always go for someone that is more or less complete spiced up with some specific competence. Naturally, this is relative the level playing at, but its always important that he is one of the best players at the club. I have used both quick and pacey ones as well as heading monsters.

Some more info

Set pieces - For the user to tweak as She or He wishes OI - Common sense really but don't use any if you are unsure how the system works Pitch sizes - Common sense here as well. If your team is physically weak and you lack pace in your back 4, then a shorter and more narrow pitch is better just like along pitch will suit you if having a very pacey FC and d-line. My result - Have over performed with various teams, both in EPL, CC1, CC2 and BSS Team talk - Its up to you but I would advice everyone to give the press conf. by themselves as the assistant manager sometimes could do with a bit of media training and lessons in man management. Training regime - I like to give my players a boost in Off the ball, Positioning, decisions i.e The tactical areas.

_______

442 for Underdogs and Middle teams Download Link

This standard tactic is suitable for middle-teams and underdogs, regardless if playing in EPL or BSS. The tactic play on the break and focus the play through the middle with a higher than average mentality and d-line. The tactic also comes with a more defensive version where the approach is a slower possession based counter attack game. There is also a more attacking version included a using more width, playing down the flanks and has the counter box unticked but in the end, if playing as a underdog, the Standard version is the default starting version. No target man or playmaker have been used in testing.

The team instruction are very similari to the 4321, so no need for a screenie of them
underdog442.png

The players

The Defenders

Basically, use common sense here. As the tactic is for underdogs, defensive security comes first so its rather risky to have fullbacks with the ppms of a wingforward and/or someone that lack in tackling and marking. Most of the time though, playing with lesser teams, your defenders are what they are and for the first season, there is not much one can do without the founds or raise in club status

The Central midfielders

As always, I like my squad balanced and if playing at the highest level, its fairly easy to get competent midfielders but even in the CC1 or CC2 most MCs will suit this formation and tactical approach. The MCright should be the more creative one and the MCleft the best to break up attacks.

The Wingers

Its important that the wingers know how to score and in the Standard version, they cut inside, creating space and supporting the attackers. Its also important that they know how to cross, even though they are set to rarely in the Standard version you would be surprised how often they actually do when under pressure.

The FC

A quick FC in FCright and a stringer poacher in FCleft

Some more info

Set pieces - For the user to tweak as She or He wishes OI - Common sense really but don't use any if you are unsure how the system works Pitch sizes - Common sense here as well. If your team is physically weak and you lack pace in your back 4, then a shorter and more narrow pitch is better just like along pitch will suit you if having a very pacey FC and d-line. My result - Have over performed with various teams, both in EPL, CC1, CC2 and BSS Team talk - Its up to you but I would advice everyone to give the press conf. by themselves as the assistant manager sometimes could do with a bit of media training and lessons in man management. Training regime - I like to give my players a boost in Off the ball, Positioning, decisions i.e The tactical areas.

_______

4141 for Underdogs and Middle teams Download Link

This standard tactic is suitable for middle-teams and underdogs, regardless if playing in EPL or BSS. The tactic play on the break and the focus is to keep possession in midfield and move up the field as a unit, this done by restricting the t-balls from the center of the park. The tactic also comes with a more defensive version that is the same as in the 4321, a slower possession based counter attack game. There is also a more attacking version included a using more width, playing down the flanks and has the counter box unticked but in the end, if playing as a underdog, the Standard version is the default starting version. No target man or playmaker have been used in testing.

under4141complete.png

The players

The Defenders

Common sense

The Central midfielders

The DMC should be the best player in midfield, a complete hardworking DMC/MC( relative for the level playing at). The other 2 MCs should be good defensively. If using 2 AMC without any defensive skills, you will fail if playing as a underdog or lesser team

The Wingers

Competent wingers that can put in a cross as well as dribble with the ball. Stamina is also needed for these players

The FC

Again, when playing with a lone FC, He should be a complete or average(9+, depending on the level playing at) values in almost all stats combined with some extreme specific competence( like having 18+( again depending oi the level) in pace, agility and finishing). I prefer a quick player here

Some more info

Set pieces - For the user to tweak as She or He wishes OI - Common sense really but don't use any if you are unsure how the system works Pitch sizes - XXXX My result - Have over performed with various teams, in the EPL, CCC and BSP Team talk - Its up to you but I would advice everyone to give the press conf. by themselves as the assistant manager sometimes could do with a bit of media training and lessons in man management. Training regime - I like to give my players a boost in Off the ball, Positioning, decisions i.e The tactical areas.

_______

4132 for Underdogs and Middle teams Download Link

This standard tactic is suitable for middle-teams and underdogs, regardless if playing in EPL or BSS. The tactic play on the break and the focus on playing a tight game, denying the opponent space and launch attacks down the flanks onto our 2 FC, The tactic also comes with a more defensive version , a slower possession based counter attack game. There is also a more attacking version included a using more width, playing down the flanks and has the counter box unticked but in the end, if playing as a underdog, the Standard version is the default starting version. No target man or playmaker have been used in testing.

4132complete.png

The players

The Defenders

Common sense, boring I know, but when playing without wingers its important that the FBs are up for it, regardless of level playing at.

The 4 Central midfielders

The DMC is your creative one, setting up lots of attacks. In front of him we use a hardworking DMC/Mc or MC, breaking up attacks. The MCr and MCL should be able to put in a cross as well as have high stamina as they will be covering the flanks as well as the center of the park.

The FC

I use 2 quick attackers that run on to ball. If one of them have the ppm "move into channels" and the other one "moves into the box", then this combination will be lethal if setting either the first as Target man( and ticking the box), running onto the ball, or the second, to feet.

Some more info

Set pieces - For the user to tweak as She or He wishes OI - Common sense really but don't use any if you are unsure how the system works Pitch sizes - XXXX My result - Have over performed with various teams, in the CCC and BSS Team talk - Its up to you but I would advice everyone to give the press conf. by themselves as the assistant manager sometimes could do with a bit of media training and lessons in man management. Training regime - I like to give my players a boost in Off the ball, Positioning, decisions i.e The tactical areas.

Last edited:

This post consists of tactics for top teams

4321 for Top teams Download Link

The standard tactic is a well balanced approach using both a higher than average tempo, width, mentality and d-line. We push forward as a unit, but leave the fullbacks behind at most of the time. In the more defensive version both wingers and the central MC is dropped back in the field, making it a 4141 instead, playing on the break and a narrower style with focus passing through the middle. The more attacking version is a very slow and patient approach to break down ultra defensive teams.

nya4321top.png

The players

The Defenders

Modern fullbacks are needed for this version. They have to have great movement, great defensive attributes and be able to setup a goal. The DCs should, as always at this level, be top quality and possess at least 13 in pace.

The Central midfielders

The MCright should be the better in attack, the MCleft in braking up attacks and the MCcentral should be the complete MC ( or DMC, DMC/AMC)
As an example playing with Liverpool, I would use "Mash-Alonso-Gerrard"

The Wingers

Wingforwards that push for goals and assist

The FC

At this level, using only one FC, he just has to be world class or one of the best in the league one is playing in. Players like Ibra, Benzema or Aguero will be perfect for this role, them being complete FCs with specific competence.But if playing with a top team outside the topnotch leagues in Europe, just make sure that he is "allround" with some specific competence.

Some more info

Set pieces - For the user to tweak as She or He wishes OI - Common sense really but don't use any if you are unsure how the system works Pitch sizes - XXXX My result - Have over performed with various teams, both in EPL, Serie A and in Europe Team talk - Its up to you but I would advice everyone to give the press conf. by themselves as the assistant manager sometimes could do with a bit of media training and lessons in man management. Training regime - I like to give my players a boost in Off the ball, Positioning, decisions i.e The tactical areas.

442 for Top teams Download Link

This standard tactic is an attacking, patient and rather slow approach, playing on the break, Even if the focus is mixed and we play with normal width, the free roles makes it a great tactic stretching out the AI defence, especially opponents that play a more cautious counter attack against us, which when thinking of it most teams will do, us being a top team. This version also comes with a more defensive counter attack version to be used against teams attacking us. Finally, a more attacking version, using more width and tempo when pushing for a goal.Again, as in all these small sets, the Standard version is the main starting tactic for most games.

nya442top.png

The players

The Defenders

Modern fullbacks are needed for this version. They have to have great movement, great defensive attributes and be able to setup a goal. The DCs should, as always at this level, be top quality and possess at least 13 in pace.

The Central midfielders

The MCr should be a more creative one and if he has a good long shots its even better. The MCl should be the better at breaking up attacks. At the highest level, I tend to go for 2 complete DMC/AMC, like DeRosi, etc.

The Wingers

Intelligent MR/L that can break up attacks rather than Wingforwards pushing goals. If playing with a topnotch team, finding a complete winger is the ultimate.

The FC

FCright should have the better movement and the FClft should be stronger. Feel free to add more creative freedom to the FCr if he is up for it

Some more info

Set pieces - For the user to tweak as She or He wishes OI - Common sense really but don't use any if you are unsure how the system works Pitch sizes - XXXX My result - Have over performed with various teams, both in EPL, Serie A and in Europe Team talk - Its up to you but I would advice everyone to give the press conf. by themselves as the assistant manager sometimes could do with a bit of media training and lessons in man management. Training regime - I like to give my players a boost in Off the ball, Positioning, decisions i.e The tactical areas.

4141 for Top teams Download Link

This standard tactic is an attacking, patient and rather slow approach, playing on the break using the pitch. Even if the focus is mixed and we play with normal width, the free roles makes it a great tactic stretching out the AI defence, especially opponents that play a more cautious counter attack against us, which when thinking of it most teams will do, us being a top team. This version also comes with a more defensive counter attack version to be used against teams attacking us. Finally, a more attacking version, using more width and slightly higher against teams sitting deep and parking the bus .Again, as in all these small sets, the Standard version is the main starting tactic for most games.

top4141complete.png

The players

The Defenders

The Central midfielders

The DMC should( as in previous versions) be the complete hardworking DMC/MC. The MCs have very similar instructions and only in the more attacking version there is some difference between them in terms of the settings for crossings etc. The MCl have been given rarely here basically because he statistically is unlikely to be left footed so I ant him to stay central and not drift sideways. Due to this, the ML have crossing set to often but feel free to change these settings if you manage to get a great left footed MC and/or the ML is an in cutting winger

The Wingers

Complete Wingers that can both setup a goal and score them selves

The FC

Again, when playing with a lone FC, He should be a complete or average(9+) values in almost all stats combined with some extreme specific competence( like having 18+ in pace, agility and finishing)

Some more info

4312 for Top teams Download Link

This standard tactic is an attacking, patient and rather slow approach, playing on the break using the pitch, the free roles makes it a great tactic stretching out the AI defence, especially opponents that play a more cautious counter attack against us, which when thinking of it most teams will do, us being a top team. This version also comes with a more defensive counter attack version to be used against teams attacking us, wher ethe AMC dropps into MCc and the MCc dropp into DMC. Finally, a more attacking version, using more width and slightly higher against teams sitting deep and parking the bus .Again, as in all these small sets, the Standard version is the main starting tactic for most games.

top4312complete.png

The players

The Defenders

The 4 Central midfielders

As in all these tactics, I prefer using a deep dropping MC that is creative and hardworking, here he plays in MCc and in the defensive version as the DMC. The MCright and MCleft should be competent in playing as wingers, not by position but by skills( being able to dribble and cross). IN the AMC role, I prefer a Box2Box but if playing as topnotch team, you could use a player without any defensive skills at all.

The FC

The FCleft should be strong and complete and the FCright should have great movement.

Some more info

Set pieces - For the user to tweak as She or He wishes OI - Common sense really but don't use any if you are unsure how the system works Pitch sizes - XXXX My result - Have over performed with various teams, both in EPL, and in Europe Team talk - Its up to you but I would advice everyone to give the press conf. by themselves as the assistant manager sometimes could do with a bit of media training and lessons in man management. Training regime - I like to give my players a boost in Off the ball, Positioning, decisions i.e The tactical areas.

4222 Box Midfield for Topteams Download Link
The standard tactic is a well balanced approach using both a higher than average tempo, width, mentality and d-line. We play very tight at the back and the AI will trouble finding space between our midfield and defence. It uses 2 Defensive DMC/MC and 2 more attacking MCs or AMCs that should be competent in delivering crosses. The more attacking version is a slower and wider approach in with the 2 FCs predominately stay central but in the more Defensive version they go wide - almost like having the side-arrows from FM08 - running onto the ball ion quick and direct counterattacks.

boxcomplete.png

The players

The Defenders

Modern fullbacks are needed for this version. They have to have great movement, great defensive attributes, be able to setup a goal and are the likely to be difference between success and failure. The DCs should, as always at this level, be top quality and possess at least 13 in pace.

The First Block of midfielders, The DMCs
Intelligent and hardworking. If one of them have higher than average Ariel ability its a huge plus.

The Second Block of midfielders, The MCs

Should be competent in both finishing and be able to deliver a cross as they go wide in the more attacking versions. I have used both AMC/FCL and MCR here with great success.

The FC

I prefer using 2 more or less complete players here but the main point is that they are intelligent and possess great movement. Train them in Tactics and Attack.

Some more info

Set pieces - For the user to tweak as She or He wishes OI - Common sense really but don't use any if you are unsure how the system works Pitch sizes - XXXX My result - Have over performed with Liverpool and Aston Villa Team talk - Its up to you but I would advice everyone to give the press conf. by themselves as the assistant manager sometimes could do with a bit of media training and lessons in man management. Training regime - I like to give my players a boost in Off the ball, Positioning, decisions i.e The tactical areas.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

41221 Assymetrical for Topteams Download Link

This standard tactic is an attacking, patient and rather slow approach, playing on the break. The tactic is based on the 442 form post 3.Even if the focus is mixed and we play with normal width, the free roles makes it a great tactic stretching out the AI defence, especially opponents that play a more cautious counter attack against us, which when thinking of it most teams will do, us being a top team. This version also comes with a more defensive counter attack version to be used against teams attacking us. Finally, a more attacking version, using more width and tempo when pushing for a goal.Again, as in all these small sets, the Standard version is the main starting tactic for most games.

asstopcomple.png

The players

The Defenders

Generally, the same as in the other tactics for top teams i.e. .Modern left fullback are needed for this version They have to have great movement, great defensive attributes, be able to setup a goal and are the likely to be difference between success and failure. The DC should, as always at this level, be top quality and possess at least 13 in pace.

The DMC and the MC

The DMC should be a creative and hardworking DMC and the MC should be a box2box MC. Again, using Liverpool, I would have Gerrard in MC and Alonso/Mash in DMC.

The AML and the MR

The AML should be a in cutting winger, able to both score, create space and setup the FC and AMC. The MR should be more in the likes of a classical winger and needs pace and crossing abilities.

The AMC

A supporting FC or AMC move great movement.
The FC

Complete FC or Strong Target man

Some more info

Set pieces - For the user to tweak as She or He wishes OI - Common sense really but don't use any if you are unsure how the system works Pitch sizes - XXXX My result - Have over performed with Liverpool and Aston Villa Team talk - Its up to you but I would advice everyone to give the press conf. by themselves as the assistant manager sometimes could do with a bit of media training and lessons in man management. Training regime - I like to give my players a boost in Off the ball, Positioning, decisions i.e The tactical areas.

Last edited:
[/B]
This post consists of tactics for top teams

4222 Box Midfield for Topteams Download Link

The standard tactic is a well balanced approach using both a higher than average tempo, width, mentality and d-line. We play very tight at the back and the AI will trouble finding space between our midfield and defence. It uses 2 Defensive DMC/MC and 2 more attacking MCs or AMCs that should be competent in delivering crosses. The more attacking version is a slower and wider approach in with the 2 FCs predominately stay central but in the more Defensive version they go wide - almost like having the side-arrows from FM08 - running onto the ball ion quick and direct counterattacks.

boxcomplete.png

The players

The Defenders

Modern fullbacks are needed for this version. They have to have great movement, great defensive attributes, be able to setup a goal and are the likely to be difference between success and failure. The DCs should, as always at this level, be top quality and possess at least 13 in pace.

The First Block of midfielders, The DMCs
Intelligent and hardworking. If one of them have higher than average Ariel ability its a huge plus.

The Second Block of midfielders, The MCs

Should be competent in both finishing and be able to deliver a cross as they go wide in the more attacking versions. I have used both AMC/FCL and MCR here with great success.

The FC

I prefer using 2 more or less complete players here but the main point is that they are intelligent and possess great movement. Train them in Tactics and Attack.

Some more info

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

41221 Assymetrical for Topteams Download Link

This standard tactic is an attacking, patient and rather slow approach, playing on the break. The tactic is based on the 442 form post 3.Even if the focus is mixed and we play with normal width, the free roles makes it a great tactic stretching out the AI defence, especially opponents that play a more cautious counter attack against us, which when thinking of it most teams will do, us being a top team. This version also comes with a more defensive counter attack version to be used against teams attacking us. Finally, a more attacking version, using more width and tempo when pushing for a goal.Again, as in all these small sets, the Standard version is the main starting tactic for most games.

asstopcomple.png

The players

The Defenders

Generally, the same as in the other tactics for top teams i.e. .Modern left fullback are needed for this version They have to have great movement, great defensive attributes, be able to setup a goal and are the likely to be difference between success and failure. The DC should, as always at this level, be top quality and possess at least 13 in pace.

The DMC and the MC

The DMC should be a creative and hardworking DMC and the MC should be a box2box MC. Again, using Liverpool, I would have Gerrard in MC and Alonso/Mash in DMC.

The AML and the MR

The AML should be a in cutting winger, able to both score, create space and setup the FC and AMC. The MR should be more in the likes of a classical winger and needs pace and crossing abilities.

The AMC

A supporting FC or AMC move great movement.
The FC

Complete FC or Strong Target man

Some more info

Last edited:
Pah stupid Sean and his ****. I cannot delete the above posts without my password and i cant remember it. Don't worry keep adding stuff and i will fix it later :)

Ive now completed testing your 4-3-2-1 underdog tactic.I used this for 2 seasons with Heerenveen in the Dutch League and i have to say overall im very impressed with it.

No Opposition instructions were used in the following test and default training was used too.

Season 1: Started a bit poorly with a couple of defeats but put it down to my team having a very poor understanding.As the season went on we became much more consistent and became very hard to beat as the players got used to the tactics.We were knocked out of both the Dutch cup and UEFA cup in the early stages but finished 3rd in the League which was a over achievement and got some good results against the big 3 in Holland.

Season 2: I decided to stay on for another season as i finished the first season so strongly,i wanted to see how a full season would go with the players more gelled.I decided to buy a new CF for the season,id played most of the previous season with Gerald Sibon who at 35 did well for me but i felt a younger quicker CF would benefit the team hugely.It turned out to be a good decision,the season went brilliantly as i stormed to the Dutch championship in a league campaign that included a 29 match unbeaten run.We also won the Dutch cup and were unlucky to be knocked out of the UEFA cup 2nd round knockout stage by Stuttgart.

In Summery: I think this is probably the best plug and play tactic Ive used made by someone else.It always makes a great amount of scoring chances home and away even against so called bigger teams,i really cant praise it highly enough and would recommend it to anyone who may be struggling with the game.I love the way the wingers cut inside and look to score regularly.I like the Attacking and Defensive Variants too which i used to great affect when chasing the game or holding on to a lead.

All in all a very good tactic indeed and a big well done to you. :D

Ive took some screenshots of the two League tables and some good results i had.

Last edited:
Looks impressive from those results, I'll give it a go. Would you recommend the defensive setting for away matches? I might wait for the mid table tactic though, as the teams I am playing with are not quite underdogs but neither are they top teams.

No i used the standard both home and away to start then used the other two variants if and when i needed them.This tactic will work for any team im sure of that,i used it with Heerenveen which are a quite strong dutch team and would be expected to finish in the top 6 anyway.

Somehow, you became the one who posted the last tactics, meaning that I cant add more formations ino that post

Nice list! Will test them in another save very soon. Thanks for sharing! :)

Somehow, you became the one who posted the last tactics, meaning that I cant add more formations ino that post

I'm not doing very well am i lol

just create a new post with your new tactics and i will merge again and change it 2 your name

I am currently testing the asymmetrical for top teams with Man City as it will suit them almost perfectly.

Ive just started testing your 442 top teams tactic with Liverpool BH,ill let you know how i get on.

Kris, so you wont have to go throught so much trouble, the first post now a information post, the 2:nd contains tactics for underdogs and finally, the 3:rd contains those for top teams. You may if you like delete that post that is in your name. So everything is in its place now :D

Cheers

Np i will continue to test your tactics.I started a game with man city using your 4-4-2 for big teams

Np i will continue to test your tactics.I started a game with man city using your 4-4-2 for big teams

Ahhh my eyes, a new skin :D. Looks good though. Anyway. i have tested the asymmetric formation with City and after 12 matches we are still undefeated, 10-2-0.

Going to restart and try the 442 Topteam with City as well

I'll give my feedback of the underdog/middle teams tactic after a few more matches.