TheBetterHalf

Patient Moderator
Reaction score

THE BETTER HALFS
TACTIC CENTER

Welcome to my tactic center. Here, you will find all my uploaded and presented approaches for Football Manager 14. As you see, this opening seves as a index of the uploades, providing links to each and every one of them as they are posted in seperate posts. Click the link to get to the post explaining more indepth.

Remember that this thread is not about getting great exploitive results, but instead about HOW one can setup a certain style of play. When a game is new with some flaws, some apporoaches will work better and some worse but the intention of these approaches are that they should hold ground no matter what version of FM one is playing

What tactic should I use ?

- Analyze the squad to see where your strengths and weakness lies

- With that information in mind, setup a realistic goal for what you want to achieve the first season

- Think about what kind of formation and approach that in real life/realistically are more likely to see you achieve those goals

- Then either use any of my tactics, other uploads or one of your own that matches that approach the most

My point here is that without knowing where your strengths and weakness lies, its impossible to use the correct approach that makes you use your best players where they do the most damage whilst still being able to keep a solid defensive shape making up for your weaknesses.

It might be that your squad lacks player able to break the pattern but dwells on pure physique and teamwork. Then a more direct and ugly approach is the best. It might be that your DCs are really slow, then you might need to play deeper with a DMC sitting in front. It might be that you will face team ( not that likely here) sitting deep and you need to see if your team is good enough to use a probing style of play, stretching their defence or if you should go for a more overloading gung-ho style as you have the physique for it etc etc

Enjoy the read
grin.gif

The Deep 4231 - Counter

View attachment 463308

The SPLIT 451
View attachment 463638

The Gyroscope

View attachment 463639

The Compact 442 - Quick & Direct
Counter

View attachment 463594

TACTIC SETS OF 6 VERSIONS
are found in this thread

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/share-download-fm-14-tactics/149749-thebetterhalfs-tactic-sets.html

Last edited:
The Gyroscope
FM14

xzry.png

Download link

( version is slightly tweaked from the screens)

Here is a Tactic that focuses the play using triangles. The key is to outnumber and overload every single area the ball is in when in possession. The Strategy is a counter one but dont be fooled by it. If having players with good decision, then you will be surprised about the amount of possession we are able to hold, especially if being a topteam, the opponents sitting deep and not closing you down

1gp5.png

wrki.png

The Normal Team Instructions

As we play within an approach that by default uses a deeper d-line, a lowish press and using less width, we implement these instructions to make the team more agressive and use more width
ehf8.png

Against teams sitting really deep...
Creating the space

.........I find it better to use a Supporting FC ( False nine, Complete FC) along with a Shadow Striker as AMCleft. Like an irl example, a player like Negredo( here representing the Adv FC chocie) at Man City is a better choice against teams pushing up as he is more mobile and gets inside the box, whilst Dzeko( representing the support choice) fills a role against teams where the space is found in he hole rather than behind their line of defence

Against teams pushing up
Exploiting the space

I find it better NOT TO "retain possession" but instead playing more direct and swift, the FC moving out wide and one of the AMCs doing the same, keeping one AMC holding position, Naturally, If you should see that all these balls into channels are in vain, then it might be that they are taken under too much pressure to be of quality and/or that the Fullbacks of the opponents are actually not as adventoures as you though as they are able to get to the ball first

More info regarding teaminstructions for specific scenarios etc will come

Examples of Matches/Scenarios

Match 1 - Arsenal - Crystal Palace

Here, I just assumed that they where going to sit deep so exploiting space behind the line of defence would be rather hard. So, I went for using a False Nine upfront along with a Shadow Striker in AMCleft. The flow of the game and the chnaces created confirmed that my choice was correct. Palace did not close down my players at all but insetad made sure that sat my almost all players behind he ball.

Here, Its important having player moving between the lines and our False Nine ( FC), Shadow Striker(AMCleft) and Trequartista (AMCright) provided those. As you can see in the Screen, we dominated the first half regarding stats.

Our FC Giroud both dragged Dcs and Fullbacks upfield and once they where out of position, he managed to get at the end of 5 moves, scoring from 2 after having played a short pass backwards before getting into an dangerous position inside the area without any marker

View attachment 463670

Now, when I startd the 2nd half, I did it with the "full match" so I could see if they where still as passive.

- To be continued with 2nd half

Last edited:

The Gyroscope,

some reasoning behind my choice of roles

Match 1
Arsenal - Crystal Palace

Here, I just assumed that they where going to sit deep so exploiting space behind the line of defence would be rather hard. So, I went for using a False Nine upfront along with a Shadow Striker in AMCleft. The flow of the game and the chnaces created confirmed that my choice was correct. Palace did not close down my players at all but insetad made sure that sat my almost all players behind he ball.

Here, Its important having player moving between the lines and our False Nine ( FC), Shadow Striker(AMCleft) and Trequartista (AMCright) provided those. As you can see in the Screen, we dominated the first half regarding stats.

View attachment 463669

Our FC Giroud both dragged Dcs and Fullbacks upfield and once they where out of position, he managed to get at the end of 5 moves, scoring from 2 after having played a short pass backwards before getting into an dangerous position inside the area without any marker

Now, when I startd the 2nd half, I did it with the "full match" so I could see if Crystal Palace where still as passive.

What would you have changed if you saw that they actually closed down in their "final third"?, did not close down at all etc ?

( the game is already played out so I know what I did)

- To be continued with 2nd half

Last edited:
Will do the spellcheck/ learning how to construct a sentence of my posts tomorrow. **** my English is poor :)

The SPLIT 451

FM14

Download link

( only to the Counter Version, one that can have been sligthly tweaked)
FORMATION AND ROLES

The Left flank
exploit the space
View attachment 463652
View attachment 463649View attachment 463650View attachment 463651
Here, the buildup is more swift and consists of an Ballplaying Defender hitting through balls, one deep lying Playmaker that is assigned to play directs balls into space, one Wide Target Man that goes straight at goal.

The Right flank
Create space
View attachment 463648
View attachment 463645View attachment 463646View attachment 463647
Here, we play more probing, trying to stretch the opponent and drag them out of position. Most runs are taken from deep and the players move between the lines. Our DMC plays a more simple passing game and the Winger is a holding player, making nice overlaps with the Wingback and together with the DMC, using triangles to draw the opponents on to them.

The FC & AMC partnership
View attachment 463644
View attachment 463643
No matter what approach you are using, its important to have players that partner up and complete each other. It might be a False 9 along with a False 10, a Ball-winner along with an anchorman behind. In this tactic, we use 2 players moving between the lines. Either it is the False nine dropping deep with his Shadow Forward behind him or the Poacher getting out wide to stretch the defense sideways along with the Shadow Forward

Both sides put together
By using this split formation, we give ourselves the opportunity to have many dimension in our build up. We can play a direct ball onto our front 3, we can play a possession based approach and drag the opponents on to us by using triangles in midfield. We have the width with our wingers and wingbacks as well as one player dropping deeper into the hole and one player moving in between the central defenders We have crosses from both left and right and we have people taking runs from both the left, right and the center

If the opponents sit deep, the right side is more likely to be able to drag the opponent onto us and if they play aggressive and push up, then the left side can easily retain possession in an advanced position whilst still having cover by the MC if losing the ball.

Naturally, the flow of the game will depend on the quality and preferred moves of your players but regardless of opponent, it gives you the chance to dominate the area of the pitch where you beat them in quality using this multi dimension approach.

The Strategies

STANDARD
In this standard approach, we look to play a ?normal? game. Not too attacking, not too defensive. We use more of the width and push up the team a block
fssf.png

syc2.png

ATTACK
Here, we try both to retrieve possession as well as pushing the team forward from deep
fssf.png

ptc2.png

COUNTER
Here, it?s all about exploiting space. We play direct and in a high tempo. If the space is not found behind the line of defense, then his approach is toothless
vaaj.png

36gs.png

Spotting the flaws when struggling

Every now and then, our match plan simply does not work as intended. Although it could be down to many reasons, like players not being in form/being unmotivated/being complacent/being exhausted, it’s sometimes a tactical issue. Here, have a look at where the opponent is creating or exploiting the space, where their buildup starts.

Now, should you be using the ATTACK or COUNTER version and it looks like the opponent is controlling the event, then switch to STANDARD.

Now, when using the STANDARD version and you should see that they easily are countering and pressing us high on the left flank, then it’s probably because they are aggressive but sitting deep with men behind the ball so any attempts on the swift counterattacks here can result on us being counter instead or them holding possession in advanced positions out right (our left). Here, you should consider if the Attack version or even just the Attack team instructions might be better.

Should the left flank create all the chances( players from the right flank might still be at the end of the move, I am talking about the build up here) but the right flank struggle as they are under too much pressure, then it’s probably better to either use the COUNTER version or even just the counter team instructions

Last edited:
Hi TBH, I had some brilliant success on FM 2013 with your Split 451 formation and I have to say I'm delighted that you've recreated it so soon in to the Beta's life. I'm going to use all three formations with Yeovil Town in the Championship. Predicted 24th so should be a good workout for the tactics, particularly the counter variant. I will look to provide results along the way to assist you in your testing if required? Thanks and keep up the great work, mate!

Hi TBH, I had some brilliant success on FM 2013 with your Split 451 formation and I have to say I'm delighted that you've recreated it so soon in to the Beta's life. I'm going to use all three formations with Yeovil Town in the Championship. Predicted 24th so should be a good workout for the tactics, particularly the counter variant. I will look to provide results along the way to assist you in your testing if required? Thanks and keep up the great work, mate!

Sounds great. You might want to consider using the following 3 setups

The Standard version as suggested above - Name it Standard
The Counter version as suggested as above - Name it Quick Counter
The Standard as suggested above and CHANGE style to Counter - Name it Slow Counter

As for the versions being out so quick, remember that its not about getting great exploitive results, but instead about HOW one can setup a certain style of play :D When a game is new with some flaws, some apporoaches will work better and some worse but the intenion of these are that they should hold ground no matter what version of FM one is playing

Last edited:
I love your posts and approach about game and tactic. Thanks for inspiring and dedicating us (fm fans) so much of your time. This year i hope it will be more fun creating and discussing new tactics (new tactical system will push us to be creative and to build set up depending on our players) and, as always your consideration and thoughts will be of great help :) thanks.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk

I love your posts and approach about game and tactic. Thanks for inspiring and dedicating us (fm fans) so much of your time. This year i hope it will be more fun creating and discussing new tactics (new tactical system will push us to be creative and to build set up depending on our players) and, as always your consideration and thoughts will be of great help :) thanks.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 con Tapatalk

Thanks mate

Hey, which whould you recommend for high tier teams? im currently playing with Roma.

The split 451 updated with the following

Spotting the flaws when struggling

Every now and then, our match plan simply does not work as intended. Although it could be down to many reasons, like players not being in form/being unmotivated/being complacent/being exhausted, it’s sometimes a tactical issue. Here, have a look at where the opponent is creating or exploiting the space, where their buildup starts.

Now, should you be using the ATTACK or COUNTER version and it looks like the opponent is controlling the event, then switch to STANDARD.

Now, when using the STANDARD version and you should see that they easily are countering and pressing us high on the left flank, then it’s probably because they are aggressive but sitting deep with men behind the ball so any attempts on the swift counterattacks here can result on us being counter instead or them holding possession in advanced positions out right (our left). Here, you should consider if the Attack version or even just the Attack team instructions might be better.

Should the left flank create all the chances( players from the right flank might still be at the end of the move, I am talking about the build up here) but the right flank struggle as they are under too much pressure, then it’s probably better to either use the COUNTER version or even just the counter team instructions

Started a new save with Arsenal,. using the SPLIT 451.
Basiclly, I have started ALL matches with the Standard one and only switched when seing fit ingame

So far, so good

Normal line-up

FC - Giroud
AML - Podolski, Wilshere
AMC - ?zil
MR - The Ox, Sagna, all depending on the opponent
MC, DMC: Arteta/Wilshere/Ramsey - Flamini/Frimpong/Arteta
Back 4 - the normal ones

kecd.png

grkx.png

664m.png

Last edited:
Im starting up with Chelsea, using your Split 4-5-1 approach. How would you utilize Eto'o and Torres? Torres False 9 and Eto'o Poacher? Also, would you use Hazard and Mata as LW and AM or the other way around?

Im starting up with Chelsea, using your Split 4-5-1 approach. How would you utilize Eto'o and Torres? Torres False 9 and Eto'o Poacher? Also, would you use Hazard and Mata as LW and AM or the other way around?

Start of by doing this.

- Look at the team- What players are you forced to leave out due to the formation rather than the roles ?

- Look at their stats rather than their reputation irl

- Look again at their stats regarding: Decision, Anticipation, Off the Ball/Positioning( both for MR and central mids), Work Rate, Bravery, Determination

- Now, imagen what kind of approach you are more likely to use ( here, its standard rather than Counter)

With this info, think about if this approach actually gets the best out of your squad ( I am not so sure).

The Strikers

YOu should use the False nine or any supporting role when using Standard and Attack, not a poacher.

Hazard/Mata
If woudl use Hazard as the Shadow Striker. Mata, I am unsure of, perhaps sell him