Regarding the approach, the issue I see when facing teams attacking you is the big gap you leave on your left side. Your team is dropping deep but yet you have a ballwinner that will burst forward to close down their central Mids in their build up. If, or rather when, they get passed him, they have a open freeway of space to exploit behind him. No winger,no DMC, just a DC and DL sitting deep and being passive.

Here, I would probably have pushed up the team and retained possession.

Yeah. I have since altered the tactic a bit. Gone for a 41221 w/ an Anchorman and pushed the defensive winger up and made him an advanced playmaker. Drew against a much better Utd side 0-0 at home with my counter varient. (Coutinho, Johnson, Lucas, Skrtel all injured) Had more chanced to win the match than they did as well.

The Compact 442

A direct and quick Counter approach

Download link

( one that "can" have been sligthly tweaked)

Play around with it and use it as inspiration

Here is a small framework for when wanting to sit with many men behind the ball, trying to cut angels and deny space for the opponent. Possession is not relevant as long as the opponent don?t have it too much in advanced positions.

The key is the direct balls hit into channels down the flanks, onto our deep dropping FC that links up with play or onto the Defensive FC. Below, you see the teams attacking and defensive shape. Now, to be able to actually pull off this approach, it?s all about the players. Having quick wingers, hardworking forwards that plays for the team and central mids and fullbacks that knows how to hold position and mark a player

If wanting to use some individual player instructions, I would consider the following, all depending on where the space is found

If the is Space found out wide behind the fullbacks rather than in the hole between their Defense and midfield, then Having the Defensive FC running out wide and have the Right winger more attacking and roaming, perhaps as a wide mid.

If the space is found in the center of the park, then you might have the wingers as Wide mids and have them cut inside and look for more killer balls.

iwe7.png

wp0.png
qeoo.png

Last edited:
Start of by doing this.

- Look at the team- What players are you forced to leave out due to the formation rather than the roles ?

- Look at their stats rather than their reputation irl

- Look again at their stats regarding: Decision, Anticipation, Off the Ball/Positioning( both for MR and central mids), Work Rate, Bravery, Determination

- Now, imagen what kind of approach you are more likely to use ( here, its standard rather than Counter)

With this info, think about if this approach actually gets the best out of your squad ( I am not so sure).

The Strikers

YOu should use the False nine or any supporting role when using Standard and Attack, not a poacher.

Hazard/Mata
If woudl use Hazard as the Shadow Striker. Mata, I am unsure of, perhaps sell him

Jose, is that you?

Thanks for sharing, Am trying the 451 for a lower rated team (blackburn) do you still think its works well for these type teams?

I notice the duties (support, attack, defend) are different on the counter tactic, however you can use the same player instructions when this is such so how do you have the player instructions for the counter? thinking more about the right back and right mid

Thanks for sharing, Am trying the 451 for a lower rated team (blackburn) do you still think its works well for these type teams?

I notice the duties (support, attack, defend) are different on the counter tactic, however you can use the same player instructions when this is such so how do you have the player instructions for the counter? thinking more about the right back and right mid

Yes, those instructions should be implemented in their new roles to

Hi, I just wanna give you a feedback for your tactic Compact 4-4-2. I followed your instructions and I create that tactic. And so far I must say it works pretty well. I played 4 games with this tactic and I won 3 ( 4-1 against Melbourne Heart, 2-1 against Sydney, 3-0 against Wanderers) and lost 1 game (2-0 against Melbourne Victory, terrible play though). The most important thing is that I play as Newcastle United Jets and it's the probably the worst team in A-league. So I hope my team can keep up the good work and in the end of the season I'll let you know how I finished. Thanks for this thread and for your tactics. :)

Hey TBH!
I've been waiting for your tactics, because in this new tactical version, without the sliders, your tactics remimd me of your team tactics for FM 2012, and I liked very much.
Started with Portsmouth and decided to use the 442 Compact. Let's see how it works.
And I added you on Steam.
Cheers.

TBH on the wide 4-5-1...is there anything I can do if my LB has great attacking abilites and I feel like im wasting his talents playing him as FB-Support? Same with my RB, not so great attacking attacking abilities and I feel like im asking him to more than he can handle.

I know you might say just flip the tactic but I couldn't do that because my attacking players in front are set and I couldn't switch them.

Any ideas?

TBH on the wide 4-5-1...is there anything I can do if my LB has great attacking abilites and I feel like im wasting his talents playing him as FB-Support? Same with my RB, not so great attacking attacking abilities and I feel like im asking him to more than he can handle.

I know you might say just flip the tactic but I couldn't do that because my attacking players in front are set and I couldn't switch them.

Any ideas?

You could try to give them the roles that suits them the best. After all, that is probably a better choice than not using them correctly

but won't that unbalance the tactic?

Not really. It will only make the right side even more cautious and probing whilst the left gets even more adventoures and attacking so results should not be that different.

I am going to give this a try with Wolves. I am yet to use a tactic which gets the best out of the should be awesome in League One Leigh Griffiths. I also think this will suit Doyle in the DF role and with the emphasis on wide play and high tempo too.

I am going to give this a try with Wolves. I am yet to use a tactic which gets the best out of the should be awesome in League One Leigh Griffiths. I also think this will suit Doyle in the DF role and with the emphasis on wide play and high tempo too.

Sounds good. You might want to have a look an more attacking, yet probing, approach to go with it. Look in this thread where I have uploaded 2 versions for a user ( the compact 442 you already have so download the other one "a.tac".

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/what-tactic-should-i-use-fm-14/142940-manchester-city-tactic.html

That is brilliant TBH, thankyou. Is the style of it similar in terms of player types? At work at the moment so cannot view.

Its a more demanding approach but in the end, if your players are better in attacking than your opponents are in defending, they can play those roles to.