The Celtic Match Thread

It's staggering how you can come to this conclusion

Quite easily, because I've been watching it outside as a neutral for the best part of 20 years.

But you keep telling yourself Celtic's hands are totally clean. But dont expect the situation to resolve itself.

Celtic fined £21,000 by Uefa for fans' misbehaviour in Europa League

• Celtic punished over offensive banner and fireworks incident
• Incidents occurred at Europa tie in Udinese in December

Neil-Lennon-Celtic-manage-008.jpg

Neil Lennon, the Celtic manager, was surprised the fans had spelled the banner correctly. Photograph: Jason Cairnduff/Action Images

Celtic have been fined €25,000 (approx £21,000) for fans' misbehaviour in the Europa League game against Udinese in Italy last December, Uefahas confirmed.
After the 1-1 draw at the Stadio Friuli, the Parkhead club were charged with "the displaying of a banner of an offensive nature and the setting off of fireworks by supporters".
The decision to fine Celtic was made by Uefa's control and disciplinary body on 23 February.
A Uefa spokesperson said: "It is nothing out of the ordinary that it wasn't announced then. We can have 100 cases at the monthly meetings. Celtic did not appeal."

Some Celtic fans held aloft a two-part banner which insulted Uefa, days after the club were fined about £12,700 for "illicit chanting" involving pro-IRA songs at a Europa League game against Rennes at Celtic Park.

Several flares were also let off and one was thrown on to the pitchside track. Celtic banned for life one fan who was arrested in Italy over the alleged assault of a club steward, and who they say was one of those responsible for the banner.
The manager, Neil Lennon, and the chief executive, Peter Lawwell, hit out at the "rogue" element within their support on the day after the game.

The club also vowed to sift through photographic evidence to find those fans responsible for the use of the flares, warning that they will take "appropriate action".

Lawwell said: "It is very frustrating. Those people are not Celtic supporters. We will weed them out and these guys will not get back into Celtic Football Club.

"One or two silly little juvenile boys doing funny kids' pranks and stuff is bringing the whole of Scottish football down."

Lennon added: "My only surprise is that they got the spelling [on the banner] right. I am very disappointed, they have let me down, they have let the board, players and background staff down and 99.9% of the support down."

I wasnt even looking for this. But by providence it backs up what i'm saying.

Quite easily, because I've been watching it outside as a neutral for the best part of 20 years.

But you keep telling yourself Celtic's hands are totally clean. But dont expect the situation to resolve itself.

I've not been telling anyone Celtic's hands are totally clean, I've admitted we aren't blameless. What I have said is that we don't have a sectarian problem, or problems anywhere near the level of Rangers'.

Celtic fans are named by Fifa as the best in the world | Herald Scotland
BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Celtic | Celtic fans 'Europe's best'
Rangers fans jailed over Manchester riot following Uefa Cup final defeat - Telegraph

I've not been telling anyone Celtic's hands are totally clean, I've admitted we aren't blameless. What I have said is that we don't have a sectarian problem, or problems anywhere near the level of Rangers'.

Celtic fans are named by Fifa as the best in the world | Herald Scotland
BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Celtic | Celtic fans 'Europe's best'
Rangers fans jailed over Manchester riot following Uefa Cup final defeat - Telegraph

Celtic fans who raided Rangers pub and assaulted man in sectarian attack are jailed - The Daily Record
Celtic fan who attacked steward at Tynecastle during
If You Know Their History: Celtic fan admits making racist and sectarian rants on Facebook

Took me 3 seconds, but that isnt the point And once again, you use the same argument "We're not as bad as Rangers" It's irrelevant. The point is, that you have a section in your wide support that helps propagate the hatred. Both Rangers and Celtic have to combat it within themselves. You cant even acknowledge it.

Stop talking about what Rangers do. Start dealing with what Celtic do.

Celtic fans who raided Rangers pub and assaulted man in sectarian attack are jailed - The Daily Record
Celtic fan who attacked steward at Tynecastle during
If You Know Their History: Celtic fan admits making racist and sectarian rants on Facebook

Took me 3 seconds, but that isnt the point And once again, you use the same argument "We're not as bad as Rangers" It's irrelevant. The point is, that you have a section in your wide support that helps propagate the hatred. Both Rangers and Celtic have to combat it within themselves. You cant even acknowledge it.

Stop talking about what Rangers do. Start dealing with what Celtic do.

These fans will have been banned from Celtic Park, Celtic are dealing with it. I'm using the Rangers argument because you associate us with them, we want nothing to do with them.

1 - Catholic discrimination is still big in Scotland and the UK as a whole. Both in football, politics and any other area of life. To suggest it is gone is ignorant.
2 - Both Celtic and Rangers have problems, as do most other teams in the world. Why can Celtic fans not condemn Rangers without getting lectured about sorting our own problems but other fans can condemn Celtic?
3 - The IRA is not a terrorist organisation. To sugest they are is even more ignorant than point 1.

1 - Catholic discrimination is still big in Scotland and the UK as a whole. Both in football, politics and any other area of life. To suggest it is gone is ignorant.
2 - Both Celtic and Rangers have problems, as do most other teams in the world. Why can Celtic fans not condemn Rangers without getting lectured about sorting our own problems but other fans can condemn Celtic?
3 - The IRA is not a terrorist organisation. To sugest they are is even more ignorant than point 1.

1) no one said it was gone

2) The criticism was aimed at people blaming rangers but ignoring their own problems. Other fans from the outside condemn both sides

3) The IRA are by UK, US and EU law a terrorist group. To say they are not is both ignorant and wrong. Whether you agree they are or not is a different matter. But by law they are. That is indisuptable.

1) no one said it was gone

2) The criticism was aimed at people blaming rangers but ignoring their own problems. Other fans from the outside condemn both sides

3) The IRA are by UK, US and EU law a terrorist group. To say they are not is both ignorant and wrong. Whether you agree they are or not is a different matter. But by law they are. That is indisuptable.

1) Kris did.

3) By law Celtic do not have a sectarian problem as none of our songs are sectarian. Why do you think we do?

1) Kris did.3) By law Celtic do not have a sectarian problem as none of our songs are sectarian. Why do you think we do?
The by law bit makes no sense, as you dont need to sing about it for it to be associated with the club. Ive had 4 friends attacked because of it, 3 rangers fans one celtic. two of the rangers were attacked for their beliefs. I showed you one example in just two seconds earlier. Dig into newspaper and police reports and you'll find examples of attacks going both ways. Just because you might not sing about it, doesnt mean you dont have rogue elements within your support who are sectarian.

Last edited:
Did some digging a few months back. In the last 5 years there have been close to 3500 sectarian incidents.

the split is 58% anti catholic 42% anti protestant

33% of these were football related, the vast majority of which were between the old firm.

So how can you say you dont have a problem? Both sides do. The whole city does. Scotland does.

Just because you might not sing about it, doesnt mean you dont have rogue elements within your support who are sectarian.

a small minority, as does every team in the world

Last edited:
Dreadful. Quite shocked about that, can only hope Stan pulls through.

Totally out of the blue, hope he pulls through. Sadly I fear that is the end of his career.

Lennon could do worse than follow his example.

Smith had a pop at referees just as much as Lennon does. Only difference is the media didn't act like he'd killed someone.

Smith had a pop at referees just as much as Lennon does. Only difference is the media didn't act like he'd killed someone.

Lennon can and has been particularly bad at it. He didnt immediately give Kilmarnkock credit for example.