The Celtic Match Thread

Are you saying we have a sectarianism problem or what, I really don't understand how you could be informed in the subject and still think one is as bad as the other

You dont get it do you. It is not about who is worse than the other, that is the argument of children. Its about the fact that both sides have contributed to this, beyond football. and that needs to be addressed. Stop playing the childish blame game.

Though I find it interesting you immediately think i'm ill informed...

Last edited:
Lets be honest guys nobody really agrees with sectarian signing from both sides but it always go to be there no matter what.So a couple of guys moaning on this is going to make no difference but just too add the SASH is not sectarian in any way.

You dont get it do you. It is not about who is worse than the other, that is the argument of children. Its about the fact that both sides have contributed to this, beyond football. and that needs to be addressed. Stop playing the childish blame game.

Though I find it interesting you immediately think i'm ill informed...

I understand what you're saying completely, and I know there is a lot of hate between the two teams on both sides, an unhealthy level. But Celtic do not have a problem with sectarianism. That's what I meant by guilty by association, as it is widely believed we do because we are part of a rivalry with a team who does.

I think you've misunderstood, I know you know your stuff about the spl/old firm, the comment I made was because I'm surprised at your views on the rivalry.

@ScoutSniper7, Celtic fans do not sing sectarian songs

Again you make out like it's a one sided problem, Shocker.

Read my post above. I don't make out that its totally one sided, just Celtic FC do something about it (banning fans and songs) and most other clubs in Scotland don't.

Also i have seen no death threats or fan violence against the rangers manager or hearts manager, but Neil Lennon has suffered from both sets of fans. And to show how deluded scotland is, they let the hearts fan off the sectarian charges: unbiased jury indeed.

Also Catholics in scotland are in the minority and so don't really have much of a say in the politics of Scotland, so starting with a minority isn't really the place to start with if you want change. Lets also not forget that it was only about 30 or 40 years ago that Catholics in scotland still couldn't get decent jobs due to bigotry. This is why there aren't many catholics in high places now, and why the bigots of scotland get so angry when they do make it into positions of power. Minority's who are treated this way always rebel against the establishment around the world, and rightfully so.

AM67 also makes a point about whether these rebel songs are even bigoted, if you read the lyrics most of them refer to 800 years of oppression by the English crown, in this respect its similar to other cultures slave songs.

I understand what you're saying completely, and I know there is a lot of hate between the two teams on both sides, an unhealthy level. But Celtic do not have a problem with sectarianism. That's what I meant by guilty by association, as it is widely believed we do because we are part of a rivalry with a team who does.

I think you've misunderstood, I know you know your stuff about the spl/old firm, the comment I made was because I'm surprised at your views on the rivalry.

@ScoutSniper7, Celtic fans do not sing sectarian songs

Too many people on both sides are far too concerned with what the other side have done. There has been so much poison before, that as long as people cling to this, Scotland can NEVER go forwards, thats what I mean. If you cling to whatever the otherside has done, you will never let go of that resentment, that is what i mean by the childish blame game.

As for problems within your support, they most certainly exist.

Lets be honest guys nobody really agrees with sectarian signing from both sides but it always go to be there no matter what.So a couple of guys moaning on this is going to make no difference but just too add the SASH is not sectarian in any way.

Think the Scottish sun called it sectarian, then later called it controversial protestant anthem. It does make open reference to Orange walks.

Also the lyrics are very similar to IRA songs, in mentioning dying for a cause: so thats open for debate whether either are sectarian.

Last edited:
Too many people on both sides are far too concerned with what the other side have done. There has been so much poison before, that as long as people cling to this, Scotland can NEVER go forwards, thats what I mean. If you cling to whatever the otherside has done, you will never let go of that resentment, that is what i mean by the childish blame game.

As for problems within your support, they most certainly exist.

I think the easiest way to explain the difference is that if Celtic and Rangers were from different cities, Rangers would still have hatred, bigotry etc throughout their club.

What kind of problems are you referring to?

Are you saying we have a sectarianism problem or what, I really don't understand how you could be informed in the subject and still think one is as bad as the other

I don't understand that you think it's a one sided issue when you have supporters who glorify terrorist organisations?

I don't understand that you think it's a one sided issue when you have supporters who glorify terrorist organisations?

Yes, a banned IRA chant is on the same level as the racism sectarianism and bigotry that runs through your club and support. Just as bad as each other eh

Read my post above. I don't make out that its totally one sided, just Celtic FC do something about it (banning fans and songs) and most other clubs in Scotland don't.

Also i have seen no death threats or fan violence against the rangers manager or hearts manager, but Neil Lennon has suffered from both sets of fans. And to show how deluded scotland is, they let the hearts fan off the sectarian charges: unbiased jury indeed.

Also Catholics in scotland are in the minority and so don't really have much of a say in the politics of Scotland, so starting with a minority isn't really the place to start with if you want change. Lets also not forget that it was only about 30 or 40 years ago that Catholics in scotland still couldn't get decent jobs due to bigotry. This is why there aren't many catholics in high places now, and why the bigots of scotland get so angry when they do make it into positions of power. Minority's who are treated this way always rebel against the establishment around the world, and rightfully so.

AM67 also makes a point about whether these rebel songs are even bigoted, if you read the lyrics most of them refer to 800 years of oppression by the English crown, in this respect its similar to other cultures slave songs.

Sorry, I mis interpreted your post, that's my bad. I still don't agree with you.

Are you forgetting that Nacho Novo recieved death threats? He also had to have private security guards at his home. Alan McGregor was attacked in a nightclub and De Marcus Beasley's car was set on fire :\

Play in Old Firm match and you die | The Sun |Home Scotland|Scottish Sport|SPL

http://news.sky.com/home/uk-news/article/15556405

While on holiday in Santa Ponsa (Mallorca) a very catholic town, everyone was very friendly until they found out our group was protestant. Bar staff (not spanish) refused to serve us and a group of Irish catholics tried to attack some of my friends. I will never be visiting that place again.

I do agree that clubs need to do more. Motherwell get away with murder with the stuff their fans sing. In fact they have been accused of racially abusing Jason Scotland and Larry Kingston in recent years without punishment and I hear the songs that get sung at Tynecastle, it's just as bad, if not worse than Ibrox.

Not sure why you are bringing up catholic descrimination from thirty years ago though?

Sorry, I mis interpreted your post, that's my bad. I still don't agree with you.

Are you forgetting that Nacho Novo recieved death threats? He also had to have private security guards at his home. Alan McGregor was attacked in a nightclub and De Marcus Beasley's car was set on fire :\

Glasgow Rangers Goalkeeper Allan McGregor Attacked In Nightclub, Sky Sources Understand | UK News | Sky News

While on holiday in Santa Ponsa (Mallorca) a very catholic town, everyone was very friendly until they found out our group was protestant. Bar staff (not spanish) refused to serve us and a group of Irish catholics tried to attack some of my friends. I will never be visiting that place again.

I do agree that clubs need to do more. Motherwell get away with murder with the stuff their fans sing. In fact they have been accused of racially abusing Jason Scotland and Larry Kingston in recent years without punishment and I hear the songs that get sung at Tynecastle, it's just as bad, if not worse than Ibrox.

Not sure why you are bringing up catholic descrimination from thirty years ago though?

Yes, a banned IRA chant is on the same level as the racism sectarianism and bigotry that runs through your club and support. Just as bad as each other eh

Ok three points this time.

1. I am a Hearts fan. Why would you assume I was a Rangers fan? Because I disagree with you?.
2. I am an athiest with no religious affiliation to anyone. (just saying, since I assume you think I am protestant)
3. To suggest supporting terrorists is not the same level as protestant bigotry is retarded.

Last edited:
Ok three points this time.

1. I am a Hearts fan. Why would you assume I was a Rangers fan? Because I disagree with you.
2. I am an athiest with no religious affiliation to anyone.
3. To suggest supporting terrorists is not the same level as protestant bigotry is retarded.

1. My bad, Hearts are very much involved with Celtic these days anyway so I'm sure you know all about it. Do you go to many Hearts games?
2. ok
3. Singing a song? Same level as discriminating against people based on their nationality and religion? What???

Glasgow Rangers Goalkeeper Allan McGregor Attacked In Nightclub, Sky Sources Understand | UK News | Sky News

I brought up Catholic descrimination from thirty years ago to demonstrate that the establishment have shown a great amount of bigotry to Irish Catholics (or in the case of many people now of Irish catholic descent) in Scotland, and although there has been chang, still not enough in the establishment.

I do remember that you've got a point a very vaild point there about those players.... I'm genuinley very sorry to hear that you've suffered violence first hand.

I personally don't like the fact that a lot of the sectarianism is brushed under the carpet, and a lot of senior members of the football community have admitted to singing these songs etc. Like I said I know at Celtic Park, you get thrown out for singing any sort of IRA song. Would be good to see other clubs do the same.

1. My bad, Hearts are very much involved with Celtic these days anyway so I'm sure you know all about it. Do you go to many Hearts games?
2. ok
3. Singing a song? Same level as discriminating against people based on their nationality and religion? What???

Nah, not really. I live a bit too far away now and can't really afford the commute as well as the ticket prices. I will be going to the Semi Final though.

What do you mean by 'involved with Cetlic' because some idiot tried to smack Lennon we are all bigots?

You are being critical of the songs they sing, why are pro IRA songs better?

I brought up Catholic descrimination from thirty years ago to demonstrate that the establishment have shown a great amount of bigotry to Irish Catholics (or in the case of many people now of Irish catholic descent) in Scotland, and although there has been chang, still not enough in the establishment.

I do remember that you've got a point a very vaild point there about those players.... I'm genuinley very sorry to hear that you've suffered violence first hand.

I personally don't like the fact that a lot of the sectarianism is brushed under the carpet, and a lot of senior members of the football community have admitted to singing these songs etc. Like I said I know at Celtic Park, you get thrown out for singing any sort of IRA song. Would be good to see other clubs do the same.

Personally I don't know anything about descrimination of catholics because it didn't happen in my time and I am from a very unreligious background. The same could be said about many races though.

It still upsets me to this day but i'm sure it's happened to others the other way around etc too. I just don't understand hatred in that level. It seems very primal that people shun others over race/gender.

2. ok

This sums exactly what i mean about your one eyedness. First you decide Kris is a Rangers fan for pointing out your issues.

You say Hearts are very much involved( they are not, but they did have that idiot who went after Lennon, and they have a small minority who are idiots to everyone), and yet you ignore your club's own issues which Kris points out.

Singing songs that are in support of an organisation that went out of its way to kill and murders hundreds of innocents is pretty **** offensive. Good luck trying to argue otherwise if you were ever in the premiership, the premier league would have a field day, and yet you complain about Rangers songs?

I'n not even going to get involved with the bloodstained poppy debacle.

Both Celtic and Rangers have issues within their support, pointing out who is worse is a fools game.

Last edited:
When I was about eight or nine a friends dad asked my name, to which I said 'Kris' to which he said 'good because if your name was Paddy, I'd have told you to GTFO'

Then to the other end of the scale my friends girlfriend's aunt's refuse to speak to him because he isn't catholic :\ They have been dating for seven years and still not a word.

Just a few examples.

Nah, not really. I live a bit too far away now and can't really afford the commute as well as the ticket prices. I will be going to the Semi Final though.

What do you mean by 'involved with Cetlic' because some idiot tried to smack Lennon we are all bigots?

You are being critical of the songs they sing, why are pro IRA songs better?

Personally I don't know anything about descrimination of catholics because it didn't happen in my time and I am from a very unreligious background. The same could be said about many races though.

It still upsets me to this day but i'm sure it's happened to others the other way around etc too. I just don't understand hatred in that level. It seems very primal that people shun others over race/gender.

There's an obvious rivalry between Celtic and Hearts at the moment, why would you act like you think I'm calling you a bigot lol

Celtic have a minority of Irish fans who chant about the IRA, which obviously is out of order. I just don't think it can be compared to Rangers' rioting, anti-catholic policy (which was the club, not the fans..), and the racist/sectarian songs sang by the MAJORITY of Rangers fans. I'm not comparing Celtic songs and Rangers songs, both are offensive, but Rangers do more than sing their songs.

@Mike, I wrongly assumed Kris was a Rangers fan, I don't see what's sinister about that. I assumed he supported a team he doesn't. I didn't decide he was a Rangers fan because I don't like the sound of his name or something. The last point in your post, the only issue he has pointed out is the chanting? Unless you're referring to the Novo/McGregor/Edu incidents which, like you said about the Hearts/Lennon incident, were obviously down to idiots which every club has.

When I was about eight or nine a friends dad asked my name, to which I said 'Kris' to which he said 'good because if your name was Paddy, I'd have told you to GTFO'

Then to the other end of the scale my friends girlfriend's aunt's refuse to speak to him because he isn't catholic :\ They have been dating for seven years and still not a word.

Just a few examples.

It's staggering how neither side are willing to see their issues.

There's an obvious rivalry between Celtic and Hearts at the moment, why would you act like you think I'm calling you a bigot lol

Celtic have a minority of Irish fans who chant about the IRA, which obviously is out of order. I just don't think it can be compared to Rangers' rioting, anti-catholic policy (which was the club, not the fans..), and the racist/sectarian songs sang by the MAJORITY of Rangers fans. I'm not comparing Celtic songs and Rangers songs, both are offensive, but Rangers do more than sing their songs.

@Mike, I wrongly assumed Kris was a Rangers fan, I don't see what's sinister about that. I assumed he supported a team he doesn't. I didn't decide he was a Rangers fan because I don't like the sound of his name or something. The last point in your post, the only issue he has pointed out is the chanting? Unless you're referring to the Novo/McGregor/Edu incidents which, like you said about the Hearts/Lennon incident, were obviously down to idiots which every club has.

Why is it obviously down to idiots every clubs have? Its a far more serious issue than you think, you downplay the problems on your side, and yet play up the problems on Rangers. That is what i'm talking about.