The Champions League Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter CJACKO11
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 246K
Sadly not.

Not for the next 3 years at least, unless all 3 of those teams reach the semi's in the next 2 years.

Poor performances in the Europa by Italian teams don't help, in the summer Germany was ahead Italy not much will have changed. Co-efficients are calculated over a period of seasons not just one.

So if we assume the English teams get no further the 80.66 league co efficient will only drop by a minute amount. A Europa League run by an English team will really help cushion the blow, but in the scheme of things Italy are 4-5 years realistically away from reclaiming a 4th CL spot and that's dependant on German Football slipping.

France really needed this though, this seasons performance should be enough to push it close to Portugal who it lost it's place to this year. I would like to see Portugal being restricted back to 2 spots and their 3rd qualifying spot going to either the Bundesliga or Serie A. That would be a good thing to do for competitiveness in the CL.

It's weird that it doesn't matter that in past 10 years italian teams have been second most succesfull in CL. 4 finals 3 trophies. Only Spain's better with 4 of 4.

If bundesliga gets anither cl spot germany will become far better in the cl cause the main reason germany does bad is that only bayern are constantly in the cl weres shalke, werder, bayer, mainz, hannover, dortmund and many more have to fight for the remaining spaces and rearly do they get it for more than two years in a run.

Sadly not.

Not for the next 3 years at least, unless all 3 of those teams reach the semi's in the next 2 years.

Poor performances in the Europa by Italian teams don't help, in the summer Germany was ahead Italy not much will have changed. Co-efficients are calculated over a period of seasons not just one.

So if we assume the English teams get no further the 80.66 league co efficient will only drop by a minute amount. A Europa League run by an English team will really help cushion the blow, but in the scheme of things Italy are 4-5 years realistically away from reclaiming a 4th CL spot and that's dependant on German Football slipping.

France really needed this though, this seasons performance should be enough to push it close to Portugal who it lost it's place to this year. I would like to see Portugal being restricted back to 2 spots and their 3rd qualifying spot going to either the Bundesliga or Serie A. That would be a good thing to do for competitiveness in the CL.

I know, they're a long way behind the germans, but it's good to see them doing well, especially considering both France and Portugal aren't that far behind them in the coefficients.

The bubble burst in 05/06, Serie A hit rock bottom. AC Milan overperformed under Carlo, Juve fell to Serie B and spent the past 5 years underachieving. The past 2 years coefficients have basically been the first two since Milan won, goes back over a 5 year period. And apart from Mourinho at Inter, in the past 4-5 years the coefficients have been dire.

07/08 - 10.250, 08/09 - 11.375, 09/10 - 15.428 (Germany got the highest that season, 18.083), 10/11 - 11.571, so far this year 11/12 - 8.071.

Gradually declining since the scandal that sunk Serie A, however the rebirth of Juve and the coming of age of Naples should see Italy re emerge over the next 3 years into a 4 spot team. The problem is going into Financial Fair Play Inter will need to reign it in when they rebuild, AC will need to cut their costs and that will take time. So I'm realistically not expecting 3 Italian teams seriously challenging for the CL for at least another 5 seasons.

Just seeing replay of Ajax Real game. Ajax has been robbed of place in last 16. Two goals which were onside were ruled offside..

United is a ******* disgrace. A ****** benfica winning a CL group... where is this world going?

im sorry what ??/

sportings a disgraces. burn seat at one's stadium. Benfica > sporting mingles

lol at Man Utd. haha. the media saying that man U will cakewalk easy in the beginning of the season. LOL. fail *****. ;).

I understand the suspicion, but many years ago I remember Spain had to score 12 goals or so, to qualify for a european cup. They did score 12 goals ... But if something of the genre was made in champions league.... Well there WOULD be punishment but look at uefa's president. XD

Kudos you say?

The Zagreb-Lyon game looks very fishy to me.

Back