The Champions League Discussion Thread

In theory, Brentford > Everton

Everton = United

United > Spurs > Europe

Brentford > Europe!

I think Partick Thistle are the only team who cannot be made the best team in Europe this way :'(

Didier Drogba is back for Chelsea tonight, It just shows how strong our squad is when we have played 3 games in the Champions League and won all 3 without Lampard and Drogba. I think we will win 3-0 tonight 2 goals for Drogba and 1 from Zhirkov.

Yeah, Spartak are in for a thumping tonight.

My prediction of the Chelsea starting 11 tonight

Cech
Ivanovic
Cole
Terry
Alex
Mikel
Essien
Ramires
Anelka/Kalou
Drogba
Zhirkov

The only thing im not sure about is if Carlo is going to give Nico a rest.

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 PM ----------

Got the team massivly wrong. Chelsea starting 11

Petr Cech
Paulo Ferriera
Ashley Cole
Branaslav ivanovic
Alex
Obi Mikel
Ramires
Yuri Zhirkov
Salomon Kalou
Nicholas Anelka
Didier Drogba

Obviously 2 big names our out in captain John Terry and Michael Essien. Terry is on the bench and Essien takes a well deserved rest after being the player who has played the most minutes for Chelsea so far this season.

Subs:
Ross Turnbull
Daniel Sturridge
John Terry
Van Aanholt
Jeffery Bruma
Gael Kakuta
Josh McEachran

---------- Post added at 11:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Spartak Moscow starting 11 and subs:

Andriy Dykan
Aleksandr Sheshukov
Ibson
Welliton
Alex
Yevgeni Makeev
Marek Suchy
Andrei Ivanov
Nicolas Pereja
Aiden McGeady
Dmitri Kombarov

Subs:
Aleksandr Belenov
Renat Sabitov
Nikola Drincic
Nikita Bazhenov
Anton Khodyrev
Jano Ananidze
Aleksandr Kozlov

Chelsea bench looks very weak.. if they get into a situation, I can't see anyone being able to come on and change the game.

Chelsea bench looks very weak.. if they get into a situation, I can't see anyone being able to come on and change the game.

Its a young bench but we haven't struggled yet this season, Sturridge, Kakuta and McEachran all have the attributes to change the game if need be. Although i don't expect us to struggle much tonight, i think we will have a nice lead at half time and then we can bring off Anelka and give him a rest.

And that John Terry amateur looks to have been thrown on for lack of numbers? He might be in a slippy situation against the mighty Russians.

agreed, in the unlikely case of things going awry there isnt anyone to really change it

agreed, in the unlikely case of things going awry there isnt anyone to really change it

Like i said Kakuta, Sturridge and McEachran are all good, pacy and confident players. I have watched every minute of every game this season and these lads can do a job if called upon.

Like i said Kakuta, Sturridge and McEachran are all good, pacy and confident players. I have watched every minute of every game this season and these lads can do a job if called upon.
that remains to be seen

His point is that of your bench, nobody there is a top-class, proven matchwinner. McEachran is talented but raw. Sturridge is a pacey, strong player but his finishing is doubtful. Kakuta was absolutely atrocious against Villa, and has only played for any length of time against mediocre opposition this year apart from us.

Last edited:
What is Ronaldo's problem? Arguably the best player on the planet? Why do that?

lolololololol at bbc sport, they thought ibrahimavic had scored

Excellent goal by Anelka, brilliant through ball by Kalou.

---------- Post added at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 AM ----------

Our defence is absolutely solid.