The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
On the one hand, I'm glad that Conte has made all of those critics - the ones who were saying he was going to be sacked in September after the back to back losses - eat their words.

On the other, I wish he didn't completely obliterate them. They've been proven wrong already, just drop some points now! Please :P

Costa is a different animal this season. It'll be interesting to see how they'll cope against Bournemouth, who are flying at the moment, without the now suspended Diego.

Costa is a different animal this season. It'll be interesting to see how they'll cope against Bournemouth, who are flying at the moment, without the now suspended Diego.

And Kante is now out. It is at home like so it'd be a real shock if they didn't overcome Bournemouth even without those two. But every little helps.

Ver hard watch again but it's effective. 11 straight would be phenomenal.

Another win, another clean sheet and nine points clear (for now)...

giphy.gif

(H)

James apparently requesting a British visa in Columbia and we are the heaviest linked clubb by far. Imagine it...

Costa
Hazard-James
Matic/Cesc-Kante

Last edited:
James apparently requesting a British visa in Columbia and we are the heaviest linked clubb by far.

Reminds me of my early years of FM. Gotta catch'em all! Wait, how the **** do I play with 5 strikers now? Oh ****. Time to start a new save.

On a more serious note, even though I would welcome such an acquisition, we'd have Pedro and Willian a bit unhappy with their limited first team chances. Yeah we could rotate, but as it is, we are last at number of players used this season.
Curious how this turns out.

James apparently requesting a British visa in Columbia and we are the heaviest linked clubb by far. Imagine it...

Costa
Hazard-James
Matic/Cesc-Kante

That trio...

australia%E2%80%99s-got-talent-promo-guy-2-o.gif

Not the signing we need right now. I mean we do need an upgrade to Pedro and Willian but a CM/WB is more important in January. However if James is moving and we have the opportunity to sign him then we have to take it imo. He's a world class player (at least for me he is).

Edit: Just noticed that James' wife is David Ospina's sister, so the London connection makes sense.

Last edited:
Think it would be a terrible signing imo. I mean I like him but defo not what you guys need and could easily see him as another Di Maria. A player not really wanting to come to England but due to his price being touted around 60m and upwards they won't be many suitors for him.

Think it would be a terrible signing imo. I mean I like him but defo not what you guys need and could easily see him as another Di Maria. A player not really wanting to come to England but due to his price being touted around 60m and upwards they won't be many suitors for him.

I think it could be kind of great. I agree, he's not what we need atm but he's the type of player we'll need eventually in Pedro/Willian's position. When James is in form he's easily a double figures man in both goals and assists. He'd ease the burden on Hazard. Plus if we did sign him and he turned out to be a 'flop', I don't think we'd ever take a big hit on him tbh. So for me, it's a no-brainer.

I think it could be kind of great. I agree, he's not what we need atm but he's the type of player we'll need eventually in Pedro/Willian's position. When James is in form he's easily a double figures man in both goals and assists. He'd ease the burden on Hazard. Plus if we did sign him and he turned out to be a 'flop', I don't think we'd ever take a big hit on him tbh. So for me, it's a no-brainer.
Agree he would defo add to your attack if he reaches his level, would be fantastistic for you guys. But he seems a very inconsistent player from what I've watched at Porto and Madrid. If your going to be paying 60 ish million csnt see you recouping close to that if he flops.

Agree he would defo add to your attack if he reaches his level, would be fantastistic for you guys. But he seems a very inconsistent player from what I've watched at Porto and Madrid. If your going to be paying 60 ish million csnt see you recouping close to that if he flops.

We could always ship him out to China for 100mil, if he doesn't turn out good. 'Cuz that's what we do. :D

Flopping is unlikely. High level flops very rarely occur in the modern game and more often than not, it isn't related to ability. At this level, players generally aren't inconsistent. He has superstar ability. He just needs minutes and the right manager. His main issue is his work rate. RM already carry Ronaldo up to the penalty spot. Can't carry both.

Flopping is unlikely. High level flops very rarely occur in the modern game and more often than not, it isn't related to ability. At this level, players generally aren't inconsistent. He has superstar ability. He just needs minutes and the right manager. His main issue is his work rate. RM already carry Ronaldo up to the penalty spot. Can't carry both.
That's what I meant. Can see him flopping due to work rate and not really fancying the move ala Di Maria. When we was close to signing him from Porto he was dead set on playing in Spain. Could work out and be great, has all the ability to do so. Lot of cash if it don't but that's nothing to do with me. Would love to see him in the Prem.

I would say it's the complete opposite tbh, he's very consistent. In fact even this season, he's barely featured for Madrid but when he's been called upon he's put in some excellent performances. Also he and Toni Kroos are joint highest in assists for Madrid this season, but Kroos has played almost double the amount of minutes that James has.

Yeah, if he did 'flop' then we almost certainly wouldn't recoup the whole fee. But as I said I don't think we'd take a big hit on him, and by big I mean something like £30m.

That's what I meant. Can see him flopping due to work rate and not really fancying the move ala Di Maria. When we was close to signing him from Porto he was dead set on playing in Spain. Could work out and be great, has all the ability to do so. Lot of cash if it don't but that's nothing to do with me. Would love to see him in the Prem.
That's something you already know before signing him.

I would say it's the complete opposite tbh, he's very consistent. In fact even this season, he's barely featured for Madrid but when he's been called upon he's put in some excellent performances. Also he and Toni Kroos are joint highest in assists for Madrid this season, but Kroos has played almost double the amount of minutes that James has.

Yeah, if he did 'flop' then we almost certainly wouldn't recoup the whole fee. But as I said I don't think we'd take a big hit on him, and by big I mean something like £30m.

Reports in the summer indicated that we tried to push through a loan deal for him with an option to buy. Something like that would be ideal in January as well. I think Rodriguez himself would prefer such a deal so that he can get some minutes and a taste of the EPL before he can commit one way or another in the summer.

Prices being mooted are a bit too crazy for me. Yes he is a fantastic player but someone like Griezzman fits our system much better and I suspect he will move this summer.

Looking at fees right now, Griezzman for 60-70 mil would be bargain. His fee will be a lot higher, maybe 60mil + player would be ok, but doubt it. Should go near the Pogba mark.
Think Griezmann release clause is about 85m. And Balague is saying Rodriguez will be 60m + 15m in installements and a Madrid won't except anything less.

I know this may come across as biased, being a United fan, but I really do think if Griezmann comes to England, then his only destination is at Old Trafford. The team he watched as a boy, idolising David Beckham. Getting that famous #7 from the all but departed Memphis Depay, playing alongside his national team mates and friends in Anthony Martial and in particular, Paul Pogba. That, on top of the lucrative wages we can offer (whatever Chelsea can offer, United can better), I just can't see him going anywhere else.

Only time will tell though.

I know this may come across as biased, being a United fan, but I really do think if Griezmann comes to England, then his only destination is at Old Trafford. The team he watched as a boy, idolising David Beckham. Getting that famous #7 from the all but departed Memphis Depay, playing alongside his national team mates and friends in Anthony Martial and in particular, Paul Pogba. That, on top of the lucrative wages we can offer (whatever Chelsea can offer, United can better), I just can't see him going anywhere else.

Only time will tell though.

Unfortunately as we have seen, boyhood fandom rarely plays a part in a players decison on where he should move. You are very mistaken on the wages bit. Chelsea are absolutely flush with cash at the moment and if the player is deemed right, we can challenge any club in the world. If you look back the previous few windows, Chelsea have not made that £60-70m signing because they have kept it in reserve for the right player.

Incredibly enough, our record transfer is still the £50m we paid for Torres in 2011 which is hilarious considering all the comments we get about being a super rich financial bully controlled by a Russian billionaire.

Back