The Chelsea Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Ramires
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 35K
  • Views Views 3M
I'm hesitant about getting a new, top class CB in next season, purely because it doesn't leave a lot of spaces. Assuming Dave and Luiz are nailed on starters, which they probably should be, that already only leaves 1 slot, with Christensen, Zouma, Cahill and potentially Ake to fill it. That's already 3 starters and 3 backups, and I worry that if we get a really great player in there, there will be very little time for the 2/3 younger lads to get a look in.

Squad depth and some more options would be great though. Got any names in mind for wingbacks?

You are probably right on CBs. It all comes down to just how much Conte trusts Christensen, Zouma and to a certain extent, Ake to step up and play significant minutes especially as we will be in the CL next season. My standard rule of thumb to determine whether a back-up is good enough really is - Do you trust him to play for an extended period in our first team if our first choice XI players are injured?

So do you trust Zouma or Ake to play an extended run of games if Azpi, Luiz or Cahill get injured? Either way, I agree that CB is not a priority.

I have no idea about wing-backs but I believe damola suggested some names from Serie A a few pages back.

The new stadium got a "blue" light. Looks like next season is the last on Stamford Bridge for a few years.

Big question, what would you guys do to the squad in the summer? I think teams are going to be better prepared for us next year and better themselves, so we need to keep moving forwards.

For me, the priority is a top class wingback, a new striker who can play alone if Conte doesn't fancy Bats for that role and possibly bringing Baker into the first team. The latter I'm not totally sure of, because he needs to keep playing if he's going to reach his level, but he is clearly talented and I'd be reluctant to sign a rotational CM that might stunt his chances.

Was talking to my brother the other day and both of us said we needed a better right wing back most definitely, Moses is okay but we could do better. I'd like Christensen to replace the retiring/departing JT, Baker to come in on a permanent basis and another winger and top striker even if Costa stays we need another.

Cuadrado would have been the ideal player for you guys. Kind of surprised he didn't want to stay around and give Conte a chance, although I guess there was no need for him to speculate on fitting your system when he had the alternative of a sure thing in Juventus.

Yeah Conte was buzzing to have him and looked at him in pre-season but he didn't do much to be fair. I think soon as Juve stated they wanted him he was happy to leave so made sense for all parties if he left.

The new stadium got a "blue" light. Looks like next season is the last on Stamford Bridge for a few years.

Cannot wait to visit the redeveloped Bridge, really is something different

Just a little pre match thought from me on tonights match. How do i think we'll do tonight and what would be acceptable? My heart is saying "we are top for a reason, we should be winning it" however my head is saying a draw is in no way a terrible result.

Why do i think this, well its because West Ham always raise their game for us especially at their place! They rolled over and got their bellies tickled by Arsenal, Man Utd and Man City x2 this season at their pad conceding 16 goals in them 4 matches! Yet tonight they will play like 1970 Brazil (or any side managed by Sam Allardyce i.e long ball to target man) and make us work so hard.

On paper this is one of our toughest matches left this season in my opinion arguably our third hardest behind the City and Utd games in April. So if we pass this test tonight its a monumental one, i'm not saying we won't i have full faith in the side but a point for me should not be sniffed at.

UTC!!!

There's no way the title is going anywhere else but Stamford Bridge this season. What a well organised and deadly team. Efficient! Great counter goal. Hazard is absolute world class. **** you Fergie! Should of paid the agent what ever he was asking :(

I said pre kick-off i wouldn't be too annoyed with a draw but blimey what a vintage away performance we just witnessed! West Ham played right into our hands (after a nervy 25 minutes of so) committing multiple players forward in our half and then we just broke on numerous occasions. For me we should have been out of sight at half time but we never failed to create chances on the counter even in the 2nd half.

I must say although Hazard got gifted man of the match and he was exceptional tonight i actually felt the whole back 5 and Kante (who was yet again on another level) deserved it as much as Hazard tonight. We were all worried and rightfully so about Carroll tonight but the whole back line especially Luiz dealt with him exceptionally well! I have to also add for me that was Moses's best game in a Chelsea shirt especially defensively. I cannot remember the last time we controlled a game so much the way we did for majority of the 2nd half.

Only negative was the goal we conceded, very sloppy and Conte will be livid no doubt but that is a very small negative in what was a monumental 3 points. I just want to finish by sending a special message.

Dear rest of Premier League opponents and media outlets.

We are sorry that we are not giving you the "title race" you all want/need.

Yours Sincerley
Everyone associated with Chelsea Football Club

UTC!!!!!

Oh and i want to add this, N'Golo Kante should not just be in line to win Chelsea's player of the season but the Premier League's too, the man is on another level

I'm so torn on Moses. On the one hand, he puts his all into every game pretty much every second he is on the pitch. He's pretty **** effective too. Seeing him wait so patiently, keep fighting then finally get a place in the squad is amazing and must be such an inspiring message for the likes of RLC, Chalobah, Baker etc.

But... he makes a lot of defensive mistakes, and I feel like people haven't really exploited that properly yet. At some point, someone is going to put a really, really good winger on his flank, send the majority of their attacks down that side and it's going to be Brana all over again.

I'm so torn on Moses. On the one hand, he puts his all into every game pretty much every second he is on the pitch. He's pretty **** effective too. Seeing him wait so patiently, keep fighting then finally get a place in the squad is amazing and must be such an inspiring message for the likes of RLC, Chalobah, Baker etc.

But... he makes a lot of defensive mistakes, and I feel like people haven't really exploited that properly yet. At some point, someone is going to put a really, really good winger on his flank, send the majority of their attacks down that side and it's going to be Brana all over again.

Azpilicueta on the right is our best solution, that does not involve spending any money, and dare I say a pretty good one. Zouma and Christensen back in action next season, we should be set defensively.

I felt Monday night was his best game defensively for us and started with him getting claret our of Carroll early on lol. I agree though, he is the one potential weak link at times and we could improve on him in general but he's doing okay for most part for sure.

I feel as if i do not write enough these days but after this football-less weekend i was thinking a few things and thought i'd jot it down here this Sunday evening. I want to write on why i believe we WILL win the Premier League title and its mainly down to questions being answered along the way. A bit confused, well i'll jump straight in and you'll get the gist.

Question #1: After the successful change to 3-4-3 halfway through the 3-0 mauling at the Emirates Chelsea were currently on a 6 game league winning run scoring 17 and conceding 0 in the process. And its there the latter where our first question was asked by doubters, what would happen when Chelsea actually go a goal down.

Answer #1: Chelsea then went on to concede first in our next 2 matches at home to Spurs and away to Man City and went on to win both matches 2-1 and 3-1 respectively. Question well and truly answered wouldn't you say???

Question #2: Chelsea were starting to become very reliant on the goals from Diego Costa. He's winner away at Crystal Palace was his 13th of the season for us so media folk and haters alike pondered whether Chelsea could be effective without the Brazilian/Spaniard?

Answer #2: Costa was booked in that Palace game meaning he would miss the Boxing day fixture against Bournemouth. Manager Antonio Conte went with a strikerless formation playing Hazard, Pedro and Willian with devastating effect, we ran out comfortable 3-0 winners. No Costa no problem.

Question #3: Chelsea were rampant, 13 straight league wins scoring for fun and sweeping up clean sheets along the way. The record 14th straight league win was in sight but we would have to beat in form Tottenham to take that record away from Arsenal however we were beaten 2-0 on the night so here we go again. "How would this defeat effect Chelsea, could they bounce back from this" asked the Title race hungry media and opposition supporters.

Answer #3: We went unbeaten in our next 10 matches (run still continuing) winning 8 of them in the process. Far more to this Chelsea i'm afraid.

Question #4: On the 12th January just 2 days before our trip to Premier League champions Leicester a bombshell was dropped. Our star striker Diego Costa had allegedly had a bust up with manager Antonio Conte and our manager had dropped him for the upcoming match amid reports he wanted to move to the Chinese league making him the highest paid player in the world......Allegedly!!! So a potential squad divider if the story was true, could Chelsea not be effected by all this negativity surrounding the club and their primary goalscorer??? And question #2 also being thrown back into the mix, could Chelsea even perform without Diego?

Answer #4: Chelsea went away from home and dominated the game beating Leicester City 3-0. A week later Costa made a comeback to the squad scoring in our 2-0 win vs Hull and gesturing to the cameras in his celebration that it was all talk.

Question #5: Chelsea had their match against West Ham at the Taxpayers stadium moved to a Monday night giving all their "opponents" to play and win first putting pressure on the boys from SW6. How much do Chelsea really want the title was put into question? We'd find out here.

Answer #5: Chelsea ran out 2-1 winners and in my eyes in one of the most controlled performances i have seen this season.

My whole point in doing this is purely because the reason why me normally Mr Pessimistic believes we will win the title is because we continue to answer questions thrown at us. This Chelsea is focused, determined, ruthless, driven and exceptional.

Lets all enjoy this run in fellow blues UTC!!!

Back