The Downfall of English Football

Anybody see ITV their they were just talking about this.

Looks like your'e league is going to end up like our's the only teams in England that comply with the Fair Play is Arsenal and Tottenham (Rangers and Celtic:O) Big Sam was on and he said it was ridiculous as well how much England spent so perhaps you better start worrying as if your'e team break's this rule your kicked out of any European tournament your'e in.

Anybody care to disagree now?

---------- Post added at 03:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 AM ----------

Looks like your'e league is going to end up like our's the only teams in England that comply with the Fair Play is Arsenal and Tottenham (Rangers and Celtic:O) Big Sam was on and he said it was ridiculous as well how much England spent so perhaps you better start worrying as if your'e team break's this rule your kicked out of any European tournament your'e in.

---------- Post added at 03:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 AM ----------

yeah i disagree, none of what has been said is new at all. and currently only they will, but the rest of the sides all will comply by the time they kick in

yeah i disagree, none of what has been said is new at all. and currently only they will, but the rest of the sides all will comply by the time they kick in

Did I post again twice just like I posted another thread perhaps something wrong with my laptop.

I only saw the end of it though unfortunately what were they saying?

Did I post again twice just like I posted another thread perhaps something wrong with my laptop.

I only saw the end of it though unfortunately what were they saying?
same thing that has been said for a year, that clubs need to bring down their spending wages etc. This has been coming for a long time, and the clubs have been preparing, hence citys large spending now, rather than in the future. You seem to focus on england when its a europe wide issue, with the bundesliga being the exception

FFP will actually help the likes of liverpool, manchester united etc, who have large revenue streams that they can spend

I focus on England as I know less about the other Leagues but also this thread is on England because of what happened yesterday:) I try not to go biast :)

None of the other countries were throwing money about as much as England though that's my point if they carry on like that it could ruin them but I'm talking about the future in around 5/10 years maybe 15 If that makes sense

---------- Post added at 04:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 AM ----------

also based on revenue that's good for a lot of team as their are a lot of big teams that can't compete any more with the rich clubs Celtic Ranger Ajax Anderlecht(sp) are just a few example's you could possibly say the Italian and Spanish Leagues are starting to ware Juve aren't as good as they once where Roma also. Spanish fans are protesting that they don't want an SPL(I am honoured) because Barca and Real are given TV broadcast first and the other team's find it hard to compete with them.

Mike when you were talking about FFR you said that some clubs may have already been affected one that just popped into my head Valencia they lost some of their key players over summer because of debts etc.

The most ironic thing in this thread is, it was posted by a Rangers fan, who after there chairman left theyve had to get rid of all the best players. Irony much?

Great post, what a breath of fresh air. The response you're getting is pretty sad and shows how much the English blindly support their league and everything about it no matter what. I'll write more on this tomorrow.

also based on revenue that's good for a lot of team as their are a lot of big teams that can't compete any more with the rich clubs Celtic Ranger Ajax Anderlecht(sp) are just a few example's you could possibly say the Italian and Spanish Leagues are starting to ware Juve aren't as good as they once where Roma also. Spanish fans are protesting that they don't want an SPL(I am honoured) because Barca and Real are given TV broadcast first and the other team's find it hard to compete with them.

Do realise that The Belgian and Dutch leagues have little to no work permit requirements. They can still be strong leagues they can still get players in that ok might not be good enough or don't have name recognition from all the parts of the world without being hassled about work permits and be financially secure ones as well if they are able to plan and play the transfer markets right. Plus they undoubtedly have been better prepared for poor economic times as the vast majority of their players are developed in house through their academies. Teams like Ajax, Feyenord, PSV, Anderlecht, Standard Liege all have fantastic youth recruitment and development. Of the other leagues this puts them at a great advantage.

yeah english teams have massive debt but they get massive windfalls from tv rights but the bubble will probably burst at some point you would imagine once a few more teams do a what we did and go into meltdown etc. but the teams in other leagues aren't in the best of shape. barca had to get a obscene loan in the summer to pay wages it wwas in excess of 150m (too tired to google) real madrid are in massive debt the only reason banks keep lending them money to buy players is because some how the king guarantees the loans not sure how it works anyone??? italy has been screwed for years because of the way they sold their tv rights they sold them to individual staions and gambled on that money coming back but it didn't the companies went bust the full game is in trouble not just england. i personally think no one should be allowed more than 49 percent of a club and that fans should always have a say but it would never work or be feasible

The downfall of Scottish football, wait when was it good???
i will admit scottish football is **** now but ten years ago both celtic and rangers had really good players. some of which moved to clubs like, arsenal, barcelona, as milan, manchester united, yes the op was a bit over the top and very inaccurate., however before saying scottish footbal is **** i would get your facts correct and then come back to me about it.

Do realise that The Belgian and Dutch leagues have little to no work permit requirements. They can still be strong leagues they can still get players in that ok might not be good enough or don't have name recognition from all the parts of the world without being hassled about work permits and be financially secure ones as well if they are able to plan and play the transfer markets right. Plus they undoubtedly have been better prepared for poor economic times as the vast majority of their players are developed in house through their academies. Teams like Ajax, Feyenord, PSV, Anderlecht, Standard Liege all have fantastic youth recruitment and development. Of the other leagues this puts them at a great advantage.

All good team's have good youth setup go back about twenty or thirty years and you had few foreigners in a team for example when Celtic won the CL every player was a Glaswegian but now team's spend ridiculass amount's on player's that Team's that are famous like the one's above cant pay that sort off money

---------- Post added at 05:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 AM ----------

yeah english teams have massive debt but they get massive windfalls from tv rights but the bubble will probably burst at some point you would imagine once a few more teams do a what we did and go into meltdown etc. but the teams in other leagues aren't in the best of shape. barca had to get a obscene loan in the summer to pay wages it wwas in excess of 150m (too tired to google) real madrid are in massive debt the only reason banks keep lending them money to buy players is because some how the king guarantees the loans not sure how it works anyone??? italy has been screwed for years because of the way they sold their tv rights they sold them to individual staions and gambled on that money coming back but it didn't the companies went bust the full game is in trouble not just england. i personally think no one should be allowed more than 49 percent of a club and that fans should always have a say but it would never work or be feasible

There are teams like that Celtic for example you get shares my Uncle has some.

I know about Barcelona but England went a bit to far yesterday

---------- Post added at 05:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 AM ----------

Great post, what a breath of fresh air. The response you're getting is pretty sad and shows how much the English blindly support their league and everything about it no matter what. I'll write more on this tomorrow.

Yeah but in defence of English people they wont notice it as much a non-English person as we take an outside view of it.

They talk about Spain/Italy/Scottish Leagues for example as it's not their own you don't notice it as much

Yeah with Leeds it wasnt our chairman left so we had no money anymore. Alot of us were glad to see the back of Ridsdale when he left Leeds, same with McKenzie and Krasner

I have changed the op as people were complaining hopefully it makes more sense:) going to sleep now see you all tomorrow :D

The most ironic thing in this thread is, it was posted by a Rangers fan, who after there chairman left theyve had to get rid of all the best players. Irony much?

I am actually a season ticket holder at Hampden for Queen's Park Ranger's are my European team as half my family are Celtic and half Ranger's **** I prefer the Spider's:)
Anyway would that not mean I'm warning them of what could happen?

If you've followed this forum with any detail, you know that we've spoken at length the perils the english league faces, and the fact the the financial fair play rules are badly needed. But the OP takes two transfers and then decides its the downfall of the english league. That is a flawed argument. So please, dont us tell we blindly support our league, we know all too well what's right and and more importantly, whats wrong with it

Last edited:
If you've followed this forum with any detail, you know that we've spoken at length the perils the english league faces, and the fact the the financial fair play rules are badly needed. But the OP takes two transfers and then decides its the downfall of the english league. That is a flawed argument. So please, dont us tell we blindly support our league, we know all too well what's right and and more importantly, whats wrong with it

Ahh is that where the misunderstanding was I was using them as an example for If you consistently bid that amount of money I't will lead to further debt problems

I know Liverpool made about £50 million so they ended up spending 10 which is'nt bad

Chelsea on the other had spent 70million on two players

Ahh is that where the misunderstanding was I was using them as an example for If you consistently bid that amount of money I't will lead to further debt problems

I know Liverpool made about £50 million so they ended up spending 10 which is'nt bad

Chelsea on the other had spent 70million on two players
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f18/...e-fixation-before-uefa-rules-bite-t62763.html

that explains Roman's motives

Yeah thats where the misunderstanding comes. No one is in any doubt that the Premier league must change to survive, but you cant use those two transfers to call it the downfall

Last edited:
this might be of interest to you all :) just found this thread... this may be a solution to this problem...
http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/f18/a-league-transfer-cap-kitty-t62780.html#post957267

I have read it and It is a good Idea as I don't want to see any team go down the tube.
Not even Celtic as then Scottish Football would be boring :(

Really smart idea do you mind if I put it in the op for other's to read as it's pretty poor (my op)and this is someting i'm trying to get across but you have done it far better than me :)

Last edited:
Football has been dying a slow death here in England since sky and the premier league came along. National team slowly got worse, very few great english players, we have oyur worst national team in years and cant see an end to that anytime soon.

Our teams are full of mercenaries who are here purely for cash and our teams are ownd by wealthy playboys who are here for fun and will be the very ruin of the clubs they own.