The Everton Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 4K
  • Views Views 346K
No one is ever to good to go down, look at my team Leeds nearly 11 years on we still are in one big mess. I do think you will be ok though you seem to be getting clean sheets again with 3 on the bounce in the league. But not really been watching football to closely this year too much work :( what do you think the problem is, is Martinez over complicating things or is he being to stubborn. I'll be honest I didn't expect you to do as well as last year because teams who qualify for europa rarely do.

Just a case of needing to instill some fight in the players. Yes the players need to step up to the plate aswell-they are more than capable of doing so. But still..... There just seems to be a distinct lack of fire. Comes across as being too soft. I have nothing against him at all-but that's the impression I get right now. And god knows what's happening in training. It's just injury after injury after injury in training. Not helped when we've already lost Baines for the Chelsea match.

For all the hype Martinez gets in the media I fail to see how they play any good football. It's embarrassing the way he set up team at home against Liverpool.

For all the hype Martinez gets in the media I fail to see how they play any good football. It's embarrassing the way he set up team at home against Liverpool.

Think the 'success' of last season went to his head a little bit. His transfer dealings in the summer left a lot to be desired as well considering Everton were also in Europa

Think the 'success' of last season went to his head a little bit. His transfer dealings in the summer left a lot to be desired as well considering Everton were also in Europa

They have spent so much money on transfers and also big sum on wages for free transfers. On top of that they haven't lost any big star. Their season is just bizzare for some reason as they have very good first team with almost no weakness in the team.

They have spent so much money on transfers and also big sum on wages for free transfers. On top of that they haven't lost any big star. Their season is just bizzare for some reason as they have very good first team with almost no weakness in the team.

Cant quite get my head around the purchase of Eto'o. Sure he is a big star with still a lot to contribute but his wages are surely obscene for a club of Everton's size?

Personally I always thought bringing in Eto'o was a mistake-it was unnecessary expenditure we didn't need, and I stated this before. It was a mistake waiting to happen

At least the defending was resolute. How Lukaku missed that though-oh yeah, frickin Cech. Oh well **** happens. We deserved to get a point out of this, but the Barry sending off was just....urgh. Just a shame that some childish behaviour toward the end by idiots ruined it.

But I'll defy anyone to say we were not unlucky to lose it so near the end because we were. That's what a deflected shot can do sadly-undo all that hard work.

At least the defending was resolute. How Lukaku missed that though-oh yeah, frickin Cech. Oh well **** happens. We deserved to get a point out of this, but the Barry sending off was just....urgh. Just a shame that some childish behaviour toward the end by idiots ruined it.

But I'll defy anyone to say we were not unlucky to lose it so near the end because we were. That's what a deflected shot can do sadly-undo all that hard work.

Chelsea should have had a penalty early on mate. Clear handball by Naismith. Everton grew into the game later on but it really shouldn't have been 0-0 for so long

Chelsea should have had a penalty early on mate. Clear handball by Naismith. Everton grew into the game later on but it really shouldn't have been 0-0 for so long

Surprised there wasn't a pen. Though I shouldn't be with the current standard of officiating

The wat now? Its football, not dodgeball. If that was legitimate handball, teams would spend 99% of games trying to shot opponents in the shoulder in the pen area.

The wat now? Its football, not dodgeball. If that was legitimate handball, teams would spend 99% of games trying to shot opponents in the shoulder in the pen area.

I need to look at it again properly tbh. I need to calm my skin and look at it properly. I'm still intensely annoyed at the moment

Seemed pretty clear to me he was simply trying to get his hand away from the ball. It aimed at his shoulder with great pace so nothing he could have done. It only looks like he's trying to hit the ball because of how forearms naturally bend if you try to move your entire arm backwards.

Seriously if that was a way to get pens I'd just powershot defenders in the face for 90 minutes for a guaranteed penatly.

Seemed pretty clear to me he was simply trying to get his hand away from the ball. It aimed at his shoulder with great pace so nothing he could have done. It only looks like he's trying to hit the ball because of how forearms naturally bend if you try to move your entire arm backwards.

Seriously if that was a way to get pens I'd just powershot defenders in the face for 90 minutes for a guaranteed penatly.

Or have a Suarez in the side ;)

Did you you even watch the game? It wasn't aimed at his shoulder with great pace but instead deflected of another defender. He wasn't trying to get his hand away from the ball because if he didn't move, it wouldn't have hit him. He literally threw his arm into the path of the ball and knocked it away

Did you you even watch the game? It wasn't aimed at his shoulder with great pace but instead deflected of another defender.

I did watch highlights. And deflection is another thing refs typically have to look into, when deciding if its intentional handball or not. Its not nearly as simple as arm=pen or even hand movement=pen.

He wasn't trying to get his hand away from the ball because if he didn't move, it wouldn't have hit him.

He doesn't know that, though. You know that, cause you see it in slow motion from good camera angle. All Naismith knows is there's a ball incoming near his arm. And he can't just move aside due to how his entire body is positioned after scuffle with Chelsea player, think it was Willian?

So he swings his arm backwards, shoulder naturally going up and forearm going forward, and then it hits.

Until players become cyborgs with detachable arms, refs need to take into consideration whether contact was even avoidable. Unpredictable ball that just bounces around at great speed is pretty standard case for pens not being given.

Last edited:
Although I'm happy we beat Young Boys 4-1 today......the Lukaku hat trick rings hollow after what he said before. Missed the reason why Stones was sent off though so will have to look into that.

Safe to say our defending tonight is rather **** poor. It's just absolutely shocking.

Oh well. Off to do some raiding in Warcraft

Last edited:
Alcaraz is in another league of his own when it comes to ****.

Makes Jones look like Maldini.

Back