The FA Cup Final 2012: Chelsea vs Liverpool - May 5th KO 5:15

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 143
  • Views Views 15K
It's also because a large portion of Liverpool fans are Irish or have Irish heritage.

I'll also pick up on your comment on Gerrard, singing the national anthem =/= being a proud englishman. Different players do different things to "get in the zone". Doesn't make the Englishmen any more or less patriotic than the great English heroes Terry, Cole, Barton etc.

I just think it does't hurt to sing the anthem, like I said if your fans have that view then it wouldn't surprise me if Gerrard shares that.

It doesn't hurt, no, but I don't see why you should have to sing the Anthem. Not all rugby players sing the anthem at international level etc.

It doesn't hurt, no, but I don't see why you should have to sing the Anthem. Not all rugby players sing the anthem at international level etc.

Okay i take your point that's fair enough. But for Pool fans to boo it because "they hate the FA". Every team in the country has hated the FA at some point. If you don't want to be part of this country then by all means make your own country and league see how long you last. That or join the SPL.

General hatred for the monarchy, and FA amongst a lot of people on Merseyside. I'm not saying it's fine and whatnot, but the imperialistic history of this country is something that not a lot of scousers agree with, essentially Merseyside is external of England, it may's well be a different country. I think you could count the number of scousers who like the national team on one hand, which was kind of shown by the booing.

Not find excuses or whatever, but YNWA gets booed by opposition, which is essentially our 'national anthem'.

But yah.

Why do Scousers have more reason than the rest of the country to hate the imperialistic history and monarchy of the country that shelters you, feeds you, gives you clean water, clothes you? I disagree with criticising players for not singing the anthem beforehand, I don't think it's a particularly good anthem relative to other nationalistic songs we have; but to boo it and call yourselves external to England is ******* retarded.

Okay i take your point that's fair enough. But for Pool fans to boo it because "they hate the FA". Every team in the country has hated the FA at some point. If you don't want to be part of this country then by all means make your own country and league see how long you last. That or join the SPL.

Pool would actually have a legitimate chance of winning the league then lol

It's also because a large portion of Liverpool fans are Irish or have Irish heritage.

I'll also pick up on your comment on Gerrard, singing the national anthem =/= being a proud englishman. Different players do different things to "get in the zone". Doesn't make the Englishmen any more or less patriotic than the great English heroes Terry, Cole, Barton etc.

Wouldn't Irish fans support Everton instead since isn't Everton FC the Catholic club in Liverpool while Liverpool FC is the Protestant club?

And what is this story behind it besides it being a very very poor song. To me its just a song, every club has them but Liverpool's isen't any different. I really don't get why Liverpool see themselves as a more important side than any other. Its not a national anthem its the clubs song, Liverpool's national anthem is "god save the queen" as Liverpool is situation in ENGLAND. Chelsea fans were wrong to chant "murderer" in the semi final but Liverpool fans were wrong to boo the national anthem yesterday, your not always the victims as you think you are.
I love YNWA, gives me goosebumps listening to it. It's just so full of feeling. I'm also interested to know what the story is behind the song. Also during international matches when the national anthems are sung you see players not singing the national anthem, it's no big deal. I personally severely dislike the national anthem but I probably would sing it if I was playing for England :P

I agree, YWNA > God save the Queen.

Our national anthem is balls.. I wouldn't boo it, but I still think it's balls.

also most liverpool fans were singing ynwa over the national anthem rather than booing

Last edited:
also most liverpool fans were singing ynwa over the national anthem rather than booing

Sounded like they were booing then after the anthem they started to sing YNWA.

Seen this floating around Facebook, made me laugh:

545038_286769604745872_204420802980753_647700_402179656_n.jpg

I agree, YWNA > God save the Queen.

Our national anthem is balls.. I wouldn't boo it, but I still think it's balls.

It's a song ******* Robson and Jerome covered, i know they don't use that version but how gay can you get seriously!!!! Granted god save the queen is poor but so is that!!!

Last edited:
Wouldn't Irish fans support Everton instead since isn't Everton FC the Catholic club in Liverpool while Liverpool FC is the Protestant club?

No.

Strong ties to the city of Liverpool (and Manchester), probably down to Liverpool being a better team, people supporting dads team etc.

(I assume that's the reason, people don't really look into religion in teams, usually.)

Only Man Utd(10), Arsenal(9) and Spurs(8) have won more FA Cups than Ashley Cole, forget all his **** off the pitch for a minute and just realise how great of a player he has been for club and country.

No doubt he's a great player. Been one of the great LB's from the past decade. Could walk into pretty much any team in his prime.

(Still hate him, though!)

Back