The FA Cup Final 2012: Chelsea vs Liverpool - May 5th KO 5:15

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 143
  • Views Views 15K
interesting that like people have said already, Di Matteo is playing to the strengths of the players rather than enforcing his own style on them. Personally, I think the best managers are the ones that are able to adapt to the players they have got rather than making the players adapt to them. Should deffo appoint Di Matteo.

interesting that like people have said already, Di Matteo is playing to the strengths of the players rather than enforcing his own style on them. Personally, I think the best managers are the ones that are able to adapt to the players they have got rather than making the players adapt to them. Should deffo appoint Di Matteo.

Something I have bee saying for quite a while except you put it better in words. His style suits all the players in the squad while AVB's style only suited half of them

After the goal/no goal fiasco I conced I was wrong. Looked at the replays a few times and from a few diff angles and it appears the entire ball didnt cross the line. If only Andy didnt celebrate so soon he could have tapped it in :(

I hate Chelsea but I conced they played the better game. They were superior for a hour and we only played a game for 30 mins. All credit has to go to Di Matteo

Terry and Lampard have played tons of games with RDM in charge, i do not know what kinda tinted glasses you watch your team with to be honest. For the short term RDM has done very well with his back to basics approach, but for the future he is not the right man for the job. The performances suddenly improving since AVB left is no RDM genius trust me.

And since when 'go-back-to-basics' approach is a bad thing? How many times should I say that results count not the tiki-taka flashy type of football with a highline and ultra attacking tactics. RDM is better than AVB in this respect (as well as in many others). He actually plays the players he has the way that suits them best. Thats what a manager must do, and thats why I like RDM and want him to be our permanent manager.

Spot on mate.

RDM is a legend.

After the goal/no goal fiasco I conced I was wrong. Looked at the replays a few times and from a few diff angles and it appears the entire ball didnt cross the line. If only Andy didnt celebrate so soon he could have tapped it in :(

I hate Chelsea but I conced they played the better game. They were superior for a hour and we only played a game for 30 mins. All credit has to go to Di Matteo

It was inconclusive on the goal part. The official rightly gave the benefit of doubt to Chelsea. Carroll should have tapped it in but dont blame him, I am sure he thought it was in as in real-time it looked as if it was in to me and I was sitting miles away

Liverpool played very well in the last 30min. Carroll's goal really spurred them on and Chelsea were defending for their lives. But the thing is we have gone back to the Mourinho era tactics, score and then sit back and soak the pressure. Last time when we went in-front, it was game over. Now we are not that good anymore but Liverpool made it tough for themselves after their first-half performance

Credit to KD and the players though, played well and gave us an entertaining match. I did not see Suarez take his medal. Should show more sportsmanship

I disagree to be honest, but I guess it is just each to their own opinion. I think the best managers have their "style" and play the team to fit into that certain way over a period of time (AVB never got that time, I am not saying he is one of the best managers either).

It was inconclusive on the goal part. The official rightly gave the benefit of doubt to Chelsea. Carroll should have tapped it in but dont blame him, I am sure he thought it was in as in real-time it looked as if it was in to me and I was sitting miles away

Liverpool played very well in the last 30min. Carroll's goal really spurred them on and Chelsea were defending for their lives. But the thing is we have gone back to the Mourinho era tactics, score and then sit back and soak the pressure. Last time when we went in-front, it was game over. Now we are not that good anymore but Liverpool made it tough for themselves after their first-half performance

Credit to KD and the players though, played well and gave us an entertaining match. I did not see Suarez take his medal. Should show more sportsmanship

Oh yeah, im not blaming Carroll. Like in the same position I would have celebrated too. He was sure he beat the keeper. These things happen. Overall I thought Carroll did well. He looked dangerous and if only he could play like that every game we would be higher up the table. He is slowly winning fans around and im glad for him.

As for Suarez, he did take his medal and shake hands whit who handed them out too. In saying that he was dissapointed, as were all the team. I think Kenny sent out the wrong mentality at the start of the game and the early goal killed us.

Andy Caroll was absolutely brilliant today, if he starts to play like that more consistently then he will win over everyone. He made Liverpool so much more dangerous in the last half an hour when he came on. I still would perhaps take a punt on him at the Euro's for England, he is definitely a different option, even if he is on the bench most of the time as an impact sub.

I disagree to be honest, but I guess it is just each to their own opinion. I think the best managers have their "style" and play the team to fit into that certain way over a period of time (AVB never got that time, I am not saying he is one of the best managers either).

Yes I agree with that. Over a period of time they should but my point is, you can't go into a club and change the way the team plays so dramatically. You've got two cases recently where it has failed Hodgson at Liverpool and AVB at Chelsea. If you're going to change the way a team plays, you've got to do it slowly and over a long period of time rather than all at once. Players have to be adaptable so managers should be too.

Also on your point about style, i personally think a team that have a diverse range of style with the ability to mix it up a bit makes there teams more prepared for different situations as well as being unpredictable.

Last edited:
I thought the 'goal' wasn't a goal from replays, although I really felt sorry for Andy Carroll since he had such a brilliant game and could've been the hero of the final. He's better getting, fairly, undeserved stick recently although the level of his performances hasn't been bad.

I've said all along that he isn't a bad player, we just need to play to his strengths; and we did that today. He was absolutely brilliant and really gave us a Plan B! I think the team played brilliant for the last hour or so today, it's just a shame a few defensive errors cost us.

When you play against a team like Chelsea, you need to be clinical and be tight at the back too. We were poor defensively, at times, and we failed to convert some of our good chances (Luis Suarez was particularly inefficient) I liked the way we kept possession in the middle, although possession isn't everything in a game! Despite the loss, I think we can be proud of our performance (well done Chelsea, by the way)!

- PZW

Watch all Liverpool fans rally for Bayern Munich in the Champions League Final.

I heard that Liverpool fans booed during the national anthem. Why may I ask??

I heard that Liverpool fans booed during the national anthem. Why may I ask??

General hatred for the monarchy, and FA amongst a lot of people on Merseyside. I'm not saying it's fine and whatnot, but the imperialistic history of this country is something that not a lot of scousers agree with, essentially Merseyside is external of England, it may's well be a different country. I think you could count the number of scousers who like the national team on one hand, which was kind of shown by the booing.

Not find excuses or whatever, but YNWA gets booed by opposition, which is essentially our 'national anthem'.

But yah.

General hatred for the monarchy, and FA amongst a lot of people on Merseyside. I'm not saying it's fine and whatnot, but the imperialistic history of this country is something that not a lot of scousers agree with, essentially Merseyside is external of England, it may's well be a different country. I think you could count the number of scousers who like the national team on one hand, which was kind of shown by the booing.

Not find excuses or whatever, but YNWA gets booed by opposition, which is essentially our 'national anthem'.

But yah.

But every team has had a reason to hate the FA. If Liverpool don't want to be a part of this country then i'd suggest they go elsewhere and go play in Wales or Scotland if it makes them happy. I did notice a certain Gerrard not signing the national anthem yesterday too, what has he got to be ****** off with the FA about? If its the same reason as your fans then he should have turned down every call-up and everytime he got handed the armband.

Also YNWA is a song you come out too, your club song its exacly the same as Chelsea who come out to the Liquidator.

But every team has had a reason to hate the FA. If Liverpool don't want to be a part of this country then i'd suggest they go elsewhere and go play in Wales or Scotland if it makes them happy. I did notice a certain Gerrard not signing the national anthem yesterday too, what has he got to be ****** off with the FA about? If its the same reason as your fans then he should have turned down every call-up and everytime he got handed the armband.

Also YNWA is a song you come out too, your club song its exacly the same as Chelsea who come out to the Liquidator.

Actually, You'll never walk alone is sang after the team have came out. You'll never walk alone has a great story behind it and why it was sung. The Liquidator isn't sang with as much passion and I wouldn't put it in the same bracket.

Actually, You'll never walk alone is sang after the team have came out. You'll never walk alone has a great story behind it and why it was sung. The Liquidator isn't sang with as much passion and I wouldn't put it in the same bracket.

And what is this story behind it besides it being a very very poor song. To me its just a song, every club has them but Liverpool's isen't any different. I really don't get why Liverpool see themselves as a more important side than any other. Its not a national anthem its the clubs song, Liverpool's national anthem is "god save the queen" as Liverpool is situation in ENGLAND. Chelsea fans were wrong to chant "murderer" in the semi final but Liverpool fans were wrong to boo the national anthem yesterday, your not always the victims as you think you are.

Last edited:

It's also because a large portion of Liverpool fans are Irish or have Irish heritage.

I'll also pick up on your comment on Gerrard, singing the national anthem =/= being a proud englishman. Different players do different things to "get in the zone". Doesn't make the Englishmen any more or less patriotic than the great English heroes Terry, Cole, Barton etc.

Last edited:
Back