The Fight For Survival - Wigan Athletic

200px-Sky_Sports_logo.svg.png

Relegation Fight: Tale Of The Tape
This is a preview of all the sides involved in the Relegation fight at the end of the season, with just seven games to go we will analyze the fixtures with Sky Sports pundits Gary Neville and Jamie Redknapp, and run through the fixtures and key men involved.

gary-neville_1977288c.jpg

Wolverhampton Wanderers
wolves-logo.jpg

Key Man

PA-9560233.jpg

G.Nev
Fletcher is quite simply the guy who could keep wolves up, they really lack goals and Fletcher himself has just 9 goals this season, but he turns up in the big games, and for the last 7 games of the season they're all cup finals, I have Wolves staying up just and i think it'll be Fletchers goals that keep them there.
Fixtures

Man City - H
Chelsea - H
West Brom - A
Newcastle - A
Tottenham - H
Bolton - A
Stoke - H

Wolves have a very difficult run in with all their games at home against the best of the best. It could come down to the game away at Bolton on the 2nd to last game of the season.

Current Position - 17th
Prediction - 17th

Aston Villa

aston-villa-logo.jpg

Key Man
images

J.Redknapp
This league is all about goals, goals, goals, and i cant think of a better poacher in the bottom half of the league, i'm sure all the clubs involved in the dog fight would trade any other player to have Bent in there side, and despite a lean season that has just seen him enter double figures i think he is a once chance one goal man, who will keep Villa up
Fixtures

Bolton - H
Stoke - H
Swansea - A
Blackburn - A
QPR - H
Norwich - A
Everton - A

Villa have the luxury of winnable games throughout the end of the season, but if theyre just ahead with two games to go and two away games they could be in a precarious position.

Current Position - 16th
Prediction - 16th

Blackburn Rovers
Blackburn-Rovers.jpg

Key Man
_56446470_junior_hoilett.jpg

G.Nev
Junior Hoilett is box office, and an ace in the pack for Steve Kean. he's been linked to all the top clubs including Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool. When youre down at the bottom you need someone to pick the ball up and turn the game I dont think Wolves, Bolton or Wigan have that but in Hoilett Kean has someone special who can turn games in the blink of an eye, link that up with Yakubu and they have the potential firepower to stay up

Fixtures

Arsenal - A
Swansea - A
Wigan - H
Aston Villa - H
Norwich - H
Liverpool - A
Man City - H

Another very difficult run-in, they may be hoping city have the title wrapped up before they face off on the final day, Wigan at home is a massive game.
Current Position - 18th
Prediction - 18th

Wigan Athletic
images

Key Man
PA-8541758.jpg

J.Redknapp

McCarthy has found himself thrust to fore as the main man in the dressing room and on the pitch at Wigan, Rafa Benitez has entrusted him as captain with Gary Caldwell now out for the rest of the campaign, if he can pick the ball up and dictate the tempo and help unleash the attacking prowess of the likes of Rodallega and Moses, Wigan can have a fighting chance
Fixtures
Swansea - H
Norwich - H
Blackburn - A
Liverpool - A

Man City - H
West Brom - A
Chelsea - H

Very difficult for wigan, they need to get a minimum of 7 points on the board from their next three games as i can see them losing out from Liverpool onwards, against three of the top 6 and away at West Brom i cant see them getting anything and ultimatley doomed to the Championship.

Current postion - 19th
Prediction - 20th

Bolton Wanderers
Bolton%2BWanderers.png

Key Man

729749853-soccer-barclays-premier-league-bolton-wanderers-v-liverpool-reebok-stadium.jpg

G.Nev
Holden is the only player who in the Bolton side who i believe the other relegation candidates would take in their team. Holden is fantastic technically and in an aging side brings bundles of youthful exubrance, that could propel Bolton to have a sniff at staying up. I have a feeling that with the wise old heads of Petrov, Davies and Jaaskelainen, Bolton have canny operates which gives them a glimmer of hope.
Fixtures

Aston Villa - A
QPR - A
Stoke - H
Everton - H
Man Utd - A
Wolves - H
Fulham - A

Bolton have a managable run-in and winnable games, they will view the trip to Old Trafford as a wipe-off and concentrate on the massive games off Villa away and Wolves at home
Current position - 20th
Prediction - 19th

Last edited:
One Point From Two Games Leads Benitez To Declare: 'its Going To be Almost Impossible'

Rafael Benitez has today dismissed his clubs chances of staying in the League after gaining just one point from the two most winnable games in the hardest run-in within the league. Two games in two days saw Wigan initialy lose a 2-1 lead at home to Swansea before being defeated 3-2 again at home to Norwich.
_44583499_benitez512.jpg

Wigan 2-2 Swansea
Vorm OG(36) Rodallega (45) , Graham (14) Caulker (78)

article-2109675-12039A89000005DC-291_634x460.jpg

A horrible pill to swallow, we played very very well here, and were undone right near the end where once again there was no leadership deffensivley in the box, we miss Gary masively, and it meant to game against Norwich in to days, where i would play the exact same XI, needed, needed, to be a win.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wigan 2-3 Norwich
Watson (29) Gomez (72) - Morrison (38) Jackson Pen (42) Hoolahan (67)
article-2025605-0D6A7CA500000578-651_634x333.jpg

The defeat now leaves Wigan level on points with the other three relegation candidates where Wolves, Bolton and Blackburn are all on 27 points. Wigan however have a run-in that sees them face Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea. There fate then it sees could come down to one game, their next match away at Blackburn, which could be their final points won of the season and then lead to a lot of praying from the North-West fans.

Local Derby Defeat Could Signal End For Latics

Blackburn+Rovers+v+Wigan+Athletic+Premier+e-dh1T7xtQTl.jpg

Blackburn 4-1 Wigan
Rochina (17) Figueroa OG (42) Samba (52) Dann (85) , Alcarez (2)

This defeat looks like it may have sealed our fate its left us three points adrift with only one realistic game to win left, and its not just the points, psychologically the lads have just been thrashed by a side that was level on points with us and after taking the lead. I will lift the ban on Crusat ahead of my emotional return to Anfield, and will give Kenny a call later to see if he can do me a favour.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rodallega: I'm Not Even Playing For The Club
In an unbelievable admission today columbian striker and fan favourite Hugo Rodallega has admitted hes given up on the club and did since early february, the quotes come just a day before they travel to Anfield in hope of remaining in the division and will leave intrim Wigan manager Rafael Benitez livid. Rodallega is quoted as saying, 'Since February ive known Wigan will be relegated so ive been looking out for number one and looking for a move, it would be a lie if i said id given 100% every week because i do not want to pick up an injury that may jepordise a move away.' Rodallega later tweeted that ......
@Hugo_Rodallega I'm angry this has come out i told it in the stricktest confidence
Soccer---Barclays-Premier-006.jpg

Rodallega Waving Goodbye to DW?

Latics Crushed By Rampant Liverpool In Emotional Benitez Return
In a build up dominated by the new Wigan managers feud with starlet Hugo Rodallega, who was left out of the match day squad, it was a day of high emotion as kop favourite returned to Anfield to raptures applause and song of theres only 'one Rafa Benitez.' It was however a simple enough day for Liverpool who steamrolled Benitez' Wigan who now look certain for the drop following a crushing 4-1 victory for the red men.

Liverpool 4-1 Wigan
Carrol (18) Adam (30) OG Gohuri (45+1) Suarez (45+2, 73) , Moses (18)
Liverpools-Andy-Carroll-007.jpg

Again the defence was so so poor, we got ourselves back in the game through a bit of individual excellence, yet defence wise we were once again woeful, i will be bringing a youth player into the side over the next week, as im sure he'll show much more hunger and desire than the bunch of lads at the moment.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
City All But Wrap Up Title As They Doom Wigan

Man City 2-0 Wigan
Aguero (39) Dzeko (63)
mancitywigan_ap.jpg

Manchester City have all but guarenteed the Premier League title now leading by six points with two games remaining, in the process they have condemed Wigan to relegation who with two games to go have been confirmed as the first to drop this season. Intrim manager Rafa Benitez lead his players around the ground to congradulate all those fans who were there at the game and had supported them this season a sentiment that Greg Young of the Wigan supporters trust said was a 'fantastic gesture.' 'We've been living the dream for so long now and in reality this was confirmed at home to Norwich and Swansea, we think Rafa for coming to a club of our calibre, with the stature in the game he has, and we know if everyone gets behind the club we could come back.'
Owner Dave Whelan has confirmed that the hunt for the new man begins today and that he will consider an offer for any player, 'All the players are up for sale yeh, of course i'd like to keep some theres some nice lads but the truth is that the squad isnt good enough and now is the time to disband and start again, we're going to look at the Swansea and Norwich model and bring in a guy who can produce good football with fresh young British talent and tried and tested lower league talent rather than foreign 'stars'
Whelan also commented on the man he was looking for to leave the club when Intrim manager Benitez leaves after the final game at home to Chelsea. 'Well we'll sit and have a discussion draw up a list and work our way down, top of that will be Rafa he'll say no and we'll work down from that haha, we know he cant manage here hes a champions league manager and we're now a Championship club.'

0,,10429~9011396,00.jpg

Wigan Players thank the fans after their first sell-out game of the season

Last edited:
How did you manage to make the table like real-life when you started this save? By using FMRTE? (I might want to make one for Bolton or Blackburn).

Oh, and which folder do you put the file in?

yeh i did i explained it in the OP, and theres a save game file a page back :D just place it in the 'games' folder in your SI, my documents :)

Classy West Brom Put Wigan To The Sword To Compound Relegation Woe

Peter-Odemwingie-300x240.jpg

West Brom 3-0 Wigan
Odemwingie (47) Olsson (17,67)

Wigan fans were today treated to the reason they have been relegated to the Championship with a astonishingly poor defence performance in a 3-0 drubbing by West Brom. Rafael Benitez stated after the game that todays performance was 'understandable.' but that the players 'let the side down' and need to 'show some pride,' in the last game of the season at home to Chelsea.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Benitez: I'm Proud Of The Players, Fans And Too Be Associated With This Club

Chelsea 0-0 Wigan

Rafael benitez gave an emotional speach reminisant to that of Avram Grants as his side drew 0-0 with Chelsea on the final game of the season a game that also saw Andre Villas-Boas lose his job after just one season at Stamford Bridge having failed to qualify for the Champions League. Chelsea a post that Benitez has been heavily linked with, looked as if they were already on the beach, on the other hand the Wigan players showed guts and courage but it was a performance that was too little too late. Many off the players look as though they were playing for a move after owner Dave Whelan declared they were all 'up for sale.' The DW was once again sold out for the second week in a row to give the latics and Benitez who despite only an 11% win rate, has already become a cult hero. The question for the latics now is who can they get in to lead the charge back to the Premier League and who can they sign to help that push?

images

So the Premier League Season has drawn to an end.....
Final Standings

Awards

Player Of The Year - Sergio Aguero
Young Player Of The year - Samir Nasri
Top Goalscorer - Luis Suarez
Manager Of The Year - Sir Alex Ferguson
Premier League XI Of The Year -
J.Hart
G.Johnson - - N.Vidic - - J.Olsson - - L.Baines
A.Valencia - - D.Silva - - S.Aguero - - J.Mata
F.Torres - - L.Suarez

Aside:
Ok, so that really didnt go to plan haha, was fun, but i honestly thought dropping in Rafa Benitez would save Wigan the issue now, and the help i need is this... for the story do i take...
A) Resign as Rafa and continue his career somewhere
B) Go down with Rafa still as manager
C) Or Rafa moves on from the intrim manager, and the story becomes purley Wigan so I hire a new manager, he can be sacked and i become another etc. instead of one managers career path its a Club story with different manager personalities.

I never really liked Rafa so i say option C. Stick with Wigan with another manager and bring them to the premiership!

Thanks Tobe that means alot, hes doing ok i imagine he will be the only remaining player from the premier league and i will build a team around him as thats what i imagine they'd do in real life :) will have a read now, also anyone any ideas for who to take over?

mirrorfrontpage.png

Wigan Blooper As Shortlist Discoverd !!

Dave Whelan was today left seething as his shortlist (well what he calls short) Was uncovered exclusively by the Mirror: The list is a combination of bright young managers and older, wiser heads. It is suggested that once again Whelan will be influenced by the fans in will take local polls into account, but the final decision will be his and his alone.

Shortlist:
Ian Holloway
Malky Mackay
Graeme Souness
Glen Hoddle
Jamie Redknapp
Guus Poyet
Paulo Di Canio
Billy Davies
Lee Clark
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
Karl Robinson

It is not Known whether or not the list is depicted by lead candidate down, or just a collection of names, what it does do is give clubs who currently employ managers the upper hand in negotitations with Wigan ..... stick with themirror.co.uk as the story develops...

Solkjaer is a good shout. What about Roy Keane

So your going to just follow Wigan now? I think you should follow them and Rafas managerial adventure

will leave it for another couple of hours for the manager :p, well the 'real' rafa Benitez has just gone to England so i'll keep tabs on him (Y)

Holloway Emerges As Job Front Runner For Wigan Job
article-1324990-0BA03E39000005DC-565_634x663.jpg

Football favourite Ian Holloway has emerged as the front runner for the Wigan Athletic job today, it is thought Holloways highly offensive philosophy and eye for a bargain has drawn the owner Dave Whelans eye to look at the seasider. Despite Wigan's interest many in the game believe Holloway will stick with Blackpool where he has formed such a strong emotional bond. Other front runners include Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Malky Mackay.

i have downloaded this and have waited till their is 6 games left and have taken over as bolton...as they are 19th