The Fight For Survival - Wigan Athletic

Just completed pre-season with the new manager and will get as many updates as possible in tomorrow

Goood goood, look foward to it mate.

Holloway: Opporunity too good to turn down!
Ian Holloway confirmed as Wigan Athletic Manager
Ian-Holloway-007.jpg

Ian Holloway was today confirmed as Roberto Martinez's succesor at the DW stadium, with the clear brief of shooting Wigan back to the premier league, in a brief statement on the latics website owner Dave Whelan stated, 'Olly was the standout candidate, with fantastic credentials, we not only want to fire ourselves back into the premier league but we want to play exciting expansive football focused around young british players.' The statements clearly points to a large transition with Holloway joining a squad that Whelan confirmed would be 'vastly different' to that which ended the season, 'we have accepted a large number of offers on nearly all the current squad, the managers interviewed were told this and i confirmed to them they would have the entire amount raised in sales to produce their own squad and shoot us to the premier league.'
In a brief statement on his own website Holloway said, 'I'm delighted to be at Wigan, they may not get the largest crowd but they are fiercly loyal, It has broken my heart to leave Blackpool i love it there and one day i will return, but this opportunity was massive to rebuild a club and jump straight into the Premier League was too good to turn down.'
Whelan has confirmed that there will be no press conference for Holloway just yet as he looks to take every opportunity to bring in new players, and that a statement would be released at the end of the week with all the comings and goings within the club, Holloway also added that 'I have been told i can bring in my entire staff of my choosing, the staff at Wigan are all out of contract and this opens up around 6 spaces to bring in my own team.'

Aside: For thos interested in anything related to Wigan or football in the north-west i free lance for the Mirror and the Guardian on football transfer gossip and wigan matches, so follow me on twitter @OJAllsports and my blog http://viewsofasportsfan.wordpress.com

And with this story, i got carried away and have played the full season :L so will try and update all the matches tonight with as much detail as possible as im kean to get the next one under way

Last edited:
Wigan Confirm Squad Overhaul For August

Things have been moving at a ferocious pace at the DW stadium this summer, and the club has today issued a press release with all the comings and goings. ‘Manager Ian Holloway has said he was delighted with the squad that is currently assembled.’ And that ‘there will be a lot more transfers, but they are all in the interest of the clubs long term future, based around youthful experience of British talent and some fantastic continental leadership.’

Transfers In;

ec49a3fa-a4ac-4a10-bd98-f8d55a598491.634358974032362990.jpg

Wilfried Zaha – Crystal Palace 1.8m
Peter Whittingham – Cardiff 2.8m
Robbie keane – Free
David Goodwillie – Blackburn – Ln550k
Aaron Gunnarsson – Cardiff - 1.7m
Johan Martial – Stade Brestois 29 – 3.6m
Matthew Connolly – QPR – 1m
Gary Gardner – Aston Villa – Loan
Joe Lewis – Peterborough – free
Danny Guthrie – Newcastle – Free

Transfers Out:

Hugo-Rodallega.jpg

Ali Al Habsi – Man City – 4m
James McArthur – Hull – 2.8m
Jordi Gomez – Southampton – 875k
Victor Moses – Sunderland – 4.8m
Mohammed Diame – Lyon – Free
Antolin Alcarez – Levante – 2.4m
Steven Gohuri – Cataina – 1.6m
Hugo Rodallega – Villarreal - 3.6m
Piscu – Parma – 1.8m
Ronnie Stam – Porto – 2.7m
Albert Crusat – Real Sociedad – 2.4m
Florin Soava – Feynoord – Free
David Jones – Celtic – Free

The list is expected to grow further over the next month, as Holloway looks to stamp his authority on the squad. As he looks for his 2nd​ promotion in 3 seasons.

Succesful Pre-Season Shows What Holloways Wigan Will Be All About, Goals, Goals, Goals (and a few clean sheets)

Republic-of-Irelands-Robb-001.jpg

A fantastic pre-season for Wigan has drawn to a close today, untroubled by big egos and a 'fantastic team building summer,' as Ian Holloway put it, an unbeaten campaign that baired fruit to 11 goals and two clean sheets.
Wigan 3-3 Tottenham Reserves
Torquay 2-2 Wigan
Tamworth 0-3 Wigan
York 0-3 Wigan

Holloways resounding message before the start of the season to latics fans was published on the website today, 'get behind the lads, home and away, we're bringing in a lot of fresh faces this week before the trip to Millwall, and we hope to excite you on our way back to the premiership.' Holloways confidence led to a poll on the website where 82% of fans agreed that they would fire themselves straight back into Englands top flight. Ollie also confirmed speculation in the Wigan Chronicle that if promotion wasnt achieved he would lose his job, 'you'know ive been given a brief which is clear and which everyone knows, i expect it, the fans expect it, the players expect it and so does the owner, its not like i dont know it haha, so obviously if i dont meet it i wont last five seconds.' The opening day of the season sees Holloways men head South to London to the Lions den where three points and a good performance could start to ease pressure.

And with this story, i got carried away and have played the full season :L so will try and update all the matches tonight with as much detail as possible as im kean to get the next one under way

LOL Sooo glad Holloway got the job

the_football_league_show-motd2u.blogspot.com.jpg

Richard Scudamore lauds Wigan as the 'perfect' club
Richard-Scudamore-001.jpg

Richard scudamore has branded Wigan Athletic as the best run club in the football league, and the Premier League chief has stated he 'hopes' they get an instant return to the top flight. Appearing on the Football League Show Scudamore stated that the way Whelan had run things was 'against the climate,' and 'perfect' for football. 'The way Wigan have run the club is fantastic, the ran it within their means and now they drop into the championship with a £10m budget blowing the others out of the water, this has allowed them to manipulate the squad the way they've wanted with their obvious emphasis on youth, they spend what they can and now have a huge pot of gold to get themselves up, i can only encourage others to follow their model and not to leverage debts, spend wages they feel players earn. Theyve now left themselves in the strongest possible position, theyve 'lived the dream' without financialy bankrupting themselves, i can only hope for the sake of football that they get promoted and people follow suit, i requested their finance balance sheet of Dave Whelan to show to my 20 premier league outfits, he duely obliged and now the clubs predicted in the bottom half of the table seem to be getting their house in order, it really is in the best interest of the game.'

tvnr-2010-09-01-15h02m30s236.jpg

The Tale Of The Tape: Who's Favourite For Promotion....

In the third installment of our football league show special, we'll see who our experts Malky Mackay, Dave Jones and Paul Merson believe are the favourites for promotion and who their key men are in their respective bids for promotion.

Blackburn Rovers
200px-Blackburn_Rovers.svg.png

The Key Man
Blackburn-Swansea-Yakubu-goal-Premier-League+cropped

The Experts
With key names such as Rochina, Hoilett and N'Zonzi leaving for pastures new, the attacking emphasis falls on Yakubu, Blackburn havent been able to attack the market and have instead been selling a number of key players to keep afloat but one thing is crucial in the Npower Championship and thats a goal scorer with this in mind, Yakubu could just be the man who fires Blackburn up...

Predicition - 3rd - playoff winners

Wigan Athletic
220px-Wigan_Athletic.svg.png

Key Man
ian-holloway_1632751c.jpg

The Experts
Holloway has assembled a squad that should gain promotion, but this season will test his skills to the maximum, he is great at banding a group of players together, but usually against the odds, being favourites is a different prospect. This season will also test his all-out-attack tactics, if Holloway gets his man management and rotation right then Wigan will crusie back to the premier league in just one season ...

Prediction - 2nd

Reading
180px-Reading_FC.svg.png

Key Man
Reading-v-Bristol-City-Jason-Roberts-celeb_2709663.jpg

The Experts
In our opinion Jason Roberts is still a premier league calibre player, last season he looked very unfit, but Brian McDermott has put him on a special fitness regime and has wreaked the rewards pre-season with three hattricks in four games, if he remains fit he will be the clear spearhead for Readings promotion charge.

Prediction - 1st

Bolton Wanderers
images

Key Man
Fulham-Pajtim-Kasami+cropped

The Experts
Kasami is a loanee from Fulham who new manager Alex Mcleish has built his new look Bolton team around, Kasami has all the abilites to unlock defences whic he did so succesfuly in Serie A and at the Under 20 World cup, the championship should therfore present no challenge for this highly talented lad, I can see Bolton regrouping themselves too challenge this season, but just missing out in the play-offs.

prediction - 4th - playoff final loss

Huddersfield Town
Huddersfield+Town.gif

Key Man
rhodes_huddersfield.jpeg

The Experts
Huddersfield have been able to hold onto Rhodes despite big money offers from Wigan, the man who fired them up from league one clearly hads the talent to lead the line in a promotion challenge, Huddersfield can take great heart from the likes of Norwich and Southampton who have used promotion from League One to bounce straight to a successive promotion.

Precidition - 5th

Wigan Conclude Summer Business:
Wigan have confirmed today that there business for the summer was over, Wigan have spent big in their ambition to get back to the premier league, the money Wigan have spent has been reinvested into the squad, as Dave Whelan asked Ian Holloway to revitalize a stagnent squad and with a summer spending spree that has seen Wigan pick up alot of players from promotion rivals Blackburn the overall progress off Wigan points towards a very succesful season in the north-west.

679e7f56-84a1-4917-8ccb-f476d1edc4b4.634522102453769240.jpg

Trasnfers In:
Don Cowie - Cardiff - 950k
Enzo Maresca - Malaga - Free
George Elokobi - Wolves - Ln325k
Jamie Mackie - QPR - LN125k
Ross McCormack - leeds - 1.2m
Grant hanley - Blackburn - 3.2m
Conor Wickham - Sunderland - Loan
Gunnar Nielson - Free
Zeli Ismail - Wolves - loan
Augusto Fernandez- Velez - 2.8m
Jason Lowe - Blackburn - 3.9m
Akos Buzsaky - QPR - 235k
javier Flano - Elche - LN265k
Sylvain Ebanks-Blake - Wolves - LN325k

00disanto_1382557a.jpg

Transfers Out
Mauro Boselli - Bologna - 3.2m
Nouha Dicko - Ipswich - 825k
Shaun Maloney - Hull - 934k
Franck Grandel - FC Twente - Free
Benjamin Pseunme - Atlanta -775k
Franco Di Santo - Fiorentina - 4m

Wigan Show Exactly What They'll Be About This Season With Dominating Win

Millwall 0-3 Wigan
Fernandez (9) Whittingham (41) Lowe (46)
2819026542-31122011152028.jpg

A fantastic start to the season for Wigan with an emphatic win away at Millwall. Ian Holloway called it the 'perfect performance,' 'we just need 45 more them dont we and we are home and dry.' Holloway is sure to be delighted with all three new signings getting on the score sheet.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

carlingcup.jpg

Burton 0-2 Wigan
Keane (12,62) 82 penalty miss
robbie-keane.jpg

Last edited:
Wigan Continue Good Form To The End Of August

Wigan 4-4 Barnsley
Guthrie (23) Zaha (40) Goodwillie (53) lowe (86), Valencia (5) Cotterill (13) Butterfield(17) Gray (pen 89)
Wilfried-Zaha-1-COS.jpg

An unbelievable performance that saw is fight back from three down to 4-3 up, throwing it away really angered me, but thus is the nature of my football.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Notts Forest 1-1 Wigan
Harewood (pen 16) O'Conner missed pen(13), Goodwillie (82)
Marlon-Harewood--007.jpg

A game that really, really frustrated me, the youthful exuprance of Hanley and Martial at the heart of my defence has gifted three penalties in two games and cost us six points, to this end Gary Caldwell will come into to partner one of the two, who will audition over the next few weeks for the 2nd Centre Half position.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wigan 2-1 Leicester
McCarthy (25) Martial (81) , King (3)
b6118241-b656-4b0e-8061-9885d6b915b6.634401259982362990.jpg

I loved this performance, full of flair and the players showed heart and desire coming from an early goal down, keeping James was someone Mr.Whelan insisted on keeping, he wants him to grow into our own Steven Gerrard, our 'Mr' Wigan.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

images

Sheffield Wednesday 1-0 Wigan
Munyaneza (46)
1204142101.jpg

Holloway Brands players 'plonkers' In Carling Cup exit!

106807999_crop_650x440.jpg

Outspoken Wigan manager Ian Holloway has branded his own players as 'plonkers' for crashing out of the Carling Cup in the third round, 'championship clubs have a real chance in this tournemant these days, for not grasping the opportunity and being complacent i think they're complete idiots, but it gives them a chance to push on in the league i guess.' A statement issued by club captain Maynor Figueroa through the PFA stating, 'the comments are unhelpful but we all know what ollie is like and we take it with a pinch of salt.'

Last edited:
Whelan: Get Me Promotion And I'll Make You All Millionaires!
article-0-0087D885000004B0-126_468x340.jpg

In an interview with Radio 5 Live, Wigan owner Dave Whelan has promised to make all his players millionaires if they get the club back in the top flight, 'What will i do?' When asked by Mark Chapman how would he celebrate if they got back to the Premiership, 'i'd make all the players Millionaires, through bonus' and contracts, or pay for their summer holidays, and thats a guarentee, if they get us up we sign barley any players and they all get contracts that make them multi millionaires.' and for the Gaffer? Chapman asked, 'Well Ian can have the choice of my daughters haha.' 'No, i'll pay for him and his wife to go away somewhere special for a couple of weeks.'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wigan Roll On Through September Crushing All In Sight

Blackpool 0-2 Wigan
Eardly (pen miss 28) , Cowie (15) McCarthy (54)
108843347_display_image.jpg

An emotional return to Bloomfield Road for me, but i recieved a resounding applause from both sets of fans, i refeused to celebrate for both goals but im sure Wigan know my passion for the club and that it's just respect for Blackpool.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wigan 3-1 Middlesborough
Connolly (34) Goodwillie (36) McCormack (78) , McDonald (77) Thomson Red Card (72)
3881841833.jpg

A dominating performance from a side now oozing confidence, Goodwillie is coming into his own, im continuing my high pressure 4-3-3 that has been such a success at Blackpool, Meresca is showing a real lack of pace which is costing us so either Lowe or McCarthy will be moved into the 'Busquets' role.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brighton 1-4 Wigan
Todorov (9) , Fernandez (56) Goodwillie (60,64, 90+4)

13419865.JPG

Another positive performance that led to 29 shots, we wern't clinical enough in the first half, but come the 2nd and Goodwillie came into his own as did Wilfired Zaha with three assists, so far he is far and away the player of the season at our club, and possibly in the league.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wigan 1-0 Bristol City
Connolly (19)
Queens+Park+Rangers+v+West+Bromwich+Albion+NqKs86ifX2hl.jpg

A powerful and guttsy performance more about getting through the game than class and fluidity, one bit of class a corner from Peter Whittingham decided the game. I tried pairing Matthew Connolly at the back With Grant Hanley, and Connolly displayed great power and strength of the ball, and fantastic poise on it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Latics Great Run Thuds To And At Donny

Wigan 0-1 Doncaster
Bagayoko (49)

0,,10273~10506796,00.jpg

Wigan's fantastic run through september crashed to an end away at Doncaster Rovers, despite 73% possesion, After the game Ian Holloway labelled the Referee Mike Jones a 'Parasite' that had 'infiltrated the game' so far the FA haven't commented on the statement but owner Dave Whelan claimed he 'whole heartedly agreed, and would stand by his leading man.'

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wigan Rise To Second With Ten Games Gone

Huddersfield 1-2 Wigan
Ward (45+1) , Fernandez (47) Goodwillie (52)

1424998_full-lnd.jpg

Any victory versus promotion rivals is fantastic, it was perticularly nice top get one over on Jordan Rhodes and Alex Smithies who'd turned us down branding us a 'tiny' club in the national papers.

Last edited:
Wigan Face Three Games In Six Days

Watford 1-1 Wigan
Velikonja (82, Zaha (62) Danny Graham Red Card (24)
WV35-Maribor-v-Rangers.jpg

A difficult game playing over an hour with ten men, I'd set the lads a taregt of seven points from these three games here away at Watford, Home to Bolton and away at Charlton, gain six points and we'll be right in the driving seat at the top of the table.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wigan 0-0 Bolton
Bolton-Wanderers-v-Wigan--007.jpg

A hard fought battle, a top of the table clash which had we won would have put us two points clear at the top, this still leaves us in a good position and they're as good as we will face in the division. We will have to make sure that we win the return game at the Reebok.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Charlton 1-2 Wigan
Alonson (81) , Zaha (60) Whittingham (84)

peter-whittingham-913708749.jpg

A stunning free kick which won the game, the players showed fantastic heart once again. They seem to be able to dig deep and come back from the brink of defeat or from a draw.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's The Zaha Show!

Wigan 3-0 Sheffield Utd
Zaha (3, 31, 70)
wilfried-zaha-40988580.jpg

A scintilating performance that led to a 'perfect' hattrick from Wilfried. Head, left foot, right foot. A fantastic array of talent, this kid is special. He's gonna be a big big talent for years to come.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whelan: Zaha Could Be The Biggest Bargain Of All Time

wilfriedzahaliverpoollink.jpg

Dave Whelan has today claimed that his clubs capture of Wilfried Zaha from relegated Crystal Palace for the fee of just £1.8m could be the 'biggest bargain of all time.' 'I know that players like Messi and Gerrard have been brought through youth academies for free, but in terms of an actual transfer i think we have given our fans just the best bargain.' 'his talent is frightening, and we've already had contact of some big clubs looking to capture him. Honestly i wouldnt except anything under £30m at this present time.
Whelan's comments come in light of Zaha's perfect hattrick at home to Sheffield United and a superb start to the season from the young forward that has seen him become as short as 1-9 with some bookmakers for the Championship Young Player of the Year.

Battle Of Pride Park Sees Dramatic Finish

Derby 2-2 Wigan
Bakar (16) Maguire (45) Hanley (42) Lowe (83)

WiganCelebrateGoal600.jpg

A result that on paper is poor, but on the night Derby really turned up and out performed us in almost every department. If it wasnt for the sheer inspiration and driving force of jason Lower and james McCarthy in the middle this could have been a routs to the Rams.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holloway Claims Lowe Will Be Future England Skipper

jason-lowe-mexico.ashx

Ian Holloway has today stated that he believes his talismanic central midfielder and England under 20 star will one day captain the full national side. 'jason has all the qualities' he said on skysports' Goals on Sunday. Speaking to Chris Kamara and Ben Shepard, holloway claimed Lowe reminded him of a 'young steven gerrard.' 'he's a leader of people, and of men.' 'They get behind him, James is our skipper for now, but for me one day Jason will captain the country, he's just that good.'
Lowe has only recently moved to Wigan from Blackburn for a reported fee of £3.8m but his representitives are already knocking down the owners door in persuit of an increased contract.

0.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Portsmouth 0-1 Wigan
Varney (70)
Portsmouths-Luke-Varney-s-005.jpg

A poor game, we couldnt get a foothold in the game and was compounded by an injury to Jason Lowe which looks set to rule him out for five weeks with a broken rib.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wigan Reach Twenty Games With Four Wins

Wigan 2-1 Ipswich
Goodwillie (12) Hanley (24) , Scotland (74)

article-2080999-0F4F48AB00000578-185_468x286.jpg

Nice to end a run of two games without a win. Not a convincing win by any stretch of the imagination, but its three points none the less.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peterborough 1-2 Wigan
Joe Lewis OG (78) , Hanley (8) Zaha (20)
157520hp2.jpg

A methodical performance. We bagged ourselves an early lead and earnt the right to play in this game. We simply controlled it without too many scares, they only got their names on the score sheet with a mix up between Hanley and Lewis.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wigan 4-0 Reading
Cowie (10) Goodwillie (35, 47) Wickham (45)
Connor-Wickham.jpg

A simply astonishing win. A performance beffiting of Barcelona. Phenominal pressure up the field, and when in possesion we were absolutley devastating. My highlight was seeing Wickham score as it means we have a triumphret of good goalscorers in Zaha, Goodwillie and now Wickham. The low point of anotherwise great day was an injury to Goodwillie but it looks like he may miss just one game.

So Twenty games in and we're looking good for the promotion that we have paid to get:

Wigan Continue To Impress As Run Goes On

Hull 0-1 Wigan
Zaha (29)
Zaha_2485026.jpg

A really strong performance. Wilfried tormented the two centre halfs in Goodwillie's abscense. Popping up on the left, right and in behind the back two. The talent hes showing at this early stage of the season is quite staggering.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Latics Run Comes To An Abrupt End

Wigan 0-3 Birmingham
Caldwell (35) Connolly (OG, 69) Rooney (74)
Adam-Rooney-celebrates111515Rbg.jpg

A difficult defeat to take at home. Players wernt good enough, end off. January is coming up, and despite our great run we need to continue to strengthen. Too many misplaced passes in the centre of the park. I made the players march the pitch at the final whistle, thanking the fans.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top Of The Table Clash Makes For Classic Viewing

Blackburn 2-1 Wigan
Jerome (41,51) McCarthy (60)
blackburn-rovers.jpg

I'm furious i'd built this game up to the players and demanded the win. The effort wasnt all there from all the lads. had we won this six pointer we'd have gone seven clear.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barnsley 2-2 Wigan
Koita (3) Cotterill (45+1) Wickham (4) Zaha (17)
2754834416.jpg

We're struggling to stop the rot, the all-out-attack style is struggling against the teams beneath us in the table. it has to be due to complacency, how can teenage lads get complacent with the promise of millions at the end of the season?