The Football Managing Mercenary

• Thread starter Thread starter DerbyJack
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 355
  • Views Views 210K
I started my own "starting from scratch" save and guess who hired me in November! Guiseley! Wonder who will get fired first haha :D

Twardzik used to be a good prospect a couple of years ago.. Could do well for you!

Good to see you back with a new story and facing some familiar issues. Sure you will turn it around!

Do you have a pic of your starting line up ?
Doing my own Mercenary. Got hired at Wrexham, missed the playoffs with a point, and lost the FA Tropy on penalties :-(
Got a new 1 year contract :-)

Seeing this return for this year has made my day - I look forward to many days pretending to work while reading this story instead!

Good luck Ibawik, I wouldn't fancy my odds to be honest!

He sure looks like he could once have been a handy player given his history but its certainly not gone to plan for him so far.

Cheers Neavie Pops! Fingers crossed!

I should have one athomash but I'm rather forgetful. I'll get one for next season. Good luck fellow money grabber!

Thanks Battman!

Thanks alot naterr. As a fellow FM Base work lurker, its a pleasure to keep you hard at work!

January 2017

Jan17-z.png

1st January 2017
Vanarama National league

Jan17-a.png

Second place Lincoln are the first in a jam packed start to the year and the title chasing Imps show the gulf in class between the two sides as they stroll to victory courtesy of their pacey forward, Theo Robinson. The disappointing result is made worse following a crunching injury to our already goal-shy striker, Jordan Preston...

Jan17-1st_1.png

4th January 2017
Vanarama National League

Jan17-b.png

The Imps go top of the table as they make it two wins, in two games with a second half attacking showcase. With the Lions once again failing to put up a fight against the leagues high flyers we've piled the pressure on for the remainder of the season already. Joy.

7th January 2017
Vanarama National League

Jan17-c.png

The rampant pace of games keep on coming with a crucial relegation six pointer. With the boys brushed aside with ease in the previous two games, they one again slip up with a cruel late goal and yet another demoralizing defeat building the pressure from an increasingly impatient home crowd.

17th January 2017
FA Trophy - 2nd Round
FAT16-b.png

Despite our league form seemingly in free-fall the boys pull out the stops to continue our impressive progress in the FA Trophy as a hat-trick scoring Cassidy manages to keep Wrexham at bay to at least give the fans some belated cheer for the new year.

21st January 2017
Vanarama National League
Jan17-d.png

It seems his cup heroics have inspired our Welsh hit-man as another hat-trick see's us pick up a much needed and convincing victory over a struggling Macclesfield. The impressive victory on the road finally saw the boys raise their heads as we look to claw our way out of trouble.

28th January 2017
Vanarama National League

Jan17-e.png

The clubs leading goalscorer is at it again as he helps the club towards what could prove to be a valuable points against a Sutton side looking to secure their place in the playoff spots. Despite the Welsh-mans recent heroics it was some rarely seen stalwart defending that saw the club cling on to a point.

31st January 2017
Vanarama National League
Jan17-f.png

Having pipped them to the post in the FA Trophy, we sneak past Wrexham once more, with the referee lending a massive helping hand with a red card after just ten minutes. Despite repaying Wrexham with a soft penalty, our advantage eventually saw us claim all the points.

January 2017
Vanarama National League
Jan17.png

With the boys turning our form around late into the month we find ourselves leaving a sorry Solihull Moors for dead as we look to try and cling on to the slim hope of breaking out of the relegation zone with just a handful of games remaining. We're not out of this yet!

Nice to see you donate 6 points to Lincoln! Seriously though, good luck, the VNL is a rough league.

You'll be pleased to know that they look set for an impressive promotion too Godfish! It certainly is, I'm struggling already.​

February 2017

Feb17-z.png

4th February 2017
FA Trophy - 3rd Round

FAT16-c.png

The FA Trophy is back on the horizon as two of the leagues strugglers go toe to toe in an attempt at salvaging some pride from an otherwise disappointing season. With neither side willing to let a chance of silverware slip away, we are forced to settle for a scrappy one goal draw.

8th February 2017
FA Trophy - 3rd Round Replay

FAT16-d.png

In what was a rather unwanted replay, the boys put Bromley to the sword with style as they eventually romp to victory and into the next round of the competition with a dominant display over our fellow relegation scrappers. Hopefully the emphatic result is a sign for the rest of the month...

11th February 2017
Vanarama National League

Feb17-a.png

...Apparently not. Just three days later the club's cup heroics are soon forgotten as we are narrowly beaten by Eastleigh. With the games coming thick and fast, the boys are going to need to find a cutting edge fast if we are to stand any chance of maintain our National league status.

18th February 2017
Vanarama National League

Feb17-b.png

Despite having a week to grab some much needed rest the boys are unable to get up to speed as they are brushed off by a strong Dagenham and Redbridge. A late Hatfield goal gave us a slim hope of snatching an important point but a determined home side held us off until the final whistle.

21st February 2017
Vanarama National League

Feb17-c.png

A massively important victory has us ****** an important victory over North Ferriby, with the boys pulling off a much needed performance against the club just narrowly ahead of us in the standings. With such an emphatic result in the relegation six-pointer, the hope of a great escape floods back through Guiseley.

25th February 2017
FA Trophy - 4th Round

FAT16-e.png

Our FA Trophy hopes are quickly snuffed out by a promotion chasing Aldershot. The table toppers are in a fierce battle with Lincoln in the race for the Football League but it seems The Shots are keen to ****** all the silverware on their way out as they cruise into the next stage of the competition.

28th February 2017
Vanarama National League

Feb17-d.png

The result might not quite have got the home crowd excited but a goal-less draw with a strong Barrow side certainly wasn't to be shrugged at, as the defence pull off two back to back clean sheets in the league to keep us picking up the much need points for our growing tally.

February 2017
Vanarama National League

Feb17.png

A busy month of football didn't see us make any progress up the standings but we edge ever closer to overtaking a free-falling Braintree and now sit just two victories away from the much craved safety that Macclesfield currently cling on to. The race is most certainly heating up

Ayyy, it will be an interesting end of a season. For sure!

Things are slowly starting to turn and hopefully the upturn will continue and you'll secure league survival.

Oh yes, this is back :) Good luck with saving these poor souls, and onwards to the big money :)

Good to see this back, I read your FM16 story with great interest.

Best of luck getting out of the relegation zone, but I don't enjoy seeing Solihull Moors down there.

A nervy one for sure Iwabik!

Cheers Neavie Pops, fingers are firmly crossed.

Thanks cbrood, I'm not sure I'm the man to save anyone!

Thanks alot Jack, Its probably best to pretend they're not down there from now on. I'm not going to...it doesn't get better.

March 2017

Mar17-z.png

4th March 2017
Vanarama National League

Mar17-a.png

We might be within just one solitary point of finally catching a club in the league but with results like this its going to take a while before we actually claw our way out of the drop zone. A second half collapse see's Torquay claim revenge for my debut victory and increases the pressure at the bottom.

14th March 2017
Vanarama National League

Mar17-b.png

Having just been humbled by Torquay the boys have a complete turn around as they sneak a victory over a table topping Aldershot. With the Shots looking odds on for both the title and FA trophy the one goal victory at Nethermoor Park was certainly a turn up for the books but it didn't come without a cost...

Mar17-8th.png

18th March 2017
Vanarama National League

Mar17-c.png

Having smashed home the winner against Aldershot, Hatfield repeats the feat as the central midfielder tucks home another fine effort to make it back to back victories for the Lions with the rest of the relegation candidates now nervously eyeing our desperate efforts to escape.

21st March 2017
Vanarama National League

Mar17-d.png

As it turns out they need not bother as we are soon thrown back into peril following a horrendous trip up north to mid-table Gateshead. The short journey back following the game was made to feel extremely long on the back of a horrific four goal thrashing. The Vanarma North is beckoning us in with open arms.

25th March 2017
Vanarama National league

Mar17-e.png

Having given us some genuine hope with his fine scoring in the middle of the month, the in-form Hatfield is back to his best as he nets a late winner to see us narrowly overcome Dover. The lower leagues can wait. The Great Escape is back on and with one month to go. Drama.

March 2017
Vanarama National League

Mar17.png

So close. With just one month and six games of football remaining, The Lions have finally broken free of their position just above the bottom and now sit within just one solitary point of capping an impressive turn-around in form, saving their league status and probably my fledgling career at the same time.

April 2017

Apr17-z.png

1st April 2017
Vanarama National League

Apr17-a.png

Fallen football league side, Southport get our run in started in the worst of fashions as an early goal immediately sets us off on the back foot. With the boys unable to find a way back into the game our chance of making an early escape are already vanishing fast.

7th April 2017
Vanarama National League

Apr17-b.png

The next game doesn't prove to be much better as the club is taught a strong lesson in why it is important to finish off the opposition as ten man Forest Green surprise us at the end to score an equaliser against the run of play. One solitary point at least gives us some comfort.

14th April 2017
Vanarama National League

Apr17-c.png

That solitary point is soon forgotten as the club is pushed back down into trouble with a weak defeat against fellow strugglers Braintree. In a massive relegation six-pointer we failed to match up to their desire to stay in the league as our late efforts were easily brushed aside by an ecstatic Braintree squad.

17th April 2017
Vanarama National League

Apr17-d.png

With our backs against the wall, the boys come out swinging. Arguably the biggest club in the competition, Tranmere have had a season to forget as they look to return to the Football League and a neat Cassidy brace soon added to their woes. We're not out of this just yet...

22nd April 2017
Vanarama National League

Apr17-e.png

...Okay maybe we're out of it. Another chance to put three points over a struggling side is wasted as Hatfield's first-half goal is snuffed out by a determined Bromley as they look to cement their place in the league before the finale of the season. With just ninety minutes to save it all, things are looking bleak...

Apr170_1.png

29th April 2017
Vanarama National League

Apr17-f.png

With the remotest of chances of surviving in the league, we did just about enough to keep in our name in the running with a narrow victory over the leagues whipping boys Solihull Moors. With our result in the bag we could only sit back and pray to the footballing gods for some much needed mercy...

April 2017
Vanarama National League
Apr17.png

There is a god!

To be honest our miraculous escape had more to do with the fixture schedule then fate as our clash against bottom of the table Solihull, conicides with Braintrees clash against League Two bound Aldershot. With the Shots doing us the biggest of favors and Macclesfield unable to take advantage, the bewildered squad finds itself pulling off the narrowest of escapes in dramatic fashion.

A single goal! Impressive escape, hopefully you can build on that

I knew you'd do it all along ;) but seriously good work saving them DJ!

Holly f**k. One goal. Nicely done!

And some extra motivation for me to save Guiseley as well!

Last edited:
Back