The Football Managing Mercenary

• Thread starter Thread starter DerbyJack
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 355
  • Views Views 210K
Uff, I survived first season. I secured league survival in last game (before kickoff I was 2 point behind safe zone). I hate it and I love it in the same time.

**** of a journey! My LLM has gone ok, but god its just a constant fight to get anyone interested! Good luck

I do it by using the staff search area and sorting by contract and current wage. Its important to filter out any players as it will show anyone who is still a player considering being a manager. Also need to turn off any Assistant manager filters.

Good job Iwabik, glad to hear I'm not alone in my struggles in the depths of English football!

Cheers Raar. Blackmail and a good deal of good fortune should speed up the process.

August 2017

Aug17-z.png

5th August 2017
Vanarama National League

Aug17-a.png

The new season gets off to a horrendous start as we are humbled by Dagenham and Redbridge. The Daggers showed up our inexperienced defence with a deserved penalty before sealing the victory with a late goal despite the referees attempts at giving us a lifeline with a red card just seconds from the final whistle.

12th August 2017
Vanarama National League

Aug17-b.png

The poor start is soon forgotten as we romp to a well deserved victory against a strong Newport side. An opening header from one of the only experienced men on the field shot us into the lead thanks to Atkinsons salmon like leap but it was new-boy Robbie McDaid that stole the spotlight with his first for the club sealing the win.

15th August 2017
Vanarama National League

Aug17-c.png

The Northern Irish future star is at it again as he thumps us into a deserved lead against Wrexham. Unfortunately the fine effort did not pick up the points it deserved as Wrexham fought back just six minutes later to tie up the game before sitting deep to defend their solitary point.

19th August 2017
Vanarama National League

Aug17-d.png

He makes it three in three as any regrets over the departure of our former star striker Jake Cassidy are quickly forgotten on our way to a comfortable two goal win against a sloppy Southport. With the young striker in fine finishing form hope are already high that we might just be on for a season away from the relegation scrapheap.

26th August 2017
Vanarama National League

Aug17-e.png

..And those hopes are all but confirmed as we smash three goals past a sorry looking Woking with the inform and current leading goal scorer in the entire division Robbie McDaid leading the club to glory with a confident brace. The young striker has defied his young age and lack of game-time to take the league by storm.

28th August 2017
Vanarama National League

Aug17-f.png

The man of the moment rounds off an opening month to remember with another winning goal as we overcome ten-man Tranmere to slide our way towards the top of the table. With McDaid leading the club to a surprisingly large early points total we can already start dreaming off our play-off chances.

August 2017
Vanarama National League

Aug17.png

Despite our slow start the boys have announced their arrival on the scene with some displays that showcased their undoubted talent to their cautious supporters. With my teenage signings certainly making a big impact already, I can only hope those higher up have taken note of my not at all panicky transfer signings.

McDaid is on fire! Looks like you know what you're doing in the transfer market :P

McDaid is showing that age is just a number. Lets hope that:
a) his form continues
b) his "continued" form isn't noticed by "bigger" clubs.

He sure is Patrick. I wish that was true! How long till a new career sir?

Both points are very much at the front of my mind right now, especially with McDaid only on a part-time contract!

September 2017

Sep17-z.png

2nd September 2017
Vanarama National League

Sep17-f.png

Our superb start to the season is brought crashing back down to earth as we are shocked late on by a fortunate Barrow. With just a handful of minutes remaining on the club our young club foolishly switched off before the whistle with the older and much more experienced Barrow club stealing the points before the death.

9th September 2017
Vanarama National League

Sep17-b.png

These boys might be young but they are certainly learning their lessons quickly. Having thrown away points in the previous game before the final whistle we return the favor against constant stragglers Bromley with our Iranian attacking midfielder scoring his first of his career to set us back to winning ways.

12th September 2017
Vanarama National League

Sep17-g.png

This time by the time Will Hatfield bashed home a goal with the final kick of the game the damage had already been done with the squad coming back from behind to put Forest Green firmly in their place. Canadian play maker Doughty continues to impress with a goal to set us on our way with veterans Atkinson and Hatfield joining him on the score-sheet.

16th September 2017
Vanarama National League

Sep17-d.png

Run away leaders Eastleigh did an early number on us as they cruised into a two goal lead within just fifteen minutes with our key defender Atkinson showing his early frustration with a red card shortly after kick-off. To their credit the boys held off the impressively strong away side to limit our embarrassment to just two conceded goals.

30th September 2017
Vanarama National League

Sep17-e.png

Having knocked on the door for the entirety of the game, we where cruelly punished for our lack of cutting edge as a late penalty was fumbled around the box before eventually being bundled into the net by the unfortunate Parker with the youngster cruelly rewarded for his encouraging start to life with Guiseley.

September 2017
Vanarma National League

Sep17.png

Our stay in the play-off spots is a short one as we are knocked back down to the middle of the table. With the club only set to battle valiantly against relegation for the coming season, I would still be very glad for the season to end at this point. Avoiding relegation is most certainly a huge achievement for this little club in Yorkshire.

October 2017​

Oct17-z.png

3rd October 2017
Vanarama National League

Oct17-a.png

Navid Nasseri might not have found the back of the net in his first season but the Iranian attacking midfielder certainly knows how to find the back of the net when it matters. On the back of his winner against Bromley, a goal just three minutes from time salvaged a point against Sutton United in what was to prove to be a frustrating month.

7th October 2017
Vanarama National League

Oct17-b.png

A first half of horrors saw a promotion chasing Boreham Wood storm into a three goal lead without the Lions so much as making a solitary attempt on goal. With the boys rattled a small fight-back following the break at least gave the home crowd something to cheer about in an otherwise disappointing day at Nethermoor Park.

10th October 2017
Vanarama National League

Oct17-c.png

A goalless draw is hardly the most encouraging of fight backs following our thrashing at the hands of Boreham Wood but non the less a clean sheet and a strong defensive performance is enough for the boys to leave Chester with their heads held slightly higher then in the previous game.

14th October 2017
FA Cup - 4th Qualifying Round

FAC17-a.png

With the FA Cup coming around, the Lions are set for their one chance at making some real money this season. Unfortunately Barrow also had the same intentions. Our fellow Vanarama National side scored an early goal to book their place in the next round with a strong defensive performance dumping us from the competition at the first opportunity.

21st October 2017
Vanarama National League

Oct17-d.png

Back to league action and the club is once again forced to settle for a goal-less draw as they welcome the far travelling Dover to the heart of Yorkshire. The usually free scoring Robbie McDaid is growing increasingly frustrated as his goal-less streak goes into its tenth game. Perhaps the messiah has not quite risen just yet...

24th October 2017
Vanarama National League

Oct17-e.png

...On second thoughts. The result might not have been as planned but Robbie's second half consolation goal at least gave us a glimmer of hope that our Northern Irish prodigies earlier form was not just in flash in the pan. With hopes raised that McDaid might be ready to lead the club back to winning ways we head into the final game of the month full of hope...

28th October 2017
Vanarama National League

Oct17-f.png

...Well that didn't last long. Lowly Whitehawk are making a meal of their time in the Vanarama National League but still managed to frustrate the Lions not just with a clean sheet but with a bruising injury to the recently returned to form McDaid. The footballing gods can be cruel at times.

Oct17-28th.png

October 2017
Vanarama National League

Oct17.png

Despite not picking up a single point, our lead striker scoring just one goal in two months and now being forced on to the sideline for another couple, the club still somehow manages to cling on to its mid-table position slipping just one solitary place down the league. The dog-fight can wait.

November 2017

Nov17-z.png

11th November 2017
Vanarama National League

Nov17-a.png

Our win-less streak continues as we are once again punished for a sloppy first half of football. Our near neighbors left it until late in the first half to open the scoring but having doubled their lead just seconds before the whistle left us with a monumental up hill battle that proved to be to much, especially without our lead finisher on the pitch.

18th November 2017
Vanarama National League
Nov17-b.png

We are pushed towards nearly ten games without a win as former Football League side, Accrington Stanley pile on the misery with a well taken free-kick routine breaking the deadlock. With our young squad suddenly looking worrying fragile, the club was in desperate need of a turn around in fortunes.

21st November 2017
Vanarama National League
Nov17-f.png

Step forward Chelmsford. The Clarets sit rooted to the foot of the table and having gifted points generously to just about every opponent within the division, they soon followed suite handing us a much needed three points in a worryingly tight game in Essex courtesy of a neat finish from make-shift striker Josh Doughty.

25th November 2017
Vanarama National League

Nov17-d.png

The boys are unable to pick up back to back victories as our Australian vice-captain is sent to the stands despite the Lions dominating the majority of the game. With the team reduced down to ten men we could do little to force our way through some resilient Halifax defending without usual cutting edge.

28th November 2017
Vanarama National League

Nov17-g.png

With his Canadian counter-part Josh Doughty showcasing his skills, Navid Nasseri grabs the opportunity to keep his name in the running for a starting spot behind our lone striker as he bangs home an early goal to settle early nerves and help the club crawl towards its second away-day victory in a row.

November 2017
Vanarama National League
Nov17.png

Despite a much improved performance from the club we actually fall a place down the league this time around. Football is a funny old-game at times. With the season fast approaching the mid-way point the club can take huge pride in finding itself still locked in the safety of mid-table and comfortably away from the battle at the bottom.

Can't promise anything at this stage, not sure I can commit to one yet, and besides, I couldn't compete with this story!

Up and down form there but hopefully once McDaid is back you can start pushing for the playoffs :)

having followed all of your '16 story, the October run felt somewhat inevitable. Good to see you doing so well so soon though, and hopefully you'll be in the football league sooner rather than later - with, or more likely without, Guiseley!

11 matches without a single win, that's harsh! And yet, half way through and the table looks good!

Well Patrick I along with many others would welcome a return! Easily one of my favourite careers.

That is worryingly accurate Battman. At least its not going quite as poorly as my last attempt...yet. Thanks as always!

It certainly feels harsh Iwabik! The league is shaping up to be incredibly tight this time around.

On a sidenote, I'm off to Austria for a long weekend with the girlfriend. I'll hopefully see you all next week... provided she doesn't murder me by then.

December 2017

Dec17-z.png

5th December 2017
Vanarama National League

Dec17-a.png

Our short unbeaten streak of just three games is brought to a close as the boys crash face first into another disappointing spell of win-less football. Having been forced onto the back foot throughout the majority of the game courtesy of some exciting Maidstone football the boys could do little to get back into the game despite Doughty's consolation goal.

9th December 2017
FA Trophy - 1st Round

FAT17-z.png

Despite the leagues form being decidedly poor, I can at least take some comfort in our FA Trophy progress. A typical Will Hatfield thunderbolt sent the club on its way to the second round of the competition with Accrington's efforts only rewarding them with a second half red-card a messy exit from the competition.

16th December 2017
Vanarama National League

Dec17-b.png

We make a return to league action and the much needed re-appearance of lead striker Robbie McDaid helps the club to salvage a draw against a hard-hitting Newport. With our Northern Irish forward making an early return from his injury he was limited to only one half of football but still managed to find the back of the net with ease.

23rd December 2017
Vanarama National League

Dec17-c.png

The club nearly manages to cling on for another draw but are undone with the final kick of the game as some tired legs and some even scrappier defending see's Dagenham and Redbridge end the match on an almighty high as they manage to bundle in a poorly worked goal to disappoint the entire home crowd.

26th December 2017
Vanarama National League

Dec17-d.png

The boys complete the job after a short Christmas break as they keep Wrexham frustrated for an entire ninety minutes to claim a point and continue to showcase a rather worrying lack on intent to claim the victory. Despite the disappointing result the Guiseley faithful are relieved just to see the club claim a solitary point.

30th December 2017
Vanarama National League

Dec17-e.png

The fans emotions are once again toyed with as a shocking end to the year is capped off by another late goal stealing away the points. Having dominated the majority of the game, the ever reliable Will Hatfield tucked home a well earned opener but the clubs dominance was undone following a Southport goal with just seconds remaining.

December 2017
Vanarama National League

Dec17.png

Another poor showing from the club finally has us spiral down the table as we now linger just shy of the dog-fight towards the foot of the league. With half the season done and dusted, a new year fast approaching and the club in dire need of a turn around in form we can only hope January ends our disappointing run.

I'm little late but JÄÄÄÄÄSSSKKKEEELÄIINEEENN!!!!! (I'm from Finland) I'm not so sure are you doing good or bad job but still enjoying this story! Keep it up! And you will get points from me if you keep signings finnish players! ;)

You can still turn this aroud, don't give up. How far are the playoffs?

I am back from Austria! Sorry for the delay!

Cheers Nnicod. I actually love Finnish players. Do you know anything about Alex Bradley by the way? Always good to snap up a Scandinavian!

Thanks cbrood! Within reaching distance but I'm not holding out much hope to be honest!

January 2018

Jan18-z.png

1st January 2018
Vanarama National League

Jan18-a.png

No arrivals in the new year transfer window but who needs more signings when you have our Northern Irish sharpshooter in such fine form. Having been frustrated on the sidelines as the club slid down the table, McDaid could not have returned soon enough as a second half brace secures a much needed three points for the Lions.

6th January 2018
Vanarama National League

Jan18-b.png

The boys continue their return to wining ways with a second half fight back against a strong Barrow side. Having been on the back foot for the majority of the game we finally burst into life within the final quarter of the game with our key striker Robbie McDaid leaving it until the final few seconds of the game to secure an impressive fight back.

13th January 2018
Vanarama National League

FAT17-b.png

Our final shot at a cup run comes to a bruising end as we are left frustrated by ten man Billericay. The club stranded at the foot of the English footballing league defied their lowly status to secure a place in the next round of the competition despite being reduced down to ten men early in the second half. Disappointing.

27th January 2018
Vanarama National League

Jan18-c.png

Back to the league and back to winning ways as we make it three Robbie McDaid inspired victories in a row. Having gone down to two early goals it seemed the club was about to head back to losing ways within the first ten minutes until our Northern Irish assassin unleashed his potential on Bromley snatching another late victory in style.

30th January 2018
Vanarama National League

Jan18-d.png

We round off a resurgent month with an encouraging draw over a plucky Eastleigh. Having once again conceded early, the boys struggled to find a way back into the match until Josh Doughty continued his season's impressive tally just before the break to give us a brief glimmer of hope. A backs to the wall job in the second half ensured a hard-earned point.

January 2018
Vanarama National League

Jan18.png

Having gone unbeaten for the entire month the club finds itself clawing its way back towards mid-table and more importantly away from the battle at the bottom of the table. With the season now drawing to a close the league is shaping up to be incredibly close. Any slip ups look set to be severely punished. Its brutal in the basement of English football.

Thanks again! Well at least that makes both of us. His name doesn't seem very...Finnish?

February 2018

Feb18-z.png

6th February 2018
Vanarama National League

Feb18-a.png

Our good year fortune comes to an end as we enter February with a disappointing defeat to a still struggling Tranmere. Having only just got used to their new found non-league status Tranmere showed that they are certainly not in the mood to waste anymore time with another three points helping them towards making a late playoff push.

10th February 2018
Vanarama National League

Feb18-b.png

Our poor fortune continues into the next game as we are once again undone by just the solitary goal as a strong Sutton United side ****** a goal just before the break and sit on their slender lead to see out the game and ****** up all three points. Perhaps the relegation battle shouldn't be forgotten quite so soon...

17th February 2018
Vanarama National League

Feb18-c.png

...Or maybe we can? With just a couple of months worth of football remaining, even this seemingly insignificant victory could have a huge affect. A two goal win see's us cruise past Forest Green with the boys dominating the entirety of the game. It seem's we are not going to end this season without doing our utmost to escape another relegation scrap.

24th February 2018
Vanarama National League

Feb18-d.png

The boys are unable to build on the back of their convincing victory in the previous game as they are held by a determined Newquay. With both teams eager to do all they can to secure the points neither side could break away from the other as they both eventually settled for a hard-earned point.

27th February 2018
Vanarama National League

Feb18-e.png

A disappointing game only burst into life within the final few minutes of the game as our Northern Irish striker, Robbie McDaid scored what seemed to be the winner with just six minutes remaining on the clock. Despite our late effort Boreham refused to let us leave with the points forcing a penalty and a late equalizer to send us home with a reluctant point.

February 2018
Vanarama National League

Feb18.png

A month of mixed fortunes predictably has the club slip down the table once more as the Lions now reside in fourteenth place in the league. Any hopes of a late run in for the play-offs have now long since vanished but at least we can take some solace in the fact that it would take one **** of an implosion to see the club enter the relegation dog-fight...even I would find that challenging.

I'm not surprised how this month did go for you :D I did fast google search about Alex and he has finland and england in his nationalitiy(y or e?)s. BTW could somebody do me favour and go to Everton U18 team and scout Miko Virtanen he should be in the game(I don't own FM17 before steam xmas sales)? Miko's move from TPV(it's small club but in finland respected club in youth players) to the Everton academy was somehow big thing in Finland 2-3 years ago like Sergei Eremenko's move to the Basel from FF Jaro now(Sadly his brother just did get caught usin cocaine "accidentally"). Sorry for long post :/

Yeah...nor was I. Thanks Nnicod, I think he must be English born but hes details are unknown! As for Miko Virtanen he is with Everton at the start of the game however in my career he is now with Vanarama North side, Salford. I somehow managed to miss his release. Looks like he could be pretty handy in the lower leagues. Let me know if you want a screenshot or anything.

March 2018

Mar18-z.png

3rd March 2018
Vanarama National League

Mar18-a.png

The penultimate month of the season has us get things underway in fine style as we cruise past Chester following a dominant display from the Lions. Robbie McDaids opening goal set the tone of the match after just six minutes with left midfielder Twardzik completing the victory with a goal mid-way through the second half.

10th March 2018
Vanarama National League

Mar18-b.png

Having gone down to two quickfire first-half goals it seemed the club was set for a convincing defeat but in an encouraging display of never say die football, the boys fired back in dramatic style making the most of a fortunate own-goal, with Canadian midfielder Josh Doughty capping an impressive fight-back.

17th March 2018
Vanarama National League

Mar18-c.png

A tight first half suggested we might have been in for another battling display but in a dominant second-half the boys tore into Gateshead, smashing home three goals as the clubs five man midfield ran rampant to solidify their hold on the points and send a warning message to the rest of the division as the club casts an eye ahead to next season.

20th March 2018
Vanarama National League

Mar18-d.png

Before we get ahead of ourselves there is the small matter of finishing this season. In a tight game against near rivals, York City, it took a rare goal from back-up striker Jordan Preston to break the deadlock. The young strikers fifth start of the season saw him finally give McDaid a brief moment of worry as his neat finish proves enough to seal another victory.

24th March 2018
Vanarama National League

Mar18-e.png

Now that was unexpected. A play-off chasing Accrington posed a mighty test for my resurgent young team but the in-form Lions seem to know no-bounds as they tore into the home side. Another dominant display from the entire midfield saw the club ease to my biggest victory to date as the teenage squad showcases its true potential in style.

30th March 2018
Vanarama National League

Mar18-f.png

Lowly Whitehawk started brightly as they looked to bring an end to our superb run of form but another solid display from the team and another good slice of fortune in the shape of our second own-goal of the month ensures the club ends the month still very much on the crest of a huge high.

March 2018
Vanarama National League

Mar18.png

What a month. The relegation dog-fight of last season and the narrow escape in the final match seem a world away as the club looks to settle itself in for a comfortable and highly respectable mid-table finish with just one month of football remaining. A superb showing from the club goes someway to justifying my teenage transfer signings.

Back