The great players who have ruined their career by moving clubs thread!

Was just thinking on FM and looking through reserves at how many great or promising talents that have halted their great careers to sit on a bench for a bit more money. It's such a shame that there's so many talents that have moved clubs and barely get a shout at their new clubs.

Players who used to be number 1 or a regular starter to playing every once in a while

I'll get the ball rolling with a few obvious ones I think..
zhirkov.jpg

Yuri Zhrkov - CSKA > Chelsea

Yossi_Benayoun1.jpg

Yossi Banayoun - Liverpool > Chelsea

player_65_roquesantacruz.jpg

Roque Santa Cruz - Blackburn > Man city (now erm back at Blackburn)

jo-signs-for-man-city.jpg

Jo, such a promising young talent.

james-milner1.jpg

Used to be number 1 for Aston Villa consistently

You must be absolutely an idiot! zhirkov and yoshi are injured and you think they wasted talent by moving?

GET A LIFE POOR ****!

Ohh....i forgot. Russian league is very competive and half of the goals he scored were penalties?
Yeah it is, 7th best in Europe. Players like Zhirkov, Arshavin, Krasic and Akinfeev must be **** then?

Standard Liege rather. The league here is much stronger than the pro league and at his age he was hardly a renowned name across Europe. I never fancied him, always thought he was gonna be another Voronin, thankfully he isn't THAT bad.

Would I be correct in thinking his natural position is as a striker aswell? Where he is yet to play for us. He'll be gone in the summer.

Yea, my bad, it was Standard :) He was star player for Standard and one of the best players in national team. He didnt get chance to play for L'pool and now he lost his "match fitness" and he lost his place in Serbia. I fancy you got just for backup ?
Well, he can play as striker and winger. Started his carrier as ST, moved due his speed to winger position, and in last season with Standard, he played as ST.

---------- Post added at 02:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:38 AM ----------

Why did he even left Barcelona? And only for 8 million.

I think Messi ( not really) had something with that. He ( Santos) was moaning about how Messi can play and he cant. So due lack of first football, he went to Spurs. Great carrier move XD

---------- Post added at 02:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 AM ----------

You must be absolutely an idiot! zhirkov and yoshi are injured and you think they wasted talent by moving?

GET A LIFE POOR ****!

Infracted much ?

Jo looks well good on that video

that blonde guy was good as well

Krasic or Vagner Love XD ?

Ohh....i forgot. Russian league is very competive and half of the goals he scored were penalties?

Have you seen his touch nowdays? He can't even pass the ball to his teammate.

He sucks...he could be decent somewhere in germany, spain or italy. Some small club there. But the guy was never a really big talent. I can't understand how the **** did we spend 19m years ago on him.

Look at his technique, speed and aerial power. He was talent. Now he is just a player who City ruined. He played like this on -15C. How many players would play like him on -15C ( and back then he was 19 yo). And btw, russian league aint bad at all ;). Theres many factor to prove this. CSKA Moscow > Dynamo Kiev > Man City.

Last edited:
Smite me down if you wish, but Thierry Henry. He was a hero at Arsenal, still is, my favourite player to date but he moved to Barca a few too year late when he was already slightly past his prime, this meant being a sub for a long time at Barca..maybe not always but certainly alot, and now hes playing soccer. Please Henry comeback!

Most definitely. Most Arsenal players, in fact: Henry, Vieira, Pires, Ljungberg, Reyes, Hleb, Lauren, possibly Gilberto. Cole is the exception.

As for me, Milner probably will if he hasn't already. Barry, too, fell off a cliff ability-wise when he joined City.

Infracted much ?
^This. Quoted post was childish and immature. If you can't communicate your opinions in an adult way, don't even try.

I find it hilarious reading all the Chelsea and City fans getting ultra defensive at their players being mentioned..!

keep it clean or get infracted

Ohh....i forgot. Russian league is very competive

Yes, Spartak Moscow destroyed Ajax in the Europa League and Rubin Kazan always give a good showing in the Champions League, they have beaten both Barcelona and Inter..

Jo did alright at Everton from what I was told by Everton fans, they wanted to sign him but his wage demands were to high.

van nistlerooy and huntlar to real the sweedish player thts at ac milan used to play for barca can spel his name soo.

Van Nistelrooy didnt ruin his career by moving to real he played amazing for 2 years

Yes, Spartak Moscow destroyed Ajax in the Europa League and Rubin Kazan always give a good showing in the Champions League, they have beaten both Barcelona and Inter..

Jo did alright at Everton from what I was told by Everton fans, they wanted to sign him but his wage demands were to high.

exactly jo wasnt bad when he was in everton TBH
he was a class player before he touched a Manchester City Shirt XD

yeah he had a fairly decent spell there

Michael Owen after he left liverpool
Giovani Dos Santos (used to be dubbed the new ronaldinho?)
Kewell (always on sidelines)
Hargreaves (always on sidelines)

Last edited:
Oh golly, were to start.
Owen, Jovanovic, Jo, Keane, Arron Davies, Benzema, Andy Reid, Mascherano, Babel, Alan Hutton, Milner, Kaka, Klaas Huntelaar, Kezman, Shevchenko, Chrygrinski, Woodgate, Shay Given, Santa Cruz, Hleb, Bentley,.

Michael Owen when he moved to real madrid...
Although thats good if somebody get out from madrid, he will be good again, like Van der Vaart, Sneijder, Robben...

Yer i take your point he didnt hit the hights at Chelsea but you cant say he is playing for Kiev now because it ruined his career. More than likely he was always going to finish his career at Kiev.

Naw I don't mean Kiev's a bad club, they knocked out City, and I've read a few books on Dinamo Kiev and Ukraine as a developing nation, so their process of attaining players is strange and effective, but he left the throne at Milan and though he admits he doesn't have distaste for Chelsea at all, he didn't excel like he was upheld to do so, which in any regards is a shame.

Mancini when at inter milan.

andry shevchenko when at chelsea.

---------- Post added at 04:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 AM ----------

Giovanni Dos Santos, had huge potential at Barca, did **** all with Spurs.

still the same at spurs, just that redaps didnt use him much

2jc7lna.jpg

Emiliano Insua, such a promising talent until stupid Hodgson wanted him out.