The Great San Marino Challenge & Discussion Thread

kandersson

Reaction score
So I realised this is a bit of a classic for a number of hardcore brokensjnf8ewhce8.com, and there are already a few people here on Base with their stories/challenges about their San Marino career (club, country, both and even more!)

The double San Marino Challenge is something I've always cherished since CM 2003-04 but I had never really tried to replicate that exhausting feat on FM until Ubernisation and his story (link will follow) inspired me again.

For those unfamiliar with San Marino football, the challenge consists in taking the club (which competes in the Italian leagues system) from serie C2 to international success, while also taking the national side (which is absolutely rubbish, below 200th in Fifa rankings) to a respectable level.

This is how things look at the start of the game

View attachment 123353 View attachment 123354 View attachment 123578 View attachment 123723

View attachment 123355 View attachment 123356 View attachment 123579 View attachment 123724

A key to improve the NT side is of course developing good academy/recruitment/training/youth facilities at the club, so in the years you will hopefully produce some decent local talent and drastically improve the atrocious standard of Sammarinese footballers.

But San Marino the club needs money to get things started and help San Marino the NT, and you're not getting any $$$ as long as you're stuck in the Italian lower leagues. So to get that vital cash from sponsorships and TV deals you'll need to reach Serie A asap, and stay there for good of course. From then on, sky is the limit for the Most Serene Republic of San Marino (that is actually the full official name)

I would like this thread to be more than a challenge, a sort of... base for all the brave San Marino managers around (I know you're out there!), yep the SM Base on FM Base. My own career is going strong (focusing on the club right now), I'm in... the future right now and quite happy with where I am, will post details of previous seasons in future posts.

Fellow SM managers, here's what I'd like to see from you:

- if you have your own san Marino story/challenge thread on FM-base just let me know and I'll post a link here on OP so it will be easier to find for those interested. Personally I would follow any other sammarinese experience!

- you have found a tactic that seems just perfect for San Marino (club or country), and maybe it's helping your international side achieving unlikely, respectable results? Share with your fellow Titani veterans.

- tell us about your best signings through your career. You have a striker from your time in C2 still on board in serie A, maybe your current captain (just saying...)? Post some screens of your cult players, squads, best 11 etc

- hopefully one day your youth academy, which is non-existent at the start of the game, will produce a promising (or at least decent) youngster, or maybe you will spot the one-in-a-lifetime foreign wonderkid with dual sammarinese nationality. Just post your best sammarinese regens

- any other question, idea or experience you want to share about your career with club and/or country are welcome.

Will start posting more details & screens about my own career in the next days, hopefully this thread will generate some interest.

Other San Marino Links (waiting for your own self-promotion here):

Ubernisation's thread, a great story which really inspired me to reprise this amazing journey on FM: The San Marino Double: Mark 2

Map of the Thread:

Introduction to Serie C: post 28

Season 2010/11 - Serie C2: post 46

Season 2011/12 - Sere C1: post 65

Approaching Serie B: post 91

Season 2012/13 - Serie B: post 112

Serie A Final Recommendations: post 140

Season 2013/14 - Serie A: post 164

Final Update: The Year Of Scudetto Season 2015/16 - Serie A & Champions League: post 196

Patch 11.3 restart Season 2010/11 - Serie C2 & National Team: post 236

"REMEMBER THE TITANI"

"SAN MARINES THE FEW THE PROUD"

Last edited:
Love it. This whole speech and Ubernisation's story inspired me to take up this challenge. And this thread will be my headquarter ;)

I was a san marino team on fm10. I can't remember what they were called, but I got them into the CL after a few seasons. I was using a custom DB tho, with the San Marino league on it ;)

How do u get to manage both club and country is it if u take the club job u gt both

Love it. This whole speech and Ubernisation's story inspired me to take up this challenge. And this thread will be my headquarter ;)

That's the spirit! Welcome aboard and good luck!

ive just started aswell, looking forward to this actually :)

I was a san marino team on fm10. I can't remember what they were called, but I got them into the CL after a few seasons. I was using a custom DB tho, with the San Marino league on it ;)

That's pretty hardcore too! There are a couple of guys managing San Marino club/country AND a club in the Sammarinese league (with another manager of course).

I guess that could help improving league/national reputation and eventually lead to better regens (though I'm not really sure...), but man that would be too much for my mind and body!

sometimes manage the national team, but good luck for all the participants :p

How do u get to manage both club and country is it if u take the club job u gt both

No they're two different sides. You must take control of the club first and then apply for the NT job. Or viceversa.

To have the NT available you need to load all players of San Marino nationality before starting a game.

I don't have the patience for this , might load one up though and just play now and again

I want to try this so wen i gt the club job when i apply for theNT job to i gt it for certain

dn how to i load all San Marino players

i would love to do this on a later save. how many seasons do people usually use to get the club to serie a and a decent level financially?

I want to try this so wen i gt the club job when i apply for theNT job to i gt it for certain

dn how to i load all San Marino players

when starting a game, select italy C2 and above. Then select database custom. From there select "add players of nationality" and select San Marino. This will make the NT available.

i would love to do this on a later save. how many seasons do people usually use to get the club to serie a and a decent level financially?

To get out of C2 and C1 in consecutive seasons is tough but doable, as the league level is quite low there.

Serie B is much harder, 22 teams (some of them almost serie A level), only 2 spots for direct promotion and still very little money from league and TV.

Financial stability will come only with serie A (and after one season I'd say), until then you have to hold on and maybe arrange hundreds of friendly matches in Oceania...

Good luck to everyone embracing the challenge, San Marines the few the proud!

Last edited:
mate i cant find how to go to custom database

mate i cant find how to go to custom database

It's really there to see, database size: small medium large custom. Select custom and well, customize.

Just the first obstacle of this amazingly tough challenge, not the hardest one I'm afraid...

I tried with the Italian San Marino Side, A San Marino league club and International team but that was too much hassle. Once i get bored of my current game I am going to try again with just the San Marino league and wait until I get the National job. Try and build it up like boozemonster is doing with the cook islands. I am all for lower league management with no transfer budgets and hidden attributes