The Great San Marino Challenge

I have just come across the best Sammarinese youth player to ever come through my setup! He has the potential to be good Serie A player, just hoping/praying that he gets capped for SM NT (I'm not NT manager).

View attachment 201442 View attachment 201443

Well he is good enough for The SM NT now so hopefully you give him a run of games and bam he gets NT capped before he is good enough for italy.

Straight A's !!

Okay, so the Titani started their first ever season in the Serie B with quite a few problems. The financial aspect of the club was a shambles so the wage budget remained the same as for the previous season and the manager was given no money for transfers. The action he took was to release a lo of players, a lot! The board then sold Mohammed Gulraiz to Atalanta for 600K and Fabricio Cancela for 120K to Novara.

View attachment 201510

Ferraro, Migani and Villanova had all been at the club for the previous 2 years but were now fully owned by the club. Alessio Grea was a good signing and was one of the more solid performers for the team. Daniel Bello was an inspired loan signing and performed well alongside Ferraro. I expected a lot from Praprotnik but he was a complete flop and had his loan terminated in January.

In the Italian Cup San Marino reached the First Round (Final 16).

Second Qualifying Round : San Marino 2 - 0 Grosseto (Own Goal, Nicastro)

Third Qualifying Round : Novara 1 - 3 San Marino (Scorza x2, Nicastro)

Then in the Fourth Qualifying Round I faced Atalanta away from home and didn't expect much!

View attachment 201512

Beautiful giant killing right there!

Serie B.

View attachment 201513

Way, way, way above any of my expectations. I still don't understand how that happened.

View attachment 201514

Funnily enough I really didn't have any star performer. Conti, Scorza and Ferrero were probably amongst the best. I'm however most pleased with the contribution Francesco Nicastro made, 11 goals and 10 assists, most of them at a vital moment, like in the Playoff final.

View attachment 201515

It's very very clear that I need to strengthen the team a whole lot if I'm to stand a chance of surviving the Serie A. However the first thing I'll do is to ask for better standards of junior coaching and maybe better youth facilities. I've already got one very decent talent, as well as a bunch of players who could become good Serie B players.

Last edited:
It's very very clear that I need to strengthen the team a whole lot if I'm to stand a chance of surviving the Serie A. However the first thing I'll do is to ask for better standards of junior coaching and maybe better youth facilities. I've already got one very decent talent, as well as a bunch of players who could become good Serie B players.

Well done mate. Serie A, you're going along just fine. How far in the red are you in regards to your finances? If your squad is unexpectedly in Serie A and you are destined for the drop, I recommend using any funds you do have in securing youth players. You'll have a season in Serie A and then hopefully a promotion season in Serie B back up and your players will have developed well. But that's only a suggestion. (This goes for everyone for the record.)

hello guys, just got back from my brief holiday and was amazed to see all your progress with the challenge. Well Done! I've finally started the game myself, first weeks of the season have been promising here are my debut matches with club & country:

View attachment 201521View attachment 201522

quite confident the club can dominate serie C2 easily, while the NT is going to be a nightmare as usual (teenage star Juri Biordi looks great though). Hope to catch those serie A guys soon! Also I've seen some of you guys have completed several of the extra achievements, I'll try to check those and add to OP but feel free to remind me here or with PM and maybe you'll make my life easier ;)

Now a couple of things. I didn't mention this in OP (will add asap though) as it seemed pretty obvious to me: do not use genie scout, FMRTE or any other editor. Not only this goes against the "philosophy" of this challenge, it simply makes it meaningless. Also do not manage more clubs at the same time, this will obviously give you an unfair advantage with transfers, scouting etc even if you have the best intentions. Of course this is your game and you can play the way you want, but please respect these simple rules if you want to join this particular challenge.

Nice start Kand, its seen Galraiz is the must have player for all in the thread it seems... ^_^

Is there any real benefit to taking the NT straight away? i decided not too, just wondered if its better to take them on or wait, for those who did the challenge last year?

I'm just into the start of my 2nd season.. and its going ace!

No two teams?? ****, might have to split this into two saves then, and i'd just managed a 7th place in the BSN with my FC United team as well... :p then again might start again i;m only a season in...

Last edited:
Nice start Kand, its seen Galraiz is the must have player for all in the thread it seems... ^_^

Is there any real benefit to taking the NT straight away? i decided not too, just wondered if its better to take them on or wait, for those who did the challenge last year?

I'm just into the start of my 2nd season.. and its going ace!

No two teams?? ****, might have to split this into two saves then, and i'd just managed a 7th place in the BSN with my FC United team as well... :p then again might start again i;m only a season in...

Main benefit of managing NT is getting spanked 0-6 by Moldova sigh. I like to start with both jobs though as I like to have total control from day one, and start my long term plans and theories with staff etc (see http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...-san-marino-guide-kandersson.html#post1349200)

no problem mate you can continue managing 2 clubs as there was no "official" rule until now, personally I couldn't play two long term games in the same save mostly because that would be exhausting.

Official SM announcement: ​new hall of famers added to OP, let me know if I forgot someone :p

Ahh no worries, my United team was of no benefit to San Marino anyway i created them with a 1000 reputation but the stadium and facilities were better.

Quite looking forward to starting with one full time San Marino game anyway, will wait to take the National job till i'm offered though i think. might try get the U-21 job or something first.

Besides i had a few glitches game kept changing my surname to Dusart from Marino.. i'm Dan Marino ^_^

Last edited:
Giving this ago now just about to start the season had a lively window and as expected signed now fewer than 11 players including the obvious Scorza,Gulraiz Conti & Sodinha however i usually struggle with tactics so just going to have to see how it goes. Any tips would be appreciated can never get a team to gel :(

Aww was going to use Scoutmeister (if/when Foss releases it) for the National Team management to find out players with potential etc but I won't if you dont want us to.

Awesome, started this again with a full database 75000 players to choose from, got me a front line of Conti. Gairaiz, Scorza, Sodhina this time..

Which training do you guys use/recommend?

Man why didnt this guy appear before, the bigger database (loaded SM, plus all playes from Eng, France, Spain, Germany, Italy) is such a benefit.. quick reshuffle with my front line, any of you tried playing Conti in midfield centre??

View attachment 201537

been offered former Roma man Mauro Esposito as well now... do i take the wage and bench Sodinha....... too many options...

Last edited:
Giving this ago now just about to start the season had a lively window and as expected signed now fewer than 11 players including the obvious Scorza,Gulraiz Conti & Sodinha however i usually struggle with tactics so just going to have to see how it goes. Any tips would be appreciated can never get a team to gel :(

choose a tactic you both trust AND like and stick with that as tactical consistency is a key in FM. Teamtalks are now more important than ever and are a powerful weapon if you get them right. Also don't panic if you have shaky results at the start as your new signings need time to gel and learn your tactic. Personally I think Gulraiz/AML + Sodinha/AMR + Scorza/ST = good things ;) if you want to ask for further advice you can use the other thread http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...-san-marino-guide-kandersson.html#post1349200

Well thanks to my good cup run (got around 500K for reaching the first round) and the fact I mostly released everyone who were not gonna play or had a potential of 3 stars or better my finances aren't that messed up. The 2.5 million I got for finishing 5th also helped a great deal. I've signed loads and loads of young players with only 1 "marquee" signing (Gianluca Curci) and have only spent 400K in the summer. I'm under the wage budget I was given and the first thing I did after getting the 2.5 million was to ask the board to improve the junior coaching and youth facilities of the club to enable me to bring better players through for me and hopefully the NT in the future.

I will obviously try to avoid the drop but it's gonna be hard. I really got there a year or even two ahead of schedule so it's gonna be a struggle. 17th place would be an achievement. But i'm gonna try, it's gonna be fun! However if I somehow manage to stay up it's obvious that the board HAS to expand/build another stadium for me to fully enable the club to grow.

Aww was going to use Scoutmeister (if/when Foss releases it) for the National Team management to find out players with potential etc but I won't if you dont want us to.

well personally I'm against all the scouting tools (not to mention real time editors) as they take away all the fun from scouting/searching players. Plus they spoil the spirit of this game especialy in long term saves don't you think?

best players will always be the ones produced at your club or the occasional sammarinese from reputable clubs (btw Juventus have three sammarinese staff member in my current save...), so it won't be that hard to spot them ;)

btw well done with that treble of yours!

Hahah, I'm such a rookie at this site.

My latest post was meant to be a response to Antonio28 but I forgot to reply with a quote.

Managed to put together a 4/5 star squad in preseason for £5k a week less than my last save.. jesus, not to try and fit the 1st eleven together, looks liks sodinha will be benched. Or i could have a back 4 and front six of Conti, Giaraiz, Abrahim, Sorza, Espostio, Sodinha... if can get Contri trained to centre mid i could go 4-3-3.. :p

Has anyone brought through the Rivi kid from the u-20's u get when you start?

Serie B

So my third season with San Marino and it was a roller coaster. I finished 5th and got into the play-offs but in the first half of the season I was struggling just above the relegation zone. I sold Gulraiz and brought in another striker called Octavio Rivero and my season changed. From then my record was astonishing and my best period was P14 W12 D2 L0 and that boosted me right up the table. And I luckily got a good run-in which meant I secured a play-off place and was in form going into the play-offs.

I beat Chievo and Sassuolo and was promoted! That is three back to back promotions and I was amazed, I had my sights set on finishing midtable.

Below is places throughout the season, coming 21st at one point was not a highlight.

View attachment 201552

And the league at the end. And the stats. Scorza was still banging them in but came third in the goalscoring competition but won player of the year.

View attachment 201542 View attachment 201543

These are my now excellent finances after getting £2.4million for getting promoted.

View attachment 201553

And I'm still working on the Sammarinese kid, no progress as of yet..

Looking forward to Serie A

Last edited:
Right, sod all the transfers and league, gimme some NT players/formations/tips!

Well my first NT game was a 3-0 loss to Sudia Arabia but i did get -->

The AC Milan Assistant Manager to take the U-21 job.
Bosman a coach at Ajax to join my NT staff.
Juventus GK Coach to join my staff.
Stephane Roche (PSG) to take a coach job.
Micharl Wetzel from Dortmund to take the U-19 job

and.....

Ruud Guillet to be my assistant Manager... Schexxy Football is coming back baby!!!

So Samariese knowledge being gained at. AC MILAN, JUVENTUS, PARIS ST GERMAIN, DORTMUND AND AJAX.

On a side note the first 3 games of the season are down with my San Marino MK II and i've scored 18 and conceded 2... oh this could be fun!

Last edited:
well the NT scored there first goal for me... during an 8-1 drubbing by the dutch.. god they suck!!!
Im playing the famous 541 formation, trying to sneek another keeper in goal as well... ¬_¬