The Great San Marino Challenge

Keep us posted, i couldnt be bothered with teh NT job just yet so am concentrating on my squad, got my 24 man squad on fire a the min, even picked up an Irish lad (Jamil Adam) on a free as a spare striker, took him 12 mins to bag a hat trick on his debut.. ^_^

Teams hit 69 in 18 games conceding 10 so far...

Last edited:
Well im doing a little roleplaying myself atm, I got approached to coach Senegal, I have never coached a National team on this save not even San Marino, so I'm gonna cut my teeth internationally with Senegal before bringing my National Experience to the SM NT later in my career. Also I'll be posting my big update of my promotion from Serie B to Serie A at the conclusion of my current Serie A campaign.

Loving reading everyones experiences with the challenge so far, so everyone keep at it :D

First Season Update:

View attachment 201707View attachment 201710View attachment 201708View attachment 201709

A good season, picking up the C2/A and the Serie C Super Cup, beating Perugia 8-0 on aggregate, however missing out of the Serie C Cup was a bit annoying.

The Scorza - Gulraiz - Sodinha partnership in my own 4-2-3-1 worked fantastically for the first half of the season, then I decided to bleed some Sammarinese youth players, both homegrown and signed in. Moscatelli, Esposito and, in particular, Pregnolato (who I'm going to tip as a future winner of "The Alessandro Cesarini Award") were the ones who stood out.

View attachment 201711View attachment 201712View attachment 201713

(Also to mention all 3 picked up their first senior SM caps this season)

And I do believe this warrants the "Local Hero" Achievement, too:

View attachment 201714

You have some amazing Sammarinese players there. Hoping for big things!

Those are some nice youngsters you got there, hopefully they can become fixtures in the national team in the near future.

I have found it incredibly hard to develop these sammarinese youngsters in the beginning. Poor facilities, poor competition along with very few good players make it extremely hard to get them to amount to something. Not to mention that most of them have very poor potential, it's pretty frustrating to get someone who looks like he might be good, only to find that he doesn't develop at all and has probably reached his potential already

yeah I know exactly how you feel. As the NT manager I have to look at the positive though: even if that guy Ciro Napoli doesn't improve his stats, he'd still be the quickest (pace 13) and most gifted (dribbling, passing, technique all 10) player in the country ahaha

Last edited:
First Season Update:

View attachment 201707View attachment 201710View attachment 201708View attachment 201709

A good season, picking up the C2/A and the Serie C Super Cup, beating Perugia 8-0 on aggregate, however missing out of the Serie C Cup was a bit annoying.

The Scorza - Gulraiz - Sodinha partnership in my own 4-2-3-1 worked fantastically for the first half of the season, then I decided to bleed some Sammarinese youth players, both homegrown and signed in. Moscatelli, Esposito and, in particular, Pregnolato (who I'm going to tip as a future winner of "The Alessandro Cesarini Award") were the ones who stood out.

View attachment 201711View attachment 201712View attachment 201713

(Also to mention all 3 picked up their first senior SM caps this season)

And I do believe this warrants the "Local Hero" Achievement, too:

View attachment 201714

great season and amazing players!

I have to ask you something though, please don't hate me! I see those three regens don't come from your youth setup, and apparently you have picked them at the start of the season. So I assume they were free agents or they were playing in the SM league. As the NT manager I made lots of researching at the start of the season (via scouting and filters) and never ever came across a single sammarinese regen at that time and certainly no one with such great attributes! The only half-decent regen from SM league popped out at mid-season at newgens date (was 20y old btw)

I believe 100% in your good faith, any chance you're using a custom database with some edited data (even the slightest changes can lead to unusual consequences)? Having three SM regens available right at the start of the game, with those stats, that age, in the first season... honestly sounds just a bit suspect :p?

that was a fantastic season nonetheless

Last edited:

I have to ask you something though, please don't hate me! I see those three regens don't come from your youth setup, and apparently you have picked them at the start of the season. So I assume they were free agents or they were playing in the SM league. As the NT manager I made lots of researching at the start of the season (via scouting and filters) and never ever came across a single sammarinese regen at that time and certainly no one with such great attributes! The only half-decent regen from SM league popped out at mid-season at newgens date (was 20y old btw)

I believe 100% in your good faith, any chance you're using a custom database with some edited data (even the slightest changes can lead to unusual consequences)? Having three SM regens available right at the start of the game, with those stats, that age, in the first season... honestly sounds just a bit suspect :p?

I'll get back to you after work, but I was just as shocked as you. Pregnatano did come from Juve in february though.

I'll get back to you after work, but I was just as shocked as you. Pregnatano did come from Juve in february though.

makes much more sense that he was created at Juventus, I've seen such things happening even in first season... BUT if he came in february (or even january) how did he manage to amass 25 league appearences?

local hero award currently sub-judice :p

I hate to be **** mate, I just have this ridiculous obsession for the san marino challenge ;)

makes much more sense that he was created at Juventus, I've seen such things happening even in first season... BUT if he came in february (or even january) how did he manage to amass 25 league appearences?

local hero award currently sub-judice :p

I hate to be **** mate, I just have this ridiculous obsession for the san marino challenge ;)

I understand mate. However, I swear, no foul play occurred. He might have come in December/January, and I can tell you now he didn't pick up any injuries. Might be how he got 25 apps.

I'm as against cheating as you are :)

One season in the books, and we took care of business. League, C2 Super Cup, and Serie C Cup, including an epic road comeback on Pisa in the final (who finished 2nd in C1/A).

View attachment 201790View attachment 201787View attachment 201794

I missed out on Scorza, but got Gulraiz, who was prolific, and we scored over 100 goals even with him away from the team for about a month.

View attachment 201789

That's right, he was away from the team for month getting his first international cap for Algeria, and played in the African Cup of Nations despite playing his club football in lowly Serie C2.

The youth prospects that came in were much better than I expected, and look like they'll all get SM callups in due time (except for the Italian dude).

View attachment 201788View attachment 201791View attachment 201792View attachment 201793

Shipped too many goals in the first season, so that will have to be addressed. Looking at the rest of you, I have a lot to live up to! Onward and upward.

I understand mate. However, I swear, no foul play occurred. He might have come in December/January, and I can tell you now he didn't pick up any injuries. Might be how he got 25 apps.

I'm as against cheating as you are :)

Fair enough. I just want to reconstruct the dynamics of the whole process, as I like to know how things can or cannot work with San Marino in FM.

So that guy was at Juventus at the start of the game which explains why he looks much better than the average sammarinese. To make 25 league apps for you he had to come in early november at the latest, so you didn't buy him as transfer window was closed then. Which means he was released by Juventus before November, and I have to say I've never seen clubs releasing youth players so early in the game. And I guess the other regens had a different route?

I really don't mean to accuse you of anything, as I said I believe you're 100% in good faith. Those players and their stories just lead me to believe there might be some slightly modified data in your current game responsible for those things happening. Even without you knowing.

then again, if you say it's default game with default db I just believe you.

Added your local hero achievement in hall of fame :)

Thanks mate. I have a theory, of which I will explain when I get home.

My theory is, that by selecting the DB to load all Sammarinese players, it has placed all the players from the Sammarinese league (which was not loaded) into the free agents. INCLUDING the regens for the U18's of those clubs.

Now, every now and again you will get a few half decent regens from the start of the game.

Might just have been lucky, I suppose.

Last edited:
Transfers for Serie C/1:

View attachment 201861View attachment 201862View attachment 201863View attachment 201859

Luca Fusco: Good stats and experience. Backup to current RB Duccio Innocenti

Marco Materrazi: The name says it all. A World Cup winner playing for San Marino. Great experience and possible mentor for Vicenzo Esposito. Possible staff role in future.

Fernando Varela: Jumped at the chance to get this guy when I saw his attributes. Looks like a great back-up/rotation winger.

Cristian Galano: Loanee striker from Bari. Backup for Pregnolato, as being low on strikers was a worry last season. Especially with Scorza playing the AM/C role as effectively as he did.

Looking forward to the new season!

Last edited:
Sorry for the attachments - having horrific internet problems :/

Serie A Survival!

I made it somehow.

Despite only 15 points in my last 21 matches I survived ! Reached the magical 40 points and voila they were enough to stay up!

View attachment 201924

Some painful moments. Lecce beat me 10-1 combined. I don't care though, I got more points than them and I survived despite having easilly the worst squad in the league.

View attachment 201925

I signed a total of 22 players for a whopping 375K. Still managed to be under the wage budget. Almost all of them are young players with considerable potential.

Concas, Curci, Gouano and González were my most important signings. No player was a star for me, although I'd say Conti with 9 goals and 11 assists was the best player overall. I'm however most pleased with this one.

View attachment 201926

My finances are okay still, although I need to get a bigger stadium. I need to.

View attachment 201927

I got one player up who's potential is massive according to my assistant.

View attachment 201929 View attachment 201930

I didn't do well in the cup, only reaching the final 16, but I can't say I was focusing to much on that. My only goal was survival.

Anyways, off to do some wheeling and dealing. I'm aiming at getting 50 points next season as well as having a better cup run.

How much backing are you guys getting from the board? i've cash injected 4 times in my first season so far, only 50k a time but i had none when i started this previously..

He's back! And the fans go crazy!

View attachment 202035

Cult player Alessandro Cesarini back where he belongs. Looks like a slightly different player than he was in FM11 though, not worse just different: used to be an out and out striker and now he's a natural AMC; what he lost in pace, finishing and composure he gained in passing and creativity.

In my plans he was the first alternative for both AML and ST postions but in first half of the season he has been a regular at AML as Gulraiz was apparently on tour with Algeria almost every week... Cesarini has been a real creative force so far, with some nice playmaking and lots of assists. Though he found ways to remind me of good old times now and then...

View attachment 202039

How about a hat trick coming off the bench against strong serie B side Bari in the Italian Cup? Gotta love Cesa...

btw 2nd season going extremely well, actually could be one of the best I've ever had in all my CM/FM career! updates coming soon