The Great San Marino Challenge

I don't think you can without using the editor.

You just have to wait for whichever one you don't start as to come free.

Step 1) At start load all players of San Marino nationality and top players from san marino league with a large database

Step 2) Join San Marino (club)

Step 3) Retire from Club

Step 4) Join NT with international experience (good footballing nationality like Italy, if you pick San Marino you wont get into club)

Step 5) Apply for Club

Step 6) If everything is correct you will be offered the job and be managers of both teams

2018-2019 Season (5th in Serie A)

It seemed like its been longer than 2 weeks since the last time I posted. I had to fly back home for a funeral and when I got back my computer was on the fritz and everything is back up and running now. I knew I said I would post this season the next day so that is why it took me so long. It was a good one too.

I didn't win the league this year, but was very close as I did finish second and only behind by 5 points. Not bad for not spending any money on transfers. From that my finances are great and it seems since they are so great that every year now they are adding more seats to the stadium, and I am getting to improve all my little things (facilities, training grounds, youth coaching, etc.)

Talking about money, I am finally starting to reap some of the benefits from putting together some good seasons. Not only did I come in second, but won the Euro Cup as well. Hopefully we can get that closer to the 10 million mark next season. At least this will be our first year in the Champions League which is very exciting. We should put a good campaign together. Least we should do is get out of the group stages. From the rise we also go invited on a pre-season tour.

As for the national team it has kind of been a mixed bag. Three really good players, who I had on my team before getting the job, don't want to play for me so that is very disappointing. But it does seem like last year's crop of new guys (none of them are as good as the top 3 who won't come) did all accept the call up's so that is promising.

I don't think I will get that achievement of cracking the top 100 with the club since I only been the manager since the end of 2018 season. I did go 1-1-2 in the Euro's stage which was great. That and the win against a friendly (ranked like 190) did push me up to 170 now, but doubt I can move 70 places. Also is it still count if you move up in 2020 or is it before the year starts?

I told ya Masiero was gonna be great ;) I can see you cracking into EURO 2028!

The hard part is making it that far lol. I want to be excited for World Cup Quals. but the Sammarinese NT is like the ex girlfriend that keeps leading you on and gets your hopes up only to break your heart again and again.

@choices: great job, and yeah you have until december 31st 2020 to make the top 100 ;) I reckon it's quite hard if you took NT job only recently.

Well I will doubt that I will keep the job. Which leads me to a question for basically you, squirrel who have continue to keep the job. Just lost to Spain in the European Championship Quals to the score 0-7 (better than I expected though), and my fans were upset with the loss and the board said I need to do better if I want to keep my job. Apparently getting San Marino to 170th World Ranking for the first time in ten years over the 200th ranking mark isn't good enough. How do you keep the job when you are trying to rebuild. Or is it just meant to get fired and then get hired back on?

The hard part is making it that far lol. I want to be excited for World Cup Quals. but the Sammarinese NT is like the ex girlfriend that keeps leading you on and gets your hopes up only to break your heart again and again.

yeah I know exactly how you feel hahaha. World cup quals are so hard even with an "easy" group, only first place will do plus second place for a tough playoff often against a very good team. EURO quals are much more feasible.

@choices: I started with NT in july 2011 and still there in 2020, never been sacked all these years. I did receive a couple of warnings like "things need to improve" but nothing happened, even when I was losing everyhere 0-7 or worse. FA expectations were always "learn from the experience" so results were not that important. Hopefully things will remain like that even after our EURO 2020 experience.

Our U21 manager Mauro Tassotti never got sacked as well, though he just resigned to take Italy NT job (!). U19 manager was shockingly sacked in 2018 though. Poor guy.

2019-2020 Season (6th season in Serie A or 1st year in La Liga)

Season started off a little shaky. Were pretty favorite to win, but yet we had to go to a shootout in the Super Cup. I was a little worried that the lack of pre-season (only did the Spanish Tour) wouldn't be enough to get ready for what was ahead.

This would be the foreshadowing of would what to come. Also why I said it felt like I was in the La Liga. We were slight underdogs on a neutral ground. Still despite last game against a league opponent this was against Real Madrid in Euro Super Cup. Still we would win. It wouldn't be the last time we would see them as went the group stages came out they were in the group. We lost at their place by like 2-3 goals, and at home we tied to bring our record to 1-1-1 on the year. We would advance out of the group stages (Real Madrid was first), but then we would have to face tough test in Barcelona.

We would have lady luck on our side, and it was about the first time for us to finally get her, but we snuck out a 2-0 win at home while they had two goals called back, and then tied on the road 1-1 while we blocked a PK shot (and Messi was injured that game). We would move on to the Semi's where we would meet up with Real Madrid again. Again we would lose on the road 2-1, but then at home would pull out a 3-1 victory in which we would change our tactics to head to the finals and push our record against them on the year to 2-1-2.

Next we would make our way into the finals of the league cup. We actually would put some of our bench in to try to get us to that elusive first place in the league especially with all the games we played this year. The double would be in the books as we would score 2-0 with five starters missing and our top striker who was getting a rest this game. It would be the third time since coach Ryan took over San Marino.

We would be in first place in the league for the majority of the year. Then when the games for the league and UEFA came we kind of slipped. Though with three games left we were up by one point. We would tie the first two games which put us into second place. With last game at hand we would cruise to a 3-0 win and Bari would tie their game to flip spots due to GD. First time that we would achieve the triple.

Then came the finals for the Champs League. Could we really claim the fourth trophy of the year? The fans would be over the top, but not as much as coach Ryan as his team would cruise to the win. Talk about the dream season for the club, and finally some achievements and improvements would show. The team is now the 13th richest club in the world around 197 million. From the hardware we finally got our goal of getting over 10 million in sponsorship mostly due to this as the new year we are just a hair under 12 million.

View attachment 237120

Coach Ryan did win coach of the year, or at least I didn't see it, but the only one we got was scoring goals as this came up in the message box. Pretty impressive for the first year on the team, and he broke the scoring record in the year and looks to break the team record in the next two years if he keeps this torrid pace up.

View attachment 237127

So great news for the club, but how about the national team? (kandersson I did sim to see if I would get fired and actually did get fired after three more consecutive losses of 0-1, 1-2 and then 0-11). But with me playing with the bunker-down-counterattack tactic we won 2-1, tied 1-1, and lost 0-7. Kept the job and moved up in the standings from 170th to 114th (currently ranked. actually moved up 22 spots after that 0-7 lost since didn't have a friendly and everyone else was losing around me). I did finish fourth in the Euro quals, since I went 2-2-6 (or whatever and when I took over I went 2-1-4 with both wins against FYR Macedonia). So we are getting close to that 100 ranking mark espcially with less than 6 months to get up 15 spots.​

View attachment 237185

This is just for you Kandersson. If I take the job and basically let San Marino beat me does that give me the achievement for beating Italy? Was tempted at first, but the funny thing is that I almost get fired for San Marino, but yet Italy...yes Italy wants me?​

View attachment 237185

This is just for you Kandersson. If I take the job and basically let San Marino beat me does that give me the achievement for beating Italy? Was tempted at first, but the funny thing is that I almost get fired for San Marino, but yet Italy...yes Italy wants me?​

hahahahaha! I've been approached by the likes of Spain and France, but never Italy! If you accept then I hope you "lead" them to 208th place ;)

hahahahaha! I've been approached by the likes of Spain and France, but never Italy! If you accept then I hope you "lead" them to 208th place ;)

Well guess I am just special then to getting Italy. Actually I think my second nationally for my coach is Italian not Sammarine. Kind of messed that up at the beginning I think. Or it is just American. I do have some easy teams in World Cup Quals. Well at least three of the five look. Well Bosnia & Herz. is 48th (will try everything to knock out one achievement), Romania is 72nd, and I beat them last year in a friendly when they were like 102 or something, and then Azerbaijan is 190th. Problem is my first two games are against Sweden which is 4th and then Russia which is 23rd. Those two I doubt I will have a chance, but at least the first three I am try for.

EDIT: Also I know someone said that taxes were high in their game. Mine are getting higher than normal it seems. Anyone else paying around like 3 million a month for taxes?

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to get any useful foreign feeder clubs? I've tried both 'Increase profile in another country' and 'Successful youth system' but my board never finds a suitable link, and if I try to pick one myself it always falls through.

Has anyone been able to get any useful foreign feeder clubs? I've tried both 'Increase profile in another country' and 'Successful youth system' but my board never finds a suitable link, and if I try to pick one myself it always falls through.

as we improved our reputation in the years the board always accepted new feeder clubs, here are mine as of 2020:

View attachment 237400

@choices: I don't think it's a bug, you're making more money and unfortunately that means more taxes... same happens for me:

View attachment 237401

Well well well, halfway through my 2nd season in Serie A and we find ourselves in a title race! 4 teams at the top, all tied on points, same number of wins, so I think we're currently decided on results between teams, but I'm not sure how it works, as I've beaten teams who are above me (Palermo) and have a higher goal ratio than others (Milan, for example).

In Europa league, I'm through to First Knockout Round, having won our group, and qualifying with a game in hand. I drew Genk, who I'm fairly confident of beating, they're definitely a better option than City! Then I'll probably get Ajax in the Second Knockout Round, who will be tough, but we've beaten better domestically, and I always back the Titani to get an upset!

I forgot to mention that I got knocked out of the Cup as soon as I entered it to none other than Pescara, who I beat in the final last year, but they got relegated. They obviously wanted revenge as they put two past my keeper at Olimpico, where we've been very tough to break down. Frankly, I'm grateful, as we've got a fairly small squad and we've been plagued by injuries yet again, along with a very congested fixture list. Injuries include: key left-back (no one else naturally plays there, I have a couple of converted right-backs!) key left winger (new signing from Newcastle, put in something like 5 assists in his first three matches, then out for 2-3 months) and several minor injuries to my forwards, which just means a lack of consistency up front.

Backroom-wise, my stadium expansion is complete, taking Olimpico to nearly 6000 seats! The fact that my stadium is the smallest in Serie A, probably in Serie B too, and wouldn't look out of place in C1, and yet I'm still up with the big boys at the top of the table is frankly hilarious! I have the chance to ask my board to build a new stadium, so I'll wait until the end of the transfer window, and maybe the end of the season when I've collected my (hopefully enormous for finishing first!) prize pot, along with any TV money from Europe.
Training facilities improvement was completed, youth facilities improvement was granted, still can't get even a remotely decent feeder club, I tried to get a CS club but they were unable to reach an agreement, I've just had another request flat out rejected, I think it'll be a case of getting a higher rep, then asking again.

Have had a few obscene co-ownership deals, £1.9 mil for my 19 year old Argentinian striker (4.5 PA) when I was offered £1.1 mil for a full transfer! He is still playing U20s so hopefully they won't offer any actual money for him, come the end of the deal.
Another few for youth players who occasionally get a bit of 1st team action, and they brought my bank balance up to around £3 mil. My facilities improvement will cost £1.4 mil, so that leaves me with £1.6 to play around with, hopefully to get me a new stadium or at least an expansion.

My board are currently in love with me, with 89% confidence overall, and 88% in all competitions, I'm hoping to get the steam achievements for those 90%'s soon! I feel it may be my only chance!

My CS side started brilliantly, getting the furthest we ever have in Europe, the Second Qualifying Round of the CL! We drew at home, then were thrashed away, but we still did San Marino proud! Aiming for Third Qual Round next season.
Domestically, they are walking away with everything, already won the Trofeo Federale, and are unbeaten in all competitions, 30 wins in a row in the league (including last season), 18 wins in a row this season and it doesn't look like stopping either, given that we further strengthened the side with 3 new signings at the back in the transfer window.
Additionally, probably thanks only to my success, the league rating looks like it will move up 2 places next season. It doesn't give the CS any more European qualifying places yet, but it can only help!

TL;DR - Life is good...

wow. I'd say wait until the end of the season because the board will have enough money if you get the title. Even if you dont win the league ask them anyway

I actually haven't really tried to do this yet. I know it's weird. I have asked the board twice, the last two years. Both years they let me pick the team. One I wanted was a partnership for getting younger players which I tried to pick a higher team. Didn't get a response (went in the Brazil league which was why) and last year I tried the same thing but went to San Marino. The board I guess didn't agree on it and then gave me some offers which I accepted for Gimnastic which I think is good so far. One player was going into their final year of contact and I kept praising him. A team offered 8.5 Million but I offered for a free contract and he accepted my offer cause he liked my coach better. So right now I think it is working. He is starting for me too. This is the guy I got.

Here I was wondering if I would ever get to be as dominate as you guys like Squirrel and Kandersson. Guess it was just a season away from what I was expecting. Hopefully I can finish this up today (have no work and nothing to do so might as well play some FM) and things might be finally looking up for little San Marino!

2020-2021 Season (7th in Serie A, second in La Liga)

First lets talk about the ugly (I will try not to add a lot of photo's cause the next post will have the most): I made it to the finals in both the league cup and champs league again for the second straight year and this year it wouldn't be our time since we lost both games. Worst was to Barcelona in the Champs league where we had a red card in the first five minutes and three starters out with an injury in which we fell 0-3. League cup had some injuries still, only 2, but still lost 1-2. Also lost league scoring Agra for 3/4's the year due to two injuries.

Next is the bad: Injuries to some key players through the season hurt us, but also losing five players coming into the year. Three were sold as they were heading into their last year on their contract, and two others being released due to getting up in age or falling deep in the depth chart.

Finally the good: We are now the highest prestige team in the world. I don't know if that is cause I made the finals for everything for the past two year, even if we didn't win everything during that time, but now sitting at 4 1/2 stars with three other teams with one being Barcelona. Also won the league for the second straight year. Plus this has happened with our leading scorer out.

View attachment 237874

Which then lead to this for the first time for both...

View attachment 237877View attachment 237878

With the national team we had some positive results. We took over picking our friendlies, instead of playing top 30 teams that our assistant coach was picking, we made headway and finally broke the achievement. We also got a top win over a top 50 club in the world for our second achievement.

View attachment 237879

Which leads me to the last news. Finally San Marino is moving up not only in status, but getting close to becoming the richest clubs in the world. Moving from 13th to 3rd is pretty impressive, and with that we bought our first player ever heading into the next season for 28 million.

Kandersson accept the awesomeness!!!

You might be asking how did we jump so high in the richest clubs. Was those three players he sold really worth like over 200 million, and the answer is it was very close. One was 75 million, the other two were 5...okay maybe not. What you are thinking is true.

View attachment 237880

As you can see this was just in the beginning. When it did happen was when the first time I have ever encountered this in all my saves ever in the past four years of FM. With like Kandersson the league is going to get very easily, or well hopefully. Depending on if I want to buy players. What does this mean now...does it mean start to buy up all up-comers of San Marino and let them train at my facilities to hopefully improve them to make the national team a lot better, or is that cheating. Despite all of that my club facilities are now all maxed out now.

View attachment 237881

Now the question becomes when can we build a new stadium, and can we become the highest achieving team in Serie A when it comes to sponsorships? Time will tell, but now will it just be a burden to play in Serie A and all I want to do is play the national team?

Dear god I'm jealous. I'd give my (manager's) right arm to have a tenth of that money!

Beggars can't be choosers...

Along with what you said, I'd buy anyone who looks decent from countries you'll be playing in qualifying tournaments, then ruin their careers. It might be horrible, but we're not here to make friends. GK training schedules (along with lots of physical training to make sure they get injured lots), reserve team football, making sure they have low morale, shipping them to rubbish feeder clubs or accepting loan offers for them to warm the bench, along with constantly making them feel worthless should do the trick. Oh and if you can get them to retire from internationals, even better.

I don't think it's cheating; it's not nice for sure, but it's only a game, no one's actual livelihood is at stake from you destroying these bits of data in a computer. And we're not using FMRTE, we're working within the original game. All's fair in love and football.

EDIT: My CS side has just been offered two of my former SM players, who I released on frees in the past. This either shows I made really bad signings, or the CS has progressed a lot, let's hope it's the latter!

Last edited: