The Great San Marino Challenge

• Thread starter Thread starter kandersson
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 471K
some great achievements there, well done Choices! Though I have to say I'm very happy that we still have same ownership and board we had back in 2011. Hope it stays like this forever, not a fan of those sheiks and russian mobsters tbh ;)

not sure what you mean when you say you might buy all up-comers of San Marino, I'm afraid the only decent/good/great SM players will always be produced at your club. Haven't seen a single SM player created at other clubs in 10 years (which is disappointing, as in FM11 that would happen now and then) while players from the local SM league will never be good enough for Serie A (or even Serie B).

could you post a couple of screens of your best National Team players?

@commando: hahaha nice idea to ruin your rivals' players! though I'd only do that for my nemesis, the evil Italy, and obviously for SM players who decide to play for them at senior level XD

Last edited:
some great achievements there, well done Choices! Though I have to say I'm very happy that we still have same ownership and board we had back in 2011. Hope it stays like this forever, not a fan of those sheiks and russian mobsters tbh ;)

not sure what you mean when you say you might buy all up-comers of San Marino, I'm afraid the only decent/good/great SM players will always be produced at your club. Haven't seen a single SM player created at other clubs in 10 years (which is disappointing, as in FM11 that would happen now and then) while players from the local SM league will never be good enough for Serie A (or even Serie B).

could you post a couple of screens of your best National Team players?

@commando: hahaha nice idea to ruin your rivals' players! though I'd only do that for my nemesis, the evil Italy, and obviously for SM players who decide to play for them at senior level XD

as your latest post in your story thread shows, the CS sides do get better, trying not to give away any spoilers, if they are doing that well then surely they must have produced someone that could challenge for serie A or at least serie B.

as your latest post in your story thread shows, the CS sides do get better, trying not to give away any spoilers, if they are doing that well then surely they must have produced someone that could challenge for serie A or at least serie B.

unfortunately they haven't. A few SM clubs have improved a lot in the years, Tre Penne in particular, but they achieved that with new signings from abroad (some of them had a spell at our club before!), not with local youngsters from youth setup.

Hopefully teams like Tre Penne will start producing better players as they increase their finances and club reputation, but I don't see that happening soon tbh.

Well guess I am just special then to getting Italy. Actually I think my second nationally for my coach is Italian not Sammarine. Kind of messed that up at the beginning I think. Or it is just American. I do have some easy teams in World Cup Quals. Well at least three of the five look. Well Bosnia & Herz. is 48th (will try everything to knock out one achievement), Romania is 72nd, and I beat them last year in a friendly when they were like 102 or something, and then Azerbaijan is 190th. Problem is my first two games are against Sweden which is 4th and then Russia which is 23rd. Those two I doubt I will have a chance, but at least the first three I am try for.

EDIT: Also I know someone said that taxes were high in their game. Mine are getting higher than normal it seems. Anyone else paying around like 3 million a month for taxes?

Yeah that was me. My taxes were very high for 1 season then dropped down to normal level for some reason. I was paying more in taxes than in wages! It was just after the last update with the tv money. I think it was something to do with that but sorted itself out.

San Marino rejects and favorites

The guy I really wanted, and wasn't on my team. Started off for La Fiorita and then was bought by Venezia. He is the best of the best that wasn't produced at my team and the only one who won't sign for our team. Wants to be on Italy. He could of probably gave us some wins since our midfield as been hurting of late.

The first recruiting class that I got who was basically really good. I had to wait like 2-3 years until I got the coaching job, and ever since that he wanted to play for Italy. He was dropped all of last year from the under 19 squad, but declined every call-up I gave to him. Still on my team, but have sent him off to a feeder team to get some PT.

My top four players. The attacking mid/striker isn't my best striker on the team, but does all my scoring though. 6 goals in 17 games or something isn't that bad. I am getting some better intake of players now, or at least last year when the new owner came in and build up everything to help me out. My national team isn't good at scoring, but we are becoming a lock down D. Worst lost in the last 2 years has been to Russia and someone else by 0-4 scores. Most of the time scores are 1-0, 1-1, or 0-1.​

magic mate, you are brilliant, should send in an app to San Marino in real life :p

When you mentor youth players what exactly do you do? I've got a few decent youth talents that are San Marinese and I'd like to mentor them to make sure they hit their potential, thought I'd ask for tips from the best.

Well I'm not the best, but if it helps...

Look at their info page and make a note of their personality, and if it says "Similar type of player to:", that player will be a great choice as a tutor, at least in my experience. Ideally someone of the same nationality (not likely if they're SM!) or failing that who speaks the same language, so probably an Italian.

Then find a player who plays in the same position (or at least a similar one, a left back will probably still be a good tutor for a centre back), with good determination, and ideally a high professionalism stat (hard to determine without using FMRTE or Genie Scout I think, but if you look at the potential mentor's personality, it'll ideally say "Model professional", but something similar is also good; "driven" or "very determined" are both good), and a similar personality.

As far as I know, there's no difference between the options for asking a player to mentor another.

That's my contribution anyway.

wait wait wait. How the **** did Tre Penne achieve that in your game, kandersson? That's probably the coolest thing I've ever seen in this game.

I never really tutor. Only when in coaching meetings they will say "tutor this guy". And a question for everyone. I know Kandersson build a new stadium, or was that squirrels, but what is everyone's stadium capacity at and have you built a new stadium yet?

I never really tutor. Only when in coaching meetings they will say "tutor this guy". And a question for everyone. I know Kandersson build a new stadium, or was that squirrels, but what is everyone's stadium capacity at and have you built a new stadium yet?

I'm still using the default one but it's maxed at 30,000. My board is planning to buy a new ground but it won't be completed for 3 years.

magic mate, you are brilliant, should send in an app to San Marino in real life :p

When you mentor youth players what exactly do you do? I've got a few decent youth talents that are San Marinese and I'd like to mentor them to make sure they hit their potential, thought I'd ask for tips from the best.

haha maybe I will someday!

as for tutoring, Commando gave some very good tips. Basically good mentors can help improve personality, determination and PPM's of young players. Like that Pulp fiction quote, "personality goes a long way", while high determination and right preferred moves can often make a difference during matches.

Tutoring is very important in FM, in fact I often sign useless veteran players only to use them as mentors for youngsters. In the end you should use that as much as possible (only if you have suitable mentors), but remember that once players turn 18 they'll need consistent playing time with first team to keep progressing; if you can give them both tutoring AND playing time at your club great, otherwise you should send them on loan when they turn 18.

@choices: we're still at the Olimpico as of 2020 with a capacity of 30,000 after latest expansion. Might ask for a new stadium at the end of the season as I don't really like Olimpico's artificial turf ;)

Hmm...I thought the 30,000 seater was when they built the new stadium. I thought I was still in like an 18K but mine is at 30K. Also it says that it is building a new stadium, assuming when the tycoon came aboard, but never said the news bulletin. So I don't know how big it is going to be (competed in 2024), and on the info page doesn't say what the new size is going to be either. I am thinking about getting away from this save. I know Kanderrson you will be sad. I still might play it just at a slower pace (usually finish a year in about 4-7 days, but I kind of messed up when I bought that one player for 28 million (was trying to see if I could go a whole save without buying someone, and that kind of ruined it but was just excited that I finally got a tycoon).

However, I always like tough challenges, so maybe the new save will be SammyT's San Marino League. I will buy people in their or will it take forever, but maybe to take that and make it the best league in the world. Last year came close with Iceland league might as well try it with a tougher challenge. I haven't made up my mind yet if I am going to start that save yet. SPOILER ALERT it's kind of tough when you go into the new season with San Marino and your wages are at like 700K but you have a wage budget of like 5 million and have over 500 million to spend in transfers.

What do you guys think? Would love to get San Marino to at least qual for the world cup or so, but our last regins were actually super amazing. Problem was that they were all from Italy and no dual ways for me so I can't put them on. Only one from San Marino and he rejected my call up. So that was a waste of a year. If I do start a new one will still continue to play, but not as much as normal.

I dunno. I think it's just the sheer fact that I have a ton of money for transfer budget, which I never use. Just the idea that I can field the best team in the world if I really wanted too, but yet the national team is just terrible. Plus the fact that I really don't like managing top teams in top leagues. I mean I will start in EPL, La Liga, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, but its always with lower tier teams and I make my way through the ranks and then usually quit when I have the best team (which I have now), the richest club in the world (which I have now), and when I achieved everything possible (which I haven't done with the NT). Usually like to use smaller leagues so I can try to get the league rep up. I will continue it just to see if I can get the national team by top 20 club by 2050. If I keep getting no recruits like last year then I might lose interest when I can't even get one recruit to the national team (despite only had one recruit this last year who was eligible and he declined the call up)

cheers for the tips guys

managed to stay up in Serie B by the skin of my teeth (i'm not very good :p), looking for mid-table/play-offs this season.

I dunno. I think it's just the sheer fact that I have a ton of money for transfer budget, which I never use. Just the idea that I can field the best team in the world if I really wanted too, but yet the national team is just terrible. Plus the fact that I really don't like managing top teams in top leagues. I mean I will start in EPL, La Liga, Ligue 1, Bundesliga, but its always with lower tier teams and I make my way through the ranks and then usually quit when I have the best team (which I have now), the richest club in the world (which I have now), and when I achieved everything possible (which I haven't done with the NT). Usually like to use smaller leagues so I can try to get the league rep up. I will continue it just to see if I can get the national team by top 20 club by 2050. If I keep getting no recruits like last year then I might lose interest when I can't even get one recruit to the national team (despite only had one recruit this last year who was eligible and he declined the call up)

Yeah I know how you feel. I think everyone at this point is frustrated that the club is the only team that will ever produce decent players, although kandersson's Tre Penne situation is very intruiging.

I, too, only enjoy the challenge of building obscure or forgotten teams into world-leaders, and I've tried to start new saves but what's the point? I already did the lower-league-to-top-league challenge with SM. What else is there to do in the lower levels? My advice is to create new, reachable goals. Have a crappy feeder club? Try getting them to Serie A with loans. Like molding promising youth into great players? Buy a bunch of 15 year old future wonderkids and watch them mature into world class players. The main thing keeping me going at this point is the latter. Something about seeing those green stat-increase arrows makes me happy :).

Find something that gives you a real connection to your game. For instance, my star striker for the club just turned 28 and I'm actually, truly sad that he won't be the starter soon. He has single-handedly won my club so many games and did so much for the club that I don't ever want to see him go. Little emotional connections like these are absolutely key to maintaing long-term saves and preventing boredom.

Anyway, my 2 cents. If all else fails then just take a break for a couple weeks or months. You'll be back eventually :P

what Squirrels said.

also, the toughest part of SM challenge is developing the national team and you still have work to do in that area ;). I have a decent NT squad as of 2020/21 (and would be VERY good if I could play dual nationality defectors), we always have a realistic chance of qualifying for major tournaments now - and already played EURO 2020 actually. Producing and developing local SM talent is the "real" San Marino Challenge ;)

I know it's hard to keep playing with the club at this point, this is from someone who has won four consecutive Serie A, CL and Club World Cup titles. New "personal" goals are vital. My main goal is to play as many SM players as possible at the club - I have currently 4 as regular rotation players and other 4-5 would be good enough BUT they're rejecting NT so I'm freezing them atm...

and like Squirrels said, "emotional connections" with your players are also key: I want my superstar striker Alex (still 22) to beat every scoring record not only for the club but also for Serie A and Europe. Bought him for 475K euros when he was 18 after some furious scouting, he's now one of the best stikers in the world, valued 30M and perennial Golden Ball candidate. That's the kind of things that keep me going :)

@Squirrels: Tre Penne did great reaching CL group stage, though I have to say their first team is completetly non-sammarinese and their improvements have all to do with signings from abroad.

Yeah still going to play with the NT team then. I will say can we just take your strikers squirrels, the midfield from Kanderrson, and my defensive players (my best players are mostly defensively which is why my games are so low scoring). Cause I think we would be able to do well with the national team.

Back