The Homework Help thread.

• Thread starter Thread starter Joel`
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 158
  • Views Views 10K
could you explain your simplification? :) dont worry about it if its a bit impossible to type out :P

Simplifying the fractions? We want a common denominator so we can combine them.

If we multiply the left hand term by CosX/CosX then the right hand term by (SinX + 1)/(SinX + 1) then the overall value of the sum stays the same (all we've done is multiply both sides by 1) but the denominators are now equal so can be added to make a single fraction. Think of it numerically if it helps. If we have 1/2 + 1/4, we multiply 1/2 by 2/2 = 2/4. 2/4 + 1/4 = 3/4.

that maths thing Jak uploaded could be German to me lol. Dont have 1 clue what any of its about

Could you guys fill this out for me please? Just to add a little bit more research to a project I'm doing

Survey provided by FreeOnlineSurveys.com

Please do it seriously as well, don't go trolling it please!

Ta.

done it mate

---------- Post added at 01:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 AM ----------

could you explain your simplification? :) dont worry about it if its a bit impossible to type out :P

ignore this now, I understand :) quite simple really :P

mate a simple way to start of trigo proving is to try make everything on your LHS into terms of sin x and cos x.... as most of the trigo identities can be derived from those two, you will find that after simplification you are able to make the LHS same as the RHS

To bring back an old thread, I have a Business Studies/Physics problem. Basically, I do AS Business Studies (but I'm in Year 9, basically we start GCSEs a year early and instead of GCSE Business Studies, it's AS level).

Anyway, one of the tasks is to create a bridge out of paper/paper clips/spaghetti, etc. and sell it (for fake money). We have to create (hand-make) the best bridge we can, and buy the materials for fake money.

I'm looking to make a cheap bridge (some people went for the high revenue; high costs option), but I was wondering (for all you Physics geniuses) what sort of bridge is easiest to create, cheapest and is strongest?

Basically the bridge has to be 40cm in diameter and have room for 2 toy trucks to cross it. The bridge will be between 2 tables at a height of 10cm above the ground. So here are the possible materials and with prices (I am trying to set myself a target of spending £100 at most!). By the way, they are each unless stated otherwise:

Straws: £5
Paper Clips: £5
Elastic Bands: £10
Sellotape: £10 per 30cm
A4 Sheet of Paper: £5
Double Broadsheet Newspaper: £6
Spaghetti: £200 per pack

Our teacher is going to decide which one to buy (we are working in groups), and she is willing to pay up to £1000 fake money for it (more if it's an exceptional design!). The purpose of the task, for me, is to maximize profit.

Any ideas to how I could built the bridge, etc.?

Cheers,
*Paul*

Take whatever material you want to build the bridge from, sellotape both ends to the table. Add columns to the bottom of the bridge (say three) to make sure the centre is supported, make sure the bridge can hold its own weight and the toy trucks, then add pieces to make it look more aesthetic. That's probably the simplest one you could build.

Take whatever material you want to build the bridge from, sellotape both ends to the table. Add columns to the bottom of the bridge (say three) to make sure the centre is supported, make sure the bridge can hold its own weight and the toy trucks, then add pieces to make it look more aesthetic. That's probably the simplest one you could build.
Sorry, call me dumb, but I'm not sure what you mean by columns? Could you sketch it quickly in Paint or something? Cheers for the quick response, though. :)

Truss bridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Columns probably wouldn't be necessary to support the bridge if the gap isn't that big.

I have 2 questions that I need help with: The subject is Geography.
Explain why are the soils of the tropical rain forest infertile.
Why does the infertile tropical rainforest soil support such a lot of vegetation?

Please reply quickly.

I have 2 questions that I need help with: The subject is Geography.
Explain why are the soils of the tropical rain forest infertile.
Why does the infertile tropical rainforest soil support such a lot of vegetation?

Please reply quickly.

soils are infertile because the trees take all the nutrients out of the soil but instead of returning the nutrients to the soil (like in nitrogen cycle, carbon cycle) they are chopped down so the soil loses nutrients.

haven't read this but sounds useful for the second question.

Please answer this question quickly:Why does the infertile tropical rainforest soil support such a lot of vegetation?
I'm only posing again and the link Jak posted didn't help me.

Please answer this question quickly:Why does the infertile tropical rainforest soil support such a lot of vegetation?
I'm only posing again and the link Jak posted didn't help me.

sorry about the link not being useful. Can you not ask your friends/ classmates what they got for the answer?

Back