The " I have a small question" thread FM14

Please can anyone tell me the correct Player Instructions to create an Inside Forward from a Wide Midfielder; thanks.
What I find works well is Cut Inside, Dribble More and Cross Less Often.

Obviously it goes without saying that you play a left footer on the right and vice versa.

Can anyone please tell me how I can set my players to mark an oppositions fullbacks when they have a goal kick? I don't want to mark them all the time though, I just want to stop the opposition keeper constantly passing it out to the defence (if its possible)

Let's say I make a new tactic. And i save it under a name. And I add a second tactic by loading this one again. I start to move the players around, for my second tactic. I switch back to the first one and the players are all mixed up. Why is that?

Edit: I don't replace players with players in positions but I move them around individually, never swapping them.

Last edited:
What I find works well is Cut Inside, Dribble More and Cross Less Often.

Obviously it goes without saying that you play a left footer on the right and vice versa.

If you have an attacking full-back on the same side, then you can put the Inside Forward on Support duty and have the full-back on Attack, with specific instructions to Get Further Forward and Cross More Often etc. This works well in my team when I have Luke Shaw overlapping outside Karlo Lulic, the right-footed Croatian who can play as an IF from the left.

Can anyone please tell me how I can set my players to mark an oppositions fullbacks when they have a goal kick? I don't want to mark them all the time though, I just want to stop the opposition keeper constantly passing it out to the defence (if its possible)

You can't do it just for the opposition's goal-kick. It's all or nothing, set in the Opposition Instructions page. An improvement for FM15 (or FM16), perhaps.

Hi folks, i cannot find the thread, so will just ask here about my tactic.
I am playing Grasshoppers in Swiss leauge. Every game, i create 20-25 shots, 5-7 on goal, rest pass goal..
- I've found a lot people ask same question as me, but no usefull answers..

Personally i just think i lack tactical knowledge or player instructions ect.

Does anyone have a tip?

I accidentally ticked the box that said 'do not show this message again' on the screen confirming that I want to proceed to the match. Is there any way to get this so it will show up again? thanks

What happened if I choose the same role with 'special move' to more than 1 player who play alongside on the field, likes 2 Half Back, 2 Regista, 2 Enganche? I've just tested 2 Trequartista and if they're both great at Technique, OTB, Flair, they're couple very well and opponent always leave holes when they're in control.

I wish I could discovered it by myself but my computer can't handle FM anymore :(

Hi,I read this forum for years ago but I write here first time.
I have two problems. I create tactic, and have 16 wins,4 draws in all competition. As Tactic Familiarity grows, my team plays worse. There is too much space between my and opponent players even I choose `Hassle Opponent` or ` Tighten Marking`.
Second problem is player marking. My FB,WB or DM leave their players and try to ``double`` or ``triple`` player with the ball. Consequently, there is open option for pass and breaking my defence. I tried with mark specific player, Hold position, Rigid, Fluid Philosophy...Nothing works.
I`m leading MU and have strong team.
Any solution to solve this?
Thanks.

Can someone tell me how to preset opp intructions please. I.e strikers weaker foot and mark tight. I noticed some tactics have them preset and was wondering how to do it as it would save time

Thanks

Can someone tell me how to preset opp intructions please. I.e strikers weaker foot and mark tight. I noticed some tactics have them preset and was wondering how to do it as it would save time

Thanks

Don't 100% quote me on this, but I think you have to save the tactic in a match. So use your tac, do the OI's then save the tactic when you're doing your Team-Talk

I play a 4-1-2-1-2 primary (forced with the talent I had and ran with it). When an opposition FB enters my end, my fullback and a midfielder go to close the FB down, even with no OP instruction. Leaving the player the FB should be marking open in the box forcing a CB to move over creating space in the middle. How do you prevent this?

Another question. In this formation. What is the best AMC/STRR/STRL combination. I had been playing them as T/F9/AF with B2B and DLP behind them. Do not feel this is right but it had been successful.

To answer my own question. It seems width has a major role on closing down opponents. It seems counter intuitive to think the narrower and more rigid you play, the more players want to close down the fullback wanting to cross the ball. I don't get it. Remove that team instruction and my fullback will continue to track the player he is suppose to.

Do you have to be a tactical genius to play this game without downloading other tactics? Playing as a Skrill premier club that is predicted to get into the play-offs and I'm losing left right and center.. even lost in the fa trophy to a team thats way way down the leagues. I get fired.. and immediately, the new manager completely turns the team around and is winning nearly every game.

Do you have to be a tactical genius to play this game without downloading other tactics? Playing as a Skrill premier club that is predicted to get into the play-offs and I'm losing left right and center.. even lost in the fa trophy to a team thats way way down the leagues. I get fired.. and immediately, the new manager completely turns the team around and is winning nearly every game.
Plug and play downloaded tactics with slight touches to fit around your team sounds like your best option mate haha.

I wouldn't say that. I'm having success with a save with Crystal Palace, LFCMarshall update and I'm far from being a genius. I will recommend you to watch full matches for a while to spot the problems, where are you leaving holes, your players are failing to move to or if there's too many moving up, etc. Any highlights mode that's not full match probably will rob you of many instances where your problems are more visible.

No you do not. Instead of ranting just post your set-up and people will help you.

Can anyone link me to a balanced formation? One that is strong in defense while strong in attack as well? I seem to find formations too defensive or too attacking.

Can anyone link me to a balanced formation? One that is strong in defense while strong in attack as well? I seem to find formations too defensive or too attacking.

Formations mean nothing. The formation you choose is your defensive shape.

You can make any formation act in any way you want. You can make a 4-3-3 become a 4-2-4 or 3-4-3, you can make a 4-4-1-1 become a 4-4-2 or a 4-2-3-1.

I'd go with a formation that has ML/MR instead of AML/AMR because they defend better and your players are closer together making passing easier.

For example my preferred formation is a 4-3-3, yet it has huge space on the flanks for the opposition to attack into and players in the AM strata WILL NOT track back unless you specifically tell them to track back, however that limits their attacking ability. So from now on I play a 4-1-4-1 and yield better results than I did with a 4-3-3. Simply because we were able to defend the wide threat yet we still had good attacking wing play because the players in the ML/MR positions still get forward like they would if they were in the AM strata.

If you are hung up on formations then go with 4-1-4-1 or a 4-4-1-1. They are the balanced versions of the ever so popular 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 and always outperforms those formations. But my advice is don't get hung up on formations too much. They are flexible and the most imperative thing to a successful tactic is, mentality, roles, PI's and TI's.

I know there are no hard and fast rules in FM, but I was wondering what people thought about the amount of instructions you give to a side playing a fluid mentality? My initial thought is that they are going to make their own minds up in fluid anyway so there is no need to, any thoughts??