The " I have a small question" thread FM14

I have tried searching the answer to the question, but I haven't been able to find a proper answer... is bad to play a winger on the opposite side of their stronger foot? For example, I have this winger who has a very strong left foot and a fairly strong right foot. His star rating for AMR (natural) is 4 and AML (accomplished) is 3 1/2. I know that scout reports aren't always accurate but shouldn't he be better on the left since he has a stronger left foot...?

Wich team instructions do you use to make your sidebacks very attacking? I want them run up and down the field and cross the ball into the box. I was thinking maybe exploit the middle, look for overlap, play narrower. Im sort of confused.

Wich team instructions do you use to make your sidebacks very attacking? I want them run up and down the field and cross the ball into the box. I was thinking maybe exploit the middle, look for overlap, play narrower. Im sort of confused.

give them an attack duty and perhaps increase your strategy, depending on how often you want them to overlap and be involved. Look for overlap shout use if you have wingers, so they hold up the ball for sidebacks. If you do have wingers, you should put them on support or defend duty...

give them an attack duty and perhaps increase your strategy, depending on how often you want them to overlap and be involved. Look for overlap shout use if you have wingers, so they hold up the ball for sidebacks. If you do have wingers, you should put them on support or defend duty...

Thank you :)

Whats the best way to defend deep? And will this work: Drop deeper, Hassle Opponents, Use Tighter Marking?

Whats the best way to defend deep? And will this work: Drop deeper, Hassle Opponents, Use Tighter Marking?
Be careful with drop deeper and hassle, this will cause all players to close down more, inlcuding your midfielders which could leave a huge gap in front of your defence, and could see you concede alot of chances to good teams in particular. I'd say that you need at least 1 DM if you do still want to use those 3 instructions together.

Be careful with drop deeper and hassle, this will cause all players to close down more, inlcuding your midfielders which could leave a huge gap in front of your defence, and could see you concede alot of chances to good teams in particular. I'd say that you need at least 1 DM if you do still want to use those 3 instructions together.

I agree mostly with beeje13, but I would advise against hassling and tight marking when dropping deep. You will be standing further away from opponents, so those two options will drag your defence out of position and you will concede. When dropping deep, I recommend no defensive options ticked on, and for much deeper you should tick on stand off, stay on feet, and perhaps play narrower too...

I agree mostly with beeje13, but I would advise against hassling and tight marking when dropping deep. You will be standing further away from opponents, so those two options will drag your defence out of position and you will concede. When dropping deep, I recommend no defensive options ticked on, and for much deeper you should tick on stand off, stay on feet, and perhaps play narrower too...

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful :)

Not related to tactics at all, but can anyone link me an FM Story here that has taken a Skrill South side to the Premier League successfully? Haven't seen any.

Not related to tactics at all, but can anyone link me an FM Story here that has taken a Skrill South side to the Premier League successfully? Haven't seen any.
dont have story for ya, but its wel possible. Started from Skill south with Weston super Mare, with youth challenge by giving max facilities.

Took me 7 seasons and im sitting in PL - no signings,all my yth products :)

dont have story for ya, but its wel possible. Started from Skill south with Weston super Mare, with youth challenge by giving max facilities.

Took me 7 seasons and im sitting in PL - no signings,all my yth products :)

I know it's possible, but I really want to find a story to read through :/

Playing Borussia Dortmund, currently in 14/15 season.
Most of the times my team dominates their opponent however I noticed that if they start to get under pressure then they could collapse completely.
For example I would go for 2-0 at 60 minutes to 3-2 at the end. Happened several times this season. While surely the collapse was aided by me resting the tired key players when the match seems to be over their subs are only slightly worse.

I do have a team average age of 24.05, could this be the reason or should I take a much closer look on my players / tactic ?
View attachment 354934

Last edited:
Playing Borussio Dortmund, currently in 14/15 season.
Most of the times my team dominates their opponent however I noticed that if they start to get under pressure then they could collapse completely.
For example I would go for 2-0 at 60 minutes to 3-2 at the end. Happened several times this season. While surely the collapse was aided by me resting the tired key players when the match seems to be over their subs are only slightly worse.

I do have a team average age of 24.05, could this be the reason or should I take a much closer look on my players / tactic ?

Players and tactic. Players might not have good concentration/composure, and you might have your tactics on too attacking after you've won the game. You say you try and go for 2-0, and it ends up 3-2, instead of going more attacking, do the opposite. Once you have a one goal lead, you can lower the mentality, from attacking to control or control to standard, or even to counter. After all, you no longer NEED to attack, they do. Sometimes, lowering your mentality can lead to more and better goal scoring opportunities.

I meant I ended up losing 2 - 3 instead.
Yes, usually I would go for Counter mentality with drop deeper shouts when ahead and time is 60 minutes or more.
In fact many times I often go for Counter except when I outclass the opponent and playing at home.

can anyone tell me if all these tactics that are mostly build in the career game if they will work just as good in classic mode???
i play classic mode a lot because dont have the time for the full game these days, but i am really struggling with tactics. even with some of the one's here on this website.
thanks

can anyone tell me if all these tactics that are mostly build in the career game if they will work just as good in classic mode???
i play classic mode a lot because dont have the time for the full game these days, but i am really struggling with tactics. even with some of the one's here on this website.
thanks

It's the same ME so tactics will "work" in both. If anything, it may be easier initially in FMC because there is no tactical familiarity.

Does assigning a scout to observe a player directly in a match results in more accurate scouting report ?
The more game (up to 3) the more accurate the report will be ?

I'm wondering cos most of the time I dont see a difference between scouting directly or just looking at the report card.

2 years ago,PSg landed beckham. in Psg match agints barcelona,they have just 2 central midfield, matuidi and beckham. I see in this match, many times matuidi run forward and beckham stay deep. later,beckham run wide to right position and matuidi stays deep

in FM, seems imposible to do that combination, 2 midfield made forward run ,but not both run forward,just one run,and another cover, in different ways.

I only know how to made 1 midfield run forward while another cover,cannot do both interchangable

anybody know how to?

thanks.

Please can anyone tell me the correct Player Instructions to create an Inside Forward from a Wide Midfielder; thanks.