The " I have a small question" thread FM14

My team's currently training two tactics, which are completely different to each other. If I were to train a third tactic, one which is very similar to one of the two already being trained, would that have the same effect as training a completely different tactic? That is to say, does the speed of tactic training depend on how similar the tactics are to each other, as well as how many tactics there are?

Is it a bad idea to use the "Play Wider" along with "Exploit The Middle"? The "Play Wider" seems to instruct players to stretch the opposition, so that the defence has to move out of their comfort zone. Wouldn't this imply that there will be more space in the middle of the pitch, as their full backs and wingers are forced to stay wide in order to cover my wingers?

Haven't tried it out yet, but I have a feeling the "Play Wider" is "supposed" to be used with the "Exploit The Flanks". But if it stretches the opposition wider, then like I said, shouldn't there be more room to exploit in the middle?

Is it a bad idea to use the "Play Wider" along with "Exploit The Middle"? The "Play Wider" seems to instruct players to stretch the opposition, so that the defence has to move out of their comfort zone. Wouldn't this imply that there will be more space in the middle of the pitch, as their full backs and wingers are forced to stay wide in order to cover my wingers?

Haven't tried it out yet, but I have a feeling the "Play Wider" is "supposed" to be used with the "Exploit The Flanks". But if it stretches the opposition wider, then like I said, shouldn't there be more room to exploit in the middle?
Is it a conflicting instruction? If it's a bad idea, I don't think the game let's you choose contrasting instructions like those (when you select one, it deselects the other) - I'm not 100% sure, though.

can somebody make a guide on how to upload pictures? everytime i try to use the insert image here i get the screen full of the image :/
i tried to use online links to upload sites to but i cant seem to figure out how to do it.

halp?

I'm struggling a bit to create a good tactic... could someone tell me if it's more important to build a coherent system or to have each player at his best position/role?

Last edited:
small question

have they got rid of passing style and tackling(hard tackling/soft tackling) from tactics

I'm struggling a bit to create a good tactic... could someone tell me if it's more important to build a coherent system or to have each player at his best position/role?
This question's pretty subjective, to be honest, I doubt there's a definitive answer.

have they got rid of passing style and tackling(hard tackling/soft tackling) from tactics
No. I'm not sure if it's still in Team Instructions, but it's definitely in individual Player Instructions.

Sorry to sound like an idiot but how do you actually upload a tactic to here for people to download?

Can someone give me an idea of a team or player in real life that plays a half back?

From the description, i'm hoping to work an idea where i can play a LB / CB / RB, with the fullback attacking down the line and 2 half backs in front who will drop in to make a back 3 when this happens? if possible? Kinda like the inside forwards becoming your 3 man attack at the other end in the Chelsea system is you see my idea? Thing the engine would cope with this? TheBetterhalf and Raiken i'm looking at you two for answers here?

Got a question not really tactic related, but didn't see the point in making a whole new thread.

In FM13 there was some kind of career stats overview, where you could see various info about your managing career, including games played, win ratio, total transfer spend/income etc. When I go to my own profile, I get the career stats at the bottom of the screen, but the info here is very limited. Been looking around but can't seem to find it, so if anyone knows where it's hiding I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: Of course, 5 secs after I post this I found it... Nothing to see here, move along.

Got a tactic related question. I'm playing quite well with my 4-2-3-1 "deep", when using a control setting.

But when I try playing it with "counter" and playing narrow, lower tempo and more direct passing I play terrible. Do you guys play control home and away with same instructions if that is your first choise?

Can someone give me an idea of a team or player in real life that plays a half back?

From the description, i'm hoping to work an idea where i can play a LB / CB / RB, with the fullback attacking down the line and 2 half backs in front who will drop in to make a back 3 when this happens? if possible? Kinda like the inside forwards becoming your 3 man attack at the other end in the Chelsea system is you see my idea? Thing the engine would cope with this? TheBetterhalf and Raiken i'm looking at you two for answers here?

Busquets - Does he really drop behind Pique & Whoever though, surely he plays as an Achor man mroe than this Half Back thing?

Not to do with tactics, but training, wasn't sure where to post it really.

Just wondering if the ability to develop a player's weaker foot was a new feature, and whether training it caused a player's preferred foot to develop from Right Only >> Right, as an example. The only reason I ask is because it's under the PPM training menu?

I would like just to ask a couple of questions. Why can't you put your winger to "cut inside with ball" in this fm?. I just don't understand why that option is blocked. Also why it's impossible to have your playmaker making risky passes? I just think that tactics turned a curve for the worse. In this fm tactical options are way too limited...

I would like just to ask a couple of questions. Why can't you put your winger to "cut inside with ball" in this fm?. I just don't understand why that option is blocked. Also why it's impossible to have your playmaker making risky passes? I just think that tactics turned a curve for the worse. In this fm tactical options are way too limited...

The reason why you can't ask your playmaker to make risky passes is because a playmaker already has that as a natural instruction. The same reason why you for example cant ask a defensive midfielder with a defensive duty to stay in position. So when you pick a player for a playmaker role, he will automatically play risky passes.

If you play with inside forwards on the wing they will cut inside.

I get why it seems like it's more limited, but in fact it's the opposite. Will just take some time to get over the "classic" system :)

The reason why you can't ask your playmaker to make risky passes is because a playmaker already has that as a natural instruction. The same reason why you for example cant ask a defensive midfielder with a defensive duty to stay in position. So when you pick a player for a playmaker role, he will automatically play risky passes.

If you play with inside forwards on the wing they will cut inside.

I get why it seems like it's more limited, but in fact it's the opposite. Will just take some time to get over the "classic" system :)

Thanks for the reply. I kinda get that the playmaker has that option blocked because of the reason that you mentioned. But i still don't understand why can't a winger cut inside. Back in fm 2013 one of my wingers (the right one with preferred right foot) would hug the line and the other (the left one with left preferred foot) would cut inside in order to unbalance the oposite team. That worked great. I've always seen the inside foward as a wide man that plays in the side of the pitch opposite to his preferred foot. A player whose primary focus is to score goals and not make assists. I want my winger still assisting my target man. Well, things are as they are now... But i think that will not get used to this fm. PS: sorry for my bad english

Hi there, i'm trying to develop a formation made up by 3CB and two WB with attack duties. I wanted my central CB to keep his position, and the other two to play wider in order to cover up the space left behind by the two wingbacks. How could I set them? I've been thinking of Cb with Cover duties..

PS - Should I play with a high defensive line or not?

Thanks in advance for your answer.