The " I have a small question" thread FM14

I have a question in regards to player's and their roles/duties. If I make a formation based off player's best roles an their specific duty, is this a smart idea?

It's a smart idea but not always smart and not best. Setting formation is also depending to your opponent's tactics, and how familiar your squad with your formations. :)

You can set each player to master a position or role, take a look at individual training section. ;)

I need help.....:-/ I have two stickers in lukaku and mitrovic and they just cant score, between them 15 games without scoring?

Please help. My formation is 4231.

Are their stats good at finishing?
Also, check at your middlefielders who give them ball supplies, do they supply the ball often?
Are they happy in the squad?

Check your tactics and give each player with proper playing roles and use your match instruction.
e.g. Giving the MR or ML a winger duty so they supply the ball by their ball crossing.

There are still a lot of aspects you have to pay attention. :D

I have a few stupid questions. How do I set up my tactic so that my players will always mark a specific player? For instance, I want my fullbacks to mark their wingers, my wingers to mark their fullbacks, and my defensive midfielder to shut down their playmaker.

Another tactics question. If I play to play deep and counter, do I want my players to stand off inviting the opposition in, or do I want to press and tackle hard? What if I'm playing a normal attacking style where I'm the favorite?

Last edited:
Is FMC-instant result considered a 'proper' way of testing a tactic or does it fall in the same category as 'Holidaying'?

when to use "higher tempo" or even "much higher tempo"? do you use it when you have players with high pace an acceleration or what's the main reason to consider?

when to use "higher tempo" or even "much higher tempo"? do you use it when you have players with high pace an acceleration or what's the main reason to consider?

With quick players it would be more pass into space, though the high tempo could also work well there.

High tempo is for when you want the ball to be moved quickly from defence to attack. Don't want your defence to lose the ball near your area? Their midfield is stronger than yours? They commit many players to attack and they're undermanned in defence at the start of your attacks? Are some of the questions relevant. There surely are some more (like I just think on are your players good passing the ball? Good holding it?)

i'm using my own pellegrini's 4-4-2 (adjustable to 4-2-4 against weaker teams). im 8 game unbeaten in my season and have only lost once in the CL. but i have a serious problem. most results have been great. 4-1s and 3-0s. but i was shocked i beat chelsea on my last match 7-0. the problem you ask? my strikers cannot score. Aguero's season average is 6.53 and Negredo is 5.98. (Dzeko 7.12 without goals and Jovetic injured) they can't score at all with aguero only scoring a penalty once and doing a few assists. what should i do? most my goals have come from my wingers (silva, nasri) with yaya toure long shots and kolarov free kicks. if someone can link up a page for me for making CCC for strikers or anything that can solve this issue i would appreciate it. (just went on holiday for 10 more matches and only dzeko scored twice in 10 matches.) help?

Does it makes sense to use two Registas? Actually thinking about a tactic with 3 DMs (one HB, two Registas) but I'm not sure whether that makes sense. As far as I understood right the Regista is kinda DLP-BBM-hybrid right?
If that's the case I'd prefer that role in a 3 men midfield to the role of the DLP that holds position and sits in the DM...

Greetings guys. a quick one. do u necessarily and always train your players individually in the positions they play in your tactics? for example the game says mata n januzaj are trequarstitas. but you play januzaj as a winger and mata as an advanced playmaker. so is it necessarily to train them in those roles respectively? same with kagawa. playing him as a left winger but clearly an adp. or u can train them in their respective report positions. same with rooney, rvp n welbeck. if u play rooney as a target man should u train him as one or just use complete forward. thanks

Probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway... What effect does the level of fluidity actually have? I did have a great run of games with MUFC, playing a 4-2-3-1, attacking and very fluid. Beat City 7-0 at home, Leeds 11-0 at home in the FA, and Swansea 5-1 away, to mention a few.. Had great success with RvP and Rafael, both scoring aand assisting loads, but my trio Rooney, Kagawa and Mata behind RvP did not contribute the way I want.. I have tried to rotating them, and using different roles (Treq, SS, AM and AP) both attacking and supp.
Then I read something about special player roles, and that these roles doesn't apply with a very fluid mentality, since the players do not follow assigned duties and roles..?

Any thoughts on this?

Probably a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway... What effect does the level of fluidity actually have? I did have a great run of games with MUFC, playing a 4-2-3-1, attacking and very fluid. Beat City 7-0 at home, Leeds 11-0 at home in the FA, and Swansea 5-1 away, to mention a few.. Had great success with RvP and Rafael, both scoring aand assisting loads, but my trio Rooney, Kagawa and Mata behind RvP did not contribute the way I want.. I have tried to rotating them, and using different roles (Treq, SS, AM and AP) both attacking and supp.
Then I read something about special player roles, and that these roles doesn't apply with a very fluid mentality, since the players do not follow assigned duties and roles..?

Any thoughts on this?

Not stupid at all, it seems it's not clear and fluidity is not what the text in the tactic creator says.

Over the SI forums there's a thread that was highly praised by Cleon81 as the definite answer to that. Link to the Mentality ladder thread

Two questions regarding the regista:
1st: what's the difference between a regista and a DLP/S placed in DM?
2nd: why i creativity not higlighted as key attribute? Most people cite Pirlo as example for a regista, and in my opinion his creativity is the most important aspect of his game, not?

A regista is (in my opinion) more of a ball winning midfielder who will keep the ball moving a lot, and he'll generally dictate tempo, however, baring counterattacks, he doesn't really look to carve out opportunities, but just keep the ball moving and keep it away from the opposition. For example, on my newcastle save, I have a regista in Vurnon Anita, and he has averaged 100 + passes each game, with, in the last 12 games, 1 key pass and 0 assists. They don't play exquisite passes like a deep lying playmaker, they just keep the ball moving and with their own team. Pirlo is more of a deep lying playmaker than a regista in my opinion, and the best regista I can think of is probably someone like Busquets (although he's more of a half back), who doesn't often get forward, but very rarely loses possession.

As for the second, basically the first part. Creativity isn't a major part of their game. Composure and Passing and Technique and Decisions are. But not creativity, because they're not looking to play 50 yard balls for a striker to score an easy opportunity. If you want that, go with a DLP instead.

I wanted to know that the tactics works both for the original and classic as same with same results??? Or they have some differences as i have always seen that tactics are made in original saves and not in classic

This has probably been asked a lot of times before, but what is the best "plug-in and play" tactic on here right now?

Cheers

I love that formation but for the purpose of the game I switch to a 4-4-2 ( 2 central mids with 2 inside fwds and upfront a TM and poacher). With this formation both ST's seem to score often and assist often to each other. Doesn't matter what save it is, i often have 2 strikers competing against each other for the golden ball. Both usually around 17-22 league goals and 10-15 assists.