The " I have a small question" thread FM14

What are the best role combinations in a 4-4-2 with two smallish fast strikers?

what is best target aim for full backs,my team instruction is drill crosses and I have 2 strikers in front.

what is best target aim for full backs,my team instruction is drill crosses and I have 2 strikers in front.

i generally aim for the centre as there usually is a marauding striker or AMC sprinting forward for the tap or head in. or if you use a targetman, aim for targetman.

i generally aim for the centre as there usually is a marauding striker or AMC sprinting forward for the tap or head in. or if you use a targetman, aim for targetman.

I am fighting for title in first season with Stoke so every chep goal will help me.

do your full backs cross from deep or byline

do your full backs do plenty assists per season

yup, and score too, Baines got 35 assists and 15 goals in my first season with everton. Aslong as they are fast, have decent decision making and crossing attributes, tackling too, you'll be set.

yup, and score too, Baines got 35 assists and 15 goals in my first season with everton. Aslong as they are fast, have decent decision making and crossing attributes, tackling too, you'll be set.

In my Stoke team full backs are Tripier and Pieters,they have high average rating but they don't assist.

Tripier have average 7.45 and after 13 games he dont have any asist even he play full back atack.

In my Stoke team full backs are Tripier and Pieters,they have high average rating but they don't assist.

Tripier have average 7.45 and after 13 games he dont have any asist even he play full back atack.

fullback support is better in my view.

Didn't really want to make a thread about this but playing as Barca & trying to play the way they do irl. One of the problems I've come across is they shoot from stupid angles etc & I've got player instructions to shoot less, so they will try and cut it back but doesn't seem to work.. any ideas how to get them pass more than shoot? Without teaching them as a preferred move. Second question is more a defensive one
icon_smile.gif
I have plenty of shots but they will have at max 2-3 shots but score at least 1 or 2,Am I being really unlucky with that or can I cut it out ?
Any feedback appreciated

1 That doesn't have a simple, set answer. You have to look carefully at each time they do that and determine why they would be doing that. Is it because every team mate is far away from them? Is it because they're all closely marked and hence not valid passing options? Is it because they're wanting a through ball but the defence isn't letting a space for them to try it? Are they in a situation where normally they'd be wanting to cross the ball but there's nobody in the area to get to the cross? Maybe there are defenders to block any of the crosses he could consider?. Depending on the cause, you may be wanting to make someone of the players that are deeper to be more offensive or run forward more, someone who does run forward not to do it so much and stay deeper, play wider, not always cross from byline, play narrower, increase length of passes, a combination of some of them...

2 Counter attacks? If so, play with a deeper defensive line or less offensive team mentality.

whats the deal with tactics being less/more effective in different patchs?

can anyone explain why the **** i have 35 shots in a match 15 on target 5ccc's and yet only score 1 and draw when at home? what the actual ****? how on earth is that possible? many people say that this game is realistic but in terms of the tactics it doesn't make sense. i would understand if it happened after every 7 games as normally in real life you don't always have the best results but almost game in game out i get these stupid results and i'm not the only one. this absolutely infuriates me. surely by now si should have fixed this

it seems like the game picks out specific teams that no matter what you do you will not win against these teams

can anyone explain why the **** i have 35 shots in a match 15 on target 5ccc's and yet only score 1 and draw when at home? what the actual ****? how on earth is that possible? many people say that this game is realistic but in terms of the tactics it doesn't make sense. i would understand if it happened after every 7 games as normally in real life you don't always have the best results but almost game in game out i get these stupid results and i'm not the only one. this absolutely infuriates me. surely by now si should have fixed this

(I use once or twice the word "shallow" to speak about tactical thinking. When I use it, it may not be the exact word I'd want to use, but it's the one I know. English isn't my native language. I just want to clarify, because I think there's a chance for that misunderstanding to happen, that in no way I'm intending to imply dumbness, just "reaching the first layer of tactical considerations").

Research some real footbal matchesl, please. Do a search of upsets and you'll see plenty of that. I haven't looked much football, but Real Madrid has had plenty of that. Manchester City had one early this season, I think it was against Cardiff.

What you have to do is get away from the myths created by thinking "shallow" on tactics and call any shot a chance. A shot from 35 yards out with five defenders in between would appear as shot, maybe on target, but would hardly be a chance to be counted as worth anything. So having 35 means nothing if they're mostly from far distances of close with a defender on top or from a very, very narrow angle, whereas having a few chances from counter attacks making 1vs1's or finding unmarked players would be worth much more than a crapload of shots made in frustration or poor positions.

Also, I'm not quite sure the game reports CCC's chances quite right. I suspect they're just considered by angle and distance, so they're quite not right. There's shots that are actually sitters that don't count as CCC's and other that should be counted as poor that are. I once had a player shoot with two defenders right in front with barely space to get the ball through that was counted as CCC and another from 20 with the goalie out of the area not counted as such. As a curiosity, 95% of my teams' goals come from half chances and is very rare to score a CCC. Usually, the higher CCC count in a match for me, the worse my results are.

Playing attacking isn't setting everything to attack (not claiming you do that, but it's a suspicion I have from seeing someone else's video that many people just work like this), filling the opposite field with an overabundance of players doesn't mean better and more attacks, means more congestion, less space and more shots of the frustrated kind, which tied with small teams that work on counterattacking and closing down space just works into their hands. And less players behind to stop their counters.

And, obviously, if you play into the hands of counter attacking sides, there will be sides who have squads very well fit to counter attacking play and they will constantly rip apart teams set up in a way that makes them vulnerable to counter attacks for as long as they do. If it's not counter attack the style of play leading to your rivals' goals change counter attack to whatever is the case.

There's need to keep players deeper to change to the defence and restrict the rivals' chances for counter attacks, have players that don't go all the way in front to give options for passes to keep possession when the player with the ball sees not good options to progress forward and then look for new angles of attack, as well as to leave space free for the players ahead to move into and offer themselves for a pass or have space to run onto for it so that player with the ball does have options for passing, avoiding to make all the players be too eager to think offensively to the point as soon there's no obvious choice to continue the pay they shoot, or they try a through ball when the striker has not yet gained a favourable situation to get into a shooting position free of mark...

In tactics, many times, the immediate answer given by "shallow" logic is the wrong answer. Example: say I'm playing control and my team isn't breaking the enemy's defence, there would be many instances in which the answer to get forward more efficiently isn't to change control to attacking, but instead change to counter. Be more defensive, invite them to get forward and that way when you get the ball they'll be starting their defence with less players behind the ball and with more spaces for your team to exploit.

What you have to do is not complain, but watch the matches with calm and think what may be leading to that. Lack of players close or in good positions to pass to? Lack of holes for through balls? Players too eager to attack? Too many players attacking? Too few? Not enough behind to stop a counter? More than are needed? Try to think consequences of each instructions. And when you think you've got them, keep looking for more, specially if none of them makes you go "well, this is the opposite I would have thought when I first got into football" yet.

When I began in FM05 I was also annoyed by things like that, and 1on1's against me seeming to have more success than those for me; but as time passed and I managed to get the annoyance aside and begin to really think about the tactics and to be more attentive to what the matches showed (preferably watching them full), I began to pick up the reasons why those 1on1 against me were having so much success and mine were not so much. I began to change my tactics setup according to those observations, and then the 1on1's against my team stopped being so efficient, and mine started to work better until both were alike, even started to get the advantage. I began to get good seasons, started to earn promotions and go up from lower divisions. And then I began to inflict to the AI what you're getting from the AI, and it's quite enjoyable when I beat Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atl?tico in my first season on Primera with Burgos CF in FM10 with them having 20+ shots and I 3-5 with 1-2 on target.

A big recommendation to get into the right mentality and improve your game without the annoyances of losing with big(ish) teams: go lower league. You don't need to go as low as Skrill. Pick a mid table League One or League Two team, one that you know can't hope to get success by going all offensive every match, one that realistically would be able to play a few matches offensively but surely would need to be defensive in more than a few, who sometimes will need to battle for just a draw; but not so low in its league that survival would be expected to be a tough tast. A team expected to finish 9-15th is what I'd choose.

(I use once or twice the word "shallow" to speak about tactical thinking. When I use it, it may not be the exact word I'd want to use, but it's the one I know. English isn't my native language. I just want to clarify, because I think there's a chance for that misunderstanding to happen, that in no way I'm intending to imply dumbness, just "reaching the first layer of tactical considerations").

Research some real footbal matchesl, please. Do a search of upsets and you'll see plenty of that. I haven't looked much football, but Real Madrid has had plenty of that. Manchester City had one early this season, I think it was against Cardiff.

What you have to do is get away from the myths created by thinking "shallow" on tactics and call any shot a chance. A shot from 35 yards out with five defenders in between would appear as shot, maybe on target, but would hardly be a chance to be counted as worth anything. So having 35 means nothing if they're mostly from far distances of close with a defender on top or from a very, very narrow angle, whereas having a few chances from counter attacks making 1vs1's or finding unmarked players would be worth much more than a crapload of shots made in frustration or poor positions.

Also, I'm not quite sure the game reports CCC's chances quite right. I suspect they're just considered by angle and distance, so they're quite not right. There's shots that are actually sitters that don't count as CCC's and other that should be counted as poor that are. I once had a player shoot with two defenders right in front with barely space to get the ball through that was counted as CCC and another from 20 with the goalie out of the area not counted as such. As a curiosity, 95% of my teams' goals come from half chances and is very rare to score a CCC. Usually, the higher CCC count in a match for me, the worse my results are.

Playing attacking isn't setting everything to attack (not claiming you do that, but it's a suspicion I have from seeing someone else's video that many people just work like this), filling the opposite field with an overabundance of players doesn't mean better and more attacks, means more congestion, less space and more shots of the frustrated kind, which tied with small teams that work on counterattacking and closing down space just works into their hands. And less players behind to stop their counters.

And, obviously, if you play into the hands of counter attacking sides, there will be sides who have squads very well fit to counter attacking play and they will constantly rip apart teams set up in a way that makes them vulnerable to counter attacks for as long as they do. If it's not counter attack the style of play leading to your rivals' goals change counter attack to whatever is the case.

There's need to keep players deeper to change to the defence and restrict the rivals' chances for counter attacks, have players that don't go all the way in front to give options for passes to keep possession when the player with the ball sees not good options to progress forward and then look for new angles of attack, as well as to leave space free for the players ahead to move into and offer themselves for a pass or have space to run onto for it so that player with the ball does have options for passing, avoiding to make all the players be too eager to think offensively to the point as soon there's no obvious choice to continue the pay they shoot, or they try a through ball when the striker has not yet gained a favourable situation to get into a shooting position free of mark...

In tactics, many times, the immediate answer given by "shallow" logic is the wrong answer. Example: say I'm playing control and my team isn't breaking the enemy's defence, there would be many instances in which the answer to get forward more efficiently isn't to change control to attacking, but instead change to counter. Be more defensive, invite them to get forward and that way when you get the ball they'll be starting their defence with less players behind the ball and with more spaces for your team to exploit.

What you have to do is not complain, but watch the matches with calm and think what may be leading to that. Lack of players close or in good positions to pass to? Lack of holes for through balls? Players too eager to attack? Too many players attacking? Too few? Not enough behind to stop a counter? More than are needed? Try to think consequences of each instructions. And when you think you've got them, keep looking for more, specially if none of them makes you go "well, this is the opposite I would have thought when I first got into football" yet.

When I began in FM05 I was also annoyed by things like that, and 1on1's against me seeming to have more success than those for me; but as time passed and I managed to get the annoyance aside and begin to really think about the tactics and to be more attentive to what the matches showed (preferably watching them full), I began to pick up the reasons why those 1on1 against me were having so much success and mine were not so much. I began to change my tactics setup according to those observations, and then the 1on1's against my team stopped being so efficient, and mine started to work better until both were alike, even started to get the advantage. I began to get good seasons, started to earn promotions and go up from lower divisions. And then I began to inflict to the AI what you're getting from the AI, and it's quite enjoyable when I beat Barcelona, Real Madrid and Atl?tico in my first season on Primera with Burgos CF in FM10 with them having 20+ shots and I 3-5 with 1-2 on target.

A big recommendation to get into the right mentality and improve your game without the annoyances of losing with big(ish) teams: go lower league. You don't need to go as low as Skrill. Pick a mid table League One or League Two team, one that you know can't hope to get success by going all offensive every match, one that realistically would be able to play a few matches offensively but surely would need to be defensive in more than a few, who sometimes will need to battle for just a draw; but not so low in its league that survival would be expected to be a tough tast. A team expected to finish 9-15th is what I'd choose.
of course i understand this happens but not as often as it does on the game as i pointed out in my post.... i watch football, analyse tactics and i understand how they work thats why i play this game im not one of those people that just plug in and hope that all will be well... so before you waste time to type up a pointless long paragraph read what i posted and then respond to my post!
let me clarify my point again... this game infuriates me because of what happens after every couple of games where i boss the match and end up losing 1-0... please point out for me which team big team loses 1-0 after every couple of weeks (literally every couple of weeks not more not less) despite dominating the match.... i can understand if it happens around 5-7 times in a season but more than that it doesn't make sense... especially if i have one of the best squads in the league

The post was read and nothing was different from the many complaints from the plug and play crowds of "fixing", "supergoalies", "I won 23 matches then lost against ****** Arsenal" (this last is for humour but was real) etc, so no reason to not give the standard answer.

If you're not one of them then I have no advice.

But since we're at this, there's one thing I've never tried, as I immediately sell them: how do you keep the players who are unhappy for lack of European football?

Last edited:
Just a quick question on pairing the attack.

I plan on playing with a pair of wing backs, 2 BBMs and then 2 AMC's and a striker. I was thinking of going DLF and SS, but I'm curious what the other AMC should be? Would an Enganche work to link the BBMs and the SS/DLF? Or should I just go with an AM or AP on support?

The post was read and nothing was different from the many complaints from the plug and play crowds of "fixing", "supergoalies", "I won 23 matches then lost against ****** Arsenal" (this last is for humour but was real) etc, so no reason to not give the standard answer.

If you're not one of them then I have no advice.

But since we're at this, there's one thing I've never tried, as I immediately sell them: how do you keep the players who are unhappy for lack of European football?

Some of them just try to force a move during a transfer window, so if they're pretty important you can usually keep hold of them on the off chance they change their mind and want to stay, usually if you're playing well though.

In order to have better chances to develop the youngsters, what is better to load, more countres/less levels or more levels/less countries? Say for Premier or Championship team.