The <insert "cool" name> Sweeper 3-5-2 System

I also started a save with WBA. I pretty much sold the entire team before the season, and replaced them with either cheap veterans or really inexperienced youngsters. I kept Brunt because he was hurt and couldn't be sold, Yacob because I couldn't get a good price for him, Ollson and Tamas because I needed guys to pay the sweeper position, and Foster because he was better than the other keeper options. I finished in 7th and qualified for the euro cup, although I think I lost in the 3rd round of both cups. My starting 11 generally looked like this:

GK Foster
SW Ollson
CB Bellusci Alderweireld
DLP Gonnalons
ML Brunt
MR Corchia
B2B Maher
BWM Yacob
P Achabar and later Djurovic on loan
TM Lukaku

Other promising younsters I brought in were Jon Williams, Will Hughes, Matthias Ostrzolek, Zakaria Bakkali, Agustin Allione, and Luke Shaw. This season I brought in Goretzka, Timo Werner, Andy Carroll on loan, Bendtner on loan, Capoue, Ferreyra, Ospina on a free, Djourou, Battaglia on a free, and a bunch of regens. I'm currently in early November of season two and sitting in 8th, although I've already had to play at Chelsea, at Liverpool, at Newcastle, and home against Utd and Spurs, so I think this position is fine considering the schedule. I've won all three euro cup games at Dynamo Kiev, at Heracles, and home against APOEL. Lost at home on penalties against Sunderland with my backups.

Here is my current starting 11, with the backups listed in parenthesis.

GK Ospina (regen backup)
SW Olson (Tamas)
CB Bellusci Alderweireld (Djourou)
DLP Gonalons (Hughes)
ML Ostrzolek (Shaw)
MR Corchia (Allione)
B2B Maher (Williams)
BWM Capoue (Battagli)
P Ferreyra (Achabar)
TM Carrol (Bentner)

After this season I really need a permanent target man but it's tough to find them since that position isn't really popular right now. Carrol wanted big wages on a transfer so I'm paying 56k/week and 65k/month to loan him for the year. Bendtner wanted even bigger wages so I'm loaning him for 85k/month and paying him 42k/week on loan.

Last edited:
View attachment 318914
i had a few injurys and never had the depth in my squad to keep the challenge going, but getting into europe in the first season is massive for WBA (H)

Impressive :)

Hopefully you will be able to add some squad depth for your european challenge. It's a pretty demanding tactic for players so some rotation will be needed for the extra matches you will be facing. Wingbacks make good options for the defensive winger roles.

After this season I really need a permanent target man but it's tough to find them since that position isn't really popular right now. Carrol wanted big wages on a transfer so I'm paying 56k/week and 65k/month to loan him for the year. Bendtner wanted even bigger wages so I'm loaning him for 85k/month and paying him 42k/week on loan.

Have a look at post 288 by kingz98 On page 29 of JPWoodys Conte Style (3-5-2) tactic which was the inspiration behind this tactic. kingz98 has posted a few target man options there which may help :)

well started my new season and first 10 games w5 d3 l2 f23 a14 so its doing very well for a lower league club will report back after 20games

Still had trouble scoring goals. played like 15 games and scored 14 goals. To be fair I was 2nd with Leicester, but I hated winning 1-0 XD

hi m8. I m a SW-Libero lover too bcuz of Baeckenbauer:) of course it s not like his role in your tactic but my dortmund side is knocking opps down. just a question if you experienced;
I am getting red card sometimes not bcuz of players or tactic only germna league refs are so strict. What should i do which position needs to be subbed when i have 10 left??

hi m8. I m a SW-Libero lover too bcuz of Baeckenbauer:) of course it s not like his role in your tactic but my dortmund side is knocking opps down. just a question if you experienced;
I am getting red card sometimes not bcuz of players or tactic only germna league refs are so strict. What should i do which position needs to be subbed when i have 10 left??

Take off the Poacher, leave the target man on and move his position slightly so he is set as Striker (Centre).

Update: Finished my second season with WBA. Finished 4th in the league, won FA cup, lost Euro cup round of 16 on penalties to MUtd. Also having some trouble scoring goals, but defensively it's very good. I also went through the season with Andy Carrol and Nicklas Bendtner as my Target men, and had 19 year old Achabar as my poacher for half the season. This season I've signed Suarez, so I'll change his role from TM to DLP. If I still don't get goals I'll worry.

I thought about making TM a DLP also. Let me know how that goes please.

Loving this tactic - it deserves more attention!

I'm Newcastle, mid way through december in the 1st season, 19 games in and I'm currently sitting joint 1st.

Followed all the instructions in the OP and it works beautifully - big credit where it's due!

View attachment 320138

can anyone tell me which pitch size are u using?
The bigger the better. The tactic is based on a wide formation using a high tempo short passing style. Just make sure you have players for it ;)

Loving this tactic - it deserves more attention!

I'm Newcastle, mid way through december in the 1st season, 19 games in and I'm currently sitting joint 1st.

Followed all the instructions in the OP and it works beautifully - big credit where it's due!

View attachment 320138

Good to see it working for you. Hopefully the second half of the season will be just as good.

I've been experimenting some more with the wingers - if you think they are starting to underperform at all, you could try unticking their "move into channels" instruction so that it defaults back to "mixed". Don't change anything if you are happy with them though ;)

herne79 did u try this tactic with some lower league team... can anyone write some good cheap players who are suitable with this tactic

herne79 did u try this tactic with some lower league team... can anyone write some good cheap players who are suitable with this tactic

No I didn't try it with a lower league team, I didn't think it would work too well - although others here seem to be having some success so I'm glad to be proven wrong :)

As I didn't initially consider low league teams, I also haven't considered players for such teams, so sorry I can't help you there.

great tactic indeed!

I've just started a fresh season with Marseille. I've played 9 games in the championship, won 8, lost 1 (the 1st one), scored 22, conceded 3 (only!! 6 games in a raw without conceding any goal).
Europa cup has given the same kind of resuts so far, played 3, 7points, scored 7, conceded 1 (against crappy teams).

Also, great ball possession (usually above 55%, I've just noticed 2 games under 50%), tons of shoots, and the team is playing a very nice football.

I haven't authorized transfers for the first season, but I did some tweaks through FMRTE (Configuring Omrani to be a future Kweuke, and configuring a regen to have the same stats than Zouma). I know it's cheating, but I think it doesn't unbalance the results I've posted that much, as most of time you just try to buy them in any fresh start with authorized transfers.

So congratulation to Herne79 and all the talented persons who have inspired him on that 3-5-2 tactic, and tyvm for giving me back some fun with this <no more boring> FM :)