The <insert "cool" name> Sweeper 3-5-2 System

Finished my first season as Newcastle - won the double - Premiership & Europa League!

I have tried many many tactics from these forums, always give them a good test and this is by far the best tactic out there for FM13 on the latest patch.

Can't rate this tactic highly enough, if anyone wants any more screenshots please let me know.

Can't wait for the 2nd season!

View attachment 321496

Herne...I want to make this work but i've always been against a 3 CB formation because of exactly what i'm experiencing in my save in that how the heck do you stop the AI from exploiting all the space left behind from there being no FB's. I keep getting scored against on counter attacks that involve winger's. My DW's aren't back tracking deep enough which forces my CB's out wide leaving massive holes in the middle of my D. I've been using OI's because that seems to help much better than not using any at all but i'm still getting hit pretty good on counters.

Anyone have any advice?

Finished my first season as Newcastle - won the double - Premiership & Europa League!

I have tried many many tactics from these forums, always give them a good test and this is by far the best tactic out there for FM13 on the latest patch.

Can't rate this tactic highly enough, if anyone wants any more screenshots please let me know.

Can't wait for the 2nd season!

View attachment 321496

Good job Mike :)

Herne...I want to make this work but i've always been against a 3 CB formation because of exactly what i'm experiencing in my save in that how the heck do you stop the AI from exploiting all the space left behind from there being no FB's. I keep getting scored against on counter attacks that involve winger's. My DW's aren't back tracking deep enough which forces my CB's out wide leaving massive holes in the middle of my D. I've been using OI's because that seems to help much better than not using any at all but i'm still getting hit pretty good on counters.

Anyone have any advice?

TBH I am surprised. Playing with a Control mentality should mean you protect yourself (as far as possible anyway) from Counter Attacks. Are you still playing with a Control mentality or do you tweak it at all?

As for the DWs, again I am surprised. Mine hardly let anything past and are always tracking back. Which team are you playing as and who are your DWs? What PPMs are they assigned? The "get forward as often as possible" PPM would be a bad choice in this instance if you have it. Are you training them as DWs in the MR/ML positions? Also, it shouldn't just be the CBs providing cover - the DLP (defend), BWM and BBM should all join in as well. Are they all decent choices for their roles + individual training set up?

One other thought, changing the Wide Play instruction for the DWs from "Moves into channels" to "Normal" may also help - when testing, the 2 instructions were pretty close on results.

Hope that helps.

Like a few others, I was having trouble scoring goals (as Tottenham). I changed it from Control to Attack and I'm scoring often now and it hasn't made it any worse defensively either.

Anyone still using this tactic? I just got offered the juventus job in nov 2014 and thinking about using this.

Anyone still using this tactic? I just got offered the juventus job in nov 2014 and thinking about using this.
I always liked this tactic (well I would ;)) and Bonnucci will monster the sweeper role.

However I'd also recommend looking at either this tactic http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ure-attacking-tactic-top-teams-underdogs.html or one of the tweaked tactics found here http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...17428-arrigo-sacchis-4-4-2-tweaks-thread.html

Marchisio and Vidal in the 2 DM positions are excellent (make sure you set Vidal's tackling to "easy" however) with Asamoah on the left wing and either Pepe or Giaccherini on the right. De Ceglie is an excellent cover for Asamoah.

I have used both the original Arrigo Sacchi tactic and some of the tweaks with great result, just wanted to try a 3-5-2 with Juventus.
How does this compare to the Arrigo Sacchi tactics, does it still work on the last patch?

Currently in season 3 and counting almost 50 matchs unbeaten, winning every trophy except a second final of UCL against Man Utd.

Great, thanks for the quick answers. I will give it a go and see how it works out.

Herne79 I used your The Wingless 4-2-3-1 with Rosenborg in Norway and managed to reach the euro cup semi-final in my first season winning my group containing at.madrid, napoli and bursaspor and knocking out feyenoord, lyon and porto before PSG knocked me out with a 2-4 loss in Paris and a 1-0 win at home. No need to say I was cruising the Norwegian league and I only signed a few norwegian players.

I have used both the original Arrigo Sacchi tactic and some of the tweaks with great result, just wanted to try a 3-5-2 with Juventus.
How does this compare to the Arrigo Sacchi tactics, does it still work on the last patch?
It was created for the 13.3 patch, so yeh it works.

I've played both tactics as Juventus, and both gave me great results. Have a look at your Juve 2014/15 squad first and take it from there. In 2012, the Sweeper system is perfect with Pirlo in the DLP position and Marchisio / Vidal ahead of him, but by 2015 Pirlo will be a bit of a spent force and would need replacing. Pogba should be a great replacement for him if you still have him and if he has developed well.

Marrone for Pirlo it's the best bet, also Strootman is very good

This is the most underrated tactic for FM13!Thank you herne79 for the brilliant job that you've done :) Here is a screenshot to prove just how good this tactic is.First season with Lazio,demolishing Juventus is a pretty big deal :) Also Klose and Floccari as the attacking duo is f'n amazing!

View attachment 336372

77 matches unbeaten in Seria A and counting

I was looking for a tactic with a sweeper since I wanted to give an old school vibe to my "take Torino to the glory". then this happened:

View attachment 339189View attachment 339190

I'm not really happy with the defensive results, and I've been training Defense (High) / Def Set Pieces the entire season and still felt I was conceding to many goals on corners and free kicks. I need to give a look at the set pieces...

For the second season I lost almost the entire squad since a lot of them were co-property and loan so I had to rebuild everything and, well, debt the club for the next 5 years lol

View attachment 339199

Also been using the tactic on Vélez and it's simply unbeatable.

Hey m8, can you post a SS of your squad and trainning? I am playing with Lazio, only two transfers (Gonalons and Ricardo Carvalho), same tactic, but i'm struggling to win a game..
Thank you and sorry for my bad english!

This is the most underrated tactic for FM13!Thank you herne79 for the brilliant job that you've done :) Here is a screenshot to prove just how good this tactic is.First season with Lazio,demolishing Juventus is a pretty big deal :) Also Klose and Floccari as the attacking duo is f'n amazing!

View attachment 336372

Hey m8, can you post a SS of your squad and trainning? I am playing with Lazio, only two transfers (Gonalons and Ricardo Carvalho), same tactic, but i'm struggling to win a game..
Thank you and sorry for my bad english!

Of course.Here is my squad,transfers and training.Also,I was struggling with the tactic too,but after 4-5 matches it works like a charm and I have complete domination almost every match :)

View attachment 340025View attachment 340026 View attachment 340027 View attachment 340028

i had some very good results with this tactic. i can't post them now as i used this tactic for a brief period 1-2 seasons ago in my current save. i didn't think of commenting until recently, mostly because this is the tactic that opened my eyes to the beauty of defensive wingers. one reason why i didn't like this tactic was because it had a DLP when i had a bevy of AMCs (obviously not anyone's fault, as this tactic intends to replicate juve and juve play with pirlo as the playmaker). i ended up creating a new back-3 tactic that utilized an AM in place of the DLP.

before using this tactic i never knew how to implement that kind of defense. until now i had always assumed that defensive wingers would be far too attacking to use as defense on the flanks. so i always used either wide mids or wingbacks. widemidfielders had always been ineffective for me, and wingbacks were too defensive. but i was happy to learn that with defensive wingers you can clearly see them move up to the ST L+R positions when in the attacking phase, and back to the D L+R position when in the defensive phase. 18+ work rate definitely necessary!

furthermore, your use of "move into channels" as their wide play was a brilliant way to have them pose a more centralized threat when attacking. with both your tactic and the one i made (a 3-4-3ish 3-4-1-2 inspired by this one), the defensive wingers were able to move inside and score the occasional goal or thread a final ball to a striker. i've never been able to get fullbacks/wingbacks to pose a goalscoring threat until i had them "move into channels". kudos for that.

and this bit is kind of off-topic, but if you move a defensive winger to the opposite side you can play him as a so-called "inverted fullback". i moved asamoah to the midfield-right position, changed "move into channels" to "cut inside", "cross ball" to rarely, and "through balls" to often. they can do a lot more of what i mentioned earlier this way (that is, move inside and provide more goals+through balls, rather than just crosses like the typical attacking fullback does).

so yeah, sorry i couldn't provide more insightful feedback on the rest of the tactic. i just wanted to let everyone know how useful i thought the fullback instructions were! :>

Last edited: