The legendary formation 2-3-2-3 Total Football is here - Play it with Authority

Darkatdawn

Reaction score
As seen in FM 2011 Tactical Theorems&Frameworks

Dears friends,

I was reading FM 2011 Tactical Theorems&Frameworks yesterday and got hooked in those challenging formations from the past played by Ahead of their time Managers.

It reminded me of the awesomeness of Holland in the 80´s with the likes of Van Basten, Rijkaard and Gullit playing fearsome attacking football together.

When i saw the 2-3-2-3 formation, it immediately hit me the challenge the creator wanted to have his hands on.

In my mind I knew that the match engine is not perfect, it is still a simulator and it has flaws that can be used to our advantage.

1. No need for winbacks or fullbacks
  2. A defensive winger does the whole flank

Kind of make me wonder how to achieve the brilliance of the past without compromising the flanking abilities of proper wingers crossing those awesome balls that rip apart any defense.

This is a formation beloved by football enthusiasts across the world, but is staggeringly difficult to replicate. Your philosophy should ALWAYS be "Very Fluid" and attack-minded. The wingbacks provide all the width in your team, as your strikers switch position with each other and drift around. The only nominally defensive roles are the two centre defenders and the defensive midfielder, and even he is prone to making forward runs. The two central midfielders are both multitalented, capable of being playmakers, destroyers, box to boxers, whatever the situation requires. As such, this formation is utterly unpredictable and a fearsome opposition if played correctly.

Amazed how fluid this tactic is and how it extends the players into so many positions at any time, there would be some issues to solve while tuning this beast.

Let´s take a look at the formation

View attachment 183679

I decided for the offside trap has it prove to be more efficient against top teams, less mistakes and more defensive consistency all around the park.

Players and duties

Gk - Defend
Central Defender - Defend Central Defender - Defend
Wing back- Attacking Defensive Midfield - Support Wing back- Attacking
Central Midfielder - Automatic Central Midfielder - Automatic
Trequartista - Poacher - Deep Lying Forward - Support

The 1st impressions were very good, it almost felt like a plug N play tactic, really amazed how well the defense was dealing with everyone and anyone that came into their territory.

Any chance the opposition had was instantly demolished by the defensive trident very quick most of the times resulting in fast counter attacks.

It was so good that 90% of teams that played against me, no matter at home or away, the team plays with the authority of " Squeal ***** and bow down to me "

The only two team capable of creating more chances than me were Real Madrid and Barcelona obviously.
The only lost game was against the all mighty Hercules while tuning the tactic, ******* irony, ROFL

Even Barcelona and Real had panic issues every time I went up, pure awesome panic in their defense lines with their defenders punishing my forwards so much without them getting a single card, talk about a biased referee!

But words mean nothing, I have uploaded the most important games vs the big two. Only 3 matches since I only took over Atl Madrid in October. You can check the stats and analysis in all of them and judge for yourself.

Download At._Madrid_v_R._Madrid.pkm for free on Filesonic.com
Download Barcelona_v_At._Madrid.pkm for free on Filesonic.com
Download R._Madrid_v_At._Madrid.pkm for free on Filesonic.com
Download Liverpool_v_Sunderland.pkm for free on Filesonic.com

Check the 3rd goal, it´s a beautiful movement upfront
View attachment 184113

Now for the attacking issues

Tried every combination possible but they were not performing has intended, three poachers simply does not work as well like on my other tactic, the 3rd poacher is left to dry many games without a single goal even tho they were winning.

After much brainstorming, the final forward design was found and Forlan is having an absolute storming season leading the charts with 48 goals in 50 appearances.

Not bad I would say considering that my other tactic has in average 60 goals per striker playing as poachers.

Final instructions

Match Preparation is left to Assistant Manager
Pre match instructions are left to the AM
Size of the pitch doesn't really matter

Spanish season please find a couple of screenshots with overall stats

The legendary formation 2-3-2-3 Total Football - Image Hosting

With Sunderland, league prediction 13th

Sunderland - Image Hosting

The tactic
Download 2-3-2-3_Total_Football_(Sunderland,_Feb_2011).tac for free on Filesonic.com

View attachment 184094

Note

Under performing players **** up the flow of the tactic, injured players and player with fitness condition bellow 70% will make your team to loose. Replace them ASAP!

Due to the nature of the formation and the concept behind it, I strongly believe that it´s virtually impossible to implement 3 poacher in the game, I don´t know if it is a thing with the match engine or not but I did tried a Kazillion different settings without achieving the results I wanted.
In the other tactic I shared, they work beautifully well as a duo destroying any team they face. For my humble attempt to pay tribute to the one, if not the best manager that ever walked on earth, I feel that if he was still alive and playing Football Manager, he would put a big smile on his face.

Please post your feedback, spent a lot of time on my 2nd attempt at creating tactics for FM2011. No joke, I always used tactics found here.

Hope you enjoy and let the games begin :)

Last edited:
I am using a 2-3-2-3 formation in the game, albeit a different type, but one of the things that strikes me (compared with say the more tradditional 4-4-2) is that my team will either win or lose by lots of goals.

I am using a 2-3-2-3 formation in the game, albeit a different type, but one of the things that strikes me (compared with say the more tradditional 4-4-2) is that my team will either win or lose by lots of goals.

I see were you are coming from Jagg, I had the same feeling because of non existent wingers.
How would they get crosses in to score? How would a wing back keep up with both and defensive duties without compromising the whole wing?

With this setup, you will see the wing back compensating his wing in both duties, with the attacking duties and tackling set to hard, he becomes a all round performer not allowing anything to get crossed in, well there will be a few times it will happen but he offers a very consistent performance nevertheless.

He kills wingers like ronaldo and messi very nicely, heck, its amazing how the team kills every attempt at goal in my midfield.
You can see barcelona with a lot of difficulties to progress into my midfield with the ball,not even counter attacks worked for them properly .

I see were you are coming from Jagg, I had the same feeling because of non existent wingers.
How would they get crosses in to score? How would a wing back keep up with both and defensive duties without compromising the whole wing?

With this setup, you will see the wing back compensating his wing in both duties, with the attacking duties and tackling set to hard, he becomes a all round performer not allowing anything to get crossed in, well there will be a few times it will happen but he offers a very consistent performance nevertheless.

He kills wingers like ronaldo and messi very nicely, heck, its amazing how the team kills every attempt at goal in my midfield.
You can see barcelona with a lot of difficulties to progress into my midfield with the ball,not even counter attacks worked for them properly .

While you do effectively lock out dangerous wingers, the main problem that my team faces is that despite the use of a defensive midfielder and 2 centre backs, along with the two wing backs running up and down the lines is that in situations such as corner kicks or times in which you find your team pushing forward to find goals, the wing backs can be badly exposed by the use of inside forwards or attacking midfielders. For example in my Plymouth save we score lots of goals thanks to the lovely Febian Brandy, by analysing the last ten games in which we conceded 21 goals and 14 of them were from counter attacks or by using attacking midfielders, while the rest were simply "normal" goals

From what I have seen, a more aggressive tackling makes the player more aware in the game, a more softer approach may create a " let the opposing player do his thing"

Try it with aggressive, it might work well but then again, perhaps if you could post your wing back settings here, I could say a little bit more about what can be the issue on your wings.

Yeah I try with aggressive but in past experiences it has lead to me getting 10 red cards a year etc.
Here are the advanced instructions for both wing backs

plymouthargyleplymoutht.png

It is impossible to make that image bigger, I have a huge screen but not even that helps, LOL

Lol yep here is a bigger picture hope it works :p

plymouthargyleplymoutht.png

On a side note I should point out that my team is heavily focussed on scoring lots of goals :D

Here´s how my wing backs are set

Yep I think the main difference is that your wing backs have a lot more creative freedom whereas I do not offer them a lot of creative freedom (but only due to low flair and creativity attributes)

I´m almost finished with the Spanish league, I will post results in the next 15 minutes or so. Stay tuned people, I strongly believe that with a top class team like Chelsea, I say this because they have my references in attack and possess the strongest midfield to date, It will a 00000000000000 lost and they would rape anyone anywhere using this tactic.

Sorry, I will be using either Blackpool to see if this fits lower standard teams or I will go for Tottenham again since I love to see Defoe playing.

The main point of the Premiership is simply because it is very competitive and has the fastest strikers ever, this way I will see how good the team performs.

Cheers all

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

ROFL , 2nd game of the season vs Arsenal, the little fruckers injured my wing back, he gets assisted by the physio and receives a yellow card after entering the pitch, *****

i´m almost finished with the spanish league, i will post results in the next 15 minutes or so. Stay tuned people, i strongly believe that with a top class team like chelsea, i say this because they have my references in attack and possess the strongest midfield to date, it will a 00000000000000 lost and they would rape anyone anywhere using this tactic.

Sorry, i will be using either blackpool to see if this fits lower standard teams or i will go for tottenham again since i love to see defoe playing.

The main point of the premiership is simply because it is very competitive and has the fastest strikers ever, this way i will see how good the team performs.

Cheers all

---------- post added at 09:14 pm ---------- previous post was at 08:18 pm ----------

rofl , 2nd game of the season vs arsenal, the little fruckers injured my wing back, he gets assisted by the physio and receives a yellow card after entering the pitch, *****

rofl, wtf? Xd

I´m almost finished with the Spanish league, I will post results in the next 15 minutes or so. Stay tuned people, I strongly believe that with a top class team like Chelsea, I say this because they have my references in attack and possess the strongest midfield to date, It will a 00000000000000 lost and they would rape anyone anywhere using this tactic.

Sorry, I will be using either Blackpool to see if this fits lower standard teams or I will go for Tottenham again since I love to see Defoe playing.

The main point of the Premiership is simply because it is very competitive and has the fastest strikers ever, this way I will see how good the team performs.

Cheers all

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

ROFL , 2nd game of the season vs Arsenal, the little fruckers injured my wing back, he gets assisted by the physio and receives a yellow card after entering the pitch, *****

not funny, at least for me
IRL mexes got his second booking just like that in a decisive match against inter, who scored with a piledriver in the 93th minute and basically won the title thanks to that result. guess who would have stood in the area of the pitch where the shot took place?

I had developed a very fluid 4-3-3 formation with a high line and attacking full backs. It was very successful with my Man Utd team. Out of pure coincidence, I changed it over time so that it ended up as the 2-3-2-3 formation you originally posted. I have tweaked my forwards according to your instructions and I am scoring more goals.

The tactic is epic. I am currently on a 48 unbeaten streak in the League, including a 23 match winning streak. I have been using the tweaked forward settings since the start of the new season, and despite having a really tough start (including Man City and Chelsea away and Arsenal at home), I have won all 7 games without conceding a single goal.

I'm in my 4th season now and my squad is ridicously good. Gareth Bale is my WBL and he is immense in this role. So obviously results would be good, no matter what the formation. That said, this is by far the best formation I have ever used. My team is currently close to unbeatable. I beat Barcelona Home and Away in the CL semi final last year (6-1 on Agg). And beat Madrid 2-0 in the final.