The legendary formation 2-3-2-3 Total Football is here - Play it with Authority

hiya Darkatdawn.firstly congratulations on such a rocket-buster of a tactic.i waited for it during week,and i have to say i'm impressed with it.i've played 5 matches with it,won 2 and draw 3,but there was against big internatonals nations,i was england,my question to ya is,there any instructions you give to players during match.again thanks for a great tactic.

Thank you for your kind words Matt.

You need,depending on the club infrastructures, at least 10 games to fully blend the tactic. I never used the in game instructions with this tactic, I used it only once with other tactic to see the effect on the game play. If you choose to use them, that is fine but then I can not guarantee you the best result possible.

Thanks again for your comment Matt.

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Hi Dark, been using your formation as Doncaster Rovers. Season started out really brightly with some convincing results :D

Currently 1st in Championship with 20 Played, 14 wins, 6 draws and 0 losses

Most impressive results for me personally were beating Swansea 4-0 away as they're doing well this season and knocking Bolton out of the league cup by 3 goals to nil.

But its just coming to December now and my away form is dipping, really struggling to score and thats where my Draws are coming from in the League and the last three Cup games have been no score draws won on Penalties against lesser sides too.

Any tips on away games? For instance Touchline shouts or something? :)

Thanks for your comment John.

I have notice a lot of feedback regarding the away form of the team during the season and honestly,I can only think of what you can say to the players.
When I was tuning the tactic, I played along with the different messages: for the fans, You can win today and so on - The effect of the instructions will influence how the team play at home or away, no secrets there, so my tip is to go slowly on the demanding of a win in the 1st games while the team is still learning, after 10 or so games, I always use " I expect a win " either at home or away.

Now, I don´t expect this to work wonders with everyone or every single team out there, you need to consider your staff that works in the background and specially their determination and motivation values.
The risk of usage of the " I expect a win " is known to everyone,it can backfire but at the end of the 2nd half, if possible, I choose " We must get a result here, no excuses" and this usually pays off.

The other thing I would like to mention is that none of my tactics offer invincibility. What they offer is consistent results, score more than the opposition and sometimes eat them alive. Any tactic released, will contain beautiful football plus the team block movement playing has if there were more than 11 players in the pitch.

I will into the feedback received regarding the performance drop and see what can be done to improve it. Thanks again for your sincere comment.

I tweaked some PIs to suit my players. Gotten into a good run of away form now :)

League form is Pld 30, Won 22, Drawn 7, Lost 1 with 73 Goals Scored and 21 Against

League Cup Semi's (Knocked Bolton and Sunderland out as notable sides) and FA Cup 5th Round (No big sides beaten yet, Birmingham up next)

Funny thing is I only struggled in League Cup against smaller sides, I beat Sunderland 2-0 at home and drew 2-2 away.

Overall I'm happy with the tactics, all sides need a personal tweak or two but in general its awesome

Good job!

I tweaked some PIs to suit my players. Gotten into a good run of away form now :)

League form is Pld 30, Won 22, Drawn 7, Lost 1 with 73 Goals Scored and 21 Against

League Cup Semi's (Knocked Bolton and Sunderland out as notable sides) and FA Cup 5th Round (No big sides beaten yet, Birmingham up next)

What team are you using?
Funny thing is I only struggled in League Cup against smaller sides, I beat Sunderland 2-0 at home and drew 2-2 away.

Overall I'm happy with the tactics, all sides need a personal tweak or two but in general its awesome

Good job!

Good job!

Thanks John and keep us posted on your progression.

hiya Darkatdawn.i'm quickly giving ya a quick update on my game,started a new game this morning and oddly choose the Croatian first division.just finished the league unbeaten in the 1st season.and won the cup :).again massive thumb's up on a wonderful tactic m8.i hope you make more tactics like this,cos i've waited so long for a effective tactic like this.

hiya Darkatdawn.i'm quickly giving ya a quick update on my game,started a new game this morning and oddly choose the Croatian first division.just finished the league unbeaten in the 1st season.and won the cup :).again massive thumb's up on a wonderful tactic m8.i hope you make more tactics like this,cos i've waited so long for a effective tactic like this.

My humble thank you for your words Matt.

Actualy,I created the tactic when trying to emulate how Barcelona and Real Madrid play, I wanted to achieve the Barcelona football along with the defensive consistency of Real. As the community will notice, most of the players have different settings, the wingers dont have the same settings and neither the strikers. I wanted the team to play a non linear football, something that the AI would had trouble to adapt to.

I have used the tactic for many seasons in a row in the same championship, the AI still does not know how to manage the way my team plays and, even when playing agains top teams, results might not be always a win but at home, its my house my rules! it produces very strong results at home, raping Barcelona and Real Madrid is a delight to my eyes.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Anyone that wants a proper Dutch football ala Holland 1974 should try this

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...ct-totaal-voetbal-dutch-emulation-tactic.html

They atually swap positions and cover each others position, it's gorgeous. Darkatdawn have a go at this and make changes to it. The football is gorgeous.

I will have a look at them even when FM2012 is out if the new version is retro compatible with tactics created for FM2011.

Last edited:
My humble thank you for your words Matt.

Actualy,I created the tactic when trying to emulate how Barcelona and Real Madrid play, I wanted to achieve the Barcelona football along with the defensive consistency of Real. As the community will notice, most of the players have different settings, the wingers dont have the same settings and neither the strikers. I wanted the team to play a non linear football, something that the AI would had trouble to adapt to.

I have used the tactic for many seasons in a row in the same championship, the AI still does not know how to manage the way my team plays and, even when playing agains top teams, results might not be always a win but at home, its my house my rules! it produces very strong results at home, raping Barcelona and Real Madrid is a delight to my eyes.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

I will have a look at them even when FM2012 is out if the new version is retro compatible with tactics created for FM2011.

The whole point of total football was covering the space and swapping positioons to cover and pressing. YOur tactic is very beautiful but there is a lack of interchangeability when a player goes out of position.

I see where your coming from Jibbers, the tactic is not a perfect emulation of the master who created it in the 1st place, tho I humbly think you are right in your assumptions, maybe in a next release I will be able to truly pay tribute it deserves.

Thanks again for your honest review.

first of all your tactic is really good except some minor problems(defensive problem against big team for ex). but please advice a trequartista and a deep lying forward. what do they have as abilities?. My team is palermo btw(for the transfer budget limit:))

first of all your tactic is really good except some minor problems(defensive problem against big team for ex). but please advice a trequartista and a deep lying forward. what do they have as abilities?. My team is palermo btw(for the transfer budget limit:))

Do you still have Javier Pastore on your team ?

yes:) and i loaned eden hazard too:)

First of all,thank you for using the tactic, I´m quite sure you will fall in love with it soon enough.
The little issues you mention in the defense are not a flaw in the tactic, its an issue with the game engine/coding or whatever causes it.

The fitness levels of the players are shocking through out the entire season and with a demading tactic like this, I can tell you that the only goals the other teams will put in, are those caused by the tirediness of your back line. If any of your back line players are bellow 70%, the other team will score for sure.
So yes, you need players with stamina and pace or your team will fail :)

I would risk using Pastore as a trequartista and Hazard as the advanced playmaker but then again, I never used them with this tactic so I might be wrong. I have used Messi in that position and Critiano Ronaldo and they play very good.

I´m currently working in a improved version of the tactic with more compensating movement when pressing and I must say it has been hard to implement but I like challenges so :)

Thanks again for using the tactic and let us know how it goes for you.

First of all,thank you for using the tactic, I´m quite sure you will fall in love with it soon enough.
The little issues you mention in the defense are not a flaw in the tactic, its an issue with the game engine/coding or whatever causes it.

The fitness levels of the players are shocking through out the entire season and with a demading tactic like this, I can tell you that the only goals the other teams will put in, are those caused by the tirediness of your back line. If any of your back line players are bellow 70%, the other team will score for sure.
So yes, you need players with stamina and pace or your team will fail :)

I would risk using Pastore as a trequartista and Hazard as the advanced playmaker but then again, I never used them with this tactic so I might be wrong. I have used Messi in that position and Critiano Ronaldo and they play very good.

I´m currently working in a improved version of the tactic with more compensating movement when pressing and I must say it has been hard to implement but I like challenges so :)

Thanks again for using the tactic and let us know how it goes for you.

Thank you for sharing this interesting tactic with us. You mentioned about messi or cr7 but as you know they are the cheats of fm 2011:). and as you said i concead goals between 75 and 90. But i am doing well with palermo now. i can say the biggest problem is the defensive problem against big teams(like inter) and the defensive problems after 75th minutes of the game.hazard is really for this tactic but i cant say the same thing for pastore unfortunately. I'm looking forward to your new tactic and i will try it for sure:). And finally thank you for your revealing message above:). good luck for your new tactic.

View attachment 191542

Looking good so far, I can see my strikers supporting the defense a lot, often they come from defense and pass those cut throat balls to the front, plus the team is showing signs of a very consisten clean sheets.

Some tweaking will come to place once they have learned the tactic, will see what works better tempo wise.

Once I am happy with the outcome, I would like someone to test it if possible before making it available to the community.

LOL, now I think I ****** up the game engine with my position changing,Crouch is a striker but every time that I make a sub, I see him at the wing back postion and the wing back is actually at the front where he pops for the finishing strike, rofl

This formation really awesome!!! Sometimes I won with great goals!!! Sometimes 8-0,7-0, and 6-0!!!
This is my ss, thanks for the creator.... :)
player stats in league --->
My squad stat --->
League table --->

thanks again for the creator.... ^^
Great work sir. :)

Thank you Eko, thank you for using the tactic and falling in love with it,thank you Sir.