The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Kenny said he think's Aquilani is gonna have a key role at Liverpool next season.

Kenny said he think's Aquilani is gonna have a key role at Liverpool next season.

I cant see that to be honest...
Juve have a buy out clause for him and if Liverpool get anything around £10M for him they would be foolish not to cash in on an injury prone squad player. I really see Lucas and Raul playing in the center next season so dont see much point keeping Aqua for the wages he earns.

I cant see that to be honest...
Juve have a buy out clause for him and if Liverpool get anything around £10M for him they would be foolish not to cash in on an injury prone squad player. I really see Lucas and Raul playing in the center next season so dont see much point keeping Aqua for the wages he earns.

The price on the clause is around £13m I think? However, Juventus don't want to pay that, so he could end up coming back.. Which is a good thing! He's been good in Italy this season, plus Kenny has had a habbit of making players perform well for him since he's been here, so I don't see why he can't do it again.

As for you saying you see Raul & Lucas playing, where do you think Gerrard will be? O_o

The price on the clause is around £13m I think? However, Juventus don't want to pay that, so he could end up coming back.. Which is a good thing! He's been good in Italy this season, plus Kenny has had a habbit of making players perform well for him since he's been here, so I don't see why he can't do it again.

As for you saying you see Raul & Lucas playing, where do you think Gerrard will be? O_o

I reckon that Gerrard will be rotated in the center with those two and play a few games on the right wing aswell. I think Gerrard will be kept out of a few games next season as he has looked exhausted lately and Kenny will rest Gerrard is some smaller games to prevent burn out. I dont claim to have any inside knowledge or anything but its just logical thinking.
I could be completely wrong but I really dont see a future for Aqua.

I read Kenny's comments as meaning 'Don't come to us pleading poverty Juve - you've got a price there for Aquilani, pay up or lose the option to buy'.

has any one seen what the times have said today about liverpool having a new shirt sponser worth £25m a season? sorry about spelling

Stevie G, I'm gutted to say, is now a 25 game a season man. His frequent injuries are taking their toll. Plus the fact that he'll be 31 come next birthday means he'll find it harder to bomb forward into the oppo box like he has done, which is where he's most effective imo. KK has got to be looking at TRYING to replace him (a near impossible task), as we can't afford to be without a player of his ilk for half a season.

The Aquaman has been injury-free this season apparently, but the Serie A game is a much more delibrate one than the Premiership's. You don't get the time & space to play here & you've got to be able to look after yourself physically. I'm not sure he'd be able to do that or indeed wants to have to do that. Personally I like his playing style but he'd definately be a risk if he comes back here.

A tricky one for Kenny.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

has any one seen what the times have said today about liverpool having a new shirt sponser worth £25m a season? sorry about spelling

Money makes the world go around. Hats off to FSG.

Stevie G, I'm gutted to say, is now a 25 game a season man. His frequent injuries are taking their toll. Plus the fact that he'll be 31 come next birthday means he'll find it harder to bomb forward into the oppo box like he has done, which is where he's most effective imo. KK has got to be looking at TRYING to replace him (a near impossible task), as we can't afford to be without a player of his ilk for half a season.

The Aquaman has been injury-free this season apparently, but the Serie A game is a much more delibrate one than the Premiership's. You don't get the time & space to play here & you've got to be able to look after yourself physically. I'm not sure he'd be able to do that or indeed wants to have to do that. Personally I like his playing style but he'd definately be a risk if he comes back here.

A tricky one for Kenny.

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Money makes the world go around. Hats off to FSG.

he's not done that since 08/09

---------- Post added at 11:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

On-loan Liverpool midfielder Alberto Aquilani has expressed his desire to remain at Juventus long-term - even though Reds manager Kenny Dalglish suggested he could stay on at Anfield.

The 26-year-old lasted just one injury-troubled season on Merseyside after his £17million move from Roma.

He started to show glimpses of his true form towards the end of the 2009-10 campaign but the departure of Rafael Benitez, the man who brought him to England, effectively sealed his fate.

Benitez's successor Roy Hodgson ushered the Italy international out on loan after just two pre-season friendlies and a couple of substitute appearances in the Europa League qualifiers.

Dalglish, however, is an admirer of the midfielder's talents and yesterday said: "He could be coming back to play for Liverpool. He could be a valuable asset here next season."

Aquilani though seems intent on remaining in his homeland, but with Juventus apparently unwilling to pay the £14million fee agreed at the outset of his loan deal, his future remains unclear.

"My situation is simple. It all depends on Juventus - if they want to, (they can) buy me without asking anyone's opinion," Aquilani told Gazzetta dello Sport.

"I would like to stay in Turin for a long time and win a lot.

"I want to be a protagonist in the new winning cycle that is opening up at Juventus. I have no doubt that Juve's project is a winner, they just need a little patience."

Aquilani also feels, after 29 Serie A appearances for Juventus, that he has finally shaken off his injury-prone reputation.

"I played with great continuity, without any particular problems," he added.

"I finally removed the tag of me always being injured. I knew I was healthy, that I was just unlucky in the past, but in football people just want to label someone."

Just read on NESN, that Aly Cisokho (sp) is considering a move to Liverpool. Would be awesome :D

Liverpool Football Club have signed a deal worth a reported £25million a year with Boston-based Warrior Sports.
The deal is twice what Adidas are currently paying for the rights to produce Liverpool’s kits, and is a new record in English football – eclipsing Manchester United’s current deal with Nike.

Little known in the UK, Warrior Sports are a subsidary of New Balance and have been increasingly moving into kit manufacturing, including a deal with Liverpool owners Fenway Sports Group and their ownership of the Boston Red Sox.

The deal will come into place from the 2012/13 season.

Reports today say Liverpool’s kits are the fourth most selling replica kits in world football, only behind Man Utd, Real Madrid and Barcelona.

I totally agree with Zeb, I doubt Kenny really wants Aqualani but just said that to show he wont be sold on the cheap. We all know Juve are interested but dont want to stump up much cash. I believe he will be sold for around £10M due to his good form this season.
Great news about the sponsor as it double what Addidas offer us. The logo also looks sweet. And it shows how the owners are tapping into better financial sponsorship deals :)
Kenny has said we have a big summer ahead:
Kenny Dalglish today admitted the Reds are heading into an important summer as they set their sights on the top of the Premier League.

The Liverpool manager has been impressed with the performances of his younger players over recent weeks as the club have coped with a series of injuries to established first team players, but he insists big decisions lie ahead in terms of where to look to strengthen the squad.

"Every football club after May knows where they stand," he said. "You know what you need and there's always going to be business done. If you do good business, you've more chance of being successful.

"That doesn't just mean buying players and letting players go, it's about developing what else you have. This summer is going to be very important.

"If we're convinced we have young players who are maybe better than what's available, then we'll keep our younger players.

"But that's not to say we don't want to improve as a football club in any way.

"We do need to leave some path open if we think there are players who can come in. If they develop then fine, if they don't, we've got a problem. But if you buy a player in and he doesn't produce, you've got a bigger problem."

Hopefully this means there will only be 2 or 3 quality players coming in and also giving a few of the academy lads a chance. Id rather that than we sign 5 or 6 average players.

I agree with Dobacheev about Gerrard,he hasnt the fitness levels to play every game anymore. He wont play against some of the weeker teams and be kept for all the bigger more important matches :)

Hopefully this means there will only be 2 or 3 quality players coming in and also giving a few of the academy lads a chance. Id rather that than we sign 5 or 6 average players.

Amen. We've had a bellyfull of 'average'.

We certainly need more than 2 of the quality. 3 is an absolute MINIMUM. We've got an awfull lot of catchup to do next season, thanx to gross mismanagement at ownership level over the last several years. FSG have got to adopt a 'Hurry-Up Offence' strategy, as they say in the states, to make up lost ground on the usual suspects. We've been hamstrung for far too long by incompetence & greed.

The time is soon coming when the Premiership will both respect & fear Liverpool Football Club once again.

Amen. We've had a bellyfull of 'average'.

We certainly need more than 2 of the quality. 3 is an absolute MINIMUM. We've got an awfull lot of catchup to do next season, thanx to gross mismanagement at ownership level over the last several years. FSG have got to adopt a 'Hurry-Up Offence' strategy, as they say in the states, to make up lost ground on the usual suspects. We've been hamstrung for far too long by incompetence & greed.

The time is soon coming when the Premiership will both respect & fear Liverpool Football Club once again.

I agree we need more quality but id only sign 3 first team players and maybe 2 or 3 young back ups that have the ability to become world class. The 3 positions i believe we need the most are left back,left winger and a center back. Then bring in a young keeper,center midfielder and striker.
Also heard last week that Kenny wants to sign Shay Given on NOTW but i dont really believe this. If we got Taiwo on a free we could have £60M+ for 2 world class players and to improve the squad players aswell :D

Next season should be one of the most exciting in the last 20 years for us fans. The best thing is Kenny has everybodys support and they all performing for him so far.

I agree we need more quality but id only sign 3 first team players and maybe 2 or 3 young back ups that have the ability to become world class. The 3 positions i believe we need the most are left back,left winger and a center back. Then bring in a young keeper,center midfielder and striker.
Also heard last week that Kenny wants to sign Shay Given on NOTW but i dont really believe this. If we got Taiwo on a free we could have £60M+ for 2 world class players and to improve the squad players aswell :D

Next season should be one of the most exciting in the last 20 years for us fans. The best thing is Kenny has everybodys support and they all performing for him so far.

Agree that we need a LW, LB & CB, but we also need a RW as well. Dirk Kuyt is NOT a winger - he's a striker & should be played as such. We need more creativity also: we need a playmaker, & I'm not thinking about Charlie Adam here.

This all means that some serious money is going to change hands in the summer, part of which will be recuped by selling Poulsen, Jovanovic, Cole, Maxi ect; We can't expect much for those characters though - our best asset is the Aquaman.

Juve - if you want him then pay the asking price or go away & stop pleading poverty - you're not fooling anybody.

I agree that Kuyt isnt a winger either as do most people. I could actually see Glen Johnson playing there though and Kelly playing Right Back next season. Johnson could do well there as he does well running down the line and can put decent crosses into the box. With a new LB its the only viable position to play him in. Either that or sell Johnson as he earns too much to be a squad player.
Heres my ideal line up for next season.

Luis Suarez--------Andy Carroll
Alexis Sanchez-------------------------------------Glen Johnson

Lucas--------Steven Gerrard
Taiwo ---------------------------------------------------- Martin Kelly
Danny Wilson ----Jamie Carragher
Reina​

Possibly replace Wilson with a more proven CB but i dont know who would be available right now. This is just a rough idea of a suggested line up and it leaves Kuyt and Raul on the bench.

By the way for whoever mentioned that Gerrard needs replacing i believe his replacement will come from the youth set up. Possibly Suso or somebody like that.

We have a promising youth team that will be given a chance at some stage next season. Players like Conor Coady, Chris Ince, Adam Morgan, Suso, Raheem Sterling, Flanno, Andre Wisdom, Jack Robinson and Toni Silva all look like they could make the step up and Spearing has also looked decent when played.

Kenny eyes end to seven-year jinx - Liverpool FC
Not won Birmingham in the league since 2004...

Liverpool midfielder Lucas Leiva feels Kenny Dalglish's appointment as full-time manager is a mere formality.

The Scot was handed the reins on a caretaker basis in the aftermath of Roy Hodgson's dismissal in January and has overseen a resurgent Reds.

Dalglish has been tipped to land the post on a full-time basis but any deal has yet to be formalised.

However, that has not stopped Brazil international Lucas from concluding it is only a matter of time before the former player-manager is reinstated permanently.

"The way he came to the club and the way he changed a lot, it is just a matter of time (before) he will agree this new deal," said Lucas.
Confidence

"As players we just have to hope he will be here next year with us. We will try to win the next five games, if we do that we will be helping him as well.

"Kenny and Steve Clarke (coach) have done really well. They have changed things, giving all the team confidence, which is really important.

"Kenny is the key to keeping everyone together and keeps the confidence of everyone."

Liverpool have endured something of a tumultuous season with the Fenway Sports Group purchasing the club from Tom Hicks and George Gillett in October.

The new owners then had to oversee the replacing of Hodgson and Liverpool's lavish acquisitions of Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez in January.
Personality

There has been something of an obvious change to the style Liverpool have adopted under their stand-in boss, but Lucas believes it is his personality that has been instrumental in the change of the team's fortunes.

"One of the things that I really like about Kenny is that he treats everyone the same," he added.

"It doesn't matter if you are young or a senior player, everyone has the same importance in the club and it gives everyone a big lift.

"We are together, more united. It is difficult to explain, but I feel the dressing room is much better now than it was before.

"We didn't have the atmosphere that we have now in the dressing room. The relationship is just not professional, we have become more friends than before and that's helped a lot on the pitch."

I agree that Kuyt isnt a winger either as do most people. I could actually see Glen Johnson playing there though and Kelly playing Right Back next season. Johnson could do well there as he does well running down the line and can put decent crosses into the box. With a new LB its the only viable position to play him in. Either that or sell Johnson as he earns too much to be a squad player.
Heres my ideal line up for next season.

Luis Suarez--------Andy Carroll

Alexis Sanchez-------------------------------------Glen Johnson​

Lucas--------Steven Gerrard
Taiwo ---------------------------------------------------- Martin Kelly
Danny Wilson ----Jamie Carragher
Reina​

Possibly replace Wilson with a more proven CB but i dont know who would be available right now. This is just a rough idea of a suggested line up and it leaves Kuyt and Raul on the bench.

By the way for whoever mentioned that Gerrard needs replacing i believe his replacement will come from the youth set up. Possibly Suso or somebody like that.

We have a promising youth team that will be given a chance at some stage next season. Players like Conor Coady, Chris Ince, Adam Morgan, Suso, Raheem Sterling, Flanno, Andre Wisdom, Jack Robinson and Toni Silva all look like they could make the step up and Spearing has also looked decent when played.

I don't think Johno will be too keen to play as a winger as this would threaten his England place at RB. We need an alternative to Stevie G now - that's where recruiting a creative central midfielder comes in. Raul is a bit of a paradox as he's not really inventive enough & certainly doesn't tackle back like Lucas. The Aquaman might fit the bill but his heart is in Italy & hasn't proved himself in the Premiership. Spearing is strictly a stop gap measure imo - he just makes a nuisance of himself to the opposition - that's his game. We require a quality player who can pick a match winning through-ball against sides who park the bus against us. Ideally we need a creative central midfielder who can put his foot in - anyone know a Graeme Souness Mk II ?

Dobcheev i think somebody like Andrea Poli would fit the bill perfectly from what i have seen over the past season or 2. It is impossible to get a Gerrard mk 2 as players like him dont come along often. The reason he has done so well is is hunger and determination to do well for liverpool. It would be hard to buy a player and get them to perform like him. I know spearing isnt great right now but does anybody remember Gerrard when he was 21-22. He didnt set the world alight until Houllier made him captain in 2003.

For me he has the main ingredients to fill Gerrards boots. Mainly his hunger,drive and deteermination. He wont sit back and coast through a game and will give every game his all.
Heres an intervieww with him on LFCtv:
He may have won the man-of-the-match accolade at Arsenal last weekend, but that will count for nothing for Jay Spearing when he steps out against Birmingham City this afternoon.

The 22-year-old is enjoying his longest run in the Liverpool first team plans since graduating from the Academy, and is justifying the faith placed in him by Kenny Dalglish with a series of top class performances in the Reds' midfield.

But far from basking in the successes he has enjoyed over the past few weeks, Spearing insists he's only interested in looking to the future.

"Every single time I get on that pitch I have to prove I deserve to start the next game," he said.

"You could say it's pressure but it's something I thrive on. I have to show everyone what I'm capable of.

"My dad is the first one to congratulate me when I've played well but he's also one of my main critics. He says to me that I'm only as good as my last game and that's exactly what I go into every game thinking. Every game that comes along, I have to be better and better.

"As soon as one game goes, I can't dwell on whether I've played well or not. I have to look at Birmingham on Saturday and think I can play well again.

"I have had to be patient for two or three years now and different managers have given me different opportunities. I used to come in and then be out the next week.

"It is hard. There were times when I thought to myself 'what's going on? Am I going to break through at Liverpool?' There have been times when I thought I might have to look elsewhere.

"But I knew that if I kept grafting and kept showing that I wanted it that one day it would come for me.

"Alonso and Mascherano dominated the midfield over a couple of years. I was battling on in the background and learning from them. With them going, I did think this was my chance to come in and maybe prove what I was capable of doing.

"Stevie G is someone I've got to try and compete against every day. With him being injured it has given me a chance to come in.

"I always dreamed of playing for Liverpool. I want to get more and more games and become a regular in the side."

Spearing may have picked up the champagne after last weekend's 1-1 draw at Arsenal, but only minutes earlier he was praying for the ground to open up and swallow him after conceding an injury-time penalty which seemed set to hand all three points to the Gunners.

"I tried to win the ball but it was a silly challenge to make," he said. "I just wanted to dig a hole and hide in it but I had to get on with it.

"There was no point dwelling on it and the team showed the togetherness we have by fighting back and taking a point. It was one of the greatest things ever when Dirk slotted it.

"It was a massive boost for me to be declared the man of the match."

If selected this afternoon it willl be the first time Spearing has ever started two successive league game for the Reds - and he admits he owes a huge debt of gratitude to the man who has united the club since stepping into the managerial hot-seat in January.

"I was maybe a little bit too young to see what Kenny did for the club during his playing days but just hearing about everything he did for the club, seeing on television what he was capable of and just seeing his presence around the club now means I'm able to appreciate it," he said.

"He started in five-a-side when he first came. I tried to kick him but he's still too quick for everyone!

"The place has been buzzing since Kenny came in. He has given us all a lot of confidence and brought the team together. That showed on Sunday when we went behind so late on but we stuck together and showed fight and desire.

"I have to thank him for what he's done for me and particularly for the chances he's given me."

The passing and movement was superb. And when we lost it, we hunted the ball down in packs headed by Lucas, who was my MOTM. Although everyone was superb.

Onwards and upwards.

Now the Mancs might win no19 this season. But ****'em.

If someone had told me in September that we will finish the season fighting for 5th, playing real pass and move football with the King at the helm, that **** and cunter will be swindled in an epic manner, that our new owners would smash our transfer record twice within a week, with the best set of young players we've had for two decades, then quite frankly I would've ****** myself laughing. The reality is that this season looks like ending much better than we ever could've dreamed off.

We are coming up the hill.

The passing and movement was superb. And when we lost it, we hunted the ball down in packs headed by Lucas, who was my MOTM. Although everyone was superb.

Onwards and upwards.

Now the Mancs might win no19 this season. But ****'em.

If someone had told me in September that we will finish the season fighting for 5th, playing real pass and move football with the King at the helm, that **** and cunter will be swindled in an epic manner, that our new owners would smash our transfer record twice within a week, with the best set of young players we've had for two decades, then quite frankly I would've ****** myself laughing. The reality is that this season looks like ending much better than we ever could've dreamed off.

We are coming up the hill.

****,i ******* like your ******* post

Back