The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
And yet I made no argument based on that I'd never heard of it so how is it a logical fallacy in any form? It was a statement.

Putting a statement at the beginning of an argument does rather imply that it's part of said argument, otherwise it's largely meaningless and shouldn't be there. You've never heard it used that way, so what?

And yet that definition still doesn't require physical actions by Suarez to create the framework for context.

It doesn't require it, but it does accept that they play a part in context, which was something you denied: "I'm not sure why you think Suarez would have to point out his skin or other physical actions, that's not context."

I said linguistics and communication. Communication was a deliberately broad term. It's perfectly possible to know context of the situation without Suarez acting.

Yes, yes it is. But as I have said numerous times, the context that we have is too broad to ascertain whether or not this was a racial slur or simply an insult. (Let's not go into how arbitary your exclusion of action from communication is)

I outlined the context of the situation, disprove that rather than playing around with definitions of words, it's an argument that actually has substance.

You mean like I did several times with Mike? The context is that Suarez was angry with Evra and called him a negrito, in an insulting sense. That doesn't clarify whether or not he was using its racist connotations. I feel like I have to put this in huge bold letters because I've said it so many times and all anyone else has done is dance around it, saying "nope" without ever coming close to substantiating their rebuttal.

neither require a physical action to know the context of the situations.

No, but the current information is inadequate. If you read my post where I mention physical action you'll see that I never say or imply that context cannot be derived without action, merely that linguistic ambiguity in this case leaves us with rather indefinite conclusions about whether or not it was a racial slur. You seem to have got yourself in a tizz about a point I never made...

Does that mean Gray and Keys weren't being sexist, since it's oh so ****** difficult to sense the context of what they said.

When did Gray and Keys use a term as ambiguous in English as negrito is in Spanish? They also said more than one word so you could establish a contextual framework (aka the tone) from their words. With Suarez you cannot.

The argument at point is whether what Suarez said was in a context

Whaaaaat? No it's not, the argument is whether or not the context in question is enough to determine if Suarez used the term negrito in a racially offensive way. Given that we can only ascertain that it was said as an insult, and given that negrito has multiple negative meanings, it's impossible to conclude that it was racially offensive.

So again, I can racially insult someone, but as long as I have no gestures while doing it, I'm not being racist?

I don't want to seem like a troll but you've either woefully misread or misconstrued what I've said.

There's social context in Europe, you don't say what Suarez did in a non-racist way, it doesn't happen.

That's an amazingly sweeping assumption but it's also irrelevant. The social context of Europe doesn't change the fact that Negrito has a non-racial positive and a negative meaning, in addition to being used as a slur.

You're clutching at straws.

You're standing in a field, talking to strawmen.

subtle did you even read my last post? there is no meaning for it to be used as an insult a black person without a reference to colour/race. It does not have mutiple negative meanings when directed at a black person

subtle did you even read my last post? there is no meaning for it to be used as an insult a black person without a reference to colour/race. It does not have mutiple negative meanings when directed at a black person

I was working under the assumption from GC's post, and from other things people have posted, that negrito also had the equivalent of "champ" and thus the negative inverted form. Well, guess we just wasted some time ^^

If there is no alternative meaning them yeah, clearly he was being racist and you can't use the endearing connotations or the fact that it's has a less offensive meaning in Spanish to defend him. I'll look into it.

I was working under the assumption from GC's post, and from other things people have posted, that negrito also had the equivalent of "champ" and thus the negative inverted form. Well, guess we just wasted some time ^^

If there is no alternative meaning them yeah, clearly he was being racist and you can't use the endearing connotations or the fact that it's has a less offensive meaning in Spanish to defend him. I'll look into it.

Nope the actual jibe itself (if seen that way) is inherently built around colour. I think this is where our wires have been crossed XD but on the other hand, when used endearingly seems to have no real distinction about colour. Try working through that linguistic minefield. In fairness to the FA they have contracted experts in linguistics to pore over this, hence the 5 week delay.

On Poyet, I think he's letting his friendship with Suarez alter his judgment. If it's not then it's very dissapoiting indeed. I have/had a lot of respect for him.

On Poyet, I think he's letting his friendship with Suarez alter his judgment. If it's not then it's very dissapoiting indeed. I have/had a lot of respect for him.

Really did not expect that from a man like him.

Putting a statement at the beginning of an argument does rather imply that it's part of said argument, otherwise it's largely meaningless and shouldn't be there. You've never heard it used that way, so what?

So what? Nothing. I didn't realise every single thing said had significance to a whole paragraph of writing. I did split it up nicely, with full stops and labelling what I was saying, separating statement from argument, for someone who's basing a whole argument on the basis of dictionary definitions, I thought you'd understand that. Meh.

It doesn't require it, but it does accept that they play a part in context, which was something you denied: "I'm not sure why you think Suarez would have to point out his skin or other physical actions, that's not context."
And yet this changes **** all about my argument. English is my least favourite subject, pick me up on things I say wrong, I care about the substance of what someone has to say.

Yes, yes it is. But as I have said numerous times, the context that we have is too broad to ascertain whether or not this was a racial slur or simply an insult. (Let's not go into how arbitary your exclusion of action from communication is)
You can offer a broad reasoning for any subject, lawyers have to make a living, after all. Occam's razor, it's far, far more likely that something is racist when you use a racial term when it was CLEAR from on-pitch actions that there was animosity between the two, amongst other factors, but that's the key one.

You mean like I did several times with Mike? The context is that Suarez was angry with Evra and called him a negrito, in an insulting sense. That doesn't clarify whether or not he was using its racist connotations. I feel like I have to put this in huge bold letters because I've said it so many times and all anyone else has done is dance around it, saying "nope" without ever coming close to substantiating their rebuttal.
There are tonnes of insults out there that he could have used instead, but he didn't, that's his problem. It's socially unacceptable to say such things and it's society which is judging him. Does this mean I can call as many people '******' or 'paki' etc. as long as I don't mean to invoke the true meanings of the words, and I just want to insult someone? No, no it does not.

No, but the current information is inadequate. If you read my post where I mention physical action you'll see that I never say or imply that context cannot be derived without action, merely that linguistic ambiguity in this case leaves us with rather indefinite conclusions about whether or not it was a racial slur. You seem to have got yourself in a tizz about a point I never made...
Context can and has still been derived. A physical action is unlikely, just because it's absent, doesn't mean the justice system stops, there are other methods.

When did Gray and Keys use a term as ambiguous in English as negrito is in Spanish? They also said more than one word so you could establish a contextual framework (aka the tone) from their words. With Suarez you cannot.
Because Gray and Keys were speaking in a language everyone and the person they insulted understood. Many people in England speak Spanish. Evra is fluent in Spanish, he understood clearly what was said, and took offence. It's Suarez who's at fault. What matters is he said it, people know who what he said, racism can be derived from it, Evra took offence. Clearly that Evra isn't acting on his imaginary 'previous', he had a cause to take offence and did, and that puts him in the right. Defend Suarez all you like, there's no defence for stupidity, and it was very stupid of him, and stupidity doesn't get you off the hook.

Whaaaaat? No it's not, the argument is whether or not the context in question is enough to determine if Suarez used the term negrito in a racially offensive way. Given that we can only ascertain that it was said as an insult, and given that negrito has multiple negative meanings, it's impossible to conclude that it was racially offensive.
We have social standards, it isn't difficult to see how it could even be interpreted as racist if you meant it or not. There are many words that have multiple meanings, but if you're talking to someone where one of the meanings COULD offend, you don't. *******. say. it. Most people have the sense to think about that, on the off chance Suarez didn't, I still have no sympathy for him. And since Liverpool fans like to play on this non-existent previous of Evra, why would it not surprise that a man who has been as controversial as Suarez has, also has this capacity in him. Slight racism is surely a stroll in the park for someone who has bitten another player, or wait, let's apply all possible contexts to that - Maybe he just wanted to know what he tasted like!
That's an amazingly sweeping assumption but it's also irrelevant. The social context of Europe doesn't change the fact that Negrito has a non-racial positive and a negative meaning, in addition to being used as a slur.
In what way is that an assumption? It's a cultural fact. Society expects and demands certain actions from its citizens, clear from the outrage garnered by the public over the recent racial incidents.

You're standing in a field, talking to strawmen.

Says the guy who spends half his argument nitpicking non-sensical parts of my post, and then basing his actual arguments on possibilities rather than facts. There are multiple meanings to most words, but when certain words are said in certain contexts to certain people, the true meaning can be derived. It's how conversations work, if we were unable to differentiate between the different meanings of words, conversation would be rather difficult. Arguing for multiple meanings when given the context and person it was aimed at would appear to strongly suggest it was a racial slur is a desperate ******* argument. And even excluding all that, even if Suarez did mean something else, he should have the ****** sense to use a different word to express what he did mean. Suarez his given Evra a valid reason to feel racially abused, that in itself is not good enough in the world we live in today.

Go out to the street and call the next black person you meet "negrito" and tell him that you're actually trying to call him in an affectionate way and you're not being racist because you're not pointing at your skin or anything. Come back and tell me the result after that.

Go out to the street and call the next black person you meet "negrito" and tell him that you're actually trying to call him in an affectionate way and you're not being racist because you're not pointing at your skin or anything. Come back and tell me the result after that.

Are you inferring that all black people are violent and you'll get beaten up as a result?

Racist.

It is you who came up with that racist conclusion, not me.

Are you inferring that all black people are violent and you'll get beaten up as a result?

Racist.

It is you who came up with that racist conclusion, not me.
Haha, Billy, I take it you thought this as a joke? If not, ignore the 'haha' bit.

But I think dasty was referring to the fact that the black person would be, let's say, less than happy if you called him that and wouldn't believe you when you say you were talking to him in a affectionate way. Did Suarez (apparently) use the term 'negrito' or another racist term?

[h=1]AVB - Reds still in title hunt[/h][h=3]Chelsea boss praises Mersey opponents[/h]
Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas believes Liverpool are still in the hunt for the Premier League title by virtue of their significant summer spending.
The Blues tackle Kenny Dalglish's men at Stamford Bridge on Sunday bidding to close the 12 point gap between themselves and table-toppers Manchester City.
Three successive home draws have seen Liverpool's momentum stall, but they know a win in west London will bring them level with their opponents.
Many are already suggesting a two-horse race for the title between the two Manchester clubs, but Villas-Boas has refused to rule out the prospects of Liverpool thanks to the Anfield club's history and heavy investment in players over the summer.
"I've always seen them as title contenders because it's been assumed by them that they would do it," said the Portuguese.
"Dalglish has made the necessary changes to Liverpool for them to progress to title contenders this year.
"He made seven changes to the team, seven coming in, which represents the type of commitment the ownership have to put them back on title-winning ways.

[h=4]Title[/h]
"They are one of the biggest clubs in England and I always assumed they were challenging for the title."
Speaking about his own side's prospects, Villas-Boas admits that his side are facing a crucial month of domestic league, cup and European action.
"It's a good period for the different competitions," he added. "You can qualify for the last 16 of the Champions League, the Premier League can maybe start taking its pattern by the end of December.
"There's also a quarter-final in the Carling Cup with Liverpool, which gives us a chance to go into that competition next year."
Villas-Boas has also challenged Daniel Sturridge to maintain his level of performance after making his England debut in midweek.
The 22-year-old capped a successful year with a first appearance for Fabio Capello's side in the 1-0 win against Sweden on Tuesday, and his club manager now hopes he can prove he deserves to stay in his national squad.
"His performances for the club have taken him to England, and to a first appearance, which is something that is gratifying," said the former Porto boss.
"When someone arrives at that level, you have to prove you can continue to be at that level. That's the challenge he faces."

AVB - Reds still in title hunt | Football News | Sky Sports

Liverpool line up

Reina, Enrique, Johnson, Skrtel, Agger, Lucas, Adam, Kuyt, Maxi, Bellamy, Suarez.

Subs: Doni, Downing, Carroll, Carragher, Henderson, Kelly, Spearing.

Does anyone have a good live stream (without downloading things like MyP2P)? :)

Back