The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
It'd be a big miss, but I imagine Firmino would slot back into Mane's role and Sturridge start up top in Firmino's role, Firmino's work rate just as good if not better than Mane's, but Mane's pace is devastating. I'd say they'll get through it fine, when I think about it now, I think Bailly could be a bigger miss for us.

Hmm I'm not sure actually, Mane seems to always make Liverpool look a stronger side when he plays and suits Klopp's system so well. But on the other hand Bailly could be replaced with Smalling and Blind fitting alongside him like the partnership we used for some part of last season.

Both will be big losses don't get me wrong but interesting topic nevertheless. I would say that would be the logical solution for replacing Mane what you said. But time shall tell I guess who feels the impact of missing out on their player the most!

Put Moreno at LB then Milner to replace Mane ;)

Still need to write something on Milner and how outstanding a move that's been but it's interesting Klopp has gone out of his way to say Moreno has been outstanding in training. And he was a whole bunch better against Derby. Disciplined defensively whilst still adding to the attacking transition down the left. But sensible when he chose to do it.

If this season being taken out of the firing line just training and sat watching and learning from Milner and what's expected from the position finally resinates, the long term solution there may yet still be on the books.

Last edited:
Glad Milner is getting some credit, I've always liked him.

Hard working, never hear much about him off the pitch, will play wherever he's asked and generally does a good job.

Getting him on a free was also great business

Glad Milner is getting some credit, I've always liked him.

Hard working, never hear much about him off the pitch, will play wherever he's asked and generally does a good job.

Getting him on a free was also great business

Absolutely mate. You don't appreciate just what a fantastic professional James Milner is and just what he brings to a team until he's at your club. (I was guilty myself of questioning the pick-up two summers ago.). Such a highly intelligent footballer who can pretty much play in any position you put him in and still give you a consistent 7 out of 10 that rarely if ever falls below that. And he just get's on with it without complaint. To his massive credit, he came under one manager with the promise that he'd get to play in his preferred central midfield role, and that lasted all of 3 months with the change of manager last October. And he's not grumbled once wherever he's been asked to play since. He was my L'pool Player of the Year last year. Involved in more L'pool goals, both scoring and assisting, than any other player. Whilst playing everywhere from both wings to left full back and most points in between. Always giving 100% every time he took to the pitch.

Moving him to LB has been an absolute stroke of genius from Klopp. And it's become patently obvious it was by design and not the bunkum thrown around that he's an 'emergency LB' for Liverpool. He isn't. He's Klopp's chosen/ designated player for the role and his skill set fits it perfectly for the way Jurgen's Liverpool play.

Always been a fan of wrong footed players at fullback as they can cut inside with ease. Stevie Nicol, although strong on both feet, is a great example for L'pool. To a lesser extent in that regard attack wise, but still highly effective, Dennis Irwin springs instantly to mind in the PL era for Utd. (The best LB the PL has seen IMHO but that's for another thread and another debate.). Milner has the energy to be up and down, and can equally go outside or in the attacking third. Never seen a player with SO little pace that SO consistently beats his man. It's like he's up against you and you know he's got snails speed, but somehow, someway, you're chasing him as he's wriggled past you haha. He's becoming adroit at megin people for fun this year. And he's so intelligent in understanding others rolls on the entire football field that positionally he's got better and better in his new position by the game defensively.

If you remember I wasn't going ape over the lack of a LB signing this summer and was trying to calm fellow reds on Milner playing there when it became apparent he was the first choice because of how savvy a football he is. (Even if I didn't think it was ideal.). Boy that Klopp fella' sure knows what he's doing huh? ..... Having a midfielder who's SO comfortable on the ball and crosses a wicked ball play in a position that see's as much of the ball as any other in our system was genius. He's been our best playmaker this year and then some. We'd seen him play there the Legue Cup final when City ended up tactically substituting and doubling up on him to cope. Then again at Utd in the Europa League when he completely bossed that side. And when you throw in that the only substantial bid we made for a LB this summer was Leicester's Chilwell, a 19 year old kid who's never made a PL appearance and who would of been sat learning this year anyway; it's become more and more apparent that from back the second half of last year Klopp and his staff had identified Milner as the ideal LB for their Liverpool.

And honestly, there are VERY few if any reds still clamouring for a new LB in January such has been his league leading form the first couple of months of the year in the position. Which most assuredly wasn't the case the end of the last window.

As if all the above wasn't enough, man alive does he take a mean penalty haha. (8 out of 8 and counting for LFC.).

And you DON'T want him scoring against you or else forget it. 44 goals he's scored the PL through 45 games (scored in) his career and counting and he's NEVER been on the loosing side when that's happened. (37 wins/ 8 draws.).

Couldn't be happier with James Milner. L'pool's all round LB.

Who isn't. ;).

Last edited:
I love Milner with all of my heart

Yeah I remember reading people slagging Milner off when he went to Liverpool and thought to myself "I thought Liverpool fans loved hard working players that give everything" *eyes to Kuyt*

Wages I assume are high but I discount that when you get a quality player on a free from a league rival.

I think every team needs a player that will dig in to whatever role he's asked to do. Milner seems to be the kind of guy that just 'gets' the roles even if technically he isn't as great as some others

Yeah I remember reading people slagging Milner off when he went to Liverpool and thought to myself "I thought Liverpool fans loved hard working players that give everything" *eyes to Kuyt*

Wages I assume are high but I discount that when you get a quality player on a free from a league rival.

I think every team needs a player that will dig in to whatever role he's asked to do. Milner seems to be the kind of guy that just 'gets' the roles even if technically he isn't as great as some others

The problem with Milner is he was decent at right mid but the position he was bought for which is central midfield he was utterly hopeless. If anything like Scouse said Klopp should be getting the plaudits for seeing how good Milner can be at fullback. So now the club have gone from possibly having a high earning squad player to an excellent first team fullback.

C'mon, cut guy some slack... He's new in a country, playing with new teammates, new style of football and all that after hand injury. Karius is a ****'a keeper, just give him time to adapt.

Yeh but he has looked just as shaky so far.

De Gea was highly rated yet shaky his fist period at United.

Not saying Karius is as good, but Liverpool fans will certainly be hoping for a similar impact as ol Dave

Yeh but he has looked just as shaky so far.

Over 3 games. In a completely different style of football. And only one of them with his first choice back four in front of them. All after missing 6 weeks valuable training time, aside from the games, to get an understanding and bed down with them.

From the player voted the second best in the Bundesliga last year in his position by his fellow professionals to a serious concern .....

You're funny. But we appreciate your concern on our behalf.

I'll let yers into a secret ..... Most Reds ..... we aren't concerned in the slightest over Karius. ;).

Last edited:
The problem with Milner is he was decent at right mid but the position he was bought for which is central midfield he was utterly hopeless. If anything like Scouse said Klopp should be getting the plaudits for seeing how good Milner can be at fullback. So now the club have gone from possibly having a high earning squad player to an excellent first team fullback.
That's a bit of an early judgement on Milner? How many games has he played there? Karius has only played 3 games. There's no need for panic.

C'mon, cut guy some slack... He's new in a country, playing with new teammates, new style of football and all that after hand injury. Karius is a ****'a keeper, just give him time to adapt.

He was at MCFC for 3 years.. lol.

Back