The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Funny that. Worst performance of the season yet arguably the biggest win. Coming from behind, at a place where the perception we went behind would of been 'same old L'pool.' Yet these Reds ARE different. And they again showed they can dig in and grind out the W. Real statement game to the doubters that.

Couldn't be happier the way this side is developing and the way this season has started.

Last edited:
It'll help with Lallana and Lovren like, but SO frustrating to have to wait a full 16 days until the next game.

These Reds have you wanting to play Utd like tomorrow! Gonna' be a LONG fortnight and mores wait.

BTW, something to make you in particular smile even more-

Only Fernandinho at City has been a better #6 than Henderson this season if you go off the stats. And he isn't a typical DM either in Pep's system.

Must be a Bundesliga thing. Smiles.

Trying my best to avoid the obvious cancer in the thread otherwise it'll be LFC v United #893.

We'll let the players do the talking on the pitch come the 17th. Haven't felt this confident about the squad in a very long time. We are Liverpool tra la la la

Trying my best to avoid the obvious cancer in the thread otherwise it'll be LFC v United #893.

We'll let the players do the talking on the pitch come the 17th. Haven't felt this confident about the squad in a very long time. We are Liverpool tra la la la

They touch our trees, there WILL be blood!

That's all I'm saying! :@.

Very good win yesterday - It felt the kind of game we would have dropped points in the past.

Only thing that is worrying me a little with United is the aerial power and set-peices, but if our attack plays the way it has been I'm unsure how they'all be able to stop it.

Under the lights at Anfield - Can not wait!

Been meaning to ask BTW ..... Still think these Reds are a '5th-7th placed team at best?' ;).

My opinion does not change over the course of a few games, I still think you will struggle to make top 4, that's my honest opinion. I don't think you have the depth and the quality to keep this consistency going throughout the intense periods such as Christmas. That is when this type of playing will really start to tell on your players and keeping it up for a whole season is going to be very difficult the way you play.

Going to to be a tight season regardless but when you think about it there is United, City, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and maybe even a dark horse like Everton in the running for them places.

My opinion does not change over the course of a few games, I still think you will struggle to make top 4, that's my honest opinion. I don't think you have the depth and the quality to keep this consistency going throughout the intense periods such as Christmas. That is when this type of playing will really start to tell on your players and keeping it up for a whole season is going to be very difficult the way you play.

Going to to be a tight season regardless but when you think about it there is United, City, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and maybe even a dark horse like Everton in the running for them places.

The possession game that is having opposing teams absolutely goosed by half time/ into the second half chashing the ball? ;). People really don't understand a Jurgen Klopp side and just default nto his teams being all about pressing.

And there's NO way Everton are a dark horse for anything. 2 of the first 6 will miss out the top 4 but Everton will do well to bed fighting for a Europa League place.

The possession game that is having opposing teams absolutely goosed by half time/ into the second half chashing the ball? ;). People really don't understand a Jurgen Klopp side and just default nto his teams being all about pressing.

And there's NO way Everton are a dark horse for anything. 2 of the first 6 will miss out the top 4 but Everton will do well to bed fighting for a Europa League place.

i said someone like Everton, you never know in this league there could be someone who does a Leicester and has a really good season. Anyway if that does or doesn't happen the competition for top places is still very strong.

No matter how you look at Klopps system it is very intensive and will be an achievement in itself if you keep it up for whole season.

Plus I still don't rate your defence or goalkeeper and that's all my thinking basically as to why I don't think you are going to be a contender, you will come close but fall short of top 4 I reckon, that's my opinion anyway.

Last edited:
..... No matter how you look at Klopps system it is very intensive and will be an achievement in itself if you keep it up for whole season.

Plus I still don't rate your defence or goalkeeper and that's all my thinking basically as to why I don't think you are going to be a contender, you will come close but fall short of top 4 I reckon, that's my opinion anyway.

Presume that rules out City for the top 4 too as Pep's just as intensive and City's defence has as much question marks as anyones? ;).

I like your thinking here. City and L'pool ruled out. Leaving Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and United. You've found a way to get Utd into the top 4 by subtraction! Brilliant work that man! :D.

Presume that rules out City for the top 4 too as Pep's just as intensive and City's defence has as much question marks as anyones? ;).

I like your thinking here. City and L'pool ruled out. Leaving Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and United. You've found a way to get Utd into the top 4 by subtraction! Brilliant work that man! :D.

Thanks! But I don't know, like you say, your fitness is better this year than it was last so that may not be a factor as much. With someone like City they may struggle more as they have Europe to contend with. I don't know, it will be interesting to see how both you guys do in terms of overall season playing the way you do. But to be honest the similarities between Pep and Klopp tactically there isn't much in common. As Klopp once himself said he is more of a heavy metal get the ball forward attacking in numbers fast approach whereas Pep is more along the LvG lines methodical, keep the ball ticking and in possession at all costs.

If you look at the way both are setting up and playing this year (the way they're both bringing a new innovation into the English game by playing a bunch of number 10 quality ball players in the middle, rather than the traditional English centre midfielder, and not playing with a number 10 per se/ not having a traditional DM, but an all rounder in the 6 role with the rest of the team combination also compensating/ splitting the centre halves wide and dropping the deeper midfielder in between, often being in a 3-4-3 look et all), there's little difference between City and L'pool these first two groups of games.

Interesting that it's the two managers that have come from the Bundesliga that are obviously seeing weakness' in the English game to be the two going this way.

Last edited:
Just need Burnley to get something for an almost perfect weekend to round out the second group of fixtures.

Both Manchester clubs left to stew on bad results for the next 16 days whilst at the other end of the East Lancs the Klopp revolution goes from strength to strength.

Life is frigging boss if you're a Red. :).

Just need Burnley to get something for an almost perfect weekend to round out the second group of fixtures.

My gut tells me they can get something here, definitely no push-over's. Was impressed with how solid they were against Watford on Monday night.

My gut tells me they can get something here, definitely no push-over's. Was impressed with how solid they were against Watford on Monday night.

Arsenal score early it could be a rout.

They don't, and I can well see Burnley taking it. Arsenal don't have anything like other top clubs firepower to dig in and come back.

Back