The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Oh well, Wenger does have a history of having messed up milestone games..(Anyine remember the 6-0 rout vs Chelsea on his 1000th game?)Why Arsenal insist on playing a passing game over a counter attacking game like the Invincibles is a mystery to me..They have Ozil for the counters, not to mention Sanchez's and Chamberlain's speed, so it could surely work...

Just need Burnley to get something for an almost perfect weekend to round out the second group of fixtures.

Both Manchester clubs left to stew on bad results for the next 16 days whilst at the other end of the East Lancs the Klopp revolution goes from strength to strength.

Life is frigging boss if you're a Red. :).

Lord, I can't wait for us to bring you back down to reality. |)

I normally dread facing United, but so far ive seen nothing to be scared of from United. If Rooney starts then we will win easily. Can see it being another 4-1

I normally dread facing United, but so far ive seen nothing to be scared of from United. If Rooney starts then we will win easily. Can see it being another 4-1

Love this. No covering in case you lose, honest confidence & prediction. I think we'll surprise you, I think we can get a point and maybe nick 3.

De Gea putting in another superman performance and Utd's continued luck against L'pool is the only nagging fear.

But then I guess Ibrahimovic never having scored and looking bang average his four European games against L'pool, and Klopp owning Mourinho in their head-to-heads levels any 'bad' omens out.

Quietly confident for similar. But then I would be against any side in the World right now with these Reds.

With Jordan Henderson's Worldie at Chelsea winning September's MOTD's Goal of the Month, to follow Sadio Mane's individual brilliance at Arsenal winning August's; it brought to mind Kenny's great '87/'88 side, the best side I've ever seen and arguably the best this Country's ever produced. (**** knows how many more European Cups we'd of had now had that side not been deprived of the biggest stage of all by the European ban. The one regret of my footballing life. Not seeing those great Reds against Sacchi's great Milan side of the three Dutch maters. That would of been a purists wet dream and then some.). Who that season contested all 10 goals in Match of the Day's 'Goal of the Season' completion. The first and to date only time in the programmes 52 year history that one team has had all 10 goals contesting that honour.

[video=youtube;Xz92Ty7EyMM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz92Ty7EyMM[/video]

These current, special Reds are the closest L'pool team I've seen to that glorious side. Certainly the one with the most attacking options. For brilliant attacking play from full back from Steve Nicol read James Milner. For composed, classy ball playing defending at the back from Alan Hansen read Joel Matip. For unsung heroes in midfield that did the simple things and kept everything flowing (Ronnie Whelan) read Gini Wijnaldum. For complete, all round midfield dominator Steve McMahon read the fast growing into that role Jordan Henderson. For the impish attacking genius of Peter Beardsley read Bobby Firmino. For the mercurial difference making special talents of John Barnes read Sadio Mane. And on and on.

Who knows if this year will ultimately end in the triumph of 1988? But one things for sure, it's going to be one **** of an exhilarating ride watching these special Reds try emulate them.

Last edited:
With Jordan Henderson's Worldie at Chelsea winning September's MOTD's Goal of the Month, to follow Sadio Mane's individual brilliance at Arsenal winning August's; it brought to mind Kenny's great '87/'88 side, the best side I've ever seen and arguably the best this Country's ever produced. (**** knows how many more European Cups we'd of had now had that side not been deprived of the biggest stage of all by the European ban. The one regret of my footballing life. Not seeing those great Reds against Sacchi's great Milan side of the three Dutch maters. That would of been a purists wet dream and then some.). Who that season contested all 10 goals in Match of the Day's 'Goal of the Season' completion. The first and to date only time in the programmes 52 year history that one team has had all 10 goals contesting that honour.

[video=youtube;Xz92Ty7EyMM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz92Ty7EyMM[/video]

These current, special Reds are the closest L'pool team I've seen to that glorious side. Certainly the one with the most attacking options. For brilliant attacking play from full back from Steve Nicol read James Milner. For composed, classy ball playing defending at the back from Alan Hansen read Joel Matip. For unsung heroes in midfield that did the simple things and kept everything flowing (Ronnie Whelan) read Gini Wijnaldum. For complete, all round midfield dominator Steve McMahon read the fast growing into that role Jordan Henderson. For the impish attacking genius of Peter Beardsley read Bobby Firmino. For the mercurial difference making special talents of John Barnes read Sadio Mane. And on and on.

Who knows if this year will ultimately end in the triumph of 1988? But one things for sure, it's going to be one **** of an exhilarating ride watching these special Reds try emulate them.

Little OTT here Scouse for a man that likes to say other people do it :P Matip can't be used in the same breath as Hansen, same goes for Mane being compared to John Barnes.

Chill, it's only October ;)

Little OTT here Scouse for a man that likes to say other people do it :P Matip can't be used in the same breath as Hansen, same goes for Mane being compared to John Barnes.

Chill, it's only October ;)

And just where did you get a player for player comparison out of that?

But if you want to read it again and take player for player roles in the respective teams you'd be welcome. ;).

Johnny Aldridge can F right off in his Echo column calling for Mingolet to be back in nets for Utd.

3 f-ing games Karius has had in England. And only one Sat'day, with the first choice back 4. The dopey Belgium buffoons had 3 f-ing years.

Idiot.

Johnny Aldridge can F right off in his Echo column calling for Mingolet to be back in nets for Utd.

3 f-ing games Karius has had in England. And only one Sat'day, with the first choice back 4. The dopey Belgium buffoons had 3 f-ing years.

Idiot.
well he is the poor mans ian rush

Interesting topic but has anyone thought about how you guys will replace what Mane adds to your attacking play when he goes to the AFCON in January?

Interesting topic but has anyone thought about how you guys will replace what Mane adds to your attacking play when he goes to the AFCON in January?

It'd be a big miss, but I imagine Firmino would slot back into Mane's role and Sturridge start up top in Firmino's role, Firmino's work rate just as good if not better than Mane's, but Mane's pace is devastating. I'd say they'll get through it fine, when I think about it now, I think Bailly could be a bigger miss for us.

A direct one-for-one would be Ojo, but in all honesty the fluidity of this team with none of the front 6 (I'm including Milner in that as he's been our top playmaker this year. From LB) having a set position nullifies the loss of any individual. And with the added pace of an Ojo or Wijnaldum even less so.

The major plus there is Matip and the Cameroonian coach not getting along to the point they just don't speak now. So no fear of him going.

Last edited:
Back