The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Well done to Can on getting goal of the season too.

Pretty average season if I'm being honest, to **** bricks for top 4 until the last day when you've had no Europe is kind of lame.

Pretty average season if I'm being honest, to **** bricks for top 4 until the last day when you've had no Europe is kind of lame.

You sound like Roy Keane.

He was talking out of his narky **** on the top 4 as well.

Tyton has a very valid point. Look at all the hype on this thread in the summer about Liverpool being 'champions-elect' and the 'most exciting team in Europe'. To be barely hanging onto a Top 4 place on the final day of the season surely classifies as a failure.

L'pool achieve exactly what they set out to do as a football club.

Therefore L'pool fail.

Up the Red Failures!

Tyton has a very valid point. Look at all the hype on this thread in the summer about Liverpool being 'champions-elect' and the 'most exciting team in Europe'. To be barely hanging onto a Top 4 place on the final day of the season surely classifies as a failure.
Its been a 6/10 season. Yes without Europe we shouldve been involved in a title challenge, however injuries and Mane missing all happened at the worst time. Hopefully Klopp can improve the squad depth in the summer and also further promote the talented youths we have.

Its been a 6/10 season. Yes without Europe we shouldve been involved in a title challenge, however injuries and Mane missing all happened at the worst time. Hopefully Klopp can improve the squad depth in the summer and also further promote the talented youths we have.

It feels like a 6/10 season mate because we had a genuine shot at the title the turn of the year before injuries really hit.

But in reality, it's been much better than that. To make a 4 place/ 16 pont jump with all the injuries, along with nothing like the money spent by our competitiors, and be one of the clubs depriving both Mourinho and Wenger a CL place for the first time in their managerial careers is testament to all involved.

It feels like a 6/10 season mate because we had a genuine shot at the title the turn of the year before injuries really hit.

But in reality, it's been much better than that. To make a 4 place/ 16 pont jump with all the injuries, along with nothing like the money spent by our competitiors, and be one of the clubs depriving both Mourinho and Wenger a CL place for the first time in their managerial careers is testament to all involved.
But to be 3 or so points off Chelsea only for a crazy two months to completely derail us and knock us out of the cups aswell is hard to take. For what it's worth we have made progress and I'm looking forward to next season but this time I hope we keep Coutinho and not sell like we did with Suarez. To progress it is imperative you keep the best players at the club and add quality on top of that.

But to be 3 or so points off Chelsea only for a crazy two months to completely derail us and knock us out of the cups aswell is hard to take. For what it's worth we have made progress and I'm looking forward to next season but this time I hope we keep Coutinho and not sell like we did with Suarez. To progress it is imperative you keep the best players at the club and add quality on top of that.

Talking of Phil, his numbers Sunday were ridiculous again from deep just like West Ham.

7/7 successful take-ons.
93/108 passes completed.
3 of 5 shots on target with one great goal.

Honestly, I don't think he's ever looked as comfortable as he has the last two games in a red shirt. Even more so than '13/'14 given he's matured and developed into an even better footballer now with the experience. If you'd said to me the last two games we'd play 2 up with a midfield diamond behind, I'd of had Phil at the forefront of that. But playing him 10/15 yards deeper than Lallana is just devastating. He's just gliding around and past people and completely dictating the whole play. How do you defend that? Middlesbrough and West Ham have tried getting tight and kicking him out the game and he's just dropped his shoulder and rode the tackles leaving him with the whole field ahead of him. Even if you do take him out with a couple of players, you're creating more space ahead with players left free. You sit deep and try cut out his passing lanes, and he's got all the space the World to come forward and shoot. It's like a combined Iniesta/ Messi role for Barcelona. Lads just can't get near him.

Coutinho playmaking from deep with the whole field and even more quality options ahead of him ..... Man Europes gonna' be another fun filled ride next year.

Liverpool FC in Sydney tonight! Can't wait, hope they wipe the floor with Sydney FC haha

Liverpool FC in Sydney tonight! Can't wait, hope they wipe the floor with Sydney FC haha

Hope yers have a boss time if yer there kid.

I know a few lads from Dubai who went out Sunday evening after the 'Boro game instead of going home. (Hardly ever miss a match. More money than sense and a ridiculous amount of holidays nobody can fathem lol.). They looked to be having a brilliant time in Manly yesterday from the photies I seen last night.

Surprised that they were still advertising tickets the match Sunday but it appears all 75K have gone now.

If it's anything like that magical night the MCG a few years back it'll be a great occasion for all you lads out there.

[video=youtube;5iLL57puZPM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iLL57puZPM[/video]

Last edited:
A few personal 'bests' from this season:

Best trip of the Season: Mainz. Jibbing Barca at Wembley and going Saturday- Monday was an inspired move. Brilliant, relaxed weekend under the baking sun in a gorgeously quaint little German City by the Rhine.

Best Home Game: Everton.

Best Away Game: As a game of outstanding pure footie from both sides played at a ridiculous pace throughout, City. And Arsenal or Chelsea is the correct answer. But Palace was a mad day. 4 or 5 hours the Croyden Bear Festival, then rolling into Selhurst, literally, for a mad game of footie in a bouncing atmosphere.

Maddest Celebration: Everton and Mané ruining their Chrimbo in the cruellest but utterly greatest of ways! Best. Celebration EVER!

Best vocal at a Game: Away the League Cup at Burton. That was an old school, throwback night stood up with 90 minutes constant song after song where we went through the whole back catalogue. Boss to see a lot of the younger lads knowing the words to songs that hadn't been sung in years too. A brilliant night that.

Roll on Berlin!

Last edited:
Given Ajax are finally back in a European final tonight for the first time in 21 years, seems a good time to say Giorgino Wijnaldum is my player of the year. The correct answer to that is Mané or Phil of course. But Gini's become one of our biggest cult heroes at the match and I've FULLY bought into that watching him up close haha!

Gini deserves a lot more recognition than he gets from fans and pundits. He's been superb in the main from his first game. And not just weighing in with 6 goals and 10 assits his first season in red either. He does all the grafting to allow players like Phil, Lallana, et all to flourish and do their thing. For someone that came with a reputation of being a typical #10 with the ego's they invariably carry, with Newcastle fans telling us 'he wasn't a team player/ would go missing away from home/ was lazy et all', he's been one of, if not the most selfless player on both sides most every game we've played this year. He's way stronger than I ever imagined he was. His passing and touch are typically Dutch sublime. He's always playing off the front foot and is on the turn when he receives the ball so the space is already created. Get's forward brilliantly to support the attack. And his work rate is absolutely phenomenal. He allows Henderson/ Can and even Milner to bomb forward at times by just dropping in and doing the donkey work protecting them. He's just a real tidy, intelligent, top ability footballer who keeps everything ticking over.

I think the reason he goes under the radar is you probably have to be at the match to fully appreciate what he does. You're not going to get him picked out on MOTD as a focus. He's strong in the tackle, keeps everything ticking over with his passing, his intelligence at always being open to receive and play is brilliant. He is Ronnie Whelan. And just like Ronnie Whelan, he's going under appreciated by many who still say 'I don't know what Gini Wijnaldum does?' because he's not blaming them in from 20 yards or up there topping the assists. (Although his goals and assists, not least in big, difference making games, have steadily increased the longer the years gone on.). But nobody protects the football better in that aesthetically lovely Dutch way. Not just protecting it and keeping it. But protecting it and going forward. This new, deeper role Klopp and co, devised for him this season has suited him completely down to the ground.

He's one of the most vital cogs of all to me in this side and like the aforementioned Whelan, it's when he's not in the side that you suddenly realise and appreciate just what you're missing.

When we add Keita or whomever to the mix of Phil, Lallana, Gini, Can, Henderson and Grujic, with eager quality youngsters like Ejaria and Ben; the midfield rotation and options game-on-game are as strong as anything in this league.

And Gini Wijnaldum is a MASSIVE part of that.

Last edited:
I don't know what the heck 'The Anfield Index' is. But the figures don't lie.

The next evolution of Phil's game to consistently become one of the best players the World over.

[video=youtube;FHD8HKvo6L8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHD8HKvo6L8[/video]

Hope yers have a boss time if yer there kid.

I know a few lads from Dubai who went out Sunday evening after the 'Boro game instead of going home. (Hardly ever miss a match. More money than sense and a ridiculous amount of holidays nobody can fathem lol.). They looked to be having a brilliant time in Manly yesterday from the photies I seen last night.

Surprised that they were still advertising tickets the match Sunday but it appears all 75K have gone now.

If it's anything like that magical night the MCG a few years back it'll be a great occasion for all you lads out there.

Yep it was amazing, all three goals were scored down the end I was at, and watching Firmino and Sturridge tie the defenders in knots was so good! Unreal experience

And a minute's silence for Manchester I thought was an important touch too

Yep it was amazing, all three goals were scored down the end I was at, and watching Firmino and Sturridge tie the defenders in knots was so good! Unreal experience

And a minute's silence for Manchester I thought was an important touch too

Great stuff. Made up it was so fun for you guys and the Reds treated it respectfully and gave you a game. The support out there is ridiculous with another 73K tipping up. Only seen the highlights as I was working the game (darn time difference), but it looked a fun evening. Particularly first half. Sorry the defo penalty on Stevie wasn't given. Him scoring in front of you would of just rounded iff a perfect night I would imagine. And when Sturridge plays like that, like he has the last two games the league season ..... Man alive if his body wasn't made of biscuits. Sighs.

Interesting, and no less great, that L'pool flat out rebuffed Celtic wanting Wilson on any sort of deal. Loan or permanent.

Presumably, that now puts Ryan Kent in line to move on after his great year at Barnsley last term. Which is sound in itself. Turning a profit on what you've put the time into is just as important a part of an Academy conveyer belt as getting the exceptional ones through to your first team squad.

Here's to Wilson having a Ben or Ovie like leap this summer like they did last.

Back