The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Completely with you on de Boer z. Gonna' be a long season for him with little patience to allow him to try change Palace.

Strange move.

Completely with you on de Boer z. Gonna' be a long season for him with little patience to allow him to try change Palace.

Strange move.

Indeed, I just can't see it working out for him.. I mean I admire the way he tries to get teams to play a nice brand of football. But with a team like that... I just can't see it working at all. You could argue that a lot of their goals they conceded was just down to poorly organised defence, which is inexcusable in the Premier League. Although tbf to him, he's not the only team who looked disorganized in defensive scenarios on the opening weekend! Won't get away with that if it's a consistent issue though.

Stream the Sky Sports version? Bound to be somewhere. Live on the SkySp PL channel

Anyway. Are the KOP actually stealing our Nemanja Vidic chant for Grujic? Lol.

I agree with you guys. Does not seem like the right appointment. Pardew tried to get ambitious with this squad and look what that got him. I do not want Palace to be another West Brom either.

Liverpool are dominating possession but I think they will find it difficult to break down Palace. I think it will come down to who makes the first mistake in a set piece. And if Palace scores first, things are going to get crazy.

I'll take the three points at this stage of the season. Dont understand Klopp's decisions especially the midfield today. I thought id seen the last of watching Milner attempt to play central midfield...

Good win. Deserved to nick the 3 points.

On another note, sorry I just don't see much in Wijnaldum as a CM to progress you to another level. Been thinking it for a little while now tbh, but kept it to myself. Keita or someone of that ilk shouldn't depend on whether Coutinho goes or not, you can upgrade on the Dutch fella who I forget is on the pitch so often. Ok, he may but in a lot of graft or whatever, but he literally never gets on the ball/stamps his marks on games.. he's supposed to be your CM?!

Touches from Liverpool's CM's today:

Milner 124
Henderson 98
Wijnaldum 37

Passes from Liverpool's CM's today:

Milner 116
Henderson 83
Wijnaldum 28

Even Milivojevic saw more of the ball in midfield for Palace..

Sums him up

Last edited:
Good win. Deserved to nick the 3 points.

On another note, sorry I just don't see much in Wijnaldum as a CM to progress you to another level. Been thinking it for a little while now tbh, but kept it to myself. Keita or someone of that ilk shouldn't depend on whether Coutinho goes or not, you can upgrade on the Dutch fella who I forget is on the pitch so often. Ok, he may but in a lot of graft or whatever, but he literally never gets on the ball/stamps his marks on games.. he's supposed to be your CM?!

Touches from Liverpool's CM's today:

Milner 124
Henderson 98
Wijnaldum 37

Passes from Liverpool's CM's today:

Milner 116
Henderson 83
Wijnaldum 28

Even Milivojevic saw more of the ball in midfield for Palace..

Sums him up

I was skeptical when we get gini last year but he proved me and a lot of people wrong. He just better in a dlp role than a ap.

And he was getting praise on top of praise from Pool fans all season, so you're not alone Spook. A mate of mine says he was the signing of the entire season (not exaggerating much), but I'm yet to see what the hype is about. He's a tidy hard working player, who goes anonymous for long spells in games, not the traits you want from your CM. People say Pogba doesn't have an effect in some big games but even when he's having a bad game, he doesn't shy away from the ball etc.

Whether it's highest CM of a 3, deepest, or double pivot - you're still looking for him to get on the ball/be involved in build up throughout the 90. That's just my standard beliefs of a CM, probably spoilt with Scholes & co over the years though.

Fwiw I disagree with Van though, you did deserve the win. Simply for the fact you were the better team.

Well that was a weird game.

Didn't feel like we played too well. Particularly first half. But then you think Hennesey made 5 or 6 top draw saves and on another day you're coming away with a 6 or 7- 0 win. Very professional, patient 1-0 win with all the changes after the European game which is mighty encouraging. (Might be wrong but I don't remember our league win ratio being that great after a Euro away even under Rafa?). The most comfortable we've handedled Palace and Benteke at home in a good few years. They barely had a kick. (Just looking at the stats as I type and I didn't realise we dominated to SUCH an extent. 13 on target to Palaces 1. Along with dominating most every other category. Weird game as I said.).

First half all about patience. Got to admit I was a bit narked the team selection soon as that came through before the game. But ironically defensively it played out perfectly. Klaven was completely assured in his best outing in a long while. Everything Lovren's not been the first two games. Gomez grew steadily back into a composed display his first PL start for over a year. And after that debut from Robbo, if Alby Moreno plays Wednesday I'mma be WELL ******. Great game and his delivery is superb. So great to now have two FB's, he and Trent, who can really cross a ball and add to the attack. Dominated the play without creating too much whilst restricting Palace to next to nottin'.

Second half the chances came and we saw the game out great again. The change of Wijnaldum (the only poor player today but no worries there. We know how integral he was last year and just what he brings) for Solanke summed up what we're all about. That basically flipped us from the 4-3-3/ 4-3-2-1 of the first half to a 4-2-4 all out attack the second with his introduction. Real unlucky not to bag his first goal. Keep on saying it but the kids a natural striker who's gonna' be scoring the PL sooner rather than later. Chelsea, again, WTF were you thinking? The flowing interchange of the front 4 from then on out was a joy to see. Particularly against Palace who basically sat with 7 back at all times. Something we supposedly can't breakdown. Sturridge did well but Solanke completely changed it. And then there's Salah coming on and interchanging with Sadio (who again, is our most important player. For all Phil's been talked up that way the last few weeks. He may be our best. But Mané's the most important player in what we run), completely perplexing Palace on who to pick up. And I didn't think Sadio was that great today. With Firmino as workaholic and invaluable to the team ethic as ever without scoring.

Great when you change a few things and put a side out like that, dominate to such an extent, and still have a bench as strong as that was when you're bringing on the likes of Salah and not needing to have the likes of Can stripped off.

Very, very pleasing win off the back of an excellent European win through the week. Utterly dominant, professional 1-0 without ever feeling like it was utterly dominant. Weird game.

Up the Grown Up Reds!

Back