The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Not aware Grujic has ever had a song so whatever you thought you heard mate it wasn't that.

Heard "_____ woaah, he comes from serbia, he'll ******* murder ya" couldn't quite make out the name clearly, but could've sworn it was like 'Mar Grujic'

Stevie Gerrard's first competitive managerial win this morning too 3-2 the 18's against Blackburn after last week's 1-1 opener.

Come to think of it, did sound a bit low for home fans. Might've been Palace

They get more hilariously incompetent by the passing day:

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQFollow

More

BREAKING: Barcelona have informed Liverpool that they have until Sunday evening to change their mind on Coutinho or it will be withdrawn.​

11:08 am - 19 Aug 2017

Anfield HQ
Verified account @AnfieldHQ
1hMore

Replying to @AnfieldHQ
The Catalan club has managed to do something which has served as a source of amusement for Liverpool’s power brokers. (Paul Joyce)

Anfield HQ
1hMore

A bid Liverpool have twice told Barcelona not to make is rebuffed and their rivals’ next move is to threaten to take it away. (Paul Joyce)

Come to think of it, did sound a bit low for home fans. Might've been Palace

Dunno' mate but certainly not one of ours.

Quite a serene atmosphere for a home opener. Started off bouncing, then faded to a nice day out the sun. Made even more mad by just how much we actually dominated without ever really feeling we were during the course of the game.

Weird game and a strange day.

Think Wiji just had a poor game. Still feel he would be the first name on the sheet if we were playing against any of the top 6.

On the Serbian player, Luca Mihailovic (sp) plays for Palace and is serbian so could have been him

They get more hilariously incompetent by the passing day:

Anfield HQ‏Verified account @AnfieldHQFollow

More

BREAKING: Barcelona have informed Liverpool that they have until Sunday evening to change their mind on Coutinho or it will be withdrawn.​

11:08 am - 19 Aug 2017

Anfield HQ
1hMore

Replying to @AnfieldHQ
The Catalan club has managed to do something which has served as a source of amusement for Liverpool’s power brokers. (Paul Joyce)

Anfield HQ
1hMore

A bid Liverpool have twice told Barcelona not to make is rebuffed and their rivals’ next move is to threaten to take it away. (Paul Joyce)

how the **** does that even work what did that call sound like hello liverpool this is barca you know the 3 bid that we put in and you said no well heres the thing we will give you lot till sunday to think about and if you dont take it we will not bid again llverpool well thanks a lot now jog no puts fone down

Talking of, the ******** Cockney's were singing 'Mamadou Sakho, He's one of our own.'

Like that's gonna' nark anyone. Lads, you're welcome to him. Please, take him before the 31st with our blessing.

Think Wiji just had a poor game. Still feel he would be the first name on the sheet if we were playing against any of the top 6.

He's started this year slow, and I thought he was the poorest on the park in red today before the inspired switch of him and Dom; but said it numerous times on here. Wijnaldum I think is someone you have to actually be at the game live to appreciate just everything he does the telly doesn't pickup on.

Just having some scran than I'll add to that.

It was definitely a win Liverpool deserved, certainly more than against Hoffenheim

He's a good player, but he's more someone who keeps play ticking over tabs being decisive. He's good but I wouldn't say he was vital.

..... On another note, sorry I just don't see much in Wijnaldum as a CM to progress you to another level. Been thinking it for a little while now tbh, but kept it to myself. Keita or someone of that ilk shouldn't depend on whether Coutinho goes or not, you can upgrade on the Dutch fella who I forget is on the pitch so often. Ok, he may but in a lot of graft or whatever, but he literally never gets on the ball/stamps his marks on games.. he's supposed to be your CM?! .....

You wouldn't be alone in that train of thought. A lot of Liverpool fans, particularly online, still question what Gini actually does and just what he brings to the team. When in truth he deserves FAR more recognition that he doesn't get from fans and pundits alike.

FWIW, having watched the vast majority of his games in Red up close, here's my view on Gini and just what he brings to the side:

He's had a real slow start to this season it's true but last year he was superb from his first game. He does all the grafting to allow the attacking 4/5 to really flourish. For someone that came with a reputation of being a typical #10 with the ego's they invariably carry, with Newcastle fans telling us 'he wasn't a team player/ would go missing away from home/ was lazy et all', he's been the most selfless player on both sides the vast majority of games we played last year. He's way stronger than I ever imagined he was when he signed. His passing and touch are typically Dutch sublime. He's always playing off the front foot and is on the turn when he receives the ball so space is already created. Get's forward brilliantly to support the attack. And his work rate is absolutely phenomenal. He allows Henderson, Can or whoever else is in there with him to bomb forward at times by just dropping in and doing the donkey work protecting them. Whilst having the knack to get forward himself and contribute. I think he finished with 6 goals and 7 or 8 assists his first year. Something like that? He's just a real tidy, top ability footballer who keeps everything ticking over.

I think the reason he's still going under the radar is you probably have to be at the match to fully appreciate what he does. You're not going to get him picked out on MOTD as a focus. He's strong in the tackle, keeps everything ticking over with his passing, his intelligence at always being open to receive and play is brilliant. He's this team's Ronnie Whelan. And just like Ronnie Whelan, he's going under appreciated by many who still say 'I don't know what Gini Wijnaldum does?' because he's not blamming them in from 20 yards or up there topping the assists list. But nobody protects the football better in that aesthetically lovely Dutch way. Not just protecting it and keeping it. But protecting it and going forward. The new, deeper role Klopp and co have devised for him has suited him completely down to the ground.

He's one of the most important cogs of all to me in this side and like the aforementioned Whelan, it's when he's not in the side that you suddenly realise and appreciate just what you're missing.

He does a fair amount of what you've described, plenty of graft, tidy technique, etc. but a lot of the times I've watched Liverpool, he hasn't got on the ball/got involved in the buildup near enough imo. Someone with that tidiness/technique needs to. You say he always offers himself, but there's times I don't see him touch the ball for maybe 6 or 7 mins, even when Liverpool have a fair amount of possession in these spells. He can be completely anonymous

Against Watford, never mind his own midfield compatriots, he completed less passes than Tom Cleverley and nearly half as few as Doucoure's.

Mignolet completed more passes than him in the CL midweek lol. He had the second least touches in the Liverpool team after Firmino (who's a CF, so expected), and despite his lack of possession, no Liverpool player lost the ball more.

Not even going to start on today, forgot he was on the pitch for large parts.

I'm not saying he's a bad player, he's a good tidy player, but he doesn't get on the ball/grab games by the balls half as much as he should be.

Admittedly it's only lately I've took the notion to watch him specifically, so I'll keep an eye out as the season progresses, but it'd need to be a big improvement to win me over. CM's are the heartbeat of the team, especially one that has his level of technique. He should getting on the ball a lot more, dictating play, linking midfield to attack, being the heartbeat. Not ball shy

And so it starts. Presume that streak of yellow will now clear up quick from your back Phil?

Seleção Brasileira@BrazilStatFollow

More

ESTADÃO:#Coutinho's entourage confirms he never had the will to not play for Liverpool but had to follow his representatives instructions.​

11:01 am - 21 Aug 2017

Seleção Brasileira@BrazilStatFollow

More

ESTADÃO:It is Barça that manipulated #Coutinho to threaten Liverpool of never playing again as a tactic to increase the deal's likelihood.

Back