The Liverpool Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Steve*
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 44K
  • Views Views 3M
Really hope we get Celtic, would be an amazing atmosphere both home and away games. Plus I would love to shatter the conman's CL dreams.

Firmino man of the match for me, created all three of the early goals - defence splitting pass to Mane who backheeled for Can, only minutes after sending Mane through 1v1 with an even better pass; cut back for Wijnaldum who hit the post, Salah on the rebound; chip across to give Can an open goal - and then wrapping it up with a goal of his own, which was a harder finish than he made it look.

By no means the only excellent player but best player on the pitch tonight ahead of Mane and Can in my opinion

Firmino man of the match for me, created all three of the early goals - defence splitting pass to Mane who backheeled for Can, only minutes after sending Mane through 1v1 with an even better pass; cut back for Wijnaldum who hit the post, Salah on the rebound; chip across to give Can an open goal - and then wrapping it up with a goal of his own, which was a harder finish than he made it look.

By no means the only excellent player but best player on the pitch tonight ahead of Mane and Can in my opinion
He plays that false 9 role so ****** good. Special mention to Hendo aswell who had his best game since returning from injury. It seems everytime he doesn't play well the naysayers pipeup and spout the same nonsense.

.... Special mention to Hendo aswell who had his best game since returning from injury. It seems everytime he doesn't play well the naysayers pipeup and spout the same nonsense.

Done superb Firmino's goal to not try be the hero and unselfishly lay it off to the better-placed fella'. The fact that he won it SO high up the pitch is what we're constantly trying to explain when folk go on about positions in here. That's 'supposedly' our deepest lying midfielder/ DM. Who in the fluidity of what Klopp does, is the most advanced player of anyone that period. Agreed BTW. By far and away his best game since returning the side. Getting healthier the more he plays. Funny that.

These Reds are utterly mad mate. This isn't Rafa's European security but it's gonna' be one heck of a heart pounding European ride watching these crazy f-ers again this year!

Last edited:
What an absolutely wank League Cup draw. Leicester away. Twice in 4 days!

Just ..... Ugh!

Let's hope for FAR better this tea-time in Europe.

Ok. It's finally here! 'Holiday Lottery Day.' One of the maddest and most exciting days of the year.

In order of preference each group, I think I'd like:

Pot 1: Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Monaco, Benfica, Shakhtar Donetsk, Spartak Moscow, Juve
Pot 2: FC Porto, Atlético Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona, Borussia Dortmund, PSG
Pot 4: RB Leipzig, Maribor, Sporting Lisbon, Qarabag, APOEL Nicosia, Celtic, Feyenoord, CSKA Moscow

*Obviously couldn't draw Munich and Leipzig, or two Spanish sides.

Gonna' be REAL hard to get a bad draw there. Could well do without Donetsk, Moscow and Juve pot 1. Pot 2 is just utterly brilliant. PSG might well be moody but it's Paris. Be made up with whoever from those 6 teams. And outside of Moscow again and the head cases of Feyenoord (think I'd defo stay Amsterdam and train it in) pot 4 looks great. Even Celtic has good options to either go there and back in a day and save on holidays or stay Edinburgh and get the train across. Azerbejein be a trek but at least the Visas's are dead cheap. Nicosia is in the Northern section of Cyprus the UN advises Westerners don't go so that could be a bit mad for a footie game but I think that's more Political advice than anything else.

Roll on around half 5 tonight and let's get this thing rolling. Gonna' be great knowing the first two teams in each group before pot 3 gets pulled.

Champions League footie and breaks away in Europe. Just can't beat it!

*Edit* I'm downgrading Qarabag to behind Celtic and Nicosia pot 4 looking at options. Flights are a pricey *****.

Last edited:
Just so you know Scouse Nicosia as a city is split between Cyprus and northern Cyprus, the bit APOEL are in and their stadium is the southern half of the city controlled by Cyprus so you don't have to go into the Turkish part of Cyprus

Wonder who, if any, will arrive along with van Dijk by this time next week?

And who'll depart? Pretty sure someone will meet the Sakho fee as we get toward the deadline and people panic. Looks like we'll be stuck with Markovic for another year.

Apart from the Palace celebration or whatever, why are you selling arguably your best CB anyway? Never got the full story/looked for it

Apart from the Palace celebration or whatever, why are you selling arguably your best CB anyway? Never got the full story/looked for it

You rate him? Never got the cult thing with Sakho. On his day he can be great. But those days are few and far between. All arms and legs and little coordination to me from his head to them.

A culmination of a multitude of transgressions going back to Rodgers that this manager finally had enough of and who'd he totally be undermined by to the rest of the squad if he brought him back into the group.

Sakho was instrumental to Palace last year imo, was good but I agree he can be inconsistent. Then again that inconsistncy label can be tagged to Lovren, Klaven etc.

Sakho at Palace. Lovren at Southampton. Keane at Burnley for another. The list is endless. In the right system in a defensive side anyone can stand out.

All relative to the system. Chris Smalling's a continued woeful liability every time he's on a football pitch. But even he looked secure in van Gaal's system. Lovren looked great his year at Southampton when he had Schneiderlin and Wynama sat deep just in front of him protecting. Without that, and having to actually think for himself and do more on the ball at L'pool, not so much.

But then to be fair, Matip's been far from great either. Started off brilliant. Got injured. ***** the second half of last year on his return and this up until a great display against Palace Sat'day.

We'll concede goals even when van Dijk is back there down to the nature of our play and the chances we take going the other way. But at least he'll be far more reliable to leave one-on-one than Lovren and should be a big plus both areas from set-pieces which would help things a bunch.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll take being in any of these groups in this order please

Group H Madrid/ Dortmund.
Group B Munich/ PSG.
Group G Monaco/ Porto.

Back